Could you report number of courses and users of your Moodle site?

Could you report number of courses and users of your Moodle site?

by David Delgado -
Number of replies: 10
This would help to know the average Moodle installation and its performance, so that we could have usage statistics and this may help to improve moodle performance, solving detected problems. Please report only production sites. It would be perfect if we had the following data (I will give you data from our very little and starting production site, not registered yet):

BASIC DATA

Address: http://cursos.cicei.com

Moodle version: 1.1.1 (roll over the Moodle logo at the bottom of Moodle home page)

Number of courses: 19 (from admin/courses)

Number of users: 186 (from admin/users/edit)

Hosting: Own server at the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria ( http://www.ulpgc.es )

PERFORMANCE

Slow/Normal/Fast: Normal

Number of log entries YESTERDAY (admin/logs): 1,202

OPTIONAL ADVANCED DATA (if you know)

Operating System: Red Hat Linux 9 (cat /etc/redhat-release)

RAM Memory: 256 MB (free -m)

CPU: Pentium III 450MHz (cat /proc/cpuinfo)

Linux Kernel: 2.4.20-28.9 (uname -a)

Apache: 2.0.40 (httpd -v)

PHP: 4.2.2 as an Apache 2.0 Filter (Server API from phpinfo() )

MySQL: 3.23.58 (mysql -V)

Top 5 processes sorted by time: (top + T) (geeky wink ):

PID USER PRI NI SIZE RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM TIME CPU COMMAND
13309 root 15 0 3580 160 84 S 0.0 0.0 23:11 0 httpd
876 mysql 15 0 12544 4808 1144 S 0.0 1.8 20:00 0 mysqld
7 root 16 0 0 0 0 SW 0.0 0.0 16:23 0 kscand/Normal
762 root 16 0 912 788 676 S 4.3 0.3 4:36 0 sshd
989 root 15 0 992 524 388 S 0.0 0.2 2:42 0 nmbd

It could be a good idea for future Moodle versions to report most of this info automatically, say once a week, if and only if the admin allows to do that (Moodle could ask for permission to do that in the install process and store the option as a Configuracion variable that could be changed anytime).

By the way, this server is a very old and bad one. Its Apache, PHP and MySQL versions are the default ones in Red Hat for maintainance reasons (it does not depend on me sad )
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Delgado

Re: Could you report number of courses and users of your Moodle site?

by Timothy Takemoto -

BASIC DATA

Main address: http://lala.rnd.cc.yamaguchi-u.ac.jp/mootim/
( and also http://www.idaigaku.com )
There are about 10 Moodle installations at my university though and
the one above are experimental.

Moodle version: 1.2 development 2003101700
Number of courses: 4
Number of users: 89
Hosting: Own server at Yamaguchi University, Yamaguchi.

PERFORMANCE
Slow/Normal/Fast: Fast
Number of log entries: 14th October 2003 667 records
(Term ended now so for a day during term)

OPTIONAL ADVANCED DATA
Operating System: Windows 2000
The server is not mine.

It could be a good idea for future Moodle versions to report most of this info automatically, say once a week, if and only if the admin allows to do that (Moodle could ask for permission to do that in the install process and store the option as a Configuracion variable that could be changed anytime).
Good idea.

There will be 500 students in 26 courses from Sept 2004.

Tim

by Huib van Wees -
Well, it's a shared server so not only for moodle, but I van give you the stats. Also it a low use Moodle site.

BASIC DATA

Address: http://moodle.rhino.cx/

Moodle version: 1.2ß (no version displayed at the bottom of Moodle home page)

Number of courses: 20 (not all in use yet)

Number of users: 15 (Yes, I said low usage wink )

Hosting: Own server at a datacenter in Amsterdam with a very redudant and high speed network. Server has a 100 Mbit connection to the uplink switch.

PERFORMANCE

Number of log entries Total: 9022

OPTIONAL ADVANCED DATA

Operating System: Gentoo 1.2

RAM Memory: 1 GB

CPU: Via C3 800 Mhz. (Shocking hah?)

Linux Kernel: 2.4.22-gentoo-r3

Apache: 1.3.29

PHP: 4.3.4

MySQL: 4.0.16

Top 5 processes sorted by time: (top + T) (not fair I think ):

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
3545 root 16 0 1060 1060 792 S 6.2 0.1 2711:28 top
19886 root 16 0 2228 2228 844 S 0.0 0.2 17:32.62 screen
6 root 16 0 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 16:13.38 kupdated
1768 named 16 0 3952 3952 1916 S 0.0 0.4 3:03.80 named
4 root 15 0 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 1:58.42 kswapd

Sounds good, if it helps...

By the way, this server runs 3 (low usage) moodle site's and some other LAMP based software/websites.

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
BASIC DATA

Address: www.ritacollege.be/elo

Moodle version: 1.2$$beta$$
Number of courses: 25
Number of users: 752
Hosting: www.speedpacket.com

PERFORMANCE

Number of log entries: 74360 (since september 2003)

OPTIONAL ADVANCED DATA (if you know)

Operating System: Linux

RAM Memory: 1GB

CPU: Pentium IV
Linux Kernel: 2.4.20-30.9
Apache: 1.3.29 (Unix)
PHP: 4.3.3
MySQL: 4.0.15-standard

by Art Lader -
BASIC DATA

Address: http://ahshornets.moodle.com

Moodle version: 1.2

Number of courses: 40

Number of users: 510

Hosting: moodle.com smile

PERFORMANCE

Slow/Normal/Fast: fast

Number of log entries YESTERDAY (admin/logs): 908

Hope this helps. smile

-- Art Lader
In reply to Art Lader

by Jeffery Watkins -
What are the server stats for Moodle.com?
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

Re: Could you report number of courses and users of your Moodle site? - Moodle.com

by David Delgado -
Some of Moodle.com server data are public, though I could not find any performance stats:

http://moodle.com/hosting/servers/

And... there are good and bad news:

Good news:
They expanded the standard disk space to 500MB and the bandwidth/month to 50GB (I think it was 200MB and 10GB/month before). It seems more realistic to me for medium/large Moodle sites.

Bad news:
Now they have "twice the price" they had before. That is, right now it costs 200$/month to host a Moodle site in http://moodle.com/hosting . They started with a 50$/month, perhaps there should be some kind of price raising limit (a percentage per year?). It can break any budget if you get those quick price changes. mixed Remember WebCT? tongueout

Anyway, it still is the best option for medium/large Moodle production sites, though it hurts paying it. mixed

There are also some other news:
They say:
"NOTE: Our total number of hosted sites is limited to maintain high standards of service quality - there are now only 8 spaces left!"

Mmmm... why limit the number? if they want more sites, get more servers. It is quite a matter of "jobs cloning", it must be profitable. wink

On the other hand, I must say that this is a new business Martin has just started, and that it is very difficult to put the right price and give the right services. His priority has been always to give the best service, even having to reduce a lot the number of Moodle sites per server, and so, his own profit. It might be a matter of raising prices or reducing quality and I may agree in that is better to raise prices. Just take into account that you cannot keep on doing that forever, since all of us have a limited budget.

It is just my opinion. Anyway, I am not affected, since I run my own Moodle servers at the University and just have a very little testing Moodle site in a cheap hosting. I still think that moodle.com is the best option for production Moodle sites that do not have their own servers. Hope all this helps.

Re: Moodle.com - limited space available

by John Gone -
I'm thinking that server hardware is expensive enough but if Martin's trying to limit anything it's the number of clients. If he hosts too many sites he won't be able to give them all the excellent level of service that they receive now. I think he's probably found a threshold he's comfortable with and now he's trying to keep from diluting the quality. Just guessing...
In reply to John Gone

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
That's exactly right. I don't want to endlessly expand my hosting business - I don't have time to manage more and more servers, or to manage more and more employees. I would much rather be developing Moodle. So basically, when the current server fills up I will be stopping there.

That does not mean others can't run Moodle hosting businesses and I will be working with some companies who want to do this. They will be free to set their own prices according to local conditions.

And David, notice that the price changes do not affect existing customers ... those using subscription payments will continue forever at the original prices.  I am just trying to get the most out of my remaining places (many people have told me my prices were always too low).
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Art Lader -
Well, we only have 200 Megs of storage space at Moodle.com, but we are still paying the original price of $500 per year. No complaints from us!

When you are talking about Moodle.com, you should never forget that the support is close to magical. Our problems are frequently addressed in MINUTES. No, I am not kidding or exaggerating. We have often been astonished by this level of attention to our needs. Sorry if this comes off as obsequious or fawning, but that's how we see it.

by Herbert Keijers -
BASIC DATA

Address: http://www.vanhorne.nl/moodle
Moodle version: moodle 1.2 beta (2004022400)
Number of courses: 34
Number of users: 460
Hosting: Own server at institute (www.vanhorne.nl )

PERFORMANCE

Slow/Normal/Fast: Normal:
MyISAM cache hit ratio99.485466748039

Number of log entries (admin/logs): +/- 1000 a day

OPTIONAL ADVANCED DATA

Operating System: Red Hat Linux 7.2
RAM Memory: 512+512+128 MB
CPU: Pentium III 1000MHz (Coppermine)
Linux Kernel: 2.4.7-10
Apache: 1.3.27
PHP: 4.2.1 with the ionCube PHP Accelerator v1.3.3r2
MySQL: 3.23.41