Auto - inform of a started Dialogue

Auto - inform of a started Dialogue

by Peter Sereinigg -
Number of replies: 14

*  Is there a possibility to inform somebody automaticly from the BEGINNING of a dialogue? I can do this after the first response - but not at the beginning.

Peter

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Sereinigg

Re: Auto - inform of a started Dialogue

by Ray Kingdon -
Peter, I thought the first response is the beginning big grin
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Peter Sereinigg -

errötend "yes sir", next try with my poor english

• Starting a dialogue does not automaticly create an email-message
    or I have to define this as "standard"
  • When replying to such a dialogue gives the possibility to send an email as "message something is todo".
  • my question: how can i be informed from a starting dialogue without looking permanent in my several courses?

winken better Ray?

by Ray Kingdon -
Ah, yes, I see now wide eyes smile. When writing the module I really got the email option the wrong way round clown. It should be similar to the forums where the recipient decides whether to have emails or not. As the Dialogue module stands the sender decides. So in your case you want to say "here when everyone opens a conversation with me always send me an email". I had a word with Martin about this and I did agree to change the code so that you subscribe or not to a dialogue in the same way as you subscribe or not to a forum. Unfortunately I never got around to implementing it sad

The problem is I don't know if it's worth while making those changes now.
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Tim Allen -

Ray, I have the same issue as Peter, and IMHO maybe there was a misunderstanding here.  smile  I don't think the issue is whether it should be the replier who decides (although that is a valid consideration in its own right, of course).

As is stands now, when adding an entry to an already exisiting dialogue, it is possible for the writer to specify that the dialogue partner be notified via email that a new reply has been posted on the course homepage.  However, for some reason this is not possible when one wants to open a new dialogue with someone: the option to have an email notification sent is not available.

Would it be possible simply to extend the presently existing email notification functionality to the case when one is starting a new dialogue with someone?  In one sense this situation would be even more important than after the dialogue has already been opened, in that in the latter case the dialogue partners may be following the discussion closely - but of course when it's a new dialogue, the addressee has no idea (unless of course, in the most perfect of worlds, he is regularly logging and checking the recent activity record - something that can not always be relied upon).

Your module is a wonderful tool that I use a lot approve , and I wouldn't want the emails to include any details, just a link to make them go to the homepage.  When I start a new dialogue, in particular, I want to entice them there.  Would this be a possibility? 

Thanks in advance,

Tim. 

In reply to Tim Allen

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Dropping in with the same problem and seeing there is already a discussion going on.

I wanted to ask here to leave the notification-issue to the administrator: always notification or never notification. glimlach

By the way, your dialoque module is verry popular at our school Ray! cool

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Peter Sereinigg -

Hi Ray, it would be very usefull, that - if I subscribe - I will get not only the second, third ... input, I would need urgently the START of a dialog ...

In several courses , I can not have an permanent eye on "does anyone start a dialog ..."

I missed some questions and there stundent wrote emails asking, why I dont answer ...

Maybe you have a possibility for a quick change, because, if there is a notification possibility starting with the second message, it should also be possible to start with the first message

Thanks for ANY possibility not to miss messages from students

Peter

by Tim Allen -

Yes, I have exactly the same problem.  If Ray is too busy to reply, I wonder is there is someone who could give us a tip as to how to hack the code to achieve this.  It probably isn't too complicated, however with my inadequate knowledge of php I still would need some help to do this.

Tim.

In reply to Tim Allen

by Ray Kingdon -
Yes, there was a bug in the code which meant that the first entry in a dialogue did not issue an email notification. In fixing that I've also taken up the sensible suggestion that the email option should be a global option. That is, when you create a dialogue the mail setting (yes or no) determines whether all new entries send an email notification or not. It makes things a lot simplier. If people get fed up with the emails then just turn the option off and all emailing is switched off.

This version is now in CVS.

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Tim Allen -
Many thanks for this Ray, I really appreciate it.  smile  approve        
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Tim Allen -

Hmm, just tried to install the new version, but it's not in CVS or on the modules download page.  The version in there is 2004060400, which is some 2 weeks ago.

Is this just slow or has something been forgotten?

Tim.  smile       

In reply to Tim Allen

by Ray Kingdon -
Just slowwww... I downloaded the new version from the Modules pages a couple of hours ago. It had the changes in it and it works OK.
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just for everyone's info, the daily downloadables are currently updated at about 9am GMT.