error at login - moodle setup or host server?

error at login - moodle setup or host server?

by laurie fooks -
Number of replies: 7

Hi

I am getting this error showing on the login screen - I am on a shared hosting service - does it look like an error in my setup- it was working OK - or is it possibly an error beyond my control with the hosting service.

The permission on the /tmp folder (outside the web area is 700

----------------------

Warning: Unknown(): write failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0
---------------------

thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to laurie fooks

Re: error at login - moodle setup or host server?

by laurie fooks -
Its up again after the hosting service deleted some files from /tmp - no advice on what files or cause - any ideas?
In reply to laurie fooks

by Eric Hagley -

I also got a very similar problem

Warning: Unknown(): write failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

Are you using netmondo?

Did the host give you any other information.  I really need to find out why this happened as I'm in dire need of my site!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

In reply to Eric Hagley

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Simple enough, the ISPs disk got filled up.  wink

Moodle 1.3.x might even prevent this from happening as it no longer uses /tmp for session files.

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Eric Hagley -
Martin you continue to amaze me.  Thank you very much.  I wonder though if you can let me know if there is anything I can do to fix that or is it something the host will have to do.  Again, your assistance is incredibly appreciated. 
In reply to Eric Hagley

by Eric Hagley -
Just to let you know, the following was sent to me by my host, netmondo. I upgraded to their moodle only servers and I'm now impressed. Had some problems when I first started out but am now very happy with what they are doing. Thank you to those who helped!

From netmondo "We have the semi-dedicated servers set to automatically update Fantastico, Apache, PHP, etc on a scheduled basis.  That being a new server, it seems that someone forgot to put the command to clear the tmp after a successful update, so the update files filled the /tmp 100%.  I have fixed this, as well as add the command line and you will not have this happen again. (Sorry for the run-on)"
In reply to Eric Hagley

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Eric,
What is a Moodle-only server, what has changed in that upgrade, and what impresses you?
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Eric Hagley -
I can only but believe them, but what they say on their site is that they have put all the moodle users onto a particular server. Some of the problems that I was having earlier on (and which seem to be affecting others by the number of "return to login page" problems) were due to other traffic on the server according to the people at netmondo. What they have done is put only moodlers on a particular server thus the traffic is only moodle oriented. Their service (feed back to me) has been far sharper of late and I have had none of the problems with logins etc that seem to be plaguing many! I'm off to bed now! Have a good night.