Admin password

Admin password

by Anthony Deane -
Number of replies: 2
Hi,

I've taken over the running of a Moodle site for our company. It was originally set up by an intern that we had over the summer, but no neither him nor myself can remember what the admin password is.

I've tried the default "admin" and "admin", but that doesn't work.

Is there anyway of finding this out? I've got access to to the ftp if I need to find it out that way?

(Also, you might need to use down to earth tech speak, as I'm not really that tech minded!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anthony
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anthony Deane

Re: Admin password

by Randy Obert -

Open the moodle_users table (w/phpadmin) and look at one of the first 2 or 3 entries. One will have admin access and probably named admin

Open the record for edit, replace that users email address with your own and then go back to the logon page and reset the password for that user.

There may be a routine for doing this available but I have never looked, just as easy for me to make this simple edit

In reply to Randy Obert

Re: Admin password

by Tux McKloud -
Randy Orbert Said:

"Open the moodle_users table (w/phpadmin) and look at one of the first 2 or 3 entries. One will have admin access and probably named admin

Open the record for edit, replace that users email address with your own and then go back to the logon page and reset the password for that user.

There may be a routine for doing this available but I have never looked, just as easy for me to make this simple edit"

I had a similar experience but did not have sendmail running so I couldn't just email the password. So, if you want to manually change the password, do the following (NOTE: This is not for the faint of heart):
  1. Use phpMyAdmin to open the moodle database
  2. Select the moodle_users table (default name is mdl_users)
  3. Click on 'Browse' in the right pane. You should now see the contents of your users table
  4. The 'admin' or 'Administrator' or whatever you called it during installation should be the second row.
  5. Click on the pencil icon to 'edit' this row
  6. Scroll down until you see the field name, "password".
  7. To the right, you will see a bunch of alphanumeric characters (32 of them). This is the encrypted password.
  8. Replace that encrypted password with a default password 'admin'
  9. Just to the left of this value is a drop-down list. Select 'MD5'.
  10. Now scroll to the bottom of this page and click 'GO'.
Your administrative password should now be reset to 'admin'.
Go ahead and try it. Be sure to change your administrative password once you log in. This time, write it down!
big grin