Project module add-on: Project Module - 1.7 Development Plans

Project module add-on: Project Module - 1.7 Development Plans

by Don Hinkelman -
Number of replies: 27
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Version 1.7 development for the Project Module is starting now with a team of student engineers led by Veli-Pekka Hännikäinen of TAMK, Finland.

The Project Module handles student projects such as presentations, essays, websites, slideshows and documents. It is a streamlined combination of five modules: brainstorm, signup, submit, schedule, and assessment. Version 1.6 and documents are available here, and you may refer to earlier discussions on General prospectus, Software Specifications, Use cases, and Version 1.x Release.

The roadmap for Version 1.7 includes the following:
  • Publish Sub-module: (planned but not yet implemented)
    • Auto-generation of a public webpage to display and search through projects
  • Course Blocks for community building: (postponed from 1.6)
    • Best 10 Voted Projects,
    • Project Status Block
    • Best Projects from Last Year
  • Rearrangement of Tasks after initial setup
  • Student-created assessment criteria (currently teacher-designed)
  • Integration with new 1.7 features (flexible roles especially)
  • Repository of Projects
  • Interface improvements
    • after user testing in September/October
  • Project topic selection--new voting feature
  • Security testing and proofing
  • Documentation
    • Teacher/User manual
    • Feature list page
    • SRS update
The TAMK team have agreed to develop the following points of this roadmap.
  1. Publish Sub-module
  2. Course Blocks for community building
  3. Rearrangement of Tasks after initial setup
  4. Student-created assessment criteria (currently teacher-designed)
  5. Interface improvements
The rough schedule for this phase is as follows:
  • Reading Project Module SRS-documentation, explore Project Module source code and get to know overall architecture of Project Module and Moodle (Sept 28 - October 15)
  • Requirements Planning (October 16 - 31)
  • Designing and Coding (November 1 - December 20)
  • First Test with Client (December 20)
  • Interface Adjustments and bug fixing (January 2 - 21)
  • Final Signoff-Completion (January 22 - 31)
Input, comments and questions from teachers using the Project Module are appreciated. smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Don Hinkelman

Re: Project module add-on: Project Module - 1.7 Development Plans

by Don Hinkelman -
Questions posed by the TAMK Project Module Development Team and replies by Don Hinkelman:

Publish Module

1. Where should locate the link that leads to the Publish module (auto-generated page)? In the Projects -page which show now all the projects in a particular course?
Yes, I think the Publish Module is a "task" like the other tasks. It shows on the drop-down menu of tasks on the main project page. The auto-generated page might just be links of student names, with project titles, dates, ratings and comments. I am also thinking that a thumbnail image of the project might be good. The Publish page should have various degrees of public-ness--viewable to course, to site, to the world, like the blog is. I suppose the first version will have a fixed format, but eventually it should have some customizable features for teachers in the layout, colors, style. What do you think would be best?

2. Is project category same as project name?
Where is the term "project category" used?

3. If each project title is a link to a student file, what does the student file mean here exactly? The file which student or group has submitted in a Submit task?
Yes, that link is to the file submitted in the Submit task. In the case of multiple submits, the Publish task will need a drop-down menu for the teacher to select which Submit task (ie: first draft, final draft) should be published.

4. If the visitor gives comment or do rating, should the comment be about the project itself of about the file which was uploaded in Submit task?
The visitor can only see the file to judge a project, so yes, the comment or rating should be about the file which was uploaded in Submit.

Rearrangement of tasks

No questions relating to this feature.
One thing I noticed in the tasks arrangement. I believe a Brainstorm and Signup tasks are required before Submit can be made. Of Brainstorm and Signup should be listed first and that is unchangeable. However, I think it is not necessary to always have a Brainstorm and Signup. Sometimes, students do all the same project. In that case, we should abolish requiring Brainstorm and Signup and allow the teacher to create just a Submit task(s) and Assessment task(s). Is that OK?

Student-created assessment

1. When you are creating Assessment task in a project, there is a one option disabled: allow students assessment of others. Why this is disabled? Students can already rate/assessment each other. Should this option to be implemented? Teacher can decide that can students rate/assessment each other or not? (selecting yes or no)
Yes, students can already peer-assess each other. The crossed-off option is actually an option to *disable* student assessment, thus allowing only teacher-assessment. I prefer student and teacher assessment combined, but I imagine teacher-only assessment may be necessary at times. Can you do this "disabling" feature?

2. Should students to be able to create Assessment tasks? Or should they only be able to create rating criteria/criterias in the Assessment task like teacher can now? Should they be able to also update or delete the criteria which they created?
This was suggested by one teacher, that students should be able to design their own assessment criteria (not tasks). Now I think that this is a core feature of Version 1.7, flexible roles. I hope you can look at how roles are implemented, and we can do the first step by allowing a teacher to make a new role, say "super-student" who could be given permission to author criteria and perhaps other things.

3. When a teacher is creating an Assessment task, she can decide the number of items in rating scale. Should students to be able to decide that also when they are creating criteria? Or are they forced to follow the rating scale which teacher has chosen?
Originally, we set the number of items in a rating scale to be fixed across all items. For example, only 3 items for each rating scale. This was done to make a simple programming job. If you can make it more flexible, that would be great. And if you can allow students to do any number of items, that would be great. I think we have to design this point depending on ease of programming.

Course Blocks:

1. Progress Block: How the progess bar should actually proceed? For example: when student do a certain task, then corresponding piece from the block turns to green immediately? Or when the teacher has approved the task?
No, I would do it immediately. When the teacher "approves" or "assesses" the submission, then the next task is done, "assessment", so the next little block turns green.

2. You wrote: "We should make 3-5 different kinds of blocks that display a list
of projects according to popularity or student/teacher ratings."
Do you mean that there would be one block for the most popular projects? Another block for the most highest rated projects by students? Another block for the most highest rated projects by teacher? and so on.
Yes, separate blocks except where it makes sense to combine into one block. I am especially interested in hearing comments from the programming team and from any teacher about what kinds of blocks would be good for community building and generating student interest in projects.

3. Are the space exactly same size for all tasks in the progress bar?
Hmmm. I suppose so. What do you think?

Thanks for all the good questions. Keep them coming! approve

by Veli-Pekka Hännikäinen -
Student-created assessment

1. When you are creating Assessment task in a project, there is a one option disabled: allow students assessment of others. Why this is disabled? Students can already rate/assessment each other. Should this option to be implemented? Teacher can decide that can students rate/assessment each other or not? (selecting yes or no)
Yes, students can already peer-assess each other. The crossed-off option is actually an option to *disable* student assessment, thus allowing only teacher-assessment. I prefer student and teacher assessment combined, but I imagine teacher-only assessment may be necessary at times. Can you do this "disabling" feature?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This feature is now implemented. When teacher is creating an assessment task, she/he can now decide that can students peer-assess each other or not. But one question arises: if teacher select No -option, should students be able to
still view other students submitted files or do commenting?

Cheers

Veli-Pekka Hännikäinen
In reply to Veli-Pekka Hännikäinen

by Don Hinkelman -
>>But one question arises: if teacher select No -option, should students be able to still view other students submitted files or do commenting?

Yes, I see you question. I am trying to imagine a teacher who does not want student/peer assessment. The default, of course, is Peer Rating= On, Peer View= On, Peer Comment= On. However, a teacher who wants to disable peer assessment might also want to disable all peer rights--forcing single student/teacher relationship. In that case, a teacher may want to hide viewing to other students. Separate checkboxes then would be good.
  • ___ disable peer viewing
  • ___ disable peer rating
  • ___ disable peer commenting
These are low priority for me, but may interest some teachers and make the module more widely usable.

On second thought, the "disable" word always confuses me--I never know if the checkmark means on or off. It is better, interface-wise, to have a drop-down menu option with Yes/No, with "Yes" always default.
  • Peer viewing Yes/No
  • Peer rating Yes/No
  • Peer commenting Yes/No
I assume these options can be changed anytime during the project.

This functionality is now implemented. When teacher is creating an assessment task, Peer Rating=On, Peer View=On, Peer Comment=On are default values for that task. If peer Rating is set to 'yes', Peer Viewing must be also set to 'yes', otherwise error message will be shown. I think that there is no point to allow rating, but not to allow students to view submitted file. And also, if Peer Viewing is set to 'no', Peer Commenting must be also set to 'no', otherwise error message will be shown. If you can not see submitted file, how can you comment?

I had to create a new table for comments. The new table is called: project_scores_comments. From the project_scores table, I deleted comment field (this is now unnecessary).

Cheers

Veli-Pekka Hännikäinen

by Don Hinkelman -
Veli-Pekka writes (Nov 10):

I downloaded Moodle 1.7 version in my computer and the roles seems quite interesting. I have more questions relating to this question #2. Should students to be able to create Assessment tasks? Or should they only be able to create rating criteria/criterias in the Assessment task like teacher can now? Should they be able to also update or delete the criteria which they created?

Hm, I was just thinking that should this functionality to be developed keeping on eye of Moodle 1.7? If someone is using Moodle 1.7, teacher can give "super-student" role to the students. If not, then this is done differently, like this: Would it be good, when teacher is creating assessment task, he/she can decide that can students create their own assessment criteria (drop-down menu: yes/no) ? I assume that teacher can delete or modify assessment criterias which students has made?

I really think it would be great if we could move ahead and make the Project Module 1.7 compatible with flexible roles. At least, in the assessment task, could we try that? And yes, a teacher should be able to modify/delete those criteria.

I realize it is a big leap, but this is the time to start thinking that. For Project Module 1.6, we can leave the teacher to do all the authoring. For Project Module 1.7, we can do flexible roles with some of these points.
  • creating any task (a kind of assistant teacher role)
  • creating just assessment criteria (a kind of super student role)

You wrote:

I really think it would be great if we could move ahead and make the Project Module 1.7 compatible with flexible roles. At least, in the assessment task, could we try that?

Yes, we can try this in the assessment task. In the future, it will be nice guideline for the next project team how to implement flexible roles in Project Module smile

In my opinion, allowing students to create assessment criterias should be prevented at default ( 'student' => CAP_PREVENT). Teacher can change this value later to allow students to create assessment criterias (From Users/Permissions/Define Roles/Student).

First prototype of this new feature is now ready (it functions in Moodle 1.6.* and Moodle 1.7). Student can now create criteria/criterias in assessment task and of course, modify and delete those criteria /criterias which they created. Teacher can naturally modify and delete all created criterias. When teacher is creating an assessment task, he/she can decide from drop-down menu that can student create criterias (Moodle 1.6.*).

Things are a little bit different if you are using Moodle 1.7, there is no such drop-down menu available. In this first prototype, students possibility to create criteria/criterias is inherited (they are allowed at default). Teacher can override this default by project basis (for example: selecting Prevent-option). Or teacher can create a totally new role in Moodle, for example: super student and assign students to this role, if he/she wants to allow students to create criterias.

I have to study and debug roles a little bit more.

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Veli-Pekka,

Thanks for completing the prototype of student-creation of assessment criteria. I wonder if this has ever been done in other Moodle modules. Is it ready for us to view and test? If so, tell us a URL to check it out.

You wrote:

Is it ready for us to view and test? If so, tell us a URL to check it out.

I want to do first a massive testing phase (+ upgrading test) before it is ready for you to view and test. I believe that this testing phase is ready at next week smile

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hello,

Summary of this message:

Having briefly experimented with the Project module I can see that it has the potential of being very popular. I think the key to its success will be to keep it as simple as possible. Specifically, it needs to be clear to potential users (teachers) what their students will experience as they go through each task. Also, the grading system needs to be transparent, particularly the peer assessment system. The bottom line is that teachers need to trust the scoring system to the point that they are prepared to fail students based on poor Project scores. It is tempting to suggest additions to the Project module, such as the ability to allow students to create their own grading criteria, which I see Veli-Pekka is working on. If it is possible to introduce such a system without making things overly complicated for teachers, then I'd welcome such an addition. On the other hand, perhaps the best plan at the moment is to make sure the module works as intended on a Production Moodle before adding to its functionality.

The details:

As a fairly long time user of the Workshop module, I am particularly attracted to this new project Module since it manages to take care of many of the tasks that need to be done before doing a Workshop: e.g. brainstorming. choosing a topic and getting into groups.

The Workshop is a terrific module, but I haven't come across many people who actually use it. I suspect that the reason for this is that it is difficult to set up, and one can only really appreciate all the ramifications of the various choices and features after a number of classes have been through the system. Furthermore, the grading system is not transparent; I am unable to explain the details of the scoring mechanisms of Workshop module to students, and therefore not in a position to fail students on the basis of a poor Workshop result. These two factors, complexity of activity setup and opaqueness of scoring, mean that many people like the idea of the Workshop but can not risk using it with real students, or at least not for high-stakes tasks. If you can avoid these problems with the Project module, you will have a 'winner'!

For me, one of the main attractions of the Workshop module is that it allows the teacher to set up detailed grading criteria. In fact, there are 4 different grading strategies: Accumulative, Error Banded, Criterion, and Rubric. You'll find an explanation of these strategies here:
http://moodle.org/help.php?module=workshop&file=gradingstrategy.html
What is more, it is possible to require students to both grade themselves and their peers using the same criteria that the teacher uses. However, one useful feature that is missing, is the possibility of allowing students to create their own grading criteria.

I see that Veli-Pekka seems to be already working on a 'prototype of student-creation of assessment criteria', with which I look forward to experimenting. Having thought about how 'student-creation of assessment criteria' could actually be implemented, I can see that this could become incredibly complicated. So, I reminded myself about what the actual purpose is of allowing students to create, or at least suggest, grading criteria. The purpose is to make students think in depth about what are the components or factors that make up a good 'project'. So, if their project is to make a 3 minute movie about their hometown, in asking them to suggest or create grading criteria, they are being asked to consider what are the factors that make a good movie. Given this, I realise that something simple like the 'Q and A forum' type would suffice. In other words, have students write down how they think they should be evaluated. Once they've written their ideas, they are then able to read and comment on the suggestion of their peers. The teacher could then decide how and if these suggested criteria could be included in the assessment stage of the project. To conclude, if you are able to develop and implement a 'student-creation of assessment criteria' task, I think it would be a pedagogically sound addition to the Project module. However, I don't think that this should be your number one priority. My experience of the Workshop module tells me that making the process comprehensible and the assessment system transparent should be at the top of your agenda.

Hope this helps.
In reply to Peter Ruthven-Stuart

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the detailed assessment of assessment on the Workshop and Project Modules. I suspect the type of assessment used in the Project is this...
Rubric This is a similar to Criterion Grading except there are multiple sets of criteria. Each set covering a particular "Category", can have up to five statements. The sets are given individual weights and the grade is a weighted combination of the scores from each set. There is no adjustment option in this assessment type.

We have been calling Rubrics as "Criteria" so far. Shall we change to the word, "rubric"? In the case of my essay grading, I have 10 rubrics and a scale for each rubric. These scales are contained in the Project Module in the radio button selections. It occured to me that we could possibly integrate into the current scale system of Moodle by making a rubric to be the "scale name" and the scale to be "scale items". But we still need to have a "category" for scale. Some categories might be:
  • presentations
  • essays
  • website files
  • presentation files
  • wiki pages

Hello Don,

This Project module looks wonderful, and I am sure that it will be popular with Moodlers, and may even attract non-moodlers to the system.

I have just installed and experimented with the Project module (ProjectModule16beta4b) in an experimental 1.6.2+ Moodle site (MySQL - 5.0.24a-standard, PHP 5.1.6). Based on my brief experience with the module, here are some things I have noticed:

Installation:
went fine, except the language files should probably go into the 'moodledata/lang' directory. Since 1.6 it seems that's the default location for language files.

Setting up a project activity:
I tried to set up a Project activity that included all 5 sub-tasks: Brainstorm, signup, submit, schedule, and assessment. I was able to add 4 of these tasks (Brainstorm, submit, schedule, and assessment) but when trying to add a 'signup' task I got a "A required parameter was missing" error message when I tried to save the task. This happened whatever the combination of Group and Topic Selection was.
Also, when logged in as a student I clicked on the 'Submit' task and got a "Could not retrieve your group" error message. This despite the fact that I have set up this experimental course with 20 students divided into 4 groups.

Any idea why these errors might be occurring?
In reply to Peter Ruthven-Stuart

Hello Peter

I tried to set up a Project activity that included all 5 sub-tasks: Brainstorm, signup, submit, schedule, and assessment. I was able to add 4 of these tasks (Brainstorm, submit, schedule, and assessment) but when trying to add a 'signup' task I got a "
A required parameter was missing" error message when I tried to save the task.

It seems that you have out of date file there. Put the attached file to this folder:
moodle/mod/project/tasks/signup/

You should now can to add signup task.

Don, put this file to the ProjectModule16beta4b zip-file.

Cheers

Veli-Pekka Hännikäinen

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Hello Veli-Pekka Hännikäinen,

Thanks for the new file. It seems to have fixed both the problems that I reported above approve.

I will keep on experimenting.

by Don Hinkelman -
>>Don, put this file to the ProjectModule16beta4b zip-file.

OK, this file (signup.php) has replaced the older version. Thanks again, Veli-Pekka for keeping track of the most up-to-date file versions. I have renamed the zip file for download as: projectmodule1.6beta5.zip. That package is now added to the downloads on the englishforum site. I trust the Sourceforge build is also up-to-date.

by Paul Nijbakker -
Hi,

Thanks everybody who works on this very interesting module.

I have another problem with the signup sub module. When users want to create groups, the user list shows:
  • All the administrators (who are not listed as course participants)
  • All the users who are in the participants list
  • Users who once were in the participants list, but have since been removed from the course
  • Users who once were in the participants list, but have since been removed from the course and who have been removed from Moodle as a whole!surprise
How do I get the user list to reflect only the users currently enrolled in the course?

Rgrds,
Paul.
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Paul Nijbakker -
Other issues with the module that I discovered so far:

• Sub tasks that are open according to the project page (colour) are closed when the student tries to open them, if the day is the day that is given as end date for the task.
  • The signup task, Choose your group, does not allow students to leave a group once they have joined (even though that would not jeopardise the group existence memberwise.)
  • In the same task users only show up in the user list if they have been active in the course. This suggests that the user list is generated from the logs (see problem above) whereas it would be more logical if it was generated from the course participants list.
I hope this is the right place to mention these issues.thoughtful

Rgrds,
Paul.
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Don Hinkelman -
Thank you very much, Paul, for listing these bugs/features very specifically. That is exactly what we need.

I do not think our programming team at TAMK can work on these presently, but I will work on finding some help as soon as possible. 3-4 schools in Japan want to use the Project Module from April 1st, so that is my goal. If we can get these fixed by then, will you be using the Project Module? How do you want to use it? Is there anything else we should add to list?

Because of the length of time for a teacher to set up a complete project with 5 or more tasks, I am considering making a template system to save a number of commonly used projects for foreign language teaching.
- multi-draft essay
- powerpoint+live presentation
- web pages on "Tour Guidebook to Our Town"

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Is there any place where one can dowload the current beta 1.7 version of the project Module? (just to test drive it).

Saludos. Iñaki.
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Inaki,

Hope you were able to download and install Project Module 1.7beta OK. Although I am listed as an admin on Sourceforge, I do not know how to use it. Veli-Pekka and Jussi at TAMK are running that, and I am glad they keep it up to date. As soon as we get one last piece of 1.7--the Publish module--I will prepare a zip package and instructions for the usual download site: http://englishforum.sgu.ac.jp/downloads

I am hoping for an end-of-March release. If you find any bugs in the meantime, please post here or send to me directly. Cheers, Don smile

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'll be quite busy in the following three weeks, but several teachers here are very interested in test driving the module, as we are a heavily PBL-based 'shop' smile So end-of-march sounds quite promising, as I'll have some spare time by then and will be able to assist them with the technical stuff.

Many thanks for this promising module smile

Saludos. Iñaki.
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Don Hinkelman -

Hi Everyone,

We have a list of 25 interface changes and bug fixes for Project Module 1.7 that we are working on.  So we plan for mid-to-late April to complete them instead of the end-of-March originally planned.  Stay tuned.  smile

by xin guo -

Firstly, thank you very much for your hard working.I am so glad to hear about this Module!I am interesting in PBL,and I want to research it deeply.When I find the module, I feel surprise !Now I am writing my  master thesis ,so want to use this module.But I have  tried many times to install the module according to the readme document,it 's failed. I can't find any change in the admin page of my moodle site,and when I click on "Turn Editing On" and click on "Add an activity..." to see the module, I can't find "project" in the drop down menu(the drop down menu is not different from before ). I use Moodle1.7.1.Who can help me? I am so worried!Thank you very much!

by Asier Suarez -

I am really happy hearing about this Module!!! I am creating some courses in which I want to introduce the PBL, and as I didn't know the existance of this module I have tried to ellaborate a way to use this methodology... but if there is a module, I will be ready to test it, and if it works, better for everyone!!! Where can I find the last version to test, or something to test?

by mike thiem -
Hi
thanks for this module,
i followed the installation instructions but nothing seemed to happen.
Then finally i read in the podcast module that clicking "notification" on the admin page is very useful.
now to experiment
mighk