Bulkupload and automatic course selection

Bulkupload and automatic course selection

by Peter Sereinigg -
Number of replies: 3
  • Please add an check in the uploadfile, that "COURSEn" is missing, otherwise you will not get any errormessage but you have NO students enrolled in a selected course with groups.
  • Is there any possibility to upload students selecting a course but NOT selecting a group in this course to use the random function?
  • Please prevent uploading blanc lines, this makes a lot of troubles (no idea, but somethin created an "blanc user" !!!
  • and is it possible to change "," as seperator to ";" (as an option), because excel creates csv with ";"

The german translation of help we will change urgently, because there is the information about "groups" missing and I tried it and tried it without any result. when writing this posting in engls´h I changed my page to EN and found the new help ...

Thanks Peter

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Sereinigg

Re: Bulkupload and automatic course selection

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
There is an error message produced when a group is specified but a course is not specified:

User: 39 = connor.54
Course corresponding to group testgroup1 not specified

Of course, this error message has not yet been translated into German, so you get something like coursegroupunknown instead.

As for random placement in groups, I will look into it.

Blank lines are skipped, and the script carefully checks that username, firstname, lastname, password and email are not blank before adding them to the user database. So I doubt the missing names in your user database were put there by the uploaduser script.

I don't know about the German version of Excel, but the US version certainly uses the comma as a separator in csv files. After all csv is an abbreviation for "comma separated variable".
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Jean-Pierre Pawlak -

About the "comma separated variable"...

I found this information useful when using your method of bulk importing new users in a Moodle 1.1:

"If you live in a country where a comma is used as decimal delimiter rather than the decimal dot (.) in the USA, the CSV file will look like this ...The commas separating the data entries have been replaced by semi-colons (;), and the decimal dots, if any, will be replaced by decimal commas."

In reply to Peter Sereinigg

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
According to the code in moodle/course/groups.php,

Random adding of people into groups is not functional yet.

When Martin implements it in the Moodle core, I'll add this function to the uploaduser script as well.