Hasweb seems to be a good place to host Moodle

Hasweb seems to be a good place to host Moodle

by Paul Norrod -
Number of replies: 1
I have been hosting at Hasweb (www.hasweb.com) for the past three months and have no complaints. They have various plans, but the 4GB with 35GB transfer a month for $100 a year is what I chose (they have both cheaper and more expensive plans). They are a LAMP host with CPanel and Safe Mode is OFF.

The server I am on has Moodle as one of the apps that can be autoinstalled, but I am not sure if the Moodle autoinstall is on all servers (I am on one of their newest servers with a new version of CPanel and Fantastico). They do offer shell access, but it requires that you send them a copy of your picture ID and costs $20. It sounds like a rip-off, but actually it helps limit shell access to only the serious and (hopefully) competent and cautious users.

They don't have any phone support, but use online helpdesk tickets instead. This will tend to scare off many, but they have something that more than offsets the lack of phone support - a members-only forum moderated by two extremely talented and helpful gentlemen who really work hard to solve any problems you have (and act as a go-between between you and the helpdesk if there are any problems).

They are currently getting ready to install something called suPHP on their servers that will allow Apache to run as your account name instead of "nobody". This means that you will no longer have to make your moodledata folder permed at 777 (in fact, 755 will be the "highest" permission allowed under suPHP). They are supposed to implement suPHP in a few weeks, so if you plan to host with them you may want to wait until after suPHP is installed (probably early March 2004).

I provide screen capture videos for my students, so a lot of server space and a lot of data transfer was a necessity for me.  Hasweb gives you a lot of both for the money.  If you are newbie to web hosting, however, Hasweb is probably not for you because of the lack of telephone support.  As with any low cost host, you need to make sure that you keep everything backed up and be prepared for the worst.  This is my third (and hopefully last) host.  The first one was bought by some other company who immediately changed the renewal terms from 500MB of space to 50MB for the same money sad.  My most recent host prior to Hasweb was "attacked" in early December and has been up and down like a punch-drunk boxer ever since (I suspect they will be out of business soon).

So far (he knocks on the wood of his desk) Hasweb has been an excellent host with excellent performance and support.  I don't have any connection to Hasweb - I just thought I would pass them along to you as a possibility since many of us Moodlers are buying hosting out of our own pockets or work at a school that won't pay more than pocket change for hosting.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Paul Norrod

Re: Hasweb seems to be a good place to host Moodle

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks, Paul!   A good recommendation.

Keep us up to date if your opinion changes!  smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)