Essay questions and HTML editor (1.6+)

Essay questions and HTML editor (1.6+)

by Eduardo Hernandez -
Number of replies: 2

This is my response to this message in the Quiz forum and as this is more issue of the HTML editor, I'm putting my reply here

but what's the lesson learned here?.

Is the HTML Editor causing problems? or is it Internet Explorer?.  or is it because the JavaScript behind the HTML Editor?

If this is an issue with the HTML Editor., what is the solution?, a new HTML Editor?. because now we can remove it from a quiz, but what if in some other (future) module we must provide several HTML editors in the same window, and if you keep the current HTML editor, then a rule for developers should be applied.

If it doesn't work with Internet Explorer, I must confess my sadness as it seems to apply the rule that says "If it doesn't work with software ABC used by 90% of the people, then it is not working for most of your users, so please remove that, when it should be fixed by software developer".

However, Michael said that even Firefox could face problems...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eduardo Hernandez

Re: Essay questions and HTML editor (1.6+)

by N Hansen -
See my response in the linked thread. It definitely in my opinion is IE, as you will see in my examples given, the editor works great in Firefox. Honestly, I've never understood why people hate the html editor so much-it's got a couple problems in my opinion but overall I think it is wonderful.
In reply to N Hansen

Re: Essay questions and HTML editor (1.6+)

by Eduardo Hernandez -
Hi N,

Yes; I run Firfox and I have never had a problem with the HTML editor.

I work for a local University and we have migrated to Moodle, and our Virtual University now runs on Moodle (5501 users) , and a couple of days ago i was talking to one of our tech support guys and he told me that the first question they ask when a student is calling is "Are you using IE?".

We teach our students how to learn using this online tools; and when it comes to technical details we suggest them to install and run Firefox, and in the Univ. labs we will install Firefox as the default browser, as we have seen it as a more stable browser for Moodle

The *potential* problem I see (only potential) is that if 80% of our users is using IE at home, there's 80% of people who could be facing problems with the HTML editor, specially when several instances of the editor are being loaded. I have never heard any complain from our students,; I say this from the opinions read here.