Moodle on a Nokia 770

Moodle on a Nokia 770

by Martín Langhoff -
Number of replies: 9
I have been trying for months to get my hands on a Nokia 770 -- those small slick web tablets Nokia is selling in some places (but not in their stores!).

They run Debian internally, and behind the fancy UI they are very "hackable". Tweakable. Yummmmmy.

Froogle link here http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=nokia+770&hl=en&btnG=Search

Anyway -- someone here at Catalyst manage to get one (not me, though sad ). And look at that beauty!

Attachment IMG_2305.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martín Langhoff

Re: Moodle on a Nokia 770

by Leonard Low -
Not a bad bit of kit. smile

I do notice, however, that scrolling in two directions appears to be required to see the whole Moodle login page.  Do you know what the maximum width (resolution) of a page can be to display within the width of the browser?

Cheers,
Len
In reply to Leonard Low

by Dan Stowell -
Leonard, there's literally no answer to that, because so many browsers have so many widths. It depends on physical screen size, browser viewport, font sizes, whether images are loaded, and many other things.

by Leon Cych -
People may also be interested in this review by Al4ie Dennan. Alfie is the cofounder of moblog.co.uk and he doesn't give praise lightly.

Leon Cych

by Dan Stowell -
Has this one been "tweaked" at all? Presumably its ordinary web browser is what we're seeing.

Does this thing have an FPU? I've been looking for something portable that might be able to run some cool sound synthesis, and Nokia's so-called tech specs don't include that kind of information.
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Martín Langhoff -
Totally vanilla so far (arrived yesterday) but we are going to hack the hell out of it, as we are plannign to run a custom Debian on it wink

Don't know about the FPU though... I can probably do cat /proc/cpuinfo once I'm back in the office tomorrow!

by Dan Stowell -
Actually just googling shows there's no FPU - at least, according to random messageboards and blogs. Ah well. Looks fun for other purposes though
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Martín Langhoff -
Well, it actually implements a few audio/video codecs so at least it must have a fast MMX-style instruction set in the main core. Does that supercollider thing do any assembler MMX optimization?

by Dan Stowell -
That's a question I can't answer. It originates on Mac and I know it has some AltiVec stuff in there.