Successful, No-Nonsense Installation of NWiki and Conversion of DFWiki

Successful, No-Nonsense Installation of NWiki and Conversion of DFWiki

by Mark Penny -
Number of replies: 15
Here's how I did it (in a copy of my production installation with a copy of the production database).

1. Exported DFWiki tables.
  2. Deleted DFWiki and Wiki Book (aka Itinerary) in Administration/Configuration/Modules, and DFWiki blocks in Administration/Configuration/Blocks.
  3. Deleted DFWiki folders and files (in folders mod [incl. Itinerary], blocks, course, lang).
  4. Installed NWiki.
  5. Dropped mdl_wiki, mdl_wiki_pages, mdl_wiki_synonymous.
  6. Imported DFWiki tables.
  7. Renamed mdl_dfwiki to mdl_wiki, mdl_dfwiki_pages to mdl_wiki_pages, mdl_dfwiki_synonymous to mdl_wiki_synonymous.
  8. Added Wiki to course section.
  9. Deleted said Wiki in mdl_wiki.
  10. Changed id  of desired DFWiki to id of just deleted Wiki.

Works like a charm. Just remember to back up whatever tables you play with. In fact, it's best to back up the whole database, just in case.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Penny

Re: Successful, No-Nonsense Installation of NWiki and Conversion of DFWiki

by Mark Penny -
Funny. I still get that dratted blank admin/index.php page. I thought I'd licked that.
In reply to Mark Penny

by Mark Penny -
Ah. It was that old feud between NWiki and DFWiki again. Somehow DFWiki installed itself again, though without tables. Perhaps I had forgotten to delete the folders. After deleting the dfwiki folders in mod and blocks, I get a nice admin/index.php page.

Well, mostly nice. Now I get the regular menu plus, because I've enabled debugging, these notices

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/targetei/public_html/testcourseportal/blocks/wiki_navigator/block_wiki_navigator.php on line 34

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/targetei/public_html/testcourseportal/blocks/wiki_navigator/block_wiki_navigator.php on line 37

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/targetei/public_html/testcourseportal/blocks/wiki_synonymous/block_wiki_synonymous.php on line 33

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/targetei/public_html/testcourseportal/blocks/wiki_synonymous/block_wiki_synonymous.php on line 36

They all seem to be related to this bit of code:

// dfwiki-block || course-block
    $dir="";   

I'm no programmer, but I can see a value is missing. What value should it be?
In reply to Mark Penny

by Mark Penny -
And when I open the wiki, I get these notices:

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$evaluation in /home/targetei/public_html/testcourseportal/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 2278

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$notetype in /home/targetei/public_html/testcourseportal/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 2292

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$listofteachers in /home/targetei/public_html/testcourseportal/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 2165

Notice: Undefined index: editor in /home/targetei/public_html/testcourseportal/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 248

Everything seems to be functioning, but one does wonder what's going on behind the scenes and when the scenery is going to come tilting down on the action.

When I edit a page I get

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$evaluation in /home/targetei/public_html/testcourseportal/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 2278

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$notetype in /home/targetei/public_html/testcourseportal/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 2292

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$listofteachers in /home/targetei/public_html/testcourseportal/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 2165

Notice: Undefined index: definitive in /home/targetei/public_html/testcourseportal/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 1448

Notice: Undefined index: editor in /home/targetei/public_html/testcourseportal/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 248

When I view a discussion I get

Notice: Undefined variable: sections in /home/targetei/public_html/testcourseportal/mod/wiki/format/format.php on line 90

When I edit a discussion I get the same as when I view.

When I save an edit of a discussion, I get

Notice: Undefined index: definitive in /home/targetei/public_html/testcourseportal/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 1448

Notice: Undefined variable: sections in /home/targetei/public_html/testcourseportal/mod/wiki/format/format.php on line 90

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$votemode in /home/targetei/public_html/testcourseportal/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 520

In reply to Mark Penny

by Mark Penny -
Had a great deal of trouble making the procedure work in my production installation. As I continued to suspect, despite the mysterious nature of the glitch, it all came down to one simple digit in one field of one record of one table of the database: the instance of the module in the section of the course in mdl_course_modules. I must have lucked out the first and second times--as I recall, anyway. I certainly don't remember having gone into that table to make any changes.

The instance is the id of the record in mdl_wiki. All the associated pages will have this same number in the field dfwiki. This number must be entered in the field instance of course module in mdl_course_modules.
In reply to Mark Penny

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Thank you for all the detailed information about this bug Mark,
I've just posted a solution in other of you opened threads.
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Eliyahu Mitterhoff -
Where is the post? I get this with my new installation of nwiki:

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/globalye/public_html/blocks/updated_blogs/block_updated_blogs.php on line 62

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/globalye/public_html/blocks/updated_blogs/block_updated_blogs.php on line 62

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/globalye/public_html/blocks/wiki_navigator/block_wiki_navigator.php on line 34

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/globalye/public_html/blocks/wiki_navigator/block_wiki_navigator.php on line 37

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/globalye/public_html/blocks/wiki_synonymous/block_wiki_synonymous.php on line 33

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/globalye/public_html/blocks/wiki_synonymous/block_wiki_synonymous.php on line 36
In reply to Eliyahu Mitterhoff

by Mark Penny -

Yes, where is that reply?

Meanwhile, if nwiki is working, I wouldn't worry about those notices. I get them, too (when degugging is on), but nwiki is running fine for me. They differ from warnings. Nothing bad is happening and you're not missing out on anything good (as far as I know).

In reply to Mark Penny

by Eliyahu Mitterhoff -
Nwiki is not working by me. When I try to create a wiki I receive this error:

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$groupmode in /home/globalye/public_html/mod/wiki/view.php on line 93

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$studentmode in /home/globalye/public_html/mod/wiki/view.php on line 106
Table 'moodle.wiki_synonymous' doesn't exist

SELECT * FROM wiki_synonymous WHERE syn = 'First Page' AND dfwiki = '4' LIMIT 100

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$studentmode in /home/globalye/public_html/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 62
Unknown column 'dfwiki' in 'where clause'

SELECT * FROM wiki_pages WHERE pagename = 'First Page' AND dfwiki = '4' AND groupid = '0' LIMIT 1

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$attach in /home/globalye/public_html/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 2156

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$upload in /home/globalye/public_html/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 2157

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$restore in /home/globalye/public_html/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 2158

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$evaluation in /home/globalye/public_html/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 2278

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$notetype in /home/globalye/public_html/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 2292

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$listofteachers in /home/globalye/public_html/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 2165

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$studentmode in /home/globalye/public_html/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 212
Unknown column 'dfwiki' in 'where clause'

SELECT MAX(version) AS maxim FROM wiki_pages WHERE pagename='First Page' AND dfwiki=4 AND groupid=0 AND ownerid=3 LIMIT 100

Theres's an error in page location

by Eliyahu Mitterhoff -

Does anyone know how to get my nwiki working?

by Mark Penny -
I'm afraid your difficulties are somewhat over my head at this point. Maybe Ludo can help. You might try emailing him.

I hate to ask, but are you sure the wiki isn't working at all? You mean you simply cannot create a new wiki? I ask because I get notices about errors almost anytime I do anything in Moodle, but almost everything is working fine.
In reply to Mark Penny

by Eliyahu Mitterhoff -
Unfortunatly, the error I quoted is what I get when I try to create a wiki or go to that wiki. 

by Eliyahu Mitterhoff -
This is bad news. No one is responding and I cannot get the wiki to work.

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
HI Rabbi,
I'm sorry fro my abcense I was since sunday attending to the MoodleMoot spain in tarrragona.

I need the following information:
Server: operating system, database and web server (ex ubuntu, apache, mysql)
Moodle version (1.6.2 rev xxx)
Nwiki version (we posted one new last week.
Does your server come from scratch or is a 1.5.2 migration ??
Do you have any wiki activity running that you wish to keep?
Do you have other non standard module or plug in?

In adition to Mark's suggestions( Thanks Mark ), and in teh case scenariuo that you have no data to loose, I should consider the following :
delete the wiki module in the admin/modules page
remove the folder mod/wiki
remove all the tables in database with "wiki" on its name
try start all over again.

I've tested for the moodlemoot several configuration sof moodle 1.6.2 with success. Including the XAMP moodle distribution on windows, and it works pailessly.
Let's try it, I wish to get your installation up and running!
Ludo

In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Eliyahu Mitterhoff -

Thank you Mark.

1. Server: unix

2. database apache &  mysql

3. Moodle version: 1.6.2

4. Nwiki version (we posted one new last week.) Where exactly is the newsest version??

5. Server came from scratch

6. No wiki activity

Other non standard modules: wikibook

We tried what you said and we even reinstalled moodle but the wiki is still giving us this problem:

When dfwiki is installed in the dfwiki directory it works but when we try and install it the wiki directory our site turns into a blank screen (We seem to be having some problems with blank screens even when we navigate)

by Mark Penny -
I really feel for you. I really, really do.

In situations like this, I try a complete deletion and reinstall.

You might consider
  1. exporting (copying, backing up) your entire database,
  2. exporting all your wiki, dfwiki and nwiki tables (I don't know what you've got in your database),
  3. creating a subdomain, database and database user for a test moodle,
  4. installing 1.6.2 to the test moodle,
  5. installing the latest version of nwiki to the test moodle,
  6. trying nwiki out in the test moodle,
  7. getting nwiki to work in the test moodle,
  8. replacing the nwiki tables in the test moodle database with the nwiki, dfwiki or wiki tables from your production moodle database,
  9. creating a clone of a production moodle wiki, dfwiki or nwiki in the test moodle,
  10. tweaking numbers in the tables to get the clone to draw on the original data,
  11. cloning and data-populating, in the test moodle, all your production moodle wikis, dfwikis and nwikis,
  12. exporting all the nwiki tables in the test moodle database
  13. dropping (deleting) all the wiki, dfwiki and nwiki tables in the production moodle database (you've got copies from the exports in steps 1 and 2, so you can always put them back if you need to),
  14. importing the nwiki tables from the test moodle database,
  15. deleting or renaming all the wiki, dfwiki and nwiki folders and files in the production moodle,
  16. and copying all your nwiki files from the test moodle the production moodle.
There are variations on the general programme and on particular steps. I don't know how advanced your database lore is, so I've given you the steps that I would have followed when I started playing around under the hood. I suppose if I were really advanced, I 'd be able to give you a much shorter and simpler procedure.

Actually, I've given you a neophyte approach to two separate activities: successfully installing nwiki and successfully running dfwiki-generated wikis through nwiki. I understand you are switching to nwiki from wiki (Erfurt Wiki). That I can't help you with, never having done it. I'm newer to Moodle than you are, I suspect.

I find that when things don't work for me after I think I've followed all the steps exactly, it's because I've left something out or done something wrong. Sometimes there really are bugs, but very often the only bugs are in my belfry.