A letter ('m') is appearing and dissapearing in varius places in my fresh moodle installation and even this site!

A letter ('m') is appearing and dissapearing in varius places in my fresh moodle installation and even this site!

by aggelos panagiotakis -
Number of replies: 10
Me and many people have the same problem:
A letter specifficly 'm' is appearing and dissapearing in varius places in my fresh moodle installation of 1.6 . This has happened in the past with the letter 'g'.
I searched with regural expressions to find nothing using grep...... anyone that knows regural expressions please help! its bettwen a clossing  </span> and a new <div>

This is not easy to find .... anyone with good debuging experience will probably find it  but i couldn't with my Zend Studio php Editor and its debuging facilities.

You can see this problem for yourself in the greek community for the moodle localisation here!
http://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=49
or just change the language to greek!

Just notice under the logo in the main page or above Online Users in this url http://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=5 (using moodle) !

I couldn't find an error in the locales under utf8....
please help or guide me!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to aggelos panagiotakis

Re: A letter ('m') is appearing and dissapearing in varius places in my fresh moodle installation and even this site!

by Thomas Robb -
I don't see anything unusual.  I think it is a problem with your computer and its fonts.  Try viewing the same pages from a different computer, or perhaps your own computer but using a different browser.
In reply to Thomas Robb

Απάντηση: Re: A letter ('m') is appearing and dissapearing in varius places in my fresh moodle installation and even this site!

Thanks for such a quick feedback!
I did what you said and then posted this.  No i used firefox and Konqueror and i get the same results.
Did you changed the language to greek from your profile and went to main page of Using moodle ?  the error  appears in the right pane under the "my messages" block and over the "connected users" you can see between them the letter 'm' !
well i checked again and its there.  can you check again , just to make sure i am not crazy ?
smile
Any ideas?

Re: Απάντηση: Re: A letter ('m') is appearing and dissapearing in varius places in my fresh moodle installation and even this site!

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes, I can see that extra "m" letter.
Hope someone will know how to get rid of it!
Joseph
Attachment image00.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Απάντηση: Re: A letter ('m') is appearing and dissapearing in varius places in my fresh moodle installation and even this site!

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Got it! There is an error in your language file: \lang\el_utf8\block_online_users.php. The extra "m" is sitting right at the beginning of the file:

m<?PHP // $Id$
$string['blockname'] = 'Συνδεδεμένοι Χρήστες';

Simply remove it and the problem disappears...

Joseph

Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: A letter ('m') is appearing and dissapearing in varius places in my fresh moodle installation and even this site!

thank you very much! I couldn't have helped myself!

by Thomas Robb -
>Simply remove it and the problem disappears...

Brilliant.  Excellent sleuthing!
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Joseph Rézeau -

by Thomas Robb -
It does seem to be a problem with the script that draws the page.  I've attached a screenshot of part of the source code.  The "m" is located just after the end of the center column with the weekly/topic modules and just before the beginning of the right set of blocks.  Since it location is not "valid" as html it can be rendered erratically.  The "m" always appears on my screen in the upper left just under the orange bar.
Attachment Picture_27.png
In reply to Thomas Robb

Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: A letter ('m') is appearing and dissapearing in varius places in my fresh moodle installation and even this site!

One more question: Is there a way to add this patch in the lang files of the greek localazation? You see I dont have write access to the cvs, even if i would like to. I am currently administrating the greek community and i hope i will complete the greek moodledocs untill the end of September and possibly some more baic locale files for the greek language.

Re: Απάντηση: Re: Απάντηση: Re: A letter ('m') is appearing and dissapearing in varius places in my fresh moodle installation and even this site!

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
It's in CVS.

Thanks a lot for spot and reporting this.

Bugs like this may go in the bugtracker, component languages or reported to the responsable person for the translation (to be found in http://docs.moodle.org/Translation_credits )

If anyone wants to help on a translation, the best thing to do is to contact the current translator - if you don't get an answer, contact me.