Big Problems upgrading to 1.6.1+ (Database Errors)

Big Problems upgrading to 1.6.1+ (Database Errors)

by Graham Stone -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Testers
Please HELP!!!!

I'm trying to upgrade from 1.5.3+ to the current 1.6.1+.  I have tried  every upgrade  path that i can think of and i am still getting lots of errors.  There appears to be an error upgrading the database from 1.5.3+ to 1.6.1+. 

In the past I have done many upgrades of previous versions and never had this problem, the problem seems to be with the database.

All the errors are either Table '.........' Already Exists or Duplicate Key Name '....'
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Graham Stone

Re: Big Problems upgrading to 1.6.1+ (Database Errors)

by Michael Winter -

If you have nothing in the database module you can do what Scott says here http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=48358

I did it and it worked a treat then just deleted all the database tables from DB manually and reinstalled and all is now good.

In reply to Michael Winter

by Graham Stone -
Picture of Testers
Hi,

I've tried that and it stopped throwing up errors for that module but it is still throwing up lots of errors for most of the other modules and tables in my MySQL Database

There appears to be a problem with the upgrade script when it comes to upgradeing all the database tables.  I'm going to spend all day today trying to sort out this upgrade as I have about 35 Moodles to upgrade.

Thanks for any help you can provide with this.
In reply to Graham Stone

by Graham Stone -
Picture of Testers
Ok,

Myself and a collegue have tried everything that we can think of and after nearly 2 days are still no closer.  This may sound like a daft question but has anybody managed to upgrade from 1.5.3+ to 1.6.1+ with a simular platform, we are running Solaris 10, PHP 4.3.11, MySQL 5.0.16

Thanks,
In reply to Graham Stone

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
We have upgraded from 1.5.3+ to 1.6+ under Debian Sarge (php 4.3.10, postgres 7.4.4) with just minor errors (nothing that stopped the upgrade). All seems to work as expected after the upgrade.

Saludos. Iñaki.
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Mostafa Itani -

Hello inaki,

After I have upgraded my moodle to 1.6.1 I lost the enrollment. Now no student/teacher is inside his/her course.

Can clue for that?
We were running LDAP and internal enrollment. Even if i manullay add an account to a course this account can not see the course.

Thanks,

Mostafa

In reply to Mostafa Itani

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
See my reply in the other thread smile

Saludos. Iñaki.
In reply to Graham Stone

by Scott Elliott -
Graham,

Try the most recent 1.6.1+ and see what happens.

Do you have a working backup of your 1.5.3+ install?  If so, you could reload it and try to take it to 1.5.4+ and see what happens.  If that's successful, take it to 1.6.1+.

This is not the typical way to do it, but it may help determine whether it's really a 1.6.1+ issue or not.  My feeling is that that it may be something inconsistent with your database, specifically the mdl_config table and the version entries related to your modules.  If this is true, you will probably not run into this problem very often.

I also read one persons problem was that they were click the continue button multiple times on the same page.

Just some ideas!

Scott
In reply to Graham Stone

by dave streather -
Hi Graham

We are running under Suse Linux but we went from moodle 1.5.2 to .1.6.1 recently.  I did encounter the same problems as you and as a quick fix I noted the 'table already exists' messages and renamed the existing ones so that the upgrade didn't run into them.  After the upgrade I checked and the newly created tables were the same as the renamed ones so there was no merging needed. 

The duplicate key messages turned out to be warnings about duplicate values that currently exist causing a problem in upgrade.  The answer here is to fix the data first if possible, but it didn't stop Moodle working after the upgrade nor did it stop the upgrade itself.

cheers
dave