Marking Block and 1.6

Marking Block and 1.6

by Simon Billington -
Number of replies: 37
I have just upgraded our site to 1.6, no problems, though I cannot get the Marking block to work.  Downloaded the latest version from the bottom of the Marking Block docs page but keep getting this error:

Warning: main(/home/fhlinux206/v/virtuallearner.co.uk/user/htdocs/darlandvle/blocks/marking/lib.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/fhlinux206/v/virtuallearner.co.uk/user/htdocs/darlandvle/blocks/marking/block_marking.php on line 3

Has anybody got this block to work with 1.6?  If so I would be very grateful for a copy of the working version as I use this all the time.

Many thanks

Simon
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Simon Billington

Re: Marking Block and 1.6

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It should work with 1.6, but your error message indicates that it can't find a file that is required by the block. You should check and make sure that its actually there.

The latest is always here: http://download.moodle.org/download.php/modules/block_marking_1.5.zip

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Simon Billington -
Thanks Mike I have installed this version and I don't get the error message although it is not picking up any grade information.  The title of the block is coming up as: studentblockname and then in the main part of the block it just says "no grade info found!"

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Simon
In reply to Simon Billington

by Bruno Vernier -
Simon, if you are getting studentblockname that means you did not unzip the block_marking_1.5.zip in your wwwroot folder correctly... if you had, the lang file would have been installed and you would see "Marking" in en_utf8 instead.  It could also be a permissions issue.  Perhaps the other issue is also a side-effect of an incorrect installation...

I have verified what Mike Churchward says:  on the surface, it does appear that block marking 1.5 works in moodle 1.6.1 and I saw the items that I need to be marked show up correctly

However as Barry Lindler reports, once I try to click on the links to what needs marking, I get the "parameter missing" error.

I am now going to work on this bug (unless someone else reports that they too are working on it).  I will report back once I have some results
In reply to Bruno Vernier

by Bruno Vernier -
correction: Simon: you are right: there is a problem with the lang file

the zip file http://download.moodle.org/download.php/modules/block_marking_1.5.zip
provides two lang folders:  one where it should be if following standard instructions of unzipping at the wwwroot folder (that one is old and incomplete) ... you can delete that one

and one inside the blocks/marking folder (this one is complete) but needs to be moved manually to your lang folder

Marking Block 1.6

by Bruno Vernier -
I finished cleaning up block marking for moodle 1.6.1

here it is attached.

please feel free to email me (see the README) if you find more errors or would like to suggest some improvements

Re: Marking Block 1.6

by Miroslav Fikar -
Hi Bruno,
I have tested the 1.6.1 version of the block that you provided. It gives me the same two warnings in lib.php as the previous version from Mike:
- around line 18: foreach ($allinfo['uncategorised'] as $gname => $ginfo). It seems in our settings that no $allinfo['uncategorised'] exists. I have added if (is_array($allinfo['uncategorised']))  before it.
- the second one is more peculiar, around line 118 (return sprintf("%.2f", ($sgrades / $scount));). I do not know why, but $count is zero. In that case we return '0.00'.

But otherwise, no errors, thanks for improvement.

In reply to Miroslav Fikar

by Bruno Vernier -
Thank you Miroslav. smile

I have incorporated your fix for line 18, and made line 118 return a dash instead of a 0.00

I am working on a few other bugs and then will upload the new version to http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=445

which is where I will put all new versions from now on

thanks for your feedback!

by Simon Billington -
Bruno

Thanks for the updates.  Just installed the latest version and all seems to be OK at the moment.  Will give it a more thorough testing over the next few days.  Thanks again for getting this block back up and running it really is a little gem!

Simon

by Barry Lindler -
Hey Bruno,

Would it be possible to add to the Student's View, My Progess, a link to their grades?  My students often look at the full report, but want to see their actual individual grades. 

Thanks again for the hardwork.
Barry Lindler
In reply to Barry Lindler

by Bruno Vernier -
thanks Mike, for putting it in the repository

Barry: thanks for field testing this block ... my teachers have not started to use it yet so I won't otherwise know until mid-fall if there are any bugs

as for Student's View, My Progress... I'm losing you:  i thought there was no "student view" in marking block... please clarify and can you provide the exact (typical) URL you want inserted into which part of the marking block?

by Barry Lindler -
Hey Bruno,

When I turn on the Marking block on my page, the students get a block on theirs that says My Progress.  
MyProgress
It shows their current average, their position in the course, and a link to Full Report.
FullReport

Also on the students page is a link to Grades.  I'd like to have that link also available in the My Progress block (moodle_root/grade/index.php?id=10) is the current link.
Grades
 I hope that helps to clear it up.  If you'd like, I can give you access so you can see what its doing.   I was just assuming this was part of  Marking_Block.

thanks again,
Barry Lindler

by Barry Lindler -
Hey Bruno,

Here is what I think the My Progress Block should look like-
New My Progress Block
Where the My Grades link should take
them to Grades(moodle_root/grade/index.php?id=10) or whatever the id number happens to be.
Thanks again,
Barry

by Bruno Vernier -
First: thank you Simon Billington for checking out this revised version of marking block for moodle 1.6  (i appreciate that!)

Second:  thanks Barry for suggesting improvements

quick way to add "My Grades" to block_marking.php:

after line 128, add this:

$this->content->text .= "<a href='$CFG->wwwroot/grade/index.php?id=".$this->course->id."'>".get_string('grade')."</a>";

or download attached file and put in blocks/marking

Third:  this style of showing Progress is not suited for self-paced courses, so I intend to add an option to allow choosing a different student progress report view that does not show ranking or average marks, but rather how much of the course has been completed and how close the student is to their target (thanks Barry  for stimulating my brain)

by Barry Lindler -
Thanks Bruno!  That's just what I was thinking of!

Do you know how to set an Agreed Target?  I saw the heading from the My Progress student block view, and when I clicked on Full Report, it has a heading that says Agreed Target.  I have an idea what it is for, but do you know how to set it?

thanks again,
Barry

by Bruno Vernier -
I spent some time studying the code today.  It seems to me that this is part of the "work in progress" aspect of this block. 

The data associated to "Agreed Target" attempts to come from an assignment submission ... I don't see how that relates to what a teacher thinks of as an agreed target for a course full of various activities

this is not going to be a trivial patch.  First I will need to create a new field in user_students (the table which keeps track of who is enrolled in which course) called "goal" or "target" and create a form to populate it with a percentage goal.  Then I need to compare that goal with the "projected grade" which is the sum of all points divided by the number of attempted activities.

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hey Bruno!

Thanks for the work. I'll check your changes/fixes and add them to the repository version.

mike

by Matt Campbell -
I've downloaded Marking Block 1.6b and am testing it now - it looks like it will fit the needs of several of my instructors except for one problem - many of our programs are open-entry and assignments, etc., do not have due dates, and when this is turned off, the marking block sets the due date to Wednesday, December 31 1969, 06:00 PM.

Is there any way to add a check for this and simply not count these items as overdue?

Thanks,
Matt

by Barry Lindler -
I'm having a similar problem.  After installing and selecting which classes to monitor, I was getting the StudentBlock item, but it went away.  Now everything shows up correctly, but if I click on anything in the Marking-Block module, it gives me a "parameter is missing" error.  I'm using Moodle 1.6.1, upgraded from an earlier moodle with marking block installed and working correctly.  I downloaded from the above link, drop the files over my old marking files, and that's where the error started.  Any help would be appreciated - I love the marking_block, especially the fact that it emailed notices of grading to the students - I miss it terribly!

thanks,
barry

by Bruno Vernier -
the "parameter is missing" error is due to a change in moodle 1.6 variable declarations.  I fixed it by changing all the initial variable declarations to use the new form:

to:     $var = optional_param('var','default');

I changed 8 variables.  clicking on the links now works and the marking is done correctly (not thoroughly tested) ... there remains some warning notices that I'd like to work on but here is the file "marking.php' that the impatient can start using right now

by Barry Lindler -
Bruno,

Thank you so much!  Your marking.php has helped out a great deal - clicking on the links now works.  You're right about the other messages - after trying to send out reminders, it quickly said unable to instantiate send mail - ugh.  It appears that marked submission emails went out, but I'm creating a user now to test that. 

Also, on the marking page, the "First submission that are unmarked:" , and "Marked submissions" titles appear fine, but the "unmarked resubmission" appears as "unmarkedresubmissions:"   I wish I could help you debug - I'm reading as much as I can, but man this is getting deep!  I look forward to more posts from you on the subject if you have the time.

thanks again for helping a guy out!
Barry Lindler

by Bruno Vernier -
Barry, your bug report on unmarkedresubmissions and sendmail error slipped by me this week.  I just checked.

unmarkedsubmissions is in the lang file ... so I wonder if your lang file is up to date.  please check by editing or viewing lang/en_utf8/block_marking.php and searching for the string "unmarkedresubmissions" and if it not there, add:
$string['unmarkedresubmissions'] = 'Unmarked Resubmissions';

as for the send mail warning, I don't know what to say... perhaps you did test it and found that it works anyways?  ...

by Matt Gibson -

Just did a fresh install of 1.6.1+ and got the marking block from CVS. All seems well (although I've not tested it fully yet) but when I turn error reporting on, this turned up on the front page of the site:

Notice: Undefined property: object::$id in C:\MoodleWindowsInstaller-latest-16\moodle\moodle\blocks\marking\block_marking.php on line 20

Notice: Undefined property: object::$id in C:\MoodleWindowsInstaller-latest-16\moodle\moodle\blocks\marking\block_marking.php on line 134

Any suggestions?

In reply to Matt Gibson

by Bruno Vernier -
the person who put block_marking in cvs is apparently not maintaining it anymore.  I took over (until someone offers to take over) and so the latest fixed up version is not in cvs anymore (until I (apply for) and get cvs rights to that folder) ... for now please use: http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=445 which is the other legitimate space for storing moodle extensions

by Matt Gibson -

Hi Bruno,

thanks for all your work on this. I've got a fresh copy as you directed and it does indeed remove the error. Trouble is, I'm getting some assignments showing up twice. Any idea why? I'm not sure where to look for more info on the nature of the error.

Matt

Attachment marking_error.JPG
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Matt Gibson -

Actually, the error is still there on the front page, but only when I am not logged in. When I log in it goes and the block displys properly apart from the duplicates.

Students, however, see this:

Notice: Undefined property: object::$footer in C:\MoodleWindowsInstaller-latest-16\moodle\Moodle CVS\moodle\blocks\moodleblock.class.php on line 222

but not on the front page, only in a course they are part of which has the block installed. when I look at the same page as teacher, there's no error. Also no error when I turn student view on.

For now, I've just turned error reporting off.

Matt

In reply to Matt Gibson

by Bruno Vernier -
Matt:  which version of block_marking are you using?  I thought I had resolved the missing footer property bug. 

I cannot replicate your errors, so if you are using the latest version 2006091200, please send me a course backup that replicates these errors

turning error reporting is a good solution.  Note: block marking sort of works but is still in beta (and likely so for a while)

by Matt Gibson -
Ah, I've got 2006082700 so maybe that's the problem. I'll get a new copy. presumably not from CVS.
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Matt Gibson -
Actually, the copy I have installed is 1.6b from the download link on the modules and plugins database (Ijust downloaded it it again and there is no change) and above is the version number it gives, even though the last revision to a file within it is the 8th Sept.

Is this the right one?
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Bruno Vernier -
yes, you have the latest published one (sorry about the confusion)

note: i am unlikely to be able to improve it likely until this winter

(but I will act on patches submitted to me smile

by Matt Gibson -

Ah, good to hear.

I have still got the dupicate entries thing and now, in a different course, I get no entries at all even though 13 essays are sitting there unmarked. Thanks for the offer to check out the courses for me, I'm going to send zipped up copies to you by email.

If you can solve these issues I'll be eternally grateful. smile The marking block is one of the most useful bits of moodle I've found 

Matt

In reply to Matt Gibson

by Bruno Vernier -
clarification please:

1. are you dealing here only with assignment activities (not journal activities) ?
2. how many of these activities are there in the first course (with the duplicates)
3. how many of these activities are there in the second course (with none showing up in block marking) ?  

by Matt Gibson -
Hi Bruno,
  1. Yes
  2. 5
  3. 20
It's worth pointing out that the second course (with none showing up) is one that I used last year and am now recycling, but I don't think I reset it, so the deadlines of some of the assignments will still be a year ago. I'm just sending you those backups by email, which should help clarify things.

Matt

In reply to Matt Gibson

by Gary Newport -

I am sorry if you have seen my postings elsewhere but as I trawl through the areas I find what I think is the best place to post then come across another one!

I have installed this plugin and now my grades for assignments are disappearing. It first set all No Grades to 0/100. Then it removed marked submissions, removed the comments, the grades and the submission itself. Initally this was by one class but now it is the whole cohort (over 200 pieces of work).

I am getting a little panicked here! smile

In reply to Gary Newport

by Bruno Vernier -
please note: this marking block is a work in progress ... it contains several known bugs, and at this time no one is working on improving it. Although I am not its author, I repackaged it for moodle 1.6 in the hope that some people would join me in an effort to make it work properly. So far about 4 people have been sending me bug reports and I am waiting to find some time to start working on them (unless someone beats me to it smile

Do not use it on a production system unless you are prepared to take the risks involved with testing unstable software.

Now about your bug report: are you reporting what the marking block is saying or what your gradebook is now saying after you installed marking block?

by Gary Newport -

I have now had to fully remove the marking block at present.

The gradebook shows all zeros (0).

If I go to the assignment it states that I could view 95 submissions (so something knows that people have submitted work).

If I follow this link then the Assignment grading sheet shows all 0/100, no comments and no evidence of submitted work. I then click on Last Modified (By Teacher) and then Surname and hey presto all submissions, grades and comments are back (but never in the root Grades list). Leave and the next time I log in and go to the Assignment grading sheet; nothing!

Therefore the data is still present but something has stepped inbetween, causing this issue. In removing the block it seems to have stopped; though someone has stated that it has happened to another course elsewhere and we cannot pinpoint when (before or after deleting the block).

I take your point about not using on a Production run and did believe our backup system offered protection but am now very aware that this was a poor assumption. Also, I did review all the comments and perceived this to be a low risk block to run. I am now aware that I am not alone in this issue and would love to see it solved; it's a fantastic idea!

Good luck. I'd offer to help but at present my PHP is P.A.N.T.S. and I don't have time right now to improve that fact!

by Dave Emsley -

We used this block under 1.5 and it was excellent, probably the most useful block as far as teachers were concerned.  I hope you do move this onto the 1.6 platform successfully.

Cheers for your efforts.

Dave

by Gabriel Rivadeneira -

Hi Mike,

Are there any version of this module for moodle 1.9.1 y 1.9.2??

Thank you.