Do blocks need updating / fixing for Moodle 1.6?

Do blocks need updating / fixing for Moodle 1.6?

by Jan Dierckx -
Number of replies: 1

Some people reported problems with the random picture block, the search block and the analog clock block when upgrading to 1.6.

While the search block stores data in a separate database table and as such needs conversion to utf-8, the other blocks are really simple. Only some configuration data (title of the block, picture folder, footer text, etc...) is stored inside the block instance. Do they need updating? I am postponing upgrading to Moodle 1.6 because of mysql version being too low, so I haven't tested what happens.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jan Dierckx

How to update a block for Moodle 1.6? (help! help!)

by Jan Dierckx -

Ok, It was a mistake to think that I, a teacher who likes programming during his sparetime, could keep up with the pace of Moodle development. I upgraded most of these blocks for 1.5, but I fear the utf conversion for Moodle 1.6 is one step too much. mixed

I've already dropped the random picture block and the time block, but I really need the configurable search block. Teachers have already added different search engines to that block and I would really like to keep it.

Since the quite silly implemented random quote block I've learned most of the stuff by looking at other people's code. I tried looking at the source code for the conversion scripts, but I can't really grasp what's the point. I can't really find good documentation on writing the conversion scripts either.

Is there someone willing to take a look at the code of the multiple search block and help me understand which fields exactly need which utf8 conversion?

The multiple search block is a block I wrote to replace the different wikipedia / webster / moodledocs / dictionary / google / blocks used on our school site. Code and some explanation with a screenshot can be found in this discussion

and here

TIA