Moodle Trademark Email??

Re: Moodle Trademark Email??

by D.I. von Briesen -
Number of replies: 39

I'm kind of at a loss as to where to post this, as this is one of those threads (56 posts at last count) that gets so long it's hard to figure out where to start and finish).

I have been doing minor IT consulting since I was about 22 (others start when they're 10 I suppose) and as I became familiar with moodle, and became the chief advocate/pimp/evangelist for my school, and eventually North Carolina (a state here in the U.S), it was inevitable that a few paid jobs came along. In one, I worked for a small district and basically suggested they get busy putting things online, and so we set up moodle- but most of the work was doing 4 websites. In another it was our internal Corporate and Continuing Ed dept for some training - they actually couldn't pay my company- they had to do some overload pay thru our HR since I was an employee. In other cases, I've gotten some small stipends or honorarium for presentations. Sometimes it's nothing, and sometimes its gas money.

So I assume I'm a lot like a lot of folks here - I'm confident very few moodlers are professional service providers (at least as a percentage) - I make my living as a teacher and an administrator. I have openly talked about one day wanting to teach half the time, and consult (originally with moodle) the other half. So I finally incorporated, made up a company name, got a business bank account, etc... Then I submitted a moodle partner application some time ago (a year, or two? It's all a blur) and after a brief back-and forth, it ended up dead in the water.

There is an active discussion OUTSIDE this forum that is far more secretive and goes on between all kinds of folks who are reluctant to post here for a variety of reasons. I am reluctant to post here because I now do work for a partner - and I don't want to hurt that - but my heart says it's necessary to write here, and I'd rather follow that than my wallet.

Folks are wondering why there has been no US partner approved in a LONG time. Folks are wondering what's going on with moodlerooms, and it's relationship to Martin, vis-a-vis other partners. Folks are wondering if, when they contribute to code, when they participate on this board, when the enhance and build the community immensely in their regions, why they can't be partners; Why their applications are in some kind of limbo. It'd be one thing to say, "Become a partner and you're legit" but that's not it. You're saying, "You can't use the name to offer any professional services associated with the name, oh, and by the way, you'll never be able to because we're not making any new partners."

So that's one concern- I don't know if it's an ethical or moral issue - but it just feels rotten to me. I've got a couple grand sitting in a bank account that I'd be happy to give to moodle as a partner, but since I can't be partner, what's my motivation? Nothing like reading a cease-and-desist letter to stamp out goodwill.

The other concern is actually much broader, and IMHO more critical to the community at large. Down here in the trenches of K-12, community colleges, non-profits, prisons, etc... we are in a high-stakes battle with commercial vendors to get moodle in before somebody in a suit signs a contract for 3 years with someone like blackCT. Moodle NEEDS professional representation and it needs a lot of it in a lote places. Moodle needs a presenter and a consultant at EVERY education conference with over a few hundred people. Moodle services need to show up in yellow pages, and banner ads (eww... did I say that?) and silver, gold and bronze sponsors at shows, and on those stupid shoestrings that hold your badge around your neck... the moodle name needs to synonymous with high-quality, low cost, improved education.

Would you buy a car if there was nobody who serviced that brand? Would you buy a computer that had no reputation? Or where the only people who could work on it for you were "under the table" not allowed to list the product on their site for fear of a letter of reprimand, and when doing so voided the warranty or hope of support from the public forum?

Martin, I know you - not well, but we've met and had brief conversations. I know some others in the community much better, and we've had some lengthy discussions on this. There is a huge body of conversation that you may never have access to (but which I'm sure you participate in) surrounding the partners program revenue streams, branding, forking, renaming, etc...  As I said before, many are just not comfortable hanging this out here- and kudos to those who've spoken up.

Martin wrote "The bottom line is making the Moodle project sustainable into the future and keeping the software Free."

If this is REALLY the bottom line, then figure out a way for others to be part of the professional team. The small guys won't threaten the big partners - but they will help advocate moodle and get it into the small markets, and they will be happy to give 10% back to moodle.  There could be a long discussion about the short and long-term consequencies of monopolies or oligopolies - but normally it wouldn't involve a healthy, thriving, happy community.

Cheers!

d.i.

ps: I can't stop thinking about bicycleunderpantsCMS.... thoughtful

In reply to D.I. von Briesen

by N Hansen -
About Moodlerooms, I can say one thing-its web site has sure changed completely since I first saw it in May. It was never announced here, but I saw someone mention it in the forums and so I visited the site out of curiosity. At that time its list of owners was outlined clearly, one of them being Martin. At the time, it seemed that their big emphasis was on mentoring services, but now it seems the entire web site has changed, no mention of anyone's name is made anywhere, and the focus seems to be more on hosting services. I am not saying anything sinister is going on here, and maybe these changes were made in response to a less than desired response to the first design, but still it seems a bit odd. And in any case, it sounded a lot more impressive and innovative before the change. Frankly, some of the text on the site is real purple prose:

What sets Moodlerooms apart?

We were born to support Moodlers.   Finally, we provide reassurance and results for the clever, clever institutions that are turning to Moodle from proprietary companies.

Born to support Moodlers? What, is it in their genes? And what are clever, clever insitutions? That just sounds silly and completely unconvincing.

In reply to N Hansen

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Well, there was several different iterations of the company being discussed before they finally properly got set up in July. At one point I was considering more personal involvement but decided against it because of the possible conflicts of interest.

As for the prose, perhaps it does read that way but if you knew the passion and commitment of Tom Murdock, Gina Russell, Sheila Gatling, Art Lader, Lesli Smith and the rest of their team like I do then it would seem more forgivable.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by N Hansen -
Those of us familiar with the passion and commitment of those people, but that doesn't matter if the ad copy is lousy. All I am saying is that what I read back in May sounded spectacular, and it has been replaced with goofy stuff that sounds like it was written by a high school intern. I mean if I was shopping for Moodle services, I wouldn't care if they considered themselves to be "born to Moodle" but I would care about what they could do for me. There was detailed information about that before, now it has been replaced with purple prose and canned descriptions of their services.
In reply to N Hansen

by dave cormier -
Tell us how you really feel... smile

However i may have worded things slightly differently, I share some of your frustration. While i do not advise people to use moodle in every situation I've been advocating moodle all over for while now. One of the impediments to offering moodle as a serious solution (read: enterprise) is the lack of (traditional) professionalism in the ways some people speak about it. Administrators are not interested so much with "those are yearly prices, not monthly!" comments. The people who are converting to moodle, from, to pick a piece of software at random, blackboard, are used to the 'men in suits' flash and pizzazz approach.

The money is not the issue... in reality it never is. The advantage of a product like moodle is its customization blended with its scalability, both from a technical and a pedagical side. Those teachers on the low end of the CMS economy (and we've had many on our show) will go to insertcutiename-host and install moodle either from download or with an automated install. The real battleground, the professional institutions, need less "purple prose and canned descriptions" and more clear, professional assurances that the open source route is not going to blow up in their face...

and the sad truth is that the enthusiasm and dedication that Martin was alluding to in the team is often read a short term quality.
In reply to N Hansen

by Steve Hyndman -

I mean if I was shopping for Moodle services, I wouldn't care if they considered themselves to be "born to Moodle" but I would care about what they could do for me.

But that's the beauty of a monopoly...your "shopping" options are extremely limited...if you don't like it, where are you going to go? wink

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by N Hansen -
Steve-Honestly, the way Moodlerooms was described back in May it sounded like they were offering something quite different from other partners, at least with respect to the mentoring. I was really impressed.

In any case, what concerned me a bit about the Moodle partners and the way Moodle has been handled in general in the US is the concentration on the East Coast. The Moodle Moots that have been held here have all been on the East Coast, two around DC and one in NY. The three Moodle partners are on the East Coast. While this shouldn't hinder them in dealing with potential customers over the internet, I wonder if it limits their in-person marketing efforts, or the cost of any in-person training sessions they offer (due to the expense of flying their reps to points beyond the East Coast).

There certainly haven't been any Moodle Moots somewhere that it would be affordable for me to attend. The airfare, the hotel, the registration fees (I'm in a field where the conference registration fees are always much more reasonable and often they are free, and the conference organizers even sometimes put the participants up), are all cost prohibitive. The irony is I can attend conferences in Egypt even though I live in Chicago and spend less money in doing so than going to a Moodle Moot in Massachusetts.

I do feel to some extent that we Midwesterners and those out West are sort of left out of the loop of things. I mean this is a big country with four major time zones (leaving out Alaska and Hawaii) and six hours by plane from coast to coast. But perhaps that is how you can fill a niche. While you might not be able to be an independent partner, you might be able to work with an existing East Coast partner as a Midwest representative.
In reply to N Hansen

by Tom Murdock -
Thanks, all, for your helpful critiques of the webcopy at Moodlerooms
blush.  Because I am not a code developer, this is my first experience of
"constructive criticism" from the forums...  Egad.   I re-double my
appreciation towards developers (maybe this is my personal penance for
asking for too many features in the past).

Briefly, I was trying to point out that we had constructed a company around
the support of Moodle (a company is born), but the text clearly causes a
false laugh, so I will revise.  (The power of revision).  As for Nicole's
curiousness about why our Moodle Mentor support program is not "front and
center" on the site in this iteration, it is only because of a chicken and
egg proposition: more hosting promotes more mentoring; more mentoring does
not necessarily promise more hosting.  We believe the two make for a winning combination, though.

I've been following this thread with interest, too, and I really appreciate
the various passions that make this thread hiccup with starts and stops.  I
invite Moodlers to connect with me off-line if they wonder whether their
companies could coordinate with Moodlerooms.  We're not big enough yet to
hire and contract with all the people in this forum, but our ears are
wide open for great ideas that you think will continue the very fast growth
of Moodle in the USA.

-Tom (Moodlerooms)
Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Steve Hyndman -

I invite Moodlers to connect with me off-line if they wonder whether their
companies could coordinate with Moodlerooms.  We're not big enough yet to
hire and contract with all the people in this
forum, but our ears are
wide open for great ideas that you think will continue the very fast growth
of Moodle in the USA.

Tom,

Thanks for the post and I'll have to say, I'm very impressed with the positive and good natured way you responded to some pretty harsh criticism of Moodlerooms here. I met you (and some of your other partners) last year at the NE Moot and it's obvious the dedication you have to Moodle and online learning. Again, I hope your company is a raging success.

I would imagine there are some people here who would like the opportunity to work for your company...or become a sub-partner?...I'm not really sure how that would work, since this is the first time I've heard of this approach where other "companies could coordinate with Moodlerooms". Does this mean that existing partners have the "authority" to allow other companies to use the trademark if they work with the partner company in some way? Is there a sub-partner program that no one has heard about?

Please don't take this wrong, but I'm not interested in being hired by your company. If I wanted to work for someone else, I wouldn't have started my own company...I would imagine a lot of others who are reading this thread with interest feel the same way.

But, I do want to end by saying again, I truly do wish you and your company the best.

Oh....and a great idea that will continue the very fast growth of Moodle in the USA is for moodle.com to rethink its sweeping enforcement of the trademark and understand that you can have a viable partners program and still allow others to advertise the fact that they offer Moodle services (something that a lot of other people are already doing anyway). It's ironic that the people who are complying with the trademark enforcement are people like me who are regular contributors to the forums here and who are (were) spreading the good work about Moodle. Others who contribute nothing to Moodle are still offering Moodle services and are just ignoring the trademark issue....just do a Google search on Moodle Training, Hosting, Themes, Support, etc., to see for yourself. If I were a partner I would be concerned about what this approach could do to my earning potential.

Steve 

Steve

In reply to N Hansen

Re: Moodle Trademark Email?? (Or calling all Midwestern Moodlers)

by Lesli Smith -
"There certainly haven't been any Moodle Moots somewhere that it would be affordable for me to attend. The airfare, the hotel, the registration fees (I'm in a field where the conference registration fees are always much more reasonable and often they are free, and the conference organizers even sometimes put the participants up), are all cost prohibitive. The irony is I can attend conferences in Egypt even though I live in Chicago and spend less money in doing so than going to a Moodle Moot in Massachusetts."

Nicole--What a fabulous idea!  We SHOULD find a way to organize some kind of Moot here in the Midwest.  Here's what I learned from my trip to Byfield, MA:

1) The Moot in Byfield was started by some enthusiastic Moodlers on a campus with wide institutional and community support simply because of their own desire to share what they learned with others.  Totally grass roots and it has grown since.

2) They generously waived registration and boarding fees for presenters.  I met several colleagues who did what I did, as we teachers often do: find a way to get to a conference on a subject we're really passionate about--even if it means we have to work a little bit while we're there.  smile  And since I was presenting, my very forward-thinking school (they're interested in Moodle, but haven't gone in that direction, yet) found professional development grant funds to send me to the conference.  But you're so right--any conference we can attend that doesn't cost airfare is much easier to get approval for and to attend, especially if it is a passion we alone hold on our separate campuses.

Now to apply these lessons to the Midwest:  I do know that several institutions in the Twin Cities metro area are or have already adopted Moodle--mostly higher ed instititutions.  I also know that Luther in Decorah, Iowa has adopted Moodle.  I'm sure there are other Midwestern schools out there that haven't crossed my somewhat limited radar, yet.  I'm also sure that we could all put our heads together and find a way to make a Moot happen in our area.

Here's my one reservation:  I'm due to have a baby in November this year, so I know that I can't realistically commit to coordinating such an undertaking myself in the near future--but I will say here and now that I would be willing to serve as a support person for any other energetic soul willing to take on this initiative.

In Byfield this June and here at Moodle.org over the past few years, it has been my experience that Moodlers are some of the most generous people on earth.  approve  In short, where there's a need, we'll find a way to fill it.  What do you say, Midwesterners, anyone interested?  smile

Lesli
In reply to Lesli Smith

by Tony Hursh -
There are quite a few of us here at UIUC. I know of at least eight Moodle installations here on campus, and there may well be others that I don't know about.

In reply to Lesli Smith

by N Hansen -
Twin Cities would work for me-as long as the Megabus is still running and I buy my tickets far enough in advance I could get from Chicago to Minneapolis for $1 each way! Can't beat that price (and believe it or not, the Megabus is actually quite comfortable and nice-I took it to Milwaukee in June for $1).  I got an email the other day from someone in Minnesota at a university using Moodle and I know there are others, I think maybe even high schools too-so it might be a good location. It might also be a good location for some people who want to come down from Canada.  Champaign-Urbana is good too. I'd even fly out to Humboldt State in California if they had a Moot since I could visit with my parents along the way up there...It's just the east coast that is a real hassle and expense since the flight schedules all seem to be such that you have no choice but to fly in the night before and shell out $150 plus for an extra hotel night-which is a real annoyance considering that the flight usually doesn't take more than 2 hours.
In reply to N Hansen

Re: Calling all Midwestern Moodlers

by Lesli Smith -
Megabus?  Didn't know that existed.  Will have to check it out--much cheaper than driving to Chicago as I have done in the past.  Sounds as if there's interest even closer to you--UIUC??  I would certainly be willing to travel to Illinois, too.  Have done it often for various reasons.

Well, I know this is my fault, but we're really veering off topic, here.  Still, I'd really like to keep discussion on a possible Midwest Moot going, if people are interested.  I think I'll start a new thread to that effect.  smile
In reply to Lesli Smith

by Jonathan Moore -
I just want to mention that there have been MoodleMoots in the Midwest. The first US MoodleMoot that I know of that was posted on moodle.org was actually in Kansas three years ago. We have been putting it on with MACE (http://www.mace-ks.org/mticonference.htm) ever since. We just had one not 2 weeks ago. The week before that there was one in Oklahoma and I think there have been ones in Nebraska.

Doesn't mean we don't need more, but there have been no shortage of options, perhaps just not enough marketing wink.
In reply to D.I. von Briesen

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi D.I.,

In the U.S. at the moment we're trying an approach of a few larger companies rather than lots and lots of little ones, primarily to reduce central administration (you probably don't realise how much time it takes to manage royalties and partners, it's basically a full-time job already) but also to simplify things for end-users.

This may change in future if it's not working, but that's what we're trying now (as I think I probably said to you in Savannah). All the current Moodle Partner companies there in the US (Remote Learner, Classroom Revolution and Moodlerooms) are growing rapidly. I would personally much rather have three big, capable, experienced 24-hour companies than 100 one-man operators, and I know most people seeking professional Moodle Services would too.

If you want to do business under a Moodle brand, then joining up with one of the existing partners (as you did and others are doing) is a good approach and what I'd recommend to anyone else there. That *IS* "the way for others to be part of the professional team". Coordination then happens efficiently inside those companies and I don't have to be involved. wink

However if you want to go it alone with your own business then you're free to do this, of course, just as long as you mind the trademarks.

Moodle promotion etc is a separate issue. I'm sure most of us do a lot of that whether or not money is involved.

by Steve Hyndman -

However if you want to go it alone with your own business then you're free to do this, of course, just as long as you mind the trademarks.

If anyone has any suggestions on how DI, or anyone else for that matter, can actually do that, with the sweeping way this trademark is being enforced, I would be interested in hearing suggestions. 

I don't want to use DI as an example, so let's take my business as an example (kentuckyclassroom.com). Does anyone have a suggestion of what I could put on that site (while minding the trademark) to let people know that I provide moodle hosting and services?

Steve

by Robert Garza -

Steve and DI, I'll take a stab at this.

First, my apologies to everyone before I speak.  My 15 years of software-gun-for-hire has made me unique in the ways I view software development, software solutions and the software business in general.  In fact recently, I was called 'grim' and 'fiber-less' by other Moodle members but I took no offense and I have great respect for their opinions.  We all have different perspectives and access to solve problems.  So I am sure I will be labeled still further.  I am not idealistic or theoretical but I do have a passion for solving people's problems through software.

After many years of being a hired gun I decided to open my own shop.  Since my wife is an Instructional Designer I decided to compliment her by looking at the educational arena. Since open source did not have very many restrictions I decide that would be a good place to start.  I had already done one Moodle project before and it was interesting. Plus market competition was very limited (I’m in San Antonio, TX).  The only 2 Moodle Partners then had pior established businesses and had Moodle as one of their many services.  Although it seemed, based on their news sections, that they were not doing that much Moodle business. That still seems true even now.  So I started Chimera Software LLC providing educational open-source services.

Initially my web site (http://www.chimerasoftware.com) was more Moodle-centric.  During the past day I have changed it to more reflect my lack of Moodle Partner status.  I now use Moodle as an example of my work and services.  I may still be in violation but I will change the site as requested.  Right now, I have a University client and 2 corporate clients on the horizon (hope they come through).  I never told them I was a Moodle Partner just told them the virtues of the product...in most cases Moodle sells itself.  So check out my website.  Now, I have not asked permission from Martin or anyone at Moodle because at this time I had no desire to become a Moodle partner. Actually I do not have the time to pursue it…maybe in the future.  Plus I figure, I am only doing Moodle a favor but listing it on my website.  I guess I could have chosen another open-source product.  But, I will submit a letter of permission to the Moodle Helpdesk in the near future.

So my business is actually marketing myself, my capabilities and my company and not Moodle. I have joined the Texas Computer Education Association (TCEA) and will be presenting a presentation on Moodle and it virtues at their next conference in Feb 2007.  Last year they had 8,000 attendees so it looks promising.  I have also joined the local chapter of the American Society of Training and Development (ASTD) and have found some interested clients there.  I also attended the “Innovations in Learning” conference support by the University of Texas TeleCampus and talked to a few people about Moodle, once again there was some interest there.

In the end, Moodle is a product that I support and will suggest to as many people as I possibly can.  It is up the customer to decide if my solution is valid and if I am capable of solving their problem.  I make sure that people know that I am not a Moodle Partner and actually no one cares if I am or not.  Their concern is if I can solve their problems and not if I solved it using ATutor or Dokeos or Moodle….or even Blackboard (but I wouldn't do that).

As for Moodle Partnership in the U.S., the problem is that each state has a different educational landscape, different rules and different politics.  I appreciate the 3 Moodle Partners in the U.S. but they don’t offer me any insight to the Texas educational system at any level (K6, K9, K12, K16, High School or University). In fact in Texas, it seems that only the bleeding-edge people in educational arena and educators that have literally no budget have even heard of Moodle.  (But there are a few Moodlers and they are pretty darn good.)   Even then, the politics of system administrators usually trump all good intentions.  It is a tough but I am making some headway because there is interest in Moodle in Texas and more than you would think.

Lastly, here is something else that I have not asked for Moodle’s permission: to start a Moodle Users Group.  Here in Texas, we are spread far apart and trying to make more local Moodle connections would be very comforting.  I have started a beta version of the concept at www.TexasMoodle.org.  It is done in Drupal but with Moodle 1.6 out, it may be a better option. The goals of the user group are: (1)Promoting the use of Moodle in Texas, (2)Providing more local and regional hands-on support to Moodle Users of all levels, (3)Planning and having a Texas MoodleMoot and (4)Supporting Moodle.org. The last one would be donating any left over money from the Moot to Moodle.org.

In talking to other Texas Moodlers, they all think it is a great idea and would help them convince their employers or institutions to use Moodle.  Some of them have said that a Moodle Partner would not be able to help them unless they were on an approved vendor list and in some cases you have to be a Texas-based operation.  If a Moodle user group is something that is not permitted then I will take down the site.  But as soon as I am ready to move from beta to production I will email the helpdesk for permission. That way they see the full impact of the idea and not some beta version of a concept.  Right now, I don’t think the site is fully on the right track but I still think it is a great idea.

I guess the real questions are:

Is Moodle ready to have local or regional user groups?
Would a user group help or hurt Moodle?

I’ll leave those questions up for another discussion.

Martin, I will accept any judgments you have of anything I have done on the Internet.  Please understand that myself and others (like Steve, DI) only have the best of intentions and I think you believe that already.  I do understand and RESPECT your position and plans for the US market and your reasons.  The only I could ask for, if possible, is to make those plans known (you may have and I missed them) so that I and others do not accidentally interfere and you may find that we are even willing to help.

So hopefully I have minded the trademarks, if I haven’t then tell me what I need to change.

Steve and DI, my suggestion is this - focus your business on YOU and your capabilities and not products.  I’m sure your current customers have chosen you and you future customers will choose you because of YOU and your talents and not because you support one product or another.

But that is my 2 cents.

Rob

In reply to Robert Garza

by Steve Hyndman -

Steve and DI, my suggestion is this - focus your business on YOU and your capabilities and not products.  I’m sure your current customers have chosen you and you future customers will choose you because of YOU and your talents and not because you support one product or another.

Great post Rob and I agree 100% about building a business around YOU and not the products. The ironic thing is that my business hasn't suffered one bit as a result of the cease-and-desist notice. I have all the business I can handle and have had to turn down several opportunities to provide Moodle services since the cease-and-desist notice. All this has really done is to cause me to be a lot less enthusiastic about spreading the word about Moodle.

In fact, over the past couple of years, I have been teaching Moodle as part of my graduate education technology classes....around 100 students per term, times 3 terms per year, equals over 600 Kentucky teachers/administrators who have learned Moodle in my classes. Since receiving the cease-and-desist notice, I have spent the last few weeks completely writing Moodle out of my lessons. I will no longer cover it in my classes. Over the past couple of years, I have done Moodle presentations at 4 international conferences (and several State and local conferences/workshops)....my last one was at the UK MoodleMoot a couple of weeks ago. That was my last Moodle presentation at a conference...I will do no more. I published two papers on using Frontpage to create ePortfolios and was in the process of writing one about an easier way to build ePortfolios using Moodle...I've scrapped that paper now and will not submit it for publication.

Why am I doing this?....it's real simple. Before the cease-and-desist notice, I really did feel like I was a valuable part of the "Moodle Community" and I was motivated to spread the word far and wide. After receiving the cease-and-desist notice, I realized that I was really just a "sales person" and "free labor" for Moodle.com...and that doesn't work for me. Again, I have no ill-will for any of the Moodle Partners. I think they provide a valuable service and I hope their businesses are very successful, but I'm not going to be a salesman for a market that I am not allowed to participate in.

Again, that's just me...I realize I'm more stubborn that most smile

Steve

by Darren Cooper -

Steve,

I really do think that is a shame, I hope you reconsider that decision, it would be a real shame. I think a product such as Moodle need people like yourself.

I still think you are:
Quote: a valuable part of the "Moodle Community"
As this dialogue has shown, you have addressed issues that touch lots of us. I have a learnt a lot by going through this thread and it has helped me to define my roadmap and the way forwards. So I would like to thank you and all the others that have helped clarify this issue.

But I really do think turning you back on Moodle because of this issue is a real shame your first post back in 2004 and the many since have helped me and no doubt many others too, for which I am very grateful. I appreciate your input, partner or not, moodle logo or not. I "think" I understand both sides of the issue but I feel it's time to put a lid on it and get back to doing what we all normaly do, Moodle. If you do leave good luck and thanks but I hope you'll stick around.

Yes I'm fairly new here and have possibly overlooked something, I've also gone through differences with people in this community and am happy to say we have managed to find a solution that we either agree on or agree to disagree on and then get on with things. I have learned a lot in the process of these debates. I admit, issues that were not as significant as this issue but still issues and differences. Once again, I think your leaving would be a real loss to the Moodle community. Please reconsider carefully before you proceed with your Quote "stubborn" decision.

Regards
Darren

by Martín Langhoff -
Steve, have you considered that you can't really use the Apache, PHP or Linux trademarks without explicit permission?

by D.I. von Briesen -
Hey, Steve- stop being stubborn.

I've been married for 15 years, and have 5 kids. I don't like all of them all of the time, but I ALWAYS love 'em! Don't let something like this that you disagree with change your life so much. If I can't appeal to you on heart grounds (i.e. let your heart overpower your id) then I'll give you a business argument:

If you let things bug you like this, where you incline away from your natural course and actions, and give energy and mind to things that are not useful, you are letting those things have "free rent on your brain".

You really wanna give free rent?

Nah... You can love moodle and the community and support it - but dislike the letter. But don't give the letter free mental real estate. thoughtful

Cheers!

d.i.

by Martin Dougiamas -
I'm seriously glad your business is going well for you, that's great!

As I've said repeatedly for weeks to you, none of this Trademark stuff is supposed to prevent people running their business using Moodle. Yet you still post FUD like this when I know you know better.

If only you'd just replied to the letter when you'd got it to discuss it with me, instead of immediately posting misleading and incorrect information all over the internet. I even said hi to you in person at the UK Moot but you ignored me.

As a result I do feel rather like you are not interested in resolving this issue but actually prefer to be engaged in smearing Moodle.

by N Hansen -
Steve-I can say one thing for sure-even if you weren't advertising them-I certainly wouldn't come to you if I needed Moodle services. With your bitter attitude about Martin's choice in how he runs his business, I wouldn't trust you one bit to run a Moodle installation and not try and sabotage my site just to turn me against Moodle too. And certainly if I needed support, I would now know you don't have a good relationship with the Moodle developers or the people in these forums now that you could harness to my business's advantage.

To me it is completely clear that Martin has chosen not to monopolize the market but to simply go after one segment of it. If he had chosen to monopolize the market he would have gone after you and every other non-Moodle partner and demanded a 10% royalty, but he didn't, he just said stop using my trademark to run your business.

I can tell you that I have never used a Moodle partner myself, simply because the Moodle partners all offer basically more or less the same services for the same (high-for me) prices. But I probably am not alone and there are times when Moodle users like me could benefit from non-partner services that diverge from the partner model.

I think you have burned your bridges now. Good luck on staying afloat in the river.

by Steve Hyndman -

I'll say one thing for you...you are presistent in your "spin". The FUD you said I posted....tell me....what's FUD about it?

You continue to say that people can run a business "using Moodle". That has never been at issue. The issue is....people are prevented by your trademark enforcement from running a business supporting, hosting, etc., Moodle. You posted a link to my site saying I know better...tell me....where does it say on that site that I host or support Moodle? Are you telling me now that I can say Moodle on my site...isn't that what got us here in the first place? That's the issue...you can try to spin it and muddy the waters all you want, but you and I both know the issue.

Steve

by Darren Cooper -

Steve,
let's put a lid on this it really is not going anywhere other than round in downwards circles quite rapidly. There are always two sides to the arguement and I think we have heard enough of both to decide for ourselves what has lead to this unfortunate misunderstanding and how to prevent it in the future.

Thanks for pointing out those other sites misusing the trademerks without persimission or maybe they do have permission I'm sure someone at the Moodle HQ either knows about this or will follow that up.

Steve as you can see, I am not the only one who things this is the right place for you to be as part of this community. I still think it's a shame that such a trivial (in my eyes) issue has started this rather emotional landslide.
But I ask you to reconsider you stand, review you motives and get back to doing what you do best, which is obviously not what is happening here.

For the record, I have nothing to do with you nor with Moodle other than I admire both. These are observations from a very neutral observer who does not like what he is seeing.

Darren

In reply to Darren Cooper

by Steve Hyndman -

Daren,

You're right, this is going around in circles...thanks for the post. This is my last post in this thread.

I'll continue to use Moodle for my own purposes (although I'll no longer teach or advocate it to others like I have in the past) and I'll continue to "pay" for my personal use by contributing and helping others here in the forums when I can.

Signing off of this thread.....

Steve

by Frances Bell -
I agree that this thread has probably outlived its usefulness (but glad that these issues were raised).  I'd just like to record my appreciation of Steve's contributions to moodle.org forums and his presentation at UK Moodlemoot 2005. I met him socially there and enjoyed the experience.
Unfortunately, he won't be picking up this message as he is no longer enrolled.  I, for one, am very sorry that he is no longer on this course/forum.
It's quite a challenge for this community to sustain critical debate about the direction Moodle takes. Let's keep working at it.
In reply to Frances Bell

by Paul Nijbakker -

I also met Steve here on moodle.org and at the UK MoodleMoot 2005. He was an amiable guy. I am very sorry that the miscommunication that lies at the bottom of this whole issue caused him to become disappointed/vengeful. The way I understand it, Steve thought that as a prominent champion of Moodle and helpful member of the community he was entitled to special consideration and when he received the e-mail at the top of the thread he felt put in a place that he did not like. I understand, but do not condone his reaction. I hope that as a result of this regrettable affair, there will be clearer/more detailed instructions about the use of the Moodle trademark, so that we can avoid similar unpleasantness in the future.

Rgrds,
Paul.

In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by N Hansen -
True Paul, but note that the letter was not from Martin himself. Obviously Martin had one of his employees, who may not even have been aware of who Steve was, search for patent violators and send a form letter to them. That is perfectly normal. It's the best use of staff time rather than have Martin do it. If I had been in Steve's position, the fact that the letter wasn't signed by Martin would have been a big clue to me that Martin may not have been even aware that the letter had been sent to Martin. I agree that if he had emailed Martin directly to ask for a clarification, things might have turned out differently. But he chose his position early on by publicly getting angry at Martin for this and it seems he dug in and stayed with it.
In reply to N Hansen

by Tony Hursh -
We need to be careful to distinguish trademarks, copyrights, and patents. They're different things.

Trademark: you can't take GeneriCola, put it in a container labeled Coca Cola, and sell it.

Copyright: you can't take a Coca Cola commercial, hire a voice actor to overdub all mentions of Coca Cola with GeneriCola, then broadcast it, or take a Coca Cola magazine ad, photoshop in the GeneriCola logo, and print it.

Patent: The Coca Cola company claims to have invented the whole idea of cola, and tries to stop the makers of GeneriCola from producing cola drinks of any kind regardless of labeling (this one isn't actually true, of course).

Trademarks are supposed to protect consumers by assuring them that they're getting the genuine article, and protect companies from having their reputations damaged by others passing off substandard goods under the real company's name, copyrights are supposed to protect writers, artists, and musicians from having their creative works used without authorization, and patents are supposed to encourage inventors by granting them a monopoly on an entire field for a limited time. In practice, things don't always work out according to plan, but they're still different things with different intentions (and different rules for enforcement).

I'm not a lawyer, and don't even play one on the net, but that's my (probably naive) understanding of how it works.

Addendum: Adobe would probably be upset by my use of "photoshop" as a verb above, as that's one way to lose a trademark. smile Photoshop is a registered trademark of Adobe Systems, Inc., Coca Cola is a registered trademark of The Coca Cola Company, and I don't think GeneriCola actually exists, but I apologize to them if it does. smile smile smile
Average of ratings: Cool (1)
In reply to Tony Hursh

by Frances Bell -
Thanks Tony,
That is really helpful for comparisons with commercial products and companies but how does it work for OSS?
In reply to Frances Bell

by Michael Blake -
As the sender of the original email, let me clarify the position Moodle takes on this issue.

The word Moodle can be freely used in most contexts with one exception: it must not be used in promoting or selling Moodle commercial services.  Commercial services include activities such as Moodle hosting, consulting, support etc.  Generally only Moodle Partners are permitted to use the trademark to sell commercial services.

We don't have any problem with people using the word/trademark/logo in non-commercial contexts.

Simply stated, the restriction applies only if you are providing Moodle Services
AND charging fees for these services.
In reply to Michael Blake

by Marc Grober -
As I tried to work my way through this discussion (for a number of reasons, including what I might wish to do in future with Moodle) I came across this web site: http://teachers4schools.com/moodle/
These folks use a concatenated logo:
and sell commercial Moodle services (indeed, Chick hawked the same in the Moodle forums).
So can I do the same thing (with or without asking permission, with or without becoming a Moodle Partner)?
Did these folks receive a trademark letter and if so with what result and if not, why not?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Steve, I'll spell this out for you one more time then I won't be engaging in this very long disussion any further as it's going nowhere, so please read this carefully and maybe have a sleep on it.

Yes, I'm being completely consistent about this and have been for some years (see the Moodle license).

You are not being consistent. Please contrast the following:

1. You say on your blog "Can anyone suggest ways to build a business when you are prohibited from letting people know exactly what it is you do?"
  2. The answer is and always has been "Set up your business site so it doesn't use the Moodle trademark in an unapproved way". I know you know this because that's exactly what you (eventually) did to your site. It still explains what you do quite clearly.

So why are you *still* posting all over the internet about this issue? As you said above, following the trademark guidelines hasn't hurt your business at all, so what's your motivation?

I'll let the reader draw their own conclusion and retire from this discussion. I have Moodle 1.7 to get finished so that you can offer it to your hosting customers.
In reply to Robert Garza

by Don Schwartz -
"Lastly, here is something else that I have not asked for Moodle’s permission: to start a Moodle Users Group.  Here in Texas, we are spread far apart and trying to make more local Moodle connections would be very comforting.  I have started a beta version of the concept at www.TexasMoodle.org.  It is done in Drupal but with Moodle 1.6 out, it may be a better option. The goals of the user group are: (1)Promoting the use of Moodle in Texas, (2)Providing more local and regional hands-on support to Moodle Users of all levels, (3)Planning and having a Texas MoodleMoot and (4)Supporting Moodle.org. The last one would be donating any left over money from the Moot to Moodle.org. "

Rob, I asked Martin the exact same thing at the NE Moot and he was wildly in favor of user groups.  A few of us in New England plan on firing one up for the fall.  In speaking with Martin I did ask about making this part of Moodle.org but the farther I get from the Moot the more I think it makes sense for the group to be disconnected from Moodle itself.  Let's from our regionals and have a national meeting in 2007.  ds
In reply to Don Schwartz

by Robert Garza -

Don,

I figured there had to be someone else thinking of the idea.  But my concern and I am sure it is yours too - is fragmenting the current Moodle group.  I believe in the idea that "the more heads then the better the ideas" but I also know that every country, region, state, province and city has there own unique educational problems.

The idea of the Moodle group as a whole and at the same time separated into different user groups will be a delicate balance.   I think there needs to be a structure to the groups as a whole so that we all support each other and are able to interlink each other.  The prudent choice is to allow the Core Moodle Team to formulate a structure and to create a Moodle Users Group charter template with some basic rules.

There probably should be several things that would be common to all Moodle User Groups - logo concepts, support of Moodle.org, group naming (for instance I used TexasMoodle as the URL and I call the site TexMUG - those were off the top of my head) and other things so that is would be easy to find the local or regional group.  But like I said I am still working on a concept (what I have up took about 2 hours) because I never want any user group member to ever lose sight or connection to Moodle.org.

The other idea I had for a user group was to have a repository of courses or teaching objects that would be a teacher's exchange of Moodle materials.  It would give new Moodlers a jump start in building their courses, especially if they are in the same educational arena.  Another is that we would have regional and national awards for the best courses created in Moodle but that is far down the road.

So right now I will still continue, as my work and family allow me, to develop a possible concept.  And then submit the idea to the Moodle Help Desk.

If you are developing a concept too please forward me the address.

Lastly...a national meeting would be very cool.  I'll let the US Moodle Partners tackle that one.

Rob

In reply to Robert Garza

by A. T. Wyatt -
I would like to suggest that, particularly with regard to Texas, that we consider contacting TCEA and working together on this.  Since I know a board member very well, I would be happy to start a conversation.  Having a large group such as TCEA as a partner could be very helpful with regard to starting a repository of teacher courses, or awards, etc.

What do you think?

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Robert Garza -

Hey A.T.,

TCEA is exactly where all of this should start.  I was talking to another person, I believe his name is Ken Task, and he had written a charter/bylaws document for an Open Source SIG in TCEA.  He also has a web sight supporting open-source in Texas education (http://www.sosoftexas.org).  Check out the link to the SOS Portal.

Hope to see you at TCEA 2007.  I already have a booth for my little company which will be about 50 feet behind Apple Inc.  Considering the latest events, I should have picked the booth across the aisle from Blackboard and hired someone to taunt them.  It is not Moodle's style but it would be a bit fun.

I still might be presenting at TCEA, I was just informed that there was a mix up in one of the lists and that they do not have a place or time slot for me.  They are working on setting up a thin-client lab and asked if I could present there.  So it looks like I am almost there and hopefully I can introduce more people to Moodle.

If I knew for sure that we could have enough Moodlers show up to TCEA 2007 then we might be able to piggyback a Moot at the same time. But time is growing short and that might be a tremendous undertaking.

Rob

In reply to Don Schwartz

by Martin Dougiamas -
Note this is not related to this discussion about trademarks because a user group is not the sort of commercial service as you find on moodle.com.

It's more an extension of what you see here on moodle.org and the more of that the merrier!

No need to ask permission for such stuff!