Accessibility: Can I replace the arrow gifs as textual representations with css?

Accessibility: Can I replace the arrow gifs as textual representations with css?

by Samuli Karevaara -
Number of replies: 2
In 1.6 the arrows in the nav bar + calendar have been replaced with gifs, for screen reader browsers I guess. But for visual browsers it's a small step back as they sometimes look bad against some colors, they don't scale very well and I loose all of the a:hover effects...

Is there a way to change them back with CSS? Or do I need to go in to the code?

Is there a way to serve different CSS to screen readers and visual browsers? If there is, it would seem that it's easier to replace a <span id="nextarrow">&gt;</span> with a gif than it's to replace a gif with a >-character?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

Re: Accessibility: Can I replace the arrow gifs as textual representations with css?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yeah they can be pretty ugly, I'd like to see a solution here as well.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Accessibility: Can I replace the arrow gifs as textual representations with css?

by Nick Freear -
I have not been happy with the 'resizable' images for a while, and I think theme-developers have been hacking the breadcrumb trail.

Its taken a while, but I will soon have a patch to show on Jira soon,
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-6360

Please comment there. Yours Nick