New Module: Shelf

Shelf - Summary of Suggestions & Future Directions (Mar '04)

by A. Chavan -
Number of replies: 12

Here is a summary of the feedback we have received about Shelf on this forum and from users of the project for which we developed Shelf. Also included are our notes about each suggestion.

Add different icons for different filetypes

We have decided to implement this as it would improve Shelf's usability. We plan to add icons for DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF, GIF/JPG, and ZIP. Other filetypes will be displayed by the generic icon.

Ability to upload multiple file at one time

After some discussion we decided to implement this. The user will be able to select 10 or 20 files on a single form and upload all of them. The file-related information will still have to be entered manually. This feature will allow a user to start the upload multiple files and then go do something else.

Students can upload their own files

We decided against implementing this at this time. We felt that for our projeect limiting uploads to the moderator/teacher helps keep the shelf organized. Students/participators can upload files in other ways e.g. the online forum, and as an assignment. Based on our clients needs, we may re-evaluate this feature in the future.

Students have permissions for certain files

This feature would require some effort to develop so we decided not to pursue it at this time as we don't have a need for it at this moment.

Make shelf files searchable

This would be a useful feature but we don't need this for our project at this time. We don't plan to develop it right now but if someone else would like to take on the task, we would be happy to help. It would be useful to have as a configurable preference.

Use moodle's filestore

We wanted to keep Shelf separate from Moodle's filestore by design so that the two don't clash. However, a script to automate importing files from the Moodle filestore to Shelf might be useful for those that already use Moodle's filestore. This is not a feature we need for our current project so we don't intend to implement it at this time. Anyone interested in developing an import script?

Public/private shelves

We don't want to allow users to create private shelves as there is the possibilty of abuse. If this was to be implemented, we would also have to worry about quotas. We don't plan to use Shelf as a private respository.

Shelves more than one level deep

Our project specifically requried a shelf to be one level deep so we don't plan to implement this at this time. However, it would be a useful feature. If someone is interested in working on this please let me know.

We plan to release a new version of Shelf soon that includes the first two features mentioned in the above list.

In reply to A. Chavan

Re: Shelf - Summary of Suggestions & Future Directions (Mar '04)

by W Page -
Hello!

Two things,
  1. Were you able to figure out why Shelf categories were displaying in the gradebook column?
  2. Referring to a past post, do you think a mod which allowed site members to sign up with Plucker so that they could get site news from the Moodle site they are a member of when they "sync" their PDAs is doable for Moodle? Frankly I would like to eventually work on this but I have to tell you I find the Plucker site a bit confusing compared to AvantGo. I am going to check out the Plucker site again.
I wonder if shelf will eventually become a component or part of the coming MyDMS mod.
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=6109

BTW, I really enjoy getting the Planetizen Newsletter.

Shelf keeps getting better and better.

WP1

In reply to W Page

Conflict with gradebook column

by A. Chavan -
I was able to observe what you described but I could not figure out what caused it as I am unfamiliar with gradebook. Maybe someone who is more familiar with how gradebook works can point out what could cause this?
In reply to A. Chavan

Re: Conflict with gradebook column

by Gustav W Delius -

A module that does not produce grades should return NULL rather than an array in the function modulename_grades. So in your case you need:

function shelf_grades($shelfid) {
/// shelf does not generate grades
    return NULL;
}

in your lib.php file

In reply to Gustav W Delius

by W Page -
Hi Gustav,

• Where should the above code be placed in the "lib.php" file?
  • What section of code should be replaced with the above code?

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Gustav W Delius -
Hi WP1, I didn't see your question until right now. The code should replace the current code for that function in lib.php.
In reply to W Page

Moodle on a PDA

by A. Chavan -
The Plucker website has a lot of information. Try the instructions and screenshot I put up on the PLANetizen site. Note that Plucker only works with Palm-based PDAs.

I think the ability to sync certain Moodle pages or resources to your PDA could be useful. I don't know how difficult or easy that would be. For starters, one would have to worry about authentication. Is there anyone else out there interested in this? Should we start a separate thread?
In reply to A. Chavan

Re: Moodle on a PDA

by W Page -
Hi Abhijeet!

I would really like to see a Moodle PDA link, if not for the original Moodle site at least for other Moodle sites. It is nice to read the PDA during a long (or even short) train time. Especially if one does not have time to buy a newspaper in the morning. At least I am reading something I like.

Also, it is a way to get information out about the particular site. Maybe posting the possibility of this may garner more of a response in the General Developers forum.

What do you think about it?

WP1
In reply to W Page

by A. Chavan -
The MyDMS development is very exciting and I am following it with great interest. When a DMS becomes part of the Moodle core, Shelf may no longer be necessary.
In reply to A. Chavan

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
To be honest it does sound like you are replicating a lot of the Document Management System as well as the current File system ...
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Debasis Satapathy -
Hi Martin,
  New module Shelf is praiseworthy to replicate the DMS and it will confine Suggestions & Future directions.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by A. Chavan -
We developed Shelf to meet a specific project requirement in time for a project deadline. As discussions were already underway to develop a full-featured "documenent management system" (DMS) as an integral part of Moodle, we did not want to replicate that work. For our project, it was more a question of timing. The DMS wasn't ready for use within the time-frame of our project schedule. Developing Shelf as an independent module that did not modify Moodle's core helped us meet our requirements and deadlines.

As you can see from my previous post, we decided to make some interface refinements to Shelf but decided not to undertake any major reworking at this time. We will decide what to do next with Shelf depending on how Moodle's DMS features evolve.

The MyDMS integration effort looks very promising. It would meet our project requirements and more. Some of the potential features would be really cool and I am very excited about it.

In reply to A. Chavan

by Genner Cerna -
Having this module is great thing, what i like most is the public and private DMS.