Maintenance mode ?

Maintenance mode ?

by Hélène Bouley -
Number of replies: 17

I would like to know exactly how it works I can see that it creates a file maintenance.html in the site data root but is there some thing else ?

We want to use a cluster so it's very important to know exactly how it works.

another point :

The doc tells that it prevents users from login it doesn't seem to be right because the message appear just when we want to enter a course.

is it supposed to work like that or is it a bug?
thanks in advance
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hélène Bouley

Re: Maintenance mode ?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes it creates that file (or you can create it manually) and then the site will be in maintenance mode for as long as that file exists. The contents of the file (if there are any) are also used to print a message to students (about the downtime, usually).

Yes, it's only supposed to work when entering a course. The front of the site still functions normally.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by A. H. -
Dear Martin, Have you ever been stuck in maintenance mode?! I have moodle 1.6.1 and i want to disable maintenance mode. So i click "disable" then "continue", then back to the admin page and i still see the message "your site is in maintenance mode......" I login using a non admin account and the user still get the maintenance message. How can i fix this?I am stuck and i need to go back to the normal mode. thanx, amer
In reply to A. H.

by Peter Carr -

Dear Amer,

I've had the same issue.  Try deleting the "maintenance.htm" file.  On the "Administration" page go to "site files" in the Miscellaneous section.  You should se a file called "maintenance.htm" or something close to it.  Delete that file.  Hopefully it will work for you as well.

-Pete

In reply to Peter Carr

by Jas Sahota -

If you are stuck in Maintenance Mode – please read following:

Maintenance Mode

I have learnt that

When one Enables the Maintenance Mode, it creates a file called maintenance.html/htm in the site files' directory.

The site is in Maintenance Mode until that file exists

When one Disables the maintenance mode, the system deleted the file and moodle comes out of Maintenance Mode.

Stuck in Maintenance Mode

You can go to the site files or access Moodle Data folder and delete the file from folder “1”.  As an admin, I was able to access every thing myself, but uses were still stuck there.  It is a good idea to test it with other logins and access the courses.

If you are not able to delete or upload new files, than it is a side effect from Moodle data folders’ permissions issue.  The web server user should be the owner of the data folder not root or system admin etc., i.e. on Linux and apache web server, you should change mode to apache user (whatever name you have given it) to 700 (only apache user has full access)

Some thing like this

chown –R apache:apache  /full_moodle_data_folder_location_address

chmod –R 700 /full_moodle_data_folder_location_address

or

if using a desktop change them via folder properties. 

Thanks

Jas

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jas Sahota

by Kevin Yokota -

I just upgraded to Moodle 1.8 and am stuck in maintenance mode.  I ftp'ed to the website and did not see a "1" folder in the Moodle folder.  Where would the maintenance.htm file be in a 1.8 install?  Thanks

In reply to Jas Sahota

by N Hansen -
I deleted the maintenance.html file AND I am STILL stuck in maintenance mode. sad

Anyone know a solution for this?
In reply to N Hansen

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Are you sure you deleted the maintenance.html file in the moodledata folder for course 1? I checked the code it is all based on the existence of that file. Just to make sure I would check the config.php and see where the data for your installation is located and make sure you go to the 1 directory (for the frontpage - mdl_course.id=1, SITEID, etc.) and delete the maintenance.html file there. I confirmed this works on my test server with the latest version of 1.8. Best of luck - Anthony

by Ben Steeples -
Am I right in thinking then...

One could routinely put moodle into maintenance mode, by writing a script which placed maintenance.html into the /1/ folder and removed it when done?

by Don Bell -
Ok, I have put my system in maintenance mode, and have gone to another computer to check, and the site still shows it as not being in maint. mode. I have gone and the file is were it should be, set up correctly.

Could there be a problem with my installation?

http://education.universalfellowshipinchrist.org

Thanks,

Rev. Don Bell

by Doug McGlathery -
What happens when you put a site into maintenance mode while users are logged in? Is it safe to assume that users will be able to complete and submit forum posts etc? If so, will they be returned to the forum page after submitting a post or will they get the maintenance mode message immediately after submitting? Are users logged out of Moodle in this situation?

In the past I have waited until the site is quiet to turn on maintenance mode, but as the site gets more use, those quite times are harder to find. Any Suggestions?

by Glenn Murdoch -
It would be handy to be able to allow a particular role access to the site when it is in maintenance mode, how would I do that?

Thanks

Glenn

Stuck in Maintenance mode Moodle 2.4.1

by byron catechis -

Moodle version Moodle 2.4.1+
MOODLE_24_STABLE

Built Weekly

12 hours 24 mins ago

Unfortunately, I am stuck in maintainance mode, have just performed my first upgrade after having put the site into maintainance mode and am now stuck. Please advise how to gain access to my site again… much appreciated,

Byron
In reply to byron catechis

Re: Stuck in Maintenance mode Moodle 2.4.1

by byron catechis -

Sorted… had to leave the problem and get back to it logically… after a couple of hours break…

Logged onto server, changed the "moodle" file back to previous version, logged on as myself and disabled "maintainance mode".

Changed moodle file to latest (just updated) version, - maintainance mode no longer active.

Unfortunately, my password was no longer accepted, used "forgotten password" to validate and change password… all ok now… (so far…)

Thank you for listening to me, helped me get my thinking hat on…