Moodle course images issue

Moodle course images issue

by steve haviland -
Number of replies: 3

Hello all,

I am very new to moodle, and wanted to see what an installation looked like on my test server with some content in place.

First, I installed Moodle 1.5.3 successfully.  Next, I went to the moodle exchange and I picked the CPT1 Computing course by David Berry. 

Once I figured out how to load the course into my implementation of moodle, I noticed something bizarre.

Any time an image is presented in the couse, the URL is wrong. 

As an example, there is a picture of the Windows logo in this specific course called windows.JPG.  When I look at the path for the file that moodle is trying to call, it is :  http://thedomain/moodle/file.php/4/windows.JPG

So I was trying to figure out why it dropped in file.php in the images URL.  So I went into file.php and I see.

$relativepath = get_file_argument('file.php');

So I tried to look up the function get_file_argument() in the two files that are included into file.php.  I can't find it in either filelib.php or config.php.  I think I am on the right track, but dont know the software well enough to figure out exactly whats going on.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to steve haviland

Re: Moodle course images issue

by Dan Stowell -
The URL is not wrong! This is how Moodle lets browsers access files from the moodle data folder. "file.php" acts as a kind of "border guard", amking sure that people can only access the images (and other files) that they're authorised to access.
In reply to Dan Stowell

by steve haviland -
There is something wrong.  If file.php works in the way you describe, why is it not getting the proper path for the file?
In reply to steve haviland

by steve haviland -
The solution for this issue is that you must.. ABSOLUTELY MUST.. have the php_gd2.dll installed if your running on an IIS platform.  I also upgraded to moodle 1.6 and the latest versions for mysql and php.  However it was the extension addition of php_gd2.dll that made this work.