Flash module add-on: Flash Player Controls

Flash module add-on: Flash Player Controls

by Edward Goytia -
Number of replies: 8

I've looked around for an answer to this but haven't found the right combination that made sense to me. Does nay one know how to eanble some sort of progress, start, stop controls for playing .SWF files in Moodle? I've got videos /animations created by others that I want to embed and I'm simply using them as files in a course. Do they need to be encoded via an embed for the controls to pop up or is there a special combination of player and file that must be used? I'm not that familiar with Flash so I don't know whether something is missing in the files that can be easily created.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Edward Goytia

Re: Flash module add-on: Flash Player Controls

by Jamie Pratt -
When creating videos you can add controls in the same app that creates the video Captivate, camtasia and wink do this for example. When creating an animation in the Flash authoring environment then you can also add controls to the animation there.
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Laura Skelton -

Hi i have recently been having similar problems with the controls for a swf file displaying. I created these movies in camtasia making sure that the controls are already added. When i play this file locally on my computer the controls appear. However when i upload these files to the moodle site the controls are not there anymore.

I have tried to rectify this by creating the files as SCORM output. This html file does diplay the controls. The problem is that is always loofs for the LMS.

Can you help me with this as it is a little frustrating.

There is probably a really easy solution but i have not found it.

Cheers

In reply to Laura Skelton

by Jamie Pratt -
>>However when i upload these files to the moodle site the controls are not there anymore.

The only explanation I can think of for this is that the window size you are loading the movies into is not big enough and you have to scroll down a little to see the controls.

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Art Lader -
I wonder if the little swf file that creates the controls is somehow not being uploaded...

-- Art

Attachment controller.gif
In reply to Art Lader

by iolasus raj -

hello art...

how do i integrate flash mx with moodle? some guide would be very helpful... thanks.. sorry for the newbie question smile

cheers.. iolasus...

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Laura Skelton -

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for replying : )

I am creating the films as 600x400 so they easily fit within the window. It seems that when i upload the files there is not a proper connection between the swf file and the swf controller file. I think this must be something to do with the way camtasia creates the files.

I have been able to get round this by creating the files using the Legacy SWF output. The problem with this is that it only has basic player controls. I have emailed the camtasia support so hopefully they will be able to help me.

If you know how to link the two SWF files together please let me know.

Thanks

Laura : )

In reply to Laura Skelton

by Don Schwartz -
Laura,
Post is a few days old but if you still need help, here goes.
We do this all the time and I bet I know what is wrong.
edit: First.  In the moodle resource dialogue you must link to the html not the swf.  the swf does not have a controller built-in.
Your camtasia on the windows system is using windows naming conventions.  Your moodle/linux site doesn't like the spaces special or characters in the file names or improper case.  It will recognize the html of: File%20name_video.html
But the camtasia control html and xml files will not call an improperly named flash file.
Easy fix from beginning is to name all your vids lowercase with no spaces or special characters.
Post production fix before upload.
Rename your files the same as above then search and replace the file names in the html and the xml
Also.  Each Camtasia Flash comes with 4 files for a total of 5.  Since Moodle doesn't have batch upload I use ftp to get them into the course folder in /moodledate/(course ID)
** In reply to previous posts.  Embed is not needed for flash lessons as they are loaded within a non-moodle webpage, the camtasia html, which is then opened in a new window or frame within the moodle course.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Don Schwartz

by Joe Deegan -
Great tip even though you like the Red Sox : )  This solved my problem with Camtasia and Moodle.  Thanks.