Postgres development reminder

Postgres development reminder

by Jason Cole -
Number of replies: 9
This is a general plea to all Moodle developers hacking away on 1.6. Please don't forget the postgres users. I've turned up some very large discrepancies between the mysql definitions and the postgres definitions in the questions module and the database module (why have you abandoned us, Martin? Why?wink).

I'll post some of the differences to the bug tracker, but in general, when you change a database def, be sure to do it in both places!

Thanks

Jason
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Cole

Re: Postgres development reminder

by Jason Cole -
Also remember that when you are adding a column in mysql, postgres does not supoprt the ADD COLUMN.. AFTER syntax. So either add your new column to the end of the current table, or you'll need to write some very ugly sql to copy the data from the old table into a new table with the correct column order.
In reply to Jason Cole

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
People should *always* be using the table_column() function to modify or add fields - it should be taking care of this on both platforms.
In reply to Jason Cole

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Apologies for discrepencies in Database, Jason, it's not intentional I assure you because they look OK to me! smile

Yes, please file bug reports ... This is why we have these testing periods. Most developers don't use PostgreSQL at all, so we rely on those who do to test Moodle there.

Hopefully these will be a thing of the past in Moodle 1.7, which looks like it'll finally have the XML schema we've talked about for so long.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jun Yamog -
Hi,

I have been trying to look at this.  Please excuse the DDL statements as I am working with several tools and removing some of the noise its reporting to me.  Here is so far what I have found:

lesson_essay table does not seem to exist on mysql, in this case it looks be the other way around. Or maybe the intent was not to use lessay_essay table.  Anyone with better historical understanding of lesson module?

DROP TABLE mdl_lesson_essay;
-- lesson_essay table only exists on postgresql, was upgraded on 2004072100
-- missing on both mysql.sql and mysql.php

Table scorm and excercise_submissions is out of sync if its a fresh install, but will have no problem if its been upgraded.  So I guess I can file a bug report for the 2 tables?

ALTER TABLE mdl_scorm
    ADD COLUMN version character varying(9) DEFAULT ''::character varying NOT NULL;
-- properly added on postgres7.php version 2005041600, but not present on postgres7.sql

ALTER TABLE mdl_exercise_submissions
    ADD COLUMN late smallint DEFAULT 0::smallint NOT NULL;
-- properly added on postgres7.php version 2003121000, but not present on postgres7.sql

Question type rqp seems to be out of sync, but I am not sure how to go about this.  Maybe its in active development?

CREATE TABLE mdl_question_rqp_servers (
    typeid integer DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL,
    can_author smallint DEFAULT 0::smallint NOT NULL,
    can_render smallint DEFAULT 0::smallint NOT NULL,
    url character varying(255) DEFAULT ''::character varying NOT NULL,
    id serial NOT NULL
);

ALTER TABLE mdl_question_rqp_types
    DROP COLUMN cloning_server,
    DROP COLUMN flags,
    DROP COLUMN rendering_server;

I ignored the differences between mysql and postgresql in terms of column default values and not null constraints.  I also ignored for the differences in indexes.  I also ignored and removed any data type differences, hopefully I did not miss columns that where intentionally changed to a different data type.  Anyone else looking for differences with pgsql and mysql?

Jun
In reply to Jun Yamog

by Mark Nielsen -
Hi Jun,

Yes, the lesson_essay table should not exist smile  Since the only two references to this table exist in postgres7.php and .sql then I'll try to remove them as soon as possible.  Unfortunately, now I have time, but CVS is not responding mixed

Cheers,
Mark
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by Jun Yamog -
Thanks Mark.  I will include a drop table for lesson essay on my patch.

As for scorm.version it seems that it must exist but an upgrade script on postgres7.php was dropping it.  I think it was mistakenly thought to get the postgres upgrade cleanup.  It exists on mysql and was upgraded on mysql.php as of scorm 2005041600. Putting it back on my patch.
In reply to Jun Yamog

by Mark Nielsen -
I will include a drop table for lesson essay on my path.

Great!  It also needs to be removed from the postgres7.sql file.  Are you going to do that as well, or shall I do it when I can?

Cheers,
Mark
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by Jun Yamog -
Hi Mark,

I had removed it from the postgres7.sql file.  Thanks.

Jun
In reply to Jun Yamog

by Jun Yamog -
Hi,

If anyone is interested on how is the postgresql fixes is getting a long, you can see the fixes here.  Its pretty much done, just doing some more testing.

I would glady accept sanitized 1.5 stable pg dumps for testing.