Lions and Tigers and Wikis...OH MY!

Lions and Tigers and Wikis...OH MY!

by Julian Ridden -
Number of replies: 2
Am geting a little confused with all the wiki projects and posts I am reading in this forum.

I am looking at introducing Wiki's to my staff and students over the next term and am unsure of which to use. As I uderstand it, there are three...right?
  • standard moodle wiki
  • dfwiki
  • mediawiki
What I need to know is..what are the main differences between these? Why do we have three..can these somehow be merged?

With so many threads and posts I have been unable to track down a difinitive answer so thought I would pst here.

Many thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: Lions and Tigers and Wikis...OH MY!

by David Scotson -

Good question. And I note someone else is asking the same thing.

I have also been looking for some clarity on this so I could add some structure to the wiki-related content on the MoodleDocs wiki, which I think should also perhaps cover wiki theory/philosophy in general in case people are working with 3rd party wiki's (e.g. Wikipedia) or wiki tools outwith Moodle, as well as reducing duplication in documenting these areas when writing more specific documentation for both dfwiki, and the standard erfurt based wiki.

I can at least offer a part answer on MediaWiki, which is the software used to power both Wikipedia and the MoodleDocs projects. I would guess that it is not suitable for use within Moodle as a resource because it was never designed for that purpose, and a fair bit of wrangling would be needed to make it fit in with the rest of the Moodle code.

There's been a couple of questions about Mediawiki/Moodle integration in this forum but I think they are a bit of a red herring in this context. What has been done is simply to link the user authentication systems so that a) automated spammers will find it more difficult to deface the MoodleDocs wiki, since it is no longer a standard installation and b) Moodle.org users will not need a new username and password to contribute to the wiki. This is only appropriate if you are envisaging one large wiki for your entire Moodle site, which sits outside/alongside the Moodle installation. The other two wiki options are structured as Moodle activities, and so you can have multiple independant wikis within each Moodle course.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Scotson

Re: Lions and Tigers and Wikis...OH MY!

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Thank you David and Julian,
I was just wondering how I could get my MoodleWiki to look like MoodleDocs.

I see that I should maybe figure out if I want to use Efurk Wiki or df Wiki .

As an aside, I found it interesting that the MoodleDocs "Wiki" page had no reference to MoodleDocs . After posting a few pages in MoodleDocs over the last couple of weeks, I decided I better learn some more about Wiki. So of course I did a search on "Wiki", hit that page, followed links and moved around. Discovered my ignorance in page naming conventions and all sorts of other interesting stuff. But it took me over 10 minutes to wander to the page that told me I had been a jerk. blush

Atoned for my sins by making a contribution to "Wiki" so other newbies might get the hint quicker. Thanks again.