How to create an extra admin account?

How to create an extra admin account?

by James Neill -
Number of replies: 17
How do I create additional admin accounts or give existing users admin privelages?

(have searched forums with no luck)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Neill

Re: How to create an extra admin account?

by Greg Sutton -
Hi James,

Go into the Admin section, in there is the ability to Assign admins:

Regards,

Greg

In reply to Greg Sutton

by James Neill -
Thanks Greg - found it smile

Also found the following in the documentation:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Assign_admins
In reply to James Neill

by Chris Morgan -

Does anyone know if it's possible to restrict these extra admins to particular course categories. What I have in mind is giving a super-tutor the ability to administer courses in their curriculum area only.

Regards,

Chris Morgan

In reply to Chris Morgan

by Just H -
Hi Chris

As far as I can tell, no sad

I'm looing for something similar, to have creators but only for a given categorie rather than site wide. Think it's something slated for 1.7 or 2.0 (roles).

If I find anything new will keep you posted.

Regards
H
In reply to Chris Morgan

Extra Admin Accounts - ???

by x x -

Hi, just stumbled on this and I think it is the same question I am currently seeking an answer for.

I am (very) new to Moodle and am getting pressure to hand over administrator rights to others without proper investigation of the implications (against my better judgment).

If I can lock down to at least course categories or suchlike this would perhaps be a more manageable solution.  I do not wish to have everyone having full Administrator rights to the site but not sure what my alternatives are.

Can anyone give me a hand please?

Thanks

Jo

In reply to x x

Re: Extra Admin Accounts - ???

by vikas deoarshi -
of course we can give administrator rights to any person concerned in moodle 1.8 & 1.9
  • Administration
  • / Users
  • / Permissions
  • / Assign system roles
here you can assign any user to what ever role you want .
we can also give special privilege to any user within a course . In moodle 1.9 we can create a new role also based on the necessities

Vikas
In reply to x x

by John Isner -
Jo Jo,
Can you be more specific about what "rights" these people are pressuring you to give them?

You can give them ability to manage their own categories: determine the category structure (create, delete, and move subcategories), create and delete courses within the category, assign roles within the category, etc.). However if they want to be able to do things like upload new users, they need this permission in the System context. If you give them such permission in the category context, it is useless there because this is a System-level function. If you give it to them in the System context, they become co-equal to you.

The Capabilities documentation is not alway clear about which permissions are tested in System, but usually you will see something like...

"This capability is for administrators. It may only be applied as a system role."

In reply to John Isner

by x x -
I understand all that you have here John and I think that's the problem, they THINK they want full administrator rights but I know that's not the case.

I guess I was double checking my understanding of how Moodle worked before I opened my mouth and found I was spouting misinformation... have only been on this job and using Moodle for a month so am loathe to say too much until I am certain of my facts.

Thanks for the help!
Jo

In reply to Greg Sutton

by carlos pinto -
I am realy sorry, but i have been searching for the ASSIGN ADMIN
button, but can not find it!

Are we talking about 1.6?
In reply to carlos pinto

by Steve Power -

Carlos

This is under the heading Courses in the Administration screen. You get to this by clicking on the Admin... link at the bottom of the Administration block.

It is not restricted to 1.6 it has been there as long as I have been using Moodle.

Regards
Steve

In reply to Steve Power

by Red Morris -
Thank you! I'd been searching for this for about 30 frustrating minutes before I found your post. Why is it under Courses? Seems a very illogical place to a newbie
In reply to Red Morris

by Rob Rupp -
All I want to do is allow another user complete admin access to the site... I did the assign roles thing and it doesnt work, when they login all they can see is the course screen. I want to duplicate my admin account to give another user full access as well... Cannot find anything to do this, anywhere.

thanks!
Rob
In reply to Rob Rupp

by John Isner -
This discussion is pretty old, so here are up-to-date instructions for Moodle 1.7 and beyond.
  • Site administration -> Users -> Permissions -> Assign global roles
  • Click Administrator
  • Select a user in the "Potential users" box (see screenshot)
  • Click the left arrow to move the user into the "Existing users" box

Attachment assign_global_role_administrator.png
In reply to Rob Rupp

by Chris Lamb -

I haven't been working with 1.7 long enough to have tried adding extra admins, but in 1.5 only the Primary Administrator could add extra admins.  1.7 may allow admins to add others, but it might be worth bearing in mind if you're not logging in as your Primary Admin and you hit problems.

Also, in 1.5 you could only have one Primary Admin.  I don't know if 1.7+ allows more than one (I've got over two years experience with 1.5 but I'm still a bit of a newbie to 1.7!) but again it might be worth bearing in mind in case you find you can't quite do what you want to do.

HTH

Chris

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Lamb

by Dave Gait -

I was finding the same problem as Rob, with Moodle 1.8.2.

I could get full admin access using one set of login details, but when I tried to enable a second admininstrator using the route outlined, I didn't seem to succeed and was reading this forum (and got to enroll and start writing this reply) when I just thought I'd have another go. My experience may help:

I was using the admin access I have that works already, and had just been altering front page settings. From that page I opened users - permissions - assign global roles - administrator. The really important thing was that there was a warning box saying "Any roles you assign from this page will apply to the assigned users throughout the entire site..." and the next line said

Current context: Core system

Then there was the list of existing and potential users, and the left and right arrows, as pictured in earlier postings.

Anyway, from here it worked OK!

I know that earlier I'd been to several other places where I had the lists of existing and potential users under an Administrator heading, but I hadn't checked that I was in the "Core system" context... doh!