Addition of Whiteboard - Chat ? / Need Input

Addition of Whiteboard - Chat ? / Need Input

by W Page -
Number of replies: 24

Hello All!

I found a really neat program at SourceForge for Whiteboad - Chat. This program is very similar to the Whiteboard - Chat client in Blackboard ( http://blackboard.com ).

Babylon Java Chat

http://www.visopsys.org/andy/babylon/index.html

I just wanted to ask the MOODLE community to take a look at it and make some comments before I suggest that it be added to MOODLE 2.0 along with the chat room MOODLE presently has. Some people do not want to or cannot install Java therefore, as in BlackBoard it is good to have the option to use either.

This would allow students to work with each other on projects in a more "hands on" way although they are away from school.

Do the other Moodler's think this is a worthwhile tool for MOODLE?

Any and all responses appreciated.

WP1

Average of ratings: -
In reply to W Page

Re: Addition of Whiteboard - Chat ? / Need Input

by Gustav W Delius -

I would like to encourage you to go ahead and integrate the whiteboard with Moodle (probably as an activity module).

I don't think a Java whiteboard and chat server will ever be part of central Moodle. One one of the strengths of Moodle is its easy installation which would be lost. However another strength of Moodle is its extendability via modules and I am sure your whiteboard module would be welcome by many.

Please keep us informed about your experiences. When you get it to work, perhaps you could even allow us to log onto your Moodle so that we could try your whiteboard and chat there.

In reply to W Page

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The whiteboard I was intending to one day integrate into the current chat module was Drawboard ... this integration has already been done in ARSC (the chat program I started with to make the Moodle chat module). It's similar to Babylon, and also in Java.

As Gustav said, an alternate module would be great if someone wants to give it a go - options are always good!

Personally I don't like Java - it's huge, slow, fussy and I get some kind of headache every time I try to use it seriously in web pages. The first chat module I ever wrote for Moodle (a long time ago now) was in Java and looked like this. To me, things that need nice GUI interfaces are better done in Flash. I don't know if anyone's attempted an open source whiteboard in Flash yet but with the new Communications Server it's certainly possible (click Draw).  I can't see any technical reason why Flash couldn't talk to PHP instead of a Java or FlashComm server.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by W Page -

Hi!

Thanks for responding Gustav and Martin.  I checked out the links.  Drawboard looks really nice and less complex than Babylon.  WysIDraw is also pretty cool is a flash program and offers video and audio as well.

WysIDraw  would proberly be more useful because it uses flash.  I have found that a lot of webhosts do not like "Java" because of potential security problems.  I have not found the same resistence to "Flash".  Yet Java is used in "BlackBoard" which is a very secure program.  I do not know how they are able to secure it.  Maybe a MOODLE folk can explain it to us novices.  The WysIDraw price however is prohibitive to me.  Babylon and WysIDraw are free and open source.

I really like Babylon but, as I said it is hard to get a free online testing environment to check it out.  My pay host does not have JAVA presently.  It is promised after February when they finish some other server upgrades.

My programing skills are quite limited but I will play with Babylon (if I can set up a Java server situation.)  It will force me to learn more about Java and PHP (MOODLE end of it all).

I have "easyPHP" (http://easyphp.com) on the computer as a server.  Is there anyone in the MOODLE community who could tell me where I could get information as to how to add JAVA to this server.

Please continue to work on Drawboard and include it into MOODLE  as an option which can be turned on or off by the Administrator.  Sometimes a Teacher must show it and not only say it and/or write it out to a student.  Also when students are working collaboratively they need a way to show things to each other.

Thanks again in advance for any and all responses.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Ger Tielemans -

A server doing java on the serverside must be very tuned for it: if you get lots of users that will be a heavy load for the server. Maybe you should install Tomcat from Sun or JBoss?

http://www.jboss.org/index

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/

(I consider it, but hesitate, for the open source project of Minnesota portfolio: It could become the student showcase of the educational portfolio, while I think of Will's modified bookmarks as "the workers portfolio" inside Moodle. A tuned OWl could also fulfill these needs, maybe less heavy..)

https://www.theospi.org/portfolio/index.jsp

In reply to W Page

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Java has many flaws but security is not one of them (well in comparison with any comparable technology)

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Not quite sure I'm getting the discussion right. Shoot me if I'm not.

You mean something like this http://chxo.com/pWhiteboard/

In reply to koen roggemans

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The Whiteboards in question are ones that you can draw on with the mouse (realtime graphics, sketches etc).

slingshot.jpg  ping!  wink  tongueout

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Ok, I'll keep my eyes (or what's left of it) open dood
In reply to koen roggemans

by Chris Tebb -
I just tried the demo on the pWhiteboard page in mozilla, windows IE 6.0 and various mac browsers, it did not seem to work in anything.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? or the demo site is broken. Does anyone have an installation of it that works?

Chris,

by Mark Burnet -

I embedded Drawboard into a link on my new moodle site.  It seems to perfrom fairly well.  We will use it next summer with some remote Staff Development.

http://208.31.216.22/moodle/course/view.php?id=26

It e-mails saved board images or places them in the Course file folder.

In reply to Mark Burnet

by W Page -

Hi Mark!

Two questions,

1. How difficult was it to install "Drawboard"??
  2. Are you going to incorporate "Skype" into "Drawboard" to allow for audioconferencing when using the Drawboard.  I see Skype now supports conferencing.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Mark Burnet -

It's not a true integration,  What I did was an installation of drawboard in a moodle subdirectory and edited my apache init.d to launch the javascript in the backgound.  The only moodlizing was to create two resources in a course. The first was Teacher accessible link to the html code and therefore had the drawing tools,  The second was just the html page for a view screen.   It works and I imagine it as a drawing tool for kids, too.  You can email or save the png file created from the whiteboard.  You create a gallery of the screen images, or I do't know what else.

Pretty fun, too.  You can have multiple teacher access so an associate and I started scribbling all over like a couple of kids!big grin

It's only a test so far.  I've only tested Skype, but I am sure you could use the same technique (resource) to launch a local application.  I don't know enough about it's command line capabilities yet. 

Hey, we are having our first spring thunderstorm here,  about to loose power...  Thank goodness for generators.

by N Hansen -
Martin-Just looked at Drawboard today. I do hope you integrate this into Moodle. For teaching Egyptian hieroglyphs this would be great.
In reply to W Page

by Mark Hughes -

This is just a bit of thinking out loud -- and nothing that I think will work right out of the box...maybe it'll just jog someone's mind into thinking about the right thing to do for a whiteboard in chat.  Now it's outside of my capabilities and time to create, but I think we might be alright with PHP, JavaScript, and the GD graphics library; I was thinking this because I'm sensing a resistance to java.  And for now, I'm just talking about scribbling, although it could be appended to handle text, circles, lines, polygons etc... as there are many functions in the gd library.

We use a file to create a blank png or jpg image using the php and the gd library.  We call the picture in a file that auto-refreshes every 5 seconds or so.

When a user wants to add something, they click a button that gives control over the image to them (kind of a lock file).  (We don't really need this I suppose, but I think it'd be good)

Use that annoying javascript follow-my-cursor crap to lay down a temporary mousetrail over the users picture -- they won't be editing the picture at the time, it'll just look like they are -- so they can see what they've drawn -- when the mouse button is released, send the array of cursor positions to the file on the server. PHP opens the old picture, adds the new information over it, saves it, and then when the next refresh comes through on the first script -- it shows the new picture with the appended information. 

Maybe even lock that particular user out for a couple of seconds to give someone else a chance to get in. 

So in short, we'd be using php to open an old picture, draw a bunch of lines over it, and saving it.  We'd be using javascript to pretend to draw, and to send the array of cursor positions (which might not be as big as I think) to a php file.  Viewing the image would be a constantly refreshing iframe or something of that nature.

For your consideration.
Mark

In reply to Mark Hughes

by Martin Dougiamas -
I still think Flash would be the most cross-platform solution that allows "instant" drawing ...

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
What platforms is flash available for?
In reply to Marcus Green

by Andrea Bicciolo -

Flash Com Server is availbale for Windows and Red Hat Linux. From Macromedia Site:

Windows Server 2003*, Windows 2000 Server, Windows NT 4.0 Server (SP6 or later), Red Hat Linux 7.3, 8.0 or Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0*

In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

by Martin Dougiamas -
The Flash player works on practically everything:

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

I'm not suggesting we need to become dependent on the Flashcom server, I just meant the client-side.

The Flash applets can be generated on the fly, if necessary, from within PHP

http://php.net/ming

by W Page -
Hi!

Glad to see this discussion possibly picking up some steam.

Ming must be installed and enabled on the server. Also, it needs the following libraries,
  • libgif
  • libpng
  • libpng-devela

Ming - a SWF output library and PHP module
http://ming.sourceforge.net/

Check out
Sketchpad
http://www16.brinkster.com/gazb/ming/defaultframeset.asp?id=sketchpad

WP1

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Marcus Green -

Java is supported by a wider range of clients, a wider range of servers, and was designed more with this in mind than Flash. The origins of Java are as a general programming language whereas the origins of Flash are in animated vector graphics.

Flash is installed on more clients (i.e. more machines). I believe that the code for generating flash on the fly through PHP (e.g. Ming) is relativly new/immature though very interesting.

Any chat/whiteboard server is almost certain to require some kind of code running on the server which will exclude many people who are running moodle on shared hosts. On the other hand the hosting of chat/whiteboard servers could be a revenue opportunity for Moodle.com, i.e. you run your moodle/mysql wherever you want but pay to have a whiteboard/chat server on Casa Dougimas.

Whatever technology you use there is a chance that it will be blocked by firewalls/proxies which can be a particular problem with the Microsoft proxy/firewall that is frequently set to only authenticate if the client is MS IE. My point is that a whiteboard tool can be a bit of a nightmare to support. This is one of the reasons I like the Moodle chat so much because all you need is a browser that understands re-fresh, i.e. just about any browser.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Mark Hughes -
That's true...chat is relatively lightweight now...the more functionality we add, the more client/server/bandwidth intensive the whole proposition becomes -- in which case it makes sense to divert to dedicated chat software. I found that most of my students used AIM outside of moodle to talk with one another because they didn't like moodle version 1.1 chat.

So if we went for a spartan chat, what's the absolute minimum people are willing to live with in a moodle whiteboard?

Mark

P.S. of the option between flash and java, I think that I'd prefer a flash chat.
In reply to Mark Hughes

by lou Charrier MIS -

if you want to see a good example of a 'minimal whiteboard' for moodle ;

http://allayers.com/

NO java , NO Flash .. they have really utilized the functions available through GD2 , the GD2 graphics package is bundled with PHP 4.3 and can be retro-fitted to older php ... so: all moodles would be able to offer a 'whiteboard' without using  flash remoting or installing java server-side ....

using server-side GD graphics processing is the most universal way to offer a whiteboard solution while keeping code/data completly inside the moodle framework...

i am working on adding slideshow presentations , video-conferencing and GDpowered whiteboard  options to the chat module right now. Anyone interested in this can follow the thread :

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=8915

I will post updates as i go ...

LouCharrierMIS@go.com

In reply to W Page

by W Page -
Hello All!

I hope that as time goes by, (especially when v2.0 arrives) that several chat options are made available with
Moodle. Baseline - all must be Moodlelized and able to provide chat transcripts. These choices would determine what configurations are needed to run them along with the number of proposed users. Some may be able to be run on the same server as Moodle, some may need dedicated servers. Who knows what new technology or coding may be avaiable a month two months, or three months from now etcetera?

This would allow for chat customization and should be determinined from the admin config panel. Also, some admins may want their sub-admins, instructors and even students to determine the type of chat they want from a list of choices - Regular, Voice, Video, DrawBoard. Adminis could also choose JAVA, Flash or PHP chat solutions depending on their situation and needs. Admins and possibly instructors choose who would have access to what type of chat based on the configuration of their
Moodle.

Different situations call for different chat needs. If different types of chat can be "
moded" and installed with databases specific to them (no overlap), it would allow Admins/Instructors to have more flexibility in what they want in chat at different times. As I noted above this could also be extended to students, if desired, all the time or for certain types of educational work or projects.

If all these different chats would take Moodle a bit heavy to install then they could be added after the initial
Moodle installation and selected from a "Chat" repository.

Just some thoughts.

WP1