Pupils to submit questions for each other.

Pupils to submit questions for each other.

by Vinny Stocker -
Number of replies: 14
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

This has popped up a few times in the forum but i can't find a decent solution.

I would like pupils to be able to write and submit questions for each other to try on the quiz module. I tried to use an excel template and mail merge to a text file but it is not ideal. Some people have tried using a form to collect the questions from students.

Any ideas people? has anyone had success trying to do this? (or am I missing something- I'm prety sure this function is not built into the module!!)

Vinny

from Kent, England on a sunny spring morning...........

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vinny Stocker

Re: Pupils to submit questions for each other.

by Art Lader -
Hi, Vinny,

Could you have them write their questions in a text file in the aiken format or the Gift format and import them?

Just a thought.

-- Art

Importing "Aiken" format files

The Aiken format is a very simple way of creating multiple choice questions using a clear human-readable format. Here is an example of the format:

What is the correct answer to this question?
A. Is it this one?
B. Maybe this answer?
C. Possibly this one?
D. Must be this one!
ANSWER: D

Which LMS has the most quiz import formats?
A) Moodle
B) ATutor
C) Claroline
D) Blackboard
E) WebCT
F) Ilias
ANSWER: A

The question must be all on one line.

Each answer must start with a single-letter character, followed by a period '.' or a bracket ')', then a space.

The answer line must immediately follow, starting with "ANSWER:" and then giving the appropriate letter.

In reply to Art Lader

by Vinny Stocker -

Good idea. If I use a wiki page then lots of pupils could contribute at different times.

It would be good to be able to completely automate the process though.

Cheers 

by Art Lader -
It would be good to be able to completely automate the process though.

Yes, that would be great.

You know, you could probably teach them to use Hot Potatoes in a very basic, simple in just a few minutes. That might be a quick, easy way to go.

-- Art

by Gustav W Delius -
The quiz module does not allow students to create or edit questions. However it would be easy to write a new module that does. The module would create one question category for each student and would allow the student to use the standard Moodle question editing interface to add questions to this category, to preview them and to edit them. The advantage of this over the text file idea that Art mentions is that students could actually test their own questions and fix problems. All that would then be left for the teacher to do would be to create quizzes from the student's questions, perhaps by pulling one random question from each student's category.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Art Lader -
Man, Gustav,

That would be a wonderful addiditon to the quiz mod.

I would love to see it!

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Vinny Stocker -

Ditto - plus I feel that would support Moodle's philosophy of collaborative learning; pupils actively contributing to their own assesment questions is an exciting concept.

Vinny 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Art Lader

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I too would enjoy seeing this feature. I have done something similar as an assignment to my students when I was a new teacher. Basically I let them help me to write their test. It worked very well. Should this be a feature request.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Art Lader -
Should this be a feature request.

Yes, I think so!

-- Art
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Gustav W Delius -
Anthony, I too had done something like this and felt it was potentially a very good pedagogical tool, if only it hadn't been so time-consuming to get the student's questions into the system.

Now, with the new Moodle 1.6 question engine code, it should be really easy to implement it. I will have a go at it tonight. I will implement it as an assignment plugin. That will have the advantage that a) I don't have to code so much because the assignment module provides most of the infrastructure and b) Teachers can make comments and give marks for the student's submissions.

More about this tonight.

by Dennis Daniels -
Gustav! Hi! Did you have any joy with the pupil question module? I learned via another moodler that you might already have something in the pipeline addressing my suggestion re the same idea:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=46084

Please, Gustav! Tell me (us) it's in the works! smile

best regards
Dennis

In reply to Dennis Daniels

by Gustav W Delius -
It is in the works but I can't tell you when it will get around to finishing it.

by Dennis Daniels -
I'm using 1.7 Dev. If you want someone to help out with the testing of the latest/greatest, I'd be happy to help!

best
Dennis

by Vinny Stocker -

a few more random thoughts...................

pupils submit their own questions that may be automatically added or held for approval checking by the teacher

random test generator that pulls from the course question database a number of questions based on key words found in the questions

how about an option for pupils to choose the difficulty of the questions they submit/try -easy -medium -hard

assesment for learning - using wrong answers to inform teaching/learning using the feedback option to create a report of areas the pupil needs to focus on

vinny

by Ulrike Montgomery -
Gustav,
This would be fantastic. At my school we use more advanced students as peer tutors. They usually write quiz questions in the GIFT format which I then import into a quiz.
Have students preview and edit their own questions would be a great learning effect.
I'm looking forward to the new module smile,

Ulrike