The Tale of the Pretty Good Teacher: A Moodle Story

The Tale of the Pretty Good Teacher: A Moodle Story

by Art Lader -
Number of replies: 35
Please help me finish this story and to improve it. It is the roughest of rough drafts, but I have been thinking that we might collaborate to make it truly useful. And of course, it is just a beginning. Anyway, please feel free to jump right in.

BTW, I want to use it for staff development in the fall. (Apologies to the authors of The One Minute Manager)

Once upon a time, there was a Pretty Good Teacher. Her students and her peers recognized that she was a Pretty Good Teacher. She was not arrogant, in fact, she was humble, but she, too, felt that she was a Pretty Good Teacher and she was proud to be one.

Like all good teachers, though, she wanted to be an even better teacher.

She spoke with colleagues and they gave her many helpful tips (although she suspected that some of them were holding back a little).

She talked to her students, and their insights were often quite interesting.

She went to her principal, who had some good advice for her. Really, he did.

She read books and journals and found that they had much to offer.

She learned a great deal about effective teaching.

She began to take multiple intelligences into account in her lesson plans.

She started using cooperative learning in her classroom.

She integrated more project-based learning into her instruction.

She began to do all sorts of things that effective teachers do.

She even started using an LCD projector.

Sometimes, it was a bit overwhelming. Exhausting, in fact. Not everything worked out the way she intended. But she perservered, because she wanted her students to learn as much as possible.

Still, she felt that something was missing. She wanted to do things with her students that she had never been able to do before.

But she couldn't say what those things were.

One day, she read an article in her local newspaper about Mr. Dougis, a teacher who was doing great things on the Internet with his students. It sounded exciting and she wondered if this were not what she had been looking for.

She knew the school where he taught, and she left him a telephone message. Would he mind her dropping by one day to chat?

The next day, she received an answer. She could drop by any Thursday to see what was up. But it had to be a Thursday.

She went to her principal and explained to him that she needed a substitute teacher for next Thursday. She told him why and he gladly gave her a day of professional leave to go investigate. Really, he did.

She went to see Mr. Dougis. He greeted her with a friendly smile.

Welcome, he said, and smiled. It's good that you came today. Thursdays, we Moodle.

The Pretty Good Teacher looked around. There were about twenty-five seventh-grade social studies students sitting at computers. Most did not notice her, because they were engrossed in what they were doing.

What are they working on?, she asked.

Well, said Mr. Dougis, A couple of things. Some of them are working together to create a glossary of terms used in the current events articles we read each week.

They know how to do that?,
she asked. She thought that creating an online glossary must be a bit complicated for seventh-graders.

Sure, said Mr. Dougis. It's not hard to do that in Moodle.

Oh yes, she said, I read about Moodle in the newspaper artcle. What is it?

It's the software we use in our virtual classroom, he said, and guided her to a monitor.

See how the students are simply filling in a form to create entries in the glossary?, he asked? That's Moodle.

It did not look like the students were having any trouble.

And some of the other students, he said, are having an online debate about what the Founding Fathers would have thought about the current war on terrorism.

How do you have an online debate?, she asked.

They are using a discussion forum to talk with each other and are even rating each others' posts according to criteria we developed togther, he said.

Can they really handle that at such a yound age?, she asked.

Some are still learning about how to deal with constructive criticism, he relpied. But we are getting there. With a little guidance and encouragement...

No, I mean the technology, she interrupted.

Of course! replied Mr. Dougis. In Moodle, forums are easy to use.

And throughout the day, that is how it went. Moodle this and Moodle that. But the Pretty Good Teacher had to admit that even the sixth-graders seemed to be proficient Moodlers. And almost all the students seemed engaged and interested in their work.

She was impressed, but wondered if all were really as it seemed.

During Mr. Dougis' planning period, they talked over a cup of coffee.

Tell me more about Moodle, she said.

Well, he began, I use Moodle to compliment and enhance my classroom instruction. I might, for example, just upload a Power Point presentation to the site for my students to review or post links to a good web site. Or we might do something more social, more collaborative, as you saw today.

So, Moodle helps you do some things differently?, she asked.

Not just different, he corrected, better.

How so? She really wanted to know.

Let's say, said Mr. Dougis, that we are discussing the effects of global warming. I can send my students to the library to do traditional research and we can discuss what they find out in class. And I can have the students make posters to display what they have learned. We can break into groups create lists of top ten easy ways to fight global warming.
And we can have a debate in class about th effects of global warming, too.

That sounds fine, said the Pretty Good Teacher. What is wrong with that?

There is nothing wrong with that,
replied Mr. Dougis, but we can, for example, also go to Moodle and create a survey about global warming to administer to students here at our school and to students at our online partner schools in Canada and South Africa and see to what extent we all agree on the issue. We can design the survey togther, invite our partners to take it, and have a discussion with them about where we see eye to eye and where we don't. And that is potentially a rich, valuable educational experience that we could not have without Moodle, don't you agree?

The Pretty Good Teacher did agree. She wanted this Moodle thing for her students.

Mr. Dougis showed her how to go to any one of several sites and set up a Moodle classroom. That weekend, the Pretty Good Teacher started learning the basics of Moodle.

By the next Friday, she and her students were in the school computer lab. She showed them how to use a discussion forum and urged the students to discuss the novel they were currently reading.

Some students had a good bit to say about it. Others had very little to say. Some comments were insightful. Others were quite foolish.

The Pretty Good Teacher was disappointed. Was Moodle not reall all Mr. Dougis had said?

A few days later, she tried again. She set up a chat room and told the students to chat about anything, but to pretend they were characters from the novel. A few students did a really good job, but many students did not seem to take the assignment seriously. And the chat room became very confusing when everyone spoke at the same time. Frankly, the lesson was a flop.

Now, the Pretty Good Teacher was sure that Moodle was not as wonderful as Mr. Dougis seemed to think it was. Annoyed, she sent him an email, telling him so.

She received a quick reply. You sound upset, wrote Mr. Dougis.

The Pretty Good Teacher clicked on Reply to compose her message. I am upset, replied the Pretty Good Teacher. I am not so sure that Moodle is right for my students.

An exchange of emails ensued.

Maybe,
he responded. But let me ask you this: Did your students do what you asked them to do?

What do you mean?
asked the Pretty Good Teacher.

Well, when you asked them to discuss the novel in the forum, did they do that?, he asked.

Yes, I suppose most of them did, she replied.

And when you asked them to chat about the novel, he continued, did they do that?

The majority of them did, yes, she answered.

So, why are you unhappy?, asked Mr. Dougis.

It was a good question.

Well, she wrote, the students did not seem very excited about the lessons and I am not sure that they learned much, either.

Does that ever happen in your traditional classroom?, asked Mr. Dougis.

Now she was offended. Almost never, came her indignant response.

Why not? asked Mr. Dougis.

She thought about that. Normally, her lessons had something like a beginning, a middle and an end. They were well thought out and the students understood just what she expected of them. So that is what she wrote in her response to Mr. Dougis' question.

Can you say the same of your two Moodle lessons?, he wrote back.

She knew he was right. She had expected Moodle to work some sort of magic on her students, but she had not really designed the kind of good, effective lessons she normally planned.

She decided to give Moodle another chance.

This time, she asked herself, What is is I want my students to learn? And she wrote down her objectives.

Then she asked herself, What resources will we need to make the lesson work? and she collected and organized her resources.

And then she asked herself, What is it I want my students to actually do in order to be successful? And she designed her activities.

The Pretty Good Teacher wanted her students to recognize and identify the importance of conflict in the novel.

She located a couple of good online resources to give students the information they needed to do this and she posted her own notes to help them understand what they found on the web sites.

And she wanted them to create a web page for each major conflict in the novel, describing the conflict and suggesting several possible ways the conflict could be resolved. The she set up a wiki where her students could do this.

Before going to the lab, she discussed the lesson with her students and showed them how to work in a wiki. She used her cool, new LCD projector for that.

She posted clear instructions about the lesson to the web site, reinforcing what she had said in class.

The next day, they went to the lab.

The Pretty Good Teacher was thrilled to see how much better the lesson went. While the students did have a little trouble the first few minutes getting used to the wiki, they actually caught on very quickly, and it was a pleasure to see how they helped each other get up and running.

After about forty-five minutes, almost all students had contributed to the wiki. Some of their web pages were surpisingly good.

As the Pretty Good Teacher circulated around the lab, she encouraged the students and complimented their work. Of course, she also had to remind a couple of students that playing card games on the computer was not part of the lesson.

While she could not say that the lesson was perfect, the Pretty Good Teacher was happy. The students had not only learned a lot, they seemed to enjoy doing so.

That evening, she went back to the wiki to reread some of the pages. She was surprised to see that some students had continued to work on their pages from home...

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Art Lader

Re: The Tale of the Pretty Good Teacher: A Moodle Story

by Art Lader -
That evening, she went back to the wiki to reread some of the pages. She was surprised to see that some students had continued to work on their pages from home. They had added graphics and links and some shocking, but enthusiastic, text formatting.

When class met the next day, several of the students were quite excited about Moodle. One said, When my father asked me what we had done in school, I showed him the wiki. He thought it was great! It was obvious that she was proud of the work she and her classmates had done.

The Pretty Good Teacher was feeling pretty good.

Can we go back tot he lab today? one student asked.

No, she replied, not today, but we can go back tomorrow. Do you all want to do that?

When they said yes, she was not surprised.

In the meantime, maybe we should think of a name for our online classroom.

They thought of several good posibilities and decided to vote to pick the best one. The Pretty Good Teacher said, We do not have to vote right now. I will post a choice to our new web site and you can take a few days to decide.

Almost everyone agreed that this was a sensibe idea. But a couple of students looked unhappy about it.

What's wrong? the Pretty Good Teacher asked one of them as the class was leaving.

We don't have the Internet at my house, so I can't vote, said the student...
In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -
The Pretty Good Teacher hadn't thought of that. But she had an Internet connection in her classrrom. And there were quite a few online computers in the school's media center.

Why don't you stop be here right after school and use our computer when you want to Moodle? she suggested.

The student smiled. Thanks! I will, she said, and headed to her next class....
In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -
Why don't you stop be here right after school and use our computer when you want to Moodle? she suggested.

And so it went. Over time, Moodle cam to be an important part of the class. Soon, the Pretty Good Teacher wa posting lesson plans to Moodle. After a while, she began setting up little practice quizzes to help students prepare for tests. Together with another class, the students collaborated on articles for the school newspaper. They submitted rough drafts of papers for peer review and discussed class matters online. Some students even used the chat room for occasional online study sessions. And so on.

Afte a few months, Moodling became second nature to them. It felt natural.

And other teachers at the school began to Moodle. Sometimes, they met with their laptops at a local cafe for "Moodle and Coffee" sessions.

One day, the Pretty Good Teacher ran into Mr. Dougis at the grocery store. She told him how well things were going. And she thanked him for Moodle.

Glad to do it, he said, and smiled. You know, it sounds like you have become a Very Good Teacher.
In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -
Okay, it is corny and trite and a very rough draft. Please feel free to make it better! -- Art

Once upon a time, there was a Pretty Good Teacher. Her students and her peers recognized that she was a Pretty Good Teacher. She was not arrogant, in fact, she was humble, but she, too, felt that she was a Pretty Good Teacher and she was proud to be one.

Like all good teachers, though, she wanted to be an even better teacher.

She spoke with colleagues and they gave her many helpful tips (although she suspected that some of them were holding back a little).

She talked to her students, and their insights were often quite interesting.

She went to her principal, who had some good advice for her. Really, he did.

She read books and journals and found that they had much to offer.

She learned a great deal about effective teaching.

She began to take multiple intelligences into account in her lesson plans.

She started using cooperative learning in her classroom.

She integrated more project-based learning into her instruction.

She began to do all sorts of things that effective teachers do.

She even started using an LCD projector.

Sometimes, it was a bit overwhelming. Exhausting, in fact. Not everything worked out the way she intended. But she perservered, because she wanted her students to learn as much as possible.

Still, she felt that something was missing. She wanted to do things with her students that she had never been able to do before.

But she couldn't say what those things were.

One day, she read an article in her local newspaper about Mr. Dougis, a teacher who was doing great things on the Internet with his students. It sounded exciting and she wondered if this were not what she had been looking for.

She knew the school where he taught, and she left him a telephone message. Would he mind her dropping by one day to chat?

The next day, she received an answer. She could drop by any Thursday to see what was up. But it had to be a Thursday.

She went to her principal and explained to him that she needed a substitute teacher for next Thursday. She told him why and he gladly gave her a day of professional leave to go investigate. Really, he did.

She went to see Mr. Dougis. He greeted her with a friendly smile.

Welcome, he said, and smiled. It's good that you came today. Thursdays, we Moodle.

The Pretty Good Teacher looked around. There were about twenty-five seventh-grade social studies students sitting at computers. Most did not notice her, because they were engrossed in what they were doing.

What are they working on? she asked.

Well, said Mr. Dougis, A couple of things. Some of them are working together to create a glossary of terms used in the current events articles we read each week.

They know how to do that?
she asked. She thought that creating an online glossary must be a bit complicated for seventh-graders.

Sure, said Mr. Dougis. It's not hard to do that in Moodle.

Oh yes, she said, I read about Moodle in the newspaper artcle. What is it?

It's the software we use in our virtual classroom, he said, and guided her to a monitor.

See how the students are simply filling in a form to create entries in the glossary? he asked? That's Moodle.

It did not look like the students were having any trouble.

And some of the other students, he said, are having an online debate about what the Founding Fathers would have thought about the current war on terrorism.

How do you have an online debate? she asked.

They are using a discussion forum to talk with each other and are even rating each others' posts according to criteria we developed togther, he said.

Can they really handle that at such a yound age? she asked.

Some are still learning about how to deal with constructive criticism, he relpied. But we are getting there. With a little guidance and encouragement...

No, I mean the technology, she interrupted.

Of course!  replied Mr. Dougis. In Moodle, forums are easy to use.

And throughout the day, that is how it went. Moodle this and Moodle that. But the Pretty Good Teacher had to admit that even the sixth-graders seemed to be proficient Moodlers. And almost all the students seemed engaged and interested in their work.

She was impressed, but wondered if all were really as it seemed.

During Mr. Dougis' planning period, they talked over a cup of coffee.

Tell me more about Moodle, she said.

Well, he began, I use Moodle to compliment and enhance my classroom instruction. I might, for example, just upload a Power Point presentation to the site for my students to review or post links to a good web site. Or we might do something more social, more collaborative, as you saw today.

So, Moodle helps you do some things differently? she asked.

Not just different, he corrected, better.

How so? She really wanted to know.

Let's say, said Mr. Dougis, that we are discussing the effects of global warming. I can send my students to the library to do traditional research and we can discuss what they find out in class. And I can have the students make posters to display what they have learned. We can break into groups create lists of top ten easy ways to fight global warming. And we can have a debate in class about th effects of global warming, too.

That sounds fine, said the Pretty Good Teacher. What is wrong with that?

There is nothing wrong with that,
replied Mr. Dougis, but we can, for example, also go to Moodle and create a survey about global warming to administer to students here at our school and to students at our online partner schools in Canada and South Africa and see to what extent we all agree on the issue. We can design the survey togther, invite our partners to take it, and have a discussion with them about where we see eye to eye and where we don't. And that is potentially a rich, valuable educational experience that we could not have without Moodle, don't you agree?

The Pretty Good Teacher did agree. She wanted this Moodle thing for her students.

Mr. Dougis showed her how to go to any one of several sites and set up a Moodle classroom. That weekend, the Pretty Good Teacher started learning the basics of Moodle.

By the next Friday, she and her students were in the school computer lab. She showed them how to use a discussion forum and urged the students to discuss the novel they were currently reading.

Some students had a good bit to say about it. Others had very little to say. Some comments were insightful. Others were quite foolish.

The Pretty Good Teacher was disappointed. Was Moodle not reall all Mr. Dougis had said?

A few days later, she tried again. She set up a chat room and told the students to chat about anything, but to pretend they were characters from the novel. A few students did a really good job, but many students did not seem to take the assignment seriously. And the chat room became very confusing when everyone spoke at the same time. Frankly, the lesson was a flop.

Now, the Pretty Good Teacher was sure that Moodle was not as wonderful as Mr. Dougis seemed to think it was. Annoyed, she sent him an email, telling him so.

She received a quick reply. You sound upset, wrote Mr. Dougis.

The Pretty Good Teacher clicked on Reply to compose her message. I am upset, replied the Pretty Good Teacher. I am not so sure that Moodle is right for my students.

An exchange of emails ensued.

Maybe,
he responded. But let me ask you this: Did your students do what you asked them to do?

What do you mean?
asked the Pretty Good Teacher.

Well, when you asked them to discuss the novel in the forum, did they do that? he asked.

Yes, I suppose most of them did, she replied.

And when you asked them to chat about the novel, he continued, did they do that?

The majority of them did, yes, she answered.

So, why are you unhappy? asked Mr. Dougis.

It was a good question.

Well, she wrote, the students did not seem very excited about the lessons and I am not sure that they learned much, either.

Does that ever happen in your traditional classroom?, asked Mr. Dougis.

Now she was offended. Almost never, came her indignant response.

Why not? asked Mr. Dougis.

She thought about that. Normally, her lessons had something like a beginning, a middle and an end. They were well thought out and the students understood just what she expected of them. So that is what she wrote in her response to Mr. Dougis' question.

Can you say the same of your two Moodle lessons?, he wrote back.

She knew he was right. She had expected Moodle to work some sort of magic on her students, but she had not really designed the kind of good, effective lessons she normally planned.

She decided to give Moodle another chance.

This time, she asked herself, What is is I want my students to learn? And she wrote down her objectives.

Then she asked herself, What resources will we need to make the lesson work? and she collected and organized her resources.

And then she asked herself, What is it I want my students to actually do in order to be successful? And she designed her activities.

The Pretty Good Teacher wanted her students to recognize and identify the importance of conflict in the novel.

She located a couple of good online resources to give students the information they needed to do this and she posted her own notes to help them understand what they found on the web sites.

And she wanted them to create a web page for each major conflict in the novel, describing the conflict and suggesting several possible ways the conflict could be resolved. The she set up a wiki where her students could do this.

Before going to the lab, she discussed the lesson with her students and showed them how to work in a wiki. She used her cool, new LCD projector for that.

She posted clear instructions about the lesson to the web site, reinforcing what she had said in class.

The next day, they went to the lab.

The Pretty Good Teacher was thrilled to see how much better the lesson went. While the students did have a little trouble the first few minutes getting used to the wiki, they actually caught on very quickly, and it was a pleasure to see how they helped each other get up and running.

After about forty-five minutes, almost all students had contributed to the wiki. Some of their web pages were surpisingly good.

As the Pretty Good Teacher circulated around the lab, she encouraged the students and complimented their work. Of course, she also had to remind a couple of students that playing card games on the computer was not part of the lesson.

While she could not say that the lesson was perfect, the Pretty Good Teacher was happy. The students had not only learned a lot, they seemed to enjoy doing so.

That evening, she went back to the wiki to reread some of the pages. She was surprised to see that some students had continued to work on their pages from home. They had added graphics and links and some shocking, but enthusiastic, text formatting.

When class met the next day, several of the students were quite excited about Moodle. One said, When my father asked me what we had done in school, I showed him the wiki. He thought it was great! It was obvious that she was proud of the work she and her classmates had done.

The Pretty Good Teacher was feeling pretty good.

Can we go back tot he lab today? one student asked.

No, she replied, not today, but we can go back tomorrow. Do you all want to do that?

When they said yes, she was not surprised.

In the meantime, maybe we should think of a name for our online classroom.

They thought of several good posibilities and decided to vote to pick the best one. The Pretty Good Teacher said, We do not have to vote right now. I will post a choice to our new web site and you can take a few days to decide.

Almost everyone agreed that this was a sensibe idea. But a couple of students looked unhappy about it.

What's wrong? the Pretty Good Teacher asked one of them as the class was leaving.

We don't have the Internet at my house, so I can't vote, said the student.

The Pretty Good Teacher hadn't thought of that. But she had an Internet connection in her classrrom. And there were quite a few online computers in the school's media center.

The student smiled. Thanks! I will, she said, and headed to her next class.

And so it went. Over time, Moodle cam to be an important part of the class. Soon, the Pretty Good Teacher wa posting lesson plans to Moodle. After a while, she began setting up little practice quizzes to help students prepare for tests. Together with another class, the students collaborated on articles for the school newspaper. They submitted rough drafts of papers for peer review and discussed class matters online. Some students even used the chat room for occasional online study sessions. And so on.

Afte a few months, Moodling became second nature to them. It felt natural.

And other teachers at the school began to Moodle. Sometimes, they met with their laptops at a local cafe for "Moodle and Coffee" sessions.

One day, the Pretty Good Teacher ran into Mr. Dougis at the grocery store. She told him how well things were going. And she thanked him for Moodle.

Glad to do it, he said, and smiled. You know, it sounds like you have become a Very Good Teacher.

In reply to Art Lader

by Bryan Williams -
Good show Art! Can't wait until we have a Blog in Moodle so those of us that just can't leave our imagination alone will have a place for it to roam.
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Art Lader -
Thanks, Bryan. smile

Please feel to tweak the story in the wiki to improve it: http://docs.moodle.org/en/The_Good_Teacher

I am hoping that it will somehow be useful for staff development.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Great story Art!
I liked very much the part when moodle starts to work for her with a Wiki payaso.
I'll try to transate it to spanish and give to oher teachers arround my university... I really like the point you make: moodle does not work by itself, it need the teacher to think, to design the learning and to engage the classroom with his passion. I' sure the good teacher has lots of it to share...
I'll post the link of the spanish version.
Ludo
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Art Lader -
Thanks, Ludo.

Yeah, I am not surprised that you like the wiki part. wink

You know, I have never actually had anyone say to me that he or she expected Moodle to do the teaching part, but I have often had the feeling that some colleagues really _do_ expect that. I guess they are so impressed by the technology that they assume the students will also be swept up in Moodle-mania.

I can understand that, in fact, I have made that mistake, but I don't think it works that way very often.

Please feel free to do whatever you need to do to the story to make it work for you.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi Art!
in the spanish version of moodle docs we are allready working on the translation of the Pretty Good Teacher Thale.
http://docs.moodle.org/es/La_buena_maestra
I'm posting a message in the spanish course to announce it. Agani, congratulations for the story Art.
Ludo

by Art Lader -
That is so cool!

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
HI Art,
I've finished the translation of your tale to spanish  ( with a few licences ;) ).
During the translation I structured using wiki section tags the story in Acts. I've applied this edit to the english version (also inventing  the acts titles ) and finnally added a short epiloge to the story. I hope you like it. Please feel free to  roll back my edit .
Ludo

by Art Lader -
Ludo,

I will take a look, but I am sure that you have improved the story. Thanks! smile

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -
Love the new Epilogue!

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Bryan Williams -
I am hoping that it will somehow be useful for staff development.

Thanks Art, you bet it will be useful. This little story says more in a few words about the relevance of Moodle and online learning than most of what the experts have written in those important (read boring) journals and papers we try to keep up with. The relevancy factor among teachers and administrators is an uphill battle right now; this is a most excellent resource. You are one reason why the Moodle community is so great!  big grin
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Art Lader -
Thanks, Bryan. blush

That is quite a compliment.

-- Art

P. S. Maybe some other Moodlers will write little stories. There are so many creative, passionate Moodlers out there...
In reply to Art Lader

by Michelle Moore -
Art--I love it! This is so cool! I saw a couple of typos, but other than that I thought it was fabulous. Can I share this? (I'll give you due credit of course.)
In reply to Michelle Moore

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If it's in Moodle Docs then it's GPL (Art, is this OK?)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Art Lader -
Of course! Anyone who wants should take it, use it, tweak it, do whatever he or she wants with it.

-- Art
In reply to Michelle Moore

by Art Lader -
I am glad that you like it, Michelle. If you can use it, please do. smile

If you would go to the wiki and clean up a couple of those typos and maybe help refine the story, I would appreciate it.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Tomaz Lasic -
Hi Art

Nice job, an intriguing story and well weaved. I kept nodding my head reading through it, recognising some of the lines almost verbatim...

You may want to look at the video titled "How can Moodle change a school" at http://human.edublogs.org (search under Moodle category if not on the front page, 2 clips).

I created the video (2 clips) to share the experience of great, positive changes that have happened at our school since installing Moodle and the ways staff and students have really adopted it.

The video would go nicely with your story.

Keep up the good work smile
In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -
Oops, just noticed the unnecessary commas in sentences like this one:
How do you have an online debate?
, she asked.

In reply to Art Lader

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
!! big grin

This is a really great idea, Art, you should put it in the Wiki, it might be easier for people to help there.

eg http://docs.moodle.org/en/The_Good_Teacher

by Art Lader -
Thanks, Martin. I will do that. Done.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Sigi Jakob-Kühn -

Hi Art, this is a great story .... how do you presume that the teacher should be a "she" wink    I recognised a lot of similarities though -

Kind regards from Germany ( Ulrike has infected me with her enthusiasm....)

Sigi

In reply to Sigi Jakob-Kühn

by Art Lader -
how do you presume that the teacher should be a "she"

Good question, Sigi. I will admit that "she" does seem to be carrying a lot of my emotional baggage, but that was not a conscious decision. wink

I hope that your Moodle Fever is contagious!

Please feel free to edit the story in the wiki. I would appreciate it.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Drew Buddie -

Art I have edited some Typos only so far.

Might I VERY humbly suggest, to allow this to apply worldwide, that you might alter references to US-specific things such as the Founding Fathers?  I did not want to cause offence by editing that part, but it could alienate some readers and would makeit less effective in othert  countries.

Otherwise this is an AWESOME piece of work.

In reply to Drew Buddie

by Art Lader -
Thanks, Drew! That Founding Fathers thing should not have slipped past me! I always appreciate constructive criticism. smile

I hope you will make any changes to the wiki that you feel are appropriate.

-- Art

by Ulrike Montgomery -
Art,

that's a great story. It definitely must be in the Wiki. It'll be on my  top priority list for the German translation.

Ulrike
In reply to Art Lader

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
The Pretty Good Teacher probably became a Very Good Teacher by also sharing something with Mr. Dougis that he didn't know. I don't know what that is but whatever "it" maybe, "it" is important to the thesis.

Maybe the Very Good Teacher suggests a Moodle Teacher forum to Mr. Dougis, to share ideas. Duh, says Mr. Dougis, why didn't I think of that. And off they go Moodling into the future.

Polish it.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Collman

by Art Lader -
It's in the wiki version. smile

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Keith Richardson -
Loved it Art.
IMHO its power comes from its audience being able to empathesize with the 'good teacher's' experiences.
The power to imagine oneself doing something new, can be almost impossible if one does not fully understand it, yet being new how can one understand it?? A dilemma that I often feel as I approach new software. And yet this 'self-imagining' is so powerful.
I like the way in your story you showed the good teacher's initial uncertainty, and the way she did not apply her pedagogical skills in the Moodle situation until this omission was pointed out to her.
Jason Cole in his "Using Moodle" book (O'Reilly, ISBN 0-596-00863-5) does this extremely well.
For a couple of years I have been lurking on Moodle sites, visited a few show-and-tells but did not feel sufficiently comfortable to jump in. Jason Cole changed that, because he speaks about making good pedagogical use of Moodle and specifically how, and now he is speaking my kind of language, so I feel more confident.
Your contribution, Art, is right up there with Jason. Congratulations, and thank you.
Keith
In reply to Keith Richardson

by Art Lader -
Thanks, Keith! That is high praise, indeed and much appreciated.

I hope that you will go to the wiki and tweak the story and make it better.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -

Just added a new section to The Pretty good Teacher: "Act 8: The assistant teacher."

Please feel free to improve it.

Thanks!

-- Art