AOL - no friend of education!

AOL - no friend of education!

by Bryan Williams -
Number of replies: 12
This message is for anyone in the community that has students or employees using the AOL service, and especially for those with K-20 student populations. You may have noticed the complaint level among your student population, regarding not receiving Moodle Forum posts and Assignment marking messages, has gone up sharply this year. The reason here is that AOL has decided that it is in their best interest to destroy an important part of what makes the Internet useful (i.e., email).

AOL has decided to charge commercial providers (any ISP) for delivering email to their subscribers. The first phase of this plan is to tighten the already restrictive screws on their spam policy; blacklisting servers that deliver legitimate mail (like messages coming from Moodle) after a certain number of complaints are registered from subscribers. Here is one way this complaint system works against Moodle, and other educational software programs that generate messages.

Imagine that 14 year old Johnny, enrolled in a social studies course designed to help improve test scores (say NCLB or SAT), decides those pesky forum posts and markings that come from his course really don't interest him that much. So, Johnny decides to just click "This is Spam" in his email client, thinking that will take care of his problem. After a certain number of these "complaints" are registered AOL simply blacklists the server IP generating mail coming from Johnny's course. But, it's not that simple! The effect of this action is felt by ALL students in Johnny's school with an AOL address, and all students for EVERY Moodle site on the ISP's server that hosts Johnny's school.

Trying to reason with AOL by suggesting they exempt from blacklisting learning sites and other programs which routinely generate legitimate email has only elicited a hardened response. This protester was told essentially by a senior AOL staff member "tough, were AOL and can do this. If you want your schools and businesses to get mail through on our system (whitelisting) pay us". This is the second phase of their plan to commercialize Internet email. AOL's sledge hammer approach to dealing with email spam is highly punitive against social software that generates messaging as part of its primary function (e.g. LMS, CMS, blog, student help desk responses etc.).

What Can Be Done Dept.
AOL knows their policy will cripple important Internet communications, and will have handed fear mongers and the greedy a victory if they succeed in commercializing email. They can easily exempt legitimate mail servers but refuse to budge on their policy despite a fire storm of protest. This is all about money, and has little to do with protecting subscribers against spam abuse. If you are being affected by AOL's actions, or don't think it is right that AOL should single handedly dictate how Internet email operates, register your protest at DearAOL.com. The Moodle learning community needs to let AOL know, without ambiguity, there will be consequences for their actions. If AOL does not stand down from their plan to commercialize email, and agree to work with legitimate ISP email services insuring Moodle mail goes through, perhaps community members can use their influence with students to dump their AOL service and sign up with a provider that cares about education more than their bottom line. Doing nothing about this now will only embolden Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail and others to follow in AOLs footsteps!
Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)
In reply to Bryan Williams

Re: AOL - no friend of education!

by PROFessor VAZZ - Brazil -
We have the same case in Brazil with yahoo.com.br
We have many problems with students because this.
The students've said that the problem is with our software.

PROFessor VAZZ
Brazil - São Paulo
In reply to PROFessor VAZZ - Brazil

by John Rodgers -
Yes, I can verify that yahoo confirmations do not work on our server.  I'm not certain why.  Perhaps the email deny message needs an explanation to educate users.

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
This is not just about K-20s.   Any  Moodle server can and probably will run into the same thing.    1 or 2 people subscribe to a forum and then forget (never happens to bald guys),  they click and say it is spam.  They have just shut off every other AOL subscriber who want to know what is going on in the forum.
That is what a powerful minority can do.

Message is, no guarantees that the student can sit back and be notified about anything.   They will have to go to the virtual classroom to participate.  What a drag.  How long will it be for the other big boys to do the same? .

AOL is taking the lazy approach.   When and if this starts effecting their revenues, they will figure out a secure way for individuals to unspam their bad boy filters.

In reply to Chris Collman

by M Y -
I personaly hated AOL anyway, but this time they crossed the line, what is wrong with them??
In reply to Chris Collman

by Jonathan Moore -
Even worse the addition of these big players of SPF fundementally breaks the mailing list model, because mailing lists forward messages as the user and are not in the approved list of IPs for the user's domain. Going to a paid model for allow spam through breaks it further because the only way for mailing lists to work with SPF is with a whitelist option and all these providers seem poised to dump their free whitelisting services.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hear hear!

Yes, it's pretty bad what they are doing to the internet.

Let me just stress to everyone that it's not just Moodle, ANY web site that produces email that can be affected by this bad policy.

If boycotting is what it takes then let's boycott them.

In Moodle >> Admin >> Configuration >> Variables you can set the variable 'denyemailaddresses' to 'aol.com', and users will have to use a different address to register.

I have just done this on moodle.org. Tell your friends.

It's unfortunate that their users have to suffer but it really is AOL's fault.
Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (3)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by N Hansen -
I was almost inspired to do the same...and then I discovered the last person who registered on my site was using AOL, and apparently confirmed their registration, so emails are still getting through from my site to AOL accounts at this time, although I have my doubts about emails from Paypal getting through to AOL at the moment. I checked the percentage of AOL users on my site and it is very small, less than 2%. I'd be curious to hear others' stats.

by Bryan Williams -
It seems that AOL's co-conspirator in the commercialization of email is now saying something quite different than what AOL is publicly saying about their plans. See http://www.spamdailynews.com/publish/Goodmail_CertifiedEmail_will_not_reduce_spam.asp for an interesting twist in this sad tale.

by Scott Elliott -
An interesting quote from the article:

"The committee also heard from several small groups still concerned that their email will be stopped in spam filters and that they will be charged a fee - even though AOL has offered to cover nonprofits' CertifiedEmail expenses."

and later:

" The state Senate committee plans to watch the program and take AOL and Goodmail to task if things go wrong, especially if nonprofit groups encounter problems."

The good news may be (if I am reading this right), nonprofit educational groups will be able to sign up for free.

The bad news is it's another hoop for educational institutions and is sure to cause problems with users who use Moodle commercially.

Sad, sad, sad sad
In reply to Scott Elliott

by Jonathan Moore -
That is what they are saying publicly, but so far working with the AOL postmaster call center we are being told, too bad pay to send. This could be an issue of right hand left hand in a big company, but in the mean time we can't get our mail through.

I don't have the link handy but I also read a related article that said that Hotmail has already gone down this road and that shortly there after the "free" white listing service stopped being response and I believe was being phased out.

by Dean Sundin -
AOL is not friends of anybody including thier own customers. They are the worst
In reply to Dean Sundin

by M Y -

I can't stand their customer support! I was setting up AOL for a friend under Ubuntu and their customer support sucks.

I rang up and got throught to a woman who could barly speak english and never heard of "this driver called Linux"!

"I am sorry, I think that, that driver is not compatible with our service!

We got a router instead

I would assume most of their systems run on Linux, why isnt there someone I can talk to about Linux!!!

Obviously they charged us a fortune!