breadcrumb gif img in 1.6 problem

breadcrumb gif img in 1.6 problem

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I am in the process of updating my orangechoc theme for Moodle 1.6.
I notice that in the navbar, the >> (double "greater than" character) has been replaced with a r_breadcrumb.gif image. For enhanced accessibility, the said gif is resizable through a resize class located in styles_fonts.css:
img.resize {width: 1em;height: 1em;}
I fail to see how this is an improvement (even in terms of accessibility) over the former >> convention for the breadcrumb. In fact, the r_breadcrumb.gif image is hardly visible on a dark background, and when text-size is enlarged in one's browser, a nasty aliasing effect becomes visible.sad
Could we please revert to the former >> system, which offered the advantage of being easily colored any color of one's choice in one's theme, and was of course scaleable through using relative font-size, without any aliasing effect.
Joseph
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: breadcrumb gif img in 1.6 problem

by Darren Smith -
I believe the accessibility issues where to prevent screen readers saying 'greater than' every time the characters were read.

Darren
In reply to Darren Smith

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Darren,
Thanks for your answer. I hadn't thought of that! Actually I was wrong, the character used in the navbar is not a double greater than character >> but a raquo;, a right-pointing double angle quotation mark = right pointing guillemet: »
I expect the same accessibility issue would apply there, i.e. screen readers would say "closing quotation mark" or something like that.
If that is the case, then I will accept the change and try to produce a r_breadcrumb.gif suitable for my theme!
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by N Hansen -
There's also another reason for it. With right-to-left languages, they were pointing in the wrong direction.
In reply to N Hansen

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Aha, perfect use of a styles.php in the language pack (this is already supported).