Unfortunately, cookies are currently not enabled in your browser

Unfortunately, cookies are currently not enabled in your browser

by Jeffrey Stemen -
Number of replies: 38

I have Moodle installed on a Linux Redhat 8.0 Intranet server. When I try to access from any other client's web browser I receive the error "Unfortunately, cookies are currently not enabled in your browser".

I have cookies enabled to accept all and to accept session cookies.

Otherwise, all aspects of the program are functioning properly.

Any ideas? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeffrey Stemen

Re: Unfortunately, cookies are currently not enabled in your browser

by Eevee Eon -

Are you using a firewall software like ZoneAlarm? If yes, try to turn it off. I have the same problem and when I turn my ZoneAlarm off, everything is okay.

Tran Lan Anh

Vietnam Integrated Solution Company

http://vnis.com.vn

In reply to Eevee Eon

by Jeffrey Stemen -

I do not have any firewall software installed. Also, to clarify my original post.

I can access the site from another client but I can not login without the cookies error.

by Jeffrey Stemen -

Please, I am dead in the water and can not use this software. I have read previous posts with the same error and have tried all of them, to no avail.

I need assistance, PLEASE!

In reply to Eevee Eon

by Greg Egan -
This is great but I bought a firewall so it would protect me - I don't really want to be turning it off so I can use Moodle.
In reply to Greg Egan

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
No need to turn it off. Just configure it to allow access to Moodle.

Saludos. Iñaki.
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Greg Egan -

Thank you

I'm not sure how to do that - I can go to ZoneAlarm's program control, and I guess I add Moodle and give it a trust level, access level, and whether it can act as a server and send email.  Please excuse my newbie ignorance, but what file would I be giving access to here?  Would it be xampp_start.exe?  I haven't yet got a hold of how all the components of Moodle fit together.thoughtful

Greg

In reply to Greg Egan

by Pat Kelley -
Quick fix for ZoneALarm - go to Privacy/Main, set Cookie Control to "Off". This will allow tracking cookies, however if you scan for these cookies vigilantly you should have no problems.
In reply to Pat Kelley

by Pat Kelley -
You will also need to do the following: 

1. Open ZoneAlarm Privacy properties
  2. On the Site List tab click Add button and add the VLE site (moodle.gla.ac.uk) to the list (or "localhost" (no quotes) if you are doing a local install)
  3. Once listed, right click the site and select Options from the context menu
  4. In the Site Options property window uncheck everything on the Ad Blocking tab and then click Apply.
I needed to do this step in addition to my previous post.  The combination of both seems to work okay.

In reply to Pat Kelley

by derek almond -
Does any one have a solution to this yet ?

I dont believe that this is a firewall settings problem at all - in any event that would just be bad practice, why would any one trust a website that requires you to bypass your firewall ?

any way back to my point.

i can access

http://www.inst.org/wedding-planner/online/

but not

http://www.inst.org/ID/online/

there is one immidiate difference between the two - in firefox the ID site also fails to load the style sheets due to an incorrect MIME type,  from a quick glance i see that there is code in there to prevent cookie caching ,im going to have a play with that.

I'll post back here if i find a cure, but id appreciate it if some one else could comment on how they got round ti with out having to tell their users to alter thier fire wall.

Derek

In reply to derek almond

by derek almond -
okay - fixed it,

in my case there were two extra lines at the end of config.php

(it needs to end with just  ?>   no white space or  line breaks or anything at all after this)

not sure how it got there though ;-(

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to derek almond

by Makalo Motsamai -

Hi Derek,

Thanks for saving my life, I was fuming with anger angry!

Regrds,

Makalo

In reply to derek almond

by Neil Heyes -

Derek

thanks saved my life here !!!

this happended to me as I pasted the config.php in via vi

Neil

In reply to Neil Heyes

by Dávid Takács -
The same happened to me, I pasted in vim. This should be solved eg. using ob_* functions.
In reply to derek almond

by raj vege -
thank you very much Derek. It solved the problem. I am getting this problem with fresh installation. hope they will fix core file confog.php

by Eduardo Hernandez -

hi,

i just wanted to share my experience with this issue of Unfortunately, cookies are currently not enabled in your browser. my problem is that i downloaded moodle using my windows machine, and i was unzipping the file in windows before uploading files to my linux server. i tried this twice with same results. i have now downloaded and unzipped files directly in the linux server; problem solved.

Eduardo

In reply to Eduardo Hernandez

by harsh desai -

This is what solved it for me !

Check your config.php and make sure that there are no blank lines after ?>

I couldnt log in and my css was broken. This fixed it !

thanks

harsh

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Larry Elchuck -
The same issue recently reared its ugly head for me on both a CentOS and a Mac OS X (MAMP) install. I had nothing after the ending ?> in the config.php file. I am updating daily using CVS and do have about 15 modded files and a couple of third-party plugins compared to the original build.

The only thing that worked for me was adding the line
$CFG->usesid=true;
to the config.php file.

larry
In reply to Larry Elchuck

by craig smith -
this just fixed my problem as well with cookie log in and the site not loading correct in firefox !

how can a few spaces at the end of the config file mess up the whole package soooooo much ??

by Kyle Claypool -
Ahhh Larry you're a lifesaver. I couldn't get anything else to fix the problem, but the $CFG->usesid=true; approach worked.

My problem was even more confusing... The site worked fine in IE7 in Vista, but not Firefox, and worked in IE 6 in XP but not Firefox or IE7... Even more puzzling, this all happened after the site had been live for a number of weeks without issue, and appeared to run into this problem without my having changed anything. Can anyone make sense of that..?

Thanks again Larry.
In reply to Kyle Claypool

by Larry Elchuck -
Kyle

Login as admin and go to Site Administration ... Session Handling .... Cookie Path and check that it is /moodle.

Uncomment $CFG->usesid=true; (//$CFG->usesid=true;) and see if it still works for all.

If it does, go with this solution

If not, revert back to
$CFG->usesid=true;

larry

by Petr Janeček -
Hello, I have the same problem here.
We migrated server to the new ISP (whole server HW) and after changing DB address in config.php to new IP I was unable to login and firefox has broken (not linked) CSS.
I tried all the things written in this thread but nothing really helped. Usesid=true allowed me to log in, but I have to relogin quite often, I am unable to run SCORM course and CSS in FF is still broken.
All of our 4 Moodle installations located on the same server are broken the same way.
If anybody wants to check it, there is a test installation at http://moodle.langmaster.org/ login is test/test123_

Any help would be appreciated.
Petr
In reply to Petr Janeček

by Petr Janeček -
Solved - I had UTF8 identification bits in config.php ...
In reply to Petr Janeček

by theju k -

Can you please elaborate on this Petr!

In reply to Petr Janeček

by Deiner Fernandes -

Thanks Petr. Your hint solved my problem. 

In reply to Deiner Fernandes

by Raphael Muonga -

Deiner,

What was the hint that solved the problem?

by Magno Correa -

Thanks! It's help me!!!

I'm install moodle 1.9 in Windows Vista and IE7

by Francis Brouns -
Just to let you know, that one of our users encountered the cookies not enabled problem in IE, while cookies were enabled. It turned out to be that the system clock on his PC was set to an incorrect date. Changing the date solved the problem.
In reply to Francis Brouns

by Paul 'Fire' Preibisch -
make sure you put

$CFG->usesid=true

near the top - not at the end or it won't work!

Thanks for this!
In reply to Francis Brouns

by theju k -

Thanks a lot! Correcting the system date in the user's PC, worked out in my case also... smile

by John Bales -

Evidently, this bug has been around for five years now and it still is not fixed.

My university is considering switching to Moodle hosted by a private firm, yet I cannot evaluate it using the sandbox set up for that purpose because I always get the error "Unfortunately, cookies are currently not enabled in your browser,"

If I cannot log in, how can I expect my students to log in?

The good folks at Moodle seem uninterested in fixing this, even after five years.

This is both frustrating and tragic, since in other respects Moodle is so much better than Blackboard.

In reply to John Bales

by John Bales -

I stand corrected. Evidently it has been fixed in Moodle 2.0. My apologies.

In reply to John Bales

by Johnny Zephyr -

I have been running from 1.9.8 to 1.9.11. i've had this problem too.

Session cookies are initialised from the home page. You will find that if you have redirects taking your user away from the moodle home page at logon they will have issues.

You can simply rectify this by directing users to your home page (and not sub directories) so cookies can be initialised. e.g send them to your-vle.org and not your-vle.org/somewhere. At least your users will be able to login! Take out the 'somewhere' directory fom the url.

if you really need your redirect...modify the index.php to take them to your redirect!

Having said that, once logged in they can very easily go to any subpages you want them to.

In reply to Johnny Zephyr

by david freeman -

I have ran into this same install problem: 'Can not initialise PHP session, please verify that your browser accepts cookies'

This is a fresh install of moodle version 2.0. I have tried all the suggestions and hacks and cannot get past the point in the install after the database has been configured.

I have checked Windows firewall and it is not the issue.

I have tried this in various browsers and on various machines and all get the same message both on Mac and PC.

I have verified all my paths for $CFG->dirroot, dataroot, and webroot and all are valid.

I have verified with my host the proper version of PHP and MySQL, and the .htaccess has been updated accordingly.

I am hosting on hostgator BTW. I am completely stumped as to why this won't work, and have been dealing with this off and on for three days now.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will keep hacking around and report back with anything I find.

Thanks!

Dave Freeman

In reply to david freeman

by david freeman -

Manged to get 2.0 running using the hosting services install program, so I know it will run.  Unfortunately, the installer puts the moodle data folder in some obscure place.

I took the config file from the instance the host installed and tried to use it to install my instance, and am still getting the same error. Very puzzling.

DCF

by david freeman -

Went back to the install done by the hosting company, and all is working fine. I have to believe now that there is a configuration issue with the hosting company and PHP with regard to sessions. No time to figure it out or haggle with tech support. Gotta start transferring courses, so onward.

by Jennifer Gutowsky -

I am a novice and need some clarification on how to find the PHP file. I cannot login to a course I previously set up to test, using my local computer as a server.  It's as if, after logging in once, the computer no longer recognizes me. I want to try some of the suggestions in this thread, but don't know where to begin.

Jennifer