Turck MMCACHE

Turck MMCACHE

by rich t -
Number of replies: 10

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has tried MMCACHE with Moodle 1.2?

I can say that performance skyrockets!!!
The only issue is with the dynalink text filter. If I have that enabled (we have a lot of glossary entries for instance), then course homepages do not completely display. If I disable the text filters, then it runs absolutely awesome! It seems like MMCACHE does not want to wait to parse pages very long.

Running:

WIN2000 Server
Have tried both IIS and Apache 1.3.29
PHP 4.3.4
MYSQL 4.0.16 (?) (Latest version smile
MMCACHE

Thanks.

Rich

Average of ratings: -
In reply to rich t

Re: Turck MMCACHE

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Ah, thank you.  That is exactly the problem I was having with Turck ... the course pages weren't displaying fully  (it would get down past the first section and then stop).  This only happens with the cache turned on.  I hadn't realised it was also related to dynalink.  How very odd.
In reply to rich t

by Genner Cerna -

Im trying to install MMCache, is it possible to run in this server? is the requirement of MMCache is a must? How do I install and compile it in linux the setup instruction is not so clear about installation... help? Is it compatible to moodle 1.1.1 or higher version? What do I need?

Server running:

Redhat 9
PHP 4.2.2

In reply to Genner Cerna

by Bill Bimber -

You don't need mmcache or any other php accelerator, unless your server is running too slowly.  I got it running on Redhat 9 with Moodle 1.1.1, but I got errors running 1.2. Martin said he also had trouble with mmcache, but PHP Accelerator works. So you could try that, if you need to speed your server up.

In reply to rich t

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Rich,

I just installed PHP with MMcache included and enabled.
Could you explain "the only issue is with the dynalink text filter". Is that on MMcache? And does this, "if I disable text filters", mean Moodle's filters?

I am getting the following error only when I enable the media plugin filter on Moodle, and wonder if it is related to MMcache.

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare mediaplugin_filter() in /Library/Apache2/htdocs/courses/filter/mediaplugin/filter.php on line 28

I need the multimedia plugins for quiz questions with audio. If MMCache is the problem, what should I redo in its settings?

[mmcache]
zend_extension="/Library/PHP4/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20020429/mmcache.so"
mmcache.shm_size="16"
mmcache.cache_dir="/tmp/mmcache"
mmcache.enable="1"
mmcache.optimizer="1"
mmcache.check_mtime="1"
mmcache.debug="0"
mmcache.filter=""
mmcache.shm_max="0"
mmcache.shm_ttl="0"
mmcache.shm_prune_period="0"
mmcache.shmxxx"0"
mmcache.compress="1"

My system is...
Mac OS 10.3.3
Apache 2.0
PHP 4.3.4 with MMcache
MySQL 4.0.17
Moodle 1.3 20040405 development

In reply to Don Hinkelman

by rich t -

Hi Don,

Sorry, can't help with that error. Since Turck caused much of the webpages not to be completely displayed, I discontinued trying to use it. This was when the text filter was enabled. I am not sure why this happened...maybe Martin came up with a solution.

Rich

In reply to rich t

by Don Hinkelman -
Thanks, Rich. If there is no workaround for the conflict between MMcache and the mediaplugin/glossary filters, then I will have to give it up too.

Any ideas, Martin?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
No ideas from me, sorry.  The filters work fine with the IonCube PHP Accelerator so that's what I use ... I didn't pursue Turck further to narrow this down.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Don Hinkelman -
Thanks!  That's what I needed to hear (but not really what I wanted to hear mixed )   I notice MMcache seems not be supported anymore, and it means I seriously have to think about a Linux server with PHP Accelerator to handle our big quiz/audio load.  So sad to think about losing my Mac (no OS X version of the accelerator), but I know you have been recommending linux for a long time.   It's kind of like losing my religion though.  Send me over a couple beers to help me get over the trauma.  sleepy   

by Martín Langhoff -
Martin has posted that MMCache isn't compatible w Moodle. Most of these accelerators fiddle with PHP's output chain, so code that also uses the output chain (such as output filters) tend to conflict with them.

Ioncube's PHP Accelerator is an alternative, and Martin seems to have indicated that it works better.

regards,

martin (the other one)