Number of replies: 3
here are the greek translation of moodle converted in utf8
http://moodle.org/file.php/49/moddata/forum/757/184945/el_utf8.tar.g
with also changed in the moodle.php $string['thischarset']
Average of ratings: -
In reply to aggelos panagiotakis

Re: greek translations converted in UTF8

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Thanks a lot for your work, but..
It is not necessary to convert the language pack yourself. It is already done for you for existing languages. It's better to use the converted one in cvs (to be downloaded with a moodle 1.6 dev version) and do the editing with the build in editor. There are also a few minor changes on other places in the language pack.

Are there any new strings/help files compared to the one in CVS?
In reply to koen roggemans

Απάντηση: Re: greek translations converted in UTF8

by aggelos panagiotakis -

i have some already done but it's not ready yet due to syntax and spelling reasons .As soon i spellcheck them be assured you 'll have them.
Thanks again

p.s.: we must have 1.6 installed for utf8 to work correctly?i saw errors displaying everything if the mysql spits out other encodings.
In reply to aggelos panagiotakis

Re: ÁðÜíôçóç: Re: greek translations converted in UTF8

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Please read this important tread http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=38892 and this important manual
Please read http://docs.moodle.org/en/Translation

If it is not clear enough, please point out what, so the documentation can be improved.

To go short: since a few weeks, we don't use 1.5 anymore for the creation of translations. So we don't make any language packs but unicode language packs. Moodle 1.6 is especially tuned to do that , so please use 1.6 for your translations. A language pack for 1.6 could probably  be used on a 1.5 if you copy the content of langconfig.php into moodle.php, but I wouldn't recommend doing that on production environment as a normal  procedure gemengd gevoel.

My advise to you is:
  • leave the current Greek installations as they are. The language pack hasn't been updated for more then 2 years, so it can wait another 2 months.
  • for translationwork: do a download of an as recent as possible 1.6 (and update it regularly - eg weekly). Download the Greek utf8 translation and use that as a start. Please use the build-in editor for strings and helpfiles to avoid problems in your language pack.
  • If you have already new files, follow the procedure above, replace the existing files in the el_utf8 language pack with your new files, open - check and save them with the Moodle build-in editor.
Please stay in touch if I can help you any further or for adding your new files in CVS.