Button for remove of test trials from teacher(s)?

Quiz Overview Module - delete attempts v. 1.3

by Thomas Robb -
Number of replies: 10
The indentation of this forum is going WAY to far to the right, so I'll start again by replying to Ger's first message.

Here is perhaps my final version of this module. The display now elegantly says "No attempts have been made on this quiz" once the final attempt has been deleted.
In reply to Thomas Robb

Re: Quiz Overview Module - delete attempts v. 1.3

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks, Thomas.  big grin

I've checked this functionality into CVS.  During my review I actually made a lot of changes to the code but it's a lot easier starting with a working product so thank you.
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Ger Tielemans -

In line 101 of report.php it shows $clearalll  instead of $clearall...

(Button label does not show)

Small suggestion for button names:

- delete selection

- clear selection

- delete all

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Thomas Robb -
Martin now has control of this module, not me. It seems that he has already implemented Ger's wording for "delete selection" and "delete all" but, at least on this Moodle in the sandbox area, a "Reset" or "Clear selection" button still doesn't appear.
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, I took the reset button out, since it's an optional form in the first place and just added clutter (to my eye).  If anyone really really wants it I'll put it back.  smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ger Tielemans -

Not for me, I will use the refresh button but I was wondering about our 700 normal schoolteachers starting using computers with Moodle on it for the first time in their life: 

"Hey this machine goes black and I did not even touch it." wink

by Ger Tielemans -

A little story:

In1982 there was one school in the Netherlands far ahead of the rest: Odulphus college in Tilburg. On personal computers (Commodore PET?) students did tests and at the end the results came out the printer on chainpaper. As a kind of service one page was filled with statistical items like average, standard deviation etc..

Asking teachers how they liked that they all said: GREAT!!

... until one teacher added: "Yes, we like it because that is the only place where we can tear off the paper without losing the answers of our students."
                                 (citation: Jan Schoenmaker, a Dutch educational computer pioneer.)

Looking in this spirit to quiz-results I am a happy man:

• In a glance a teacher can see in simple statistics: are my questions (to) difficult?
  • In detailted statistics I jump to the yellow pastille and see: are my questions good?

I only miss now the third one: multipercentages, where I can see in a glance:
are my m.c.-alternatives good?

In my Dutch translation I call the headers this way, so...

Please, can I have this yellow one back?

by Thomas Robb -
To find out if your m/c choices are any good, you only need to scan the second table in the Detailed Statistics plug-in. This reports how many students selected each of the M/C choices. If there are any choices that only a few people selected, you should consider ways to make it more "attractive" as a distractor.

It would be a simple matter to modify (improve?) the script so that any M/C choice with fewer than 10% -15% selecting it would appear with a yellow background. Is this what you want?
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Ger Tielemans -

Yes you are right it is there, I missed it, attracked as I was by that discrim.index.
(without reading it, I thought that it was some Japanese calculation explanation of the discrim. index blush)

I would prefer % in the M/C rows above the discrim. index, not the counting numbers

Also in the line just above discrim. index, the label says it gives percent correct, but it shows up as a fraction with a percent-sign. 0.4% instead of 40%

Detailed Stats and percentages

by Thomas Robb -
Some how this has gotten into the wrong thread since it is about "Detailed Statistics" (fullstat) rather than the Overview module, but anyhow...

I have fixed the problem with the maths on the "Percent Correct" line but haven't committed it yet because I just got a new computer and CVS didn't come pre-installed. Hopefully, I can do this tomorrow.

The reason for the error was due to the changes made to the Excel output recently. They both draw on the same data, but Excel needs the numbers already pre-divided by 100.

I agree that percentages would be better, but to implement percentages in the M/C rows will not be so easy because the data is stored as a string with the response and the number together. Obviously this is/was poor programming style since I would now have to parse the string to get the number in order to calculate the percentage.

I think i'd better "go back to the drawing board" on this lest the code get too complex and difficult for future programmers to figure out or modify, so please be patient. I'll get to it eventually!
In reply to Thomas Robb

Re: Detailed Stats and percentages

by Ger Tielemans -
Now we have the delete button it would be nice to see the teacher trials in the simple statistics. (We can kill them before we do a difficulty analysis.)