import filter: GIFT (General Import Format Template)

import filter: GIFT (General Import Format Template)

by Paul Shew -
Number of replies: 26
I've finished the work on the import filter and I have a suggestion for a name:

GIFT
General Import Format Template

Please let me know what bugs you find.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paul Shew

GIFT documentation

by Paul Shew -

DESCRIPTION

GIFT

The GIFT format is a quick, easy to use method for teachers writing questions as a text file. It supports true-false, short answer and multiple-choice questions, as well as insertion of a blank line for the missing word format. Below are examples of the following question types: multiple choice, missing word, true-false and short-answer.

Who's buried in Grant's tomb?{~Grant ~Jefferson =no one}

Grant is {~buried =entombed ~living} in Grant's tomb.

Grant is buried in Grant's tomb.{=FALSE}

Who's buried in Grant's tomb?{no one/nobody}

Various question-types can be mixed in a sigle text file, and the format also supports question names, feedback comments and percentage-weight grades. GIFT stands for "General Import Format Template."

DOCUMENTATION

The GIFT format is a quick, easy to use method for teachers writing questions as a text file. This import filter inserts three basic question types recognized by Moodle: Multiple Choice, True-False and Short Answer. Various question-types can be mixed in a sigle text file, and the format also supports question names, feedback comments and percentage-weight grades. GIFT stands for "General Import Format Template." Curly brackets are used to indicate answers in the GIFT format.

QUESTION TYPES

Multiple Choice:
For multiple choice questions, each answer is separated with a tilde (~), and the correct answer is prefixed with an equal sign (=).

Missing Word is a subset of the multiple choice question that automatically inserts a fill-in-the-blank line (like this _____) in the middle of the sentence. To make this kind of question, place the answers where you want the line to appear in the sentence.

There must be a blank line (double carriage return) seperating questions. For clarity, the answers can be written on seperate lines. For example:

Japanese characters originally came from what country? {
     ~India
     =China
     ~Korea}

The American holiday of Thanksgiving is celebrated on the {
     ~second
     ~third
     =fourth
     } Thursday of November.

Short Answer:
Short answer questions must not contain a tilde, and are seperated by a slash (/). They can also be written as a missing word statement.

Who's buried in Grant's tomb?{no one/nobody}

Two plus two equals {four/4}.

Note that if the answers come before the closing punctuation mark, a fill-in-the-blank line will be inserted.

True-False:
In this question-type the answer indicates whether the statement is true or false. The answer may be written as {=TRUE} or [=FALSE}, or abbreviated to {=T} or {=F}.

Grant is buried in Grant's tomb.{=F}

The sun rises in the east.{=T}

OPTIONS

In addition to these basic question types, this filter offers the following options: question name, feedback and percentage answer weight.

Question Name:
A question name can be specified by placing it first and enclosing it within double colons.

::Kanji Origins::Japanese characters originally
     came from what countr?{=China}

::Thanksgiving Date::The American holiday of Thanksgiving is 
     celebrated on the {~second ~third =fourth} Thursday of November.

If no question name is specified, the entire question will be used as the name by default.

Feedback Comments:
Feedback can be included for each answer by following the comment with a hash mark(#) and the comment.

What's the answer to this multiple-choice question?{
     ~wrong answer#comment on the wrong answer
     ~another wrong answer#comment on this wrong answer
     =right answer#Very good!}

Who's buried in Grant's tomb?{no one#excellent answer!}

Grant is buried in Grant's tomb.{=FALSE#No one is buried in Grant's tomb.}

For Multiple Choice questions, feedback is displayed only for the answer the student selected. For short answer, feedback is shown only when students input the corresponding correct answer. For true-false questions, the imported feedback is saved so that it will display if the student marked the question incorrectly. So, in the last example above, the student would see the comment only if they selected TRUE as their answer.

Percentage Answer Weights:
For multiple choice questions, percentage answer weights can be included by following the tilde with the desired percent enclosed within percent signs (e.g., %50%). This option can all be combined with feedback comments.

Difficult question.{~wrong answer ~%50%half credit answer =full credit answer}

::Jesus' home town::Jesus Christ was from {
     ~Jerusalem#This was an important city, but the wrong answer.
     ~%33%Bethlehem#He was born here, but not raised here.
     ~%50%Galilee#You need to be more specific.
     =Nazareth#Yes! That's right!}.

Note that it is possible to specify percentage answer weights that are NOT available through the browser interface. Such answer-weights will calculate correctly (according to the value assigned when imported), and will appear normal to students taking the test. But such answer-weights will not display correctly to teachers when editing them through Moodle's Edit Question interface. The pull-down menu only allows certain fixed values, and if the answer-weight does not exactly match one of those predetermined values, then it will not display correctly. If you edit such a question through the browser interface, the answer weight will change to that displayed.

Other Options:
Other options are avalable through editing the import filter gift.php.

The answers to Short Answer questions can be made case sensitive by changing "0" to "1" in the following line:
$question->usecase = 0; // Ignore case

It is also possible to enable multiple answers, by uncommenting the appropriate code. Search for "enable multiple answers" to find the lines.

CREDITS

This filter was written through the collaboration of numerous members of the Moodle community. It was originally based on the simple missingword format. In July 2003, Thomas Robb wrote the original code for the percentage answer weight parser and comment insertion . Paul Tsuchido Shew rewrote the filter in December 2003 incorporating community suggestions for a more robust question format, and adding the question name parser and additional question types.

GIFT documentation, version 1.0. Paul Tsuchido Shew, 11 Dec. 2003.

In reply to Paul Shew

Re: GIFT documentation

by Dennis Daniels -
Paul,
This is a very impressive piece of documentation! My hat's off to you sir! Fantastic stuff here! Clear, concise and practical!

Will I need to download the latest CVS moodle for your code to work or can I open up the zip package in the stable moodle?

Wow, Paul, I know I'll be testing out your code this weekend! smile
Denny
In reply to Paul Shew

Re: GIFT documentation

by Inês Maio -

Hello,

I want to import some questions, and each question has just one feedback for all the wrong answers.

How can I import general feedback for all wrong answers?

Thank you

In reply to Paul Shew

Re: import filter: GIFT (General Import Format Template)

by Paul Shew -
GIFT version 1.0 BETA 2

Last night I had code on my brain. I still had several ideas I wanted to implement, and I could already see all the code in my head. I just couldn't rest until I had written the code down and incorporated it into the filter.

Included in the changes are 1) percentage answer weights for short answer questions and 2) discontinued use of the slash(/) as a divider. Since all short-answer answers are correct, dividing them with an equal sign seemed like a more logically consistant convention, plus it reduces the number of reserved characters.

This is a significant change to the original format, so please note the new documentation.

I've tested it, and haven't found any problems. Please let me know if you find errors or bugs.
In reply to Paul Shew

GIFT (General Import Format Template) updated documentation

by Paul Shew -

DESCRIPTION

GIFT

GIFT is a versitile import filter that provides a quick and easy method for teachers to write Moodle quiz questions as a text file. It supports true-false, short answer and multiple-choice questions, as well as insertion of a blank line for the missing word format. Below are examples of the following question types: multiple choice, missing word, true-false and short-answer.

Grant is buried in Grant's tomb.{FALSE}

Who's buried in Grant's tomb?{=noxxxnobody}

Various question-types can be mixed in a sigle text file, and the format also supports question names, feedback comments and percentage-weight grades. GIFT stands for "General Import Format Template."

DOCUMENTATION

GIFT is a versitile import filter that provides a quick and easy method for teachers to write Moodle quiz questions as a text file. GIFT can process three basic question types recognized by Moodle: Multiple Choice, True-False and Short Answer. Various question-types can be mixed in a sigle text file, and the format also supports question names, feedback comments and percentage-weight grades. GIFT stands for "General Import Format Template." Curly brackets are used to indicate answers in the GIFT format.

QUESTION TYPES

Multiple Choice:
For multiple choice questions, each answer is separated with a tilde (~), and the correct answer is prefixed with an equal sign (=).

Missing Word is a subset of the multiple choice question that automatically inserts a fill-in-the-blank line (like this _____) in the middle of the sentence. To make this kind of question, place the answers where you want the line to appear in the sentence.

There must be a blank line (double carriage return) seperating questions. For clarity, the answers can be written on seperate lines and even indented. For example:

The American holiday of Thanksgiving is celebrated on the {
     ~second
     ~third
     =fourth
     } Thursday of November.

Japanese characters originally came from what country? {
          ~India
          =China
          ~Korea
          ~Egypt}

Short Answer:
Short answer questions are seperated by an equal sign (=), indicating that they are all correct answers. Short answer questions must not contain a tilde. They can also be written as a missing word statement.

Who's buried in Grant's tomb?{=noxxxnobody}

Two plus two equals {=four =4}.

Note that if the answers come before the closing punctuation mark, a fill-in-the-blank line will be inserted.

If there is only one correct Short Answer, it may be written without the equal sign prefix, providing it cannot be confused as True-False.

True-False:
In this question-type the answer indicates whether the statement is true or false. The answer should be written as {TRUE} or [FALSE}, or abbreviated to {T} or {F}.

Grant is buried in Grant's tomb.{F}

The sun rises in the east.{T}

OPTIONS

In addition to these basic question types, this filter offers the following options: question name, feedback and percentage answer weight.

Question Name:
A question name can be specified by placing it first and enclosing it within double colons.

::Kanji Origins::Japanese characters originally
     came from what country? {=China}

::Thanksgiving Date::The American holiday of Thanksgiving is 
     celebrated on the {~second ~third =fourth} Thursday of November.

If no question name is specified, the entire question will be used as the name by default.

Feedback Comments:
Feedback can be included for each answer by following the comment with a hash mark(#) and the comment.

What's the answer to this multiple-choice question?{
     ~wrong answer#comment on the wrong answer
     ~another wrong answer#comment on this wrong answer
     =right answer#Very good!}

Who's buried in Grant's tomb?{
     =no one#excellent answer!
     =nobody#excellent answer!}

Grant is buried in Grant's tomb.{FALSE#No one is buried in Grant's tomb.}

For Multiple Choice questions, feedback is displayed only for the answer the student selected. For short answer, feedback is shown only when students input the corresponding correct answer. For true-false questions, the imported feedback is saved so that it will display if the student marked the question incorrectly. So, in the last example above, the student would see the comment only if they selected TRUE as their answer.

Percentage Answer Weights:
Percentage answer weights are available for both Multiple Choice and Short Answer questions. Percentage answer weights can be included by following the tilde (for Multiple Choice) or equal sign (for Short Answer) with the desired percent enclosed within percent signs (e.g., %50%). This option can be combined with feedback comments.

Difficult question.{~wrong answer ~%50%half credit answer =full credit answer}

::Jesus' hometown::Jesus Christ was from {
     ~Jerusalem#This was an important city, but the wrong answer.
     ~%25%Bethlehem#He was born here, but not raised here.
     ~%50%Galilee#You need to be more specific.
     =Nazareth#Yes! That's right!}.

::Jesus' hometown:: Jesus Christ was from {
     =Nazareth#Yes! That's right!
     =%75%Nazereth#Right, but misspelled.
     =%25%Bethlehem#He was born here, but not raised here.}

Note that the last two examples are essentially the same question, first as multiple choice and then as short answer.

Note that it is possible to specify percentage answer weights that are NOT available through the browser interface. Such answer-weights will calculate correctly (according to the value assigned when imported), and will appear normal to students taking the test. But such answer-weights will not display correctly to teachers when editing them through Moodle's Edit Question interface. The pull-down menu only allows certain fixed values, and if the answer-weight does not exactly match one of those predetermined values, then it will not display correctly. If you edit such a question through the browser interface, the answer weight will change to that displayed.

Other Options:
Other options are avalable through editing the import filter gift.php.

Short Answer questions can be made case sensitive by changing "0" to "1" in the following line:
$question->usecase = 0; // Ignore case

It is also possible to enable multiple answers, by uncommenting the appropriate code. Search for "enable multiple answers" to find the lines.

CREDITS

This filter was written through the collaboration of numerous members of the Moodle community. It was originally based on the simple missingword format. In July 2003, Thomas Robb wrote the original code for the percentage answer weight parser and comment insertion . Paul Tsuchido Shew rewrote the filter in December 2003 incorporating community suggestions for a more robust question format, and adding the question name parser, additional question types and other features.

GIFT documentation, version 1.0. Paul Tsuchido Shew, 12 Dec. 2003.

In reply to Paul Shew

Re: GIFT (General Import Format Template) updated documentation

by Ray Kingdon -
Paul, this is really neat.

What is puzzling me are Mulitple choice questions when they have more than one answer. You give an example of two such questions in the examples.txt file (about which two people share the dreaded tomb). The filter returns a question type of MULTICHOICE and sets the single field to false. Isn't the question type MULTIANSWER? Or is that a completely different type of question? Or is it that the Quiz Module doesn't know what to do if the question type is set to MULTIANSWER (and works out how many choices from the fractions)?

Perplexed mixed
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Paul Shew -
Ray,

My understanding is that "Multiple-answer" questions are an option within Multiple choice questions. Technically speaking, all multiple choice questions have multiple answers. But when you intend for more than one of the answers to be correct, then you should use the "Multiple answers" option. Here's from the GIFT documentation:
The Multiple Answers option is used for multiple choice questions when two or more answers must be selected in order to obtain full credit. The multiple answers option is enabled by assigning partial answer weight to multiple answers, while allowing no single answer to receive full credit.

Here's the explaination about the multiple answer option from the Multiple Choice questions help file:
Multiple-answer questions allow one or more answers to be chosen - each answer may carry a positive or negative grade, so that choosing ALL the options will not necessarily result in good grade. If the total grade is negative then the total grade for this question will be zero. Careful, it is possible to create questions that have scores greater than 100%.

Moodle's code uses the "MULTIANSWER" question type, to refer to "Embedded Answers (Cloze)" questions. "Multianswer" and "multiple answers" can be rather confusing for developers, but I don't think regulars users will every run across the term "multianswer."

Maybe we can suggest that in Moodle 2.0, "EMBEDDED" or "CLOZEQUESTION" can be subsititued for the more confusing "MULTIANSWER".

In reply to Paul Shew

by Ray Kingdon -
Paul, thanks for the comprehensive explaination, that's cleared up my confusion. A little renaming would seem a good idea. smile

Any thoughts on a GIFT export filter?

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Paul Shew -
Thoughts, Yes. Concrete ideas, No.

It would be a good idea. The GIFT format supports most Moodle questions and options, making it a good format for such a project. But I'm not sure where to start.

I haven't used Moodle's backup feature myself, but is it not possible to backup questions and then restore them? Wouldn't this essentially do the same thing?
In reply to Paul Shew

by Ray Kingdon -

No, the Backup/Restore mechanism does a different job to an Export/Import filter. While very useful, a Backup is (a) internal to Moodle and (b) tied to a particular module. It also carries a whole load of (necessary) baggage about database structures and users. The GIFT filter produces something which is much more "external" (an editable text file) and has a simple structure (just a set of questions plus anaswers). In doing a (mythical) export from the Quiz module using such a filter you would transform the database structures (into something a lot simpler - a flat file) and drop all the user data (for example the quiz attempts). Doing a Backup retains all that (Moodle) fine print.

Further I'm not at all sure it would be too sensible if we went down the road to allow:

Quiz Backup => Lesson Backup => Quiz Backup.

It would be possible but not very nice given the very different data structures involved. However, the cyclic path:

Quiz module => Gift questions => Lesson module=> Lesson pages => Quiz module

where Gift questions and Lesson Pages are text files seems a much more viable and useful proposition. And given the range of other filters available opens up the possibility of

{Product X} => Quiz Module => Gift questions

Then do a bit of simple editing on the Gift file, for example dropping the unwanted questions..., and read the file back into either the Quiz or Lesson modules. (And in time other Quiz-type modules.). Product X could be one of an already impressive list of "formats".

The one big plus for a set of Export filters is that I think they're much easy to write than Import filters. The first step is the addition of a set of export functions (mirror images of the import functions) in the export/ import Class...

In reply to Paul Shew

Re: import filter: GIFT (General Import Format Template)

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks, Paul!

I think, given the work you've done on this, that most people would agree you have naming rights to it, so the GIFT format it is (although I still like curly! big grin )

I've checked in your latest version to CVS and will talk to you privately about CVS access.
In reply to Paul Shew

Re: import filter: GIFT (General Import Format Technology)

by Paul Shew -
I've made another improved version -- essentially another rewrite. (Thanks to this little project, my PHP coding skills are improving too! big grin ) It now includes implementation of Numerical question-type as well.

But I have a question about the format. The Numerical question format as I've already implemented it, is similar to Henrik's multianswer format. So it looks like like this:

When was Ulysses S. Grant born?{#1922:2}
What is the value of pi (to 3 decimal places)? {#3.1415:0.0005}.

This specifies Answer:ErrorMargin.

But since Numerical questions essentially specify spans rather than a single "answer" wouldn't a better format specify the minimum and maximum of the span, like this:

When was Ulysses S. Grant born?{#1920..1925}
What is the value of pi (to 3 decimal places)? {#3.141..3.142}.

So it specifies Minimum..Maximum .

I think that the latter format is more intuitive.
Which format do you think is better?

I'm also suggesting a slight change in the name:
GIFT (General Import Format Technology)
In reply to Paul Shew

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I agree specifying a range might sometimes be easier (depending on the nature of the question), but since the GUI itself uses value + error the import format should match it for consistencies sake.

As for the name I think that expansion of the acronym is probably unnecessarily complex (and misleading, in fact, since it better describes XML) ... just your "gift" is enough, thanks Paul.  smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Paul Shew -
Yes, Martin, you're right. Expanding the acronym practically makes the name longer than the filter itself. But I wanted to sneak the word "general" into the title somewhere... wink

Anyway, it's done. It supports Multiple Choice, Short Answer, True False and Numerical, with lots of options -- some of which are not available through the browser GUI (like multiple Numerical answers). I'm already finding it useful. I hope others will too.

I had troubling trying to connect to the CVS, so I've uploaded the file here.

I'm using it with version 1.1.1. For those of you working with the developmental version of 1.2, please let me know if you have any problems with it.
In reply to Paul Shew

Re: import filter: GIFT

by Martin Dougiamas -
Have you heard the song "When the Generals Talk" by Midnight Oil?  tongueout  smile

I've checked in this latest file to CVS.

I've also fixed your CVS access ... my apologies for not doing it earlier! I hope you didn't waste too much time on it! Please try it again.

by Paul Shew -
GIFT Documentation v.1.2 in HTML.
In reply to Paul Shew

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
I can't find this splendid piece of documentation in Moodle 1.2dev. in a translatable area. I hope it will be a part of the languagemodule in 1.2 release ? (e.g. in import.html)
In reply to koen roggemans

by Paul Shew -
Please use the attached file above to start translation (gift_documentation.html v.1.2). I'll try to update this most recent version to the CVS today.

I certainly hope it makes it into the Moodle 1.2 release.

But as for putting it into a translatable area, I think we'll need Martin's help. Plus, the description needs to be seperated from the documentation into two different help files.

Paul.
In reply to Paul Shew

by Martin Dougiamas -
I'll do this - I was just waiting for the filter to stabilise (to avoid problems for translators).  Has that time come?

by Paul Shew -
Yes. I've been using it and haven't noticed any bugs. And no one has reported any to me.

The documentation is also ready to be translated. I will translate it into Japanese.

I just uploaded the latest documentation to the CVS. I proofread it before uploading it and fixed a few things, so please use the CVS version for translating.

It was my first time using CVS for a commit!big grin (And the first time in over 10 years to use vi too. mixed I'll have to figure out how to get CVS to default to pico for the log comments.)
In reply to Paul Shew

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Great, I'll start tonight for the dutch translation. From the first read, I think this is going to be a verry popular moodlefunction. Thanks cool
In reply to Paul Shew

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Paul,

Thanks very much for this GIFT. Please let us know here or on the Japanese forum when the Japanese translation is ready. Do you need any help with that?

Tim
Timothy

In reply to Paul Shew

Licence and other invisible fields in GIFT format please

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Paul,

Is there any chance of your including

1) a licence field
2) other non-used invisible fields
in the GIFT format? (or perhaps they are there already?)

By that I mean to refer to fields that are not and perhaps will never be supported by the quiz module but are included in the GIFT file.

1) A licence field might be included inside "licencelicence The licence goes here licencelince." Then one might be more inclined to offer up GIFT files to the exchange including something like "licencelicence This quiz was made by Timothy Takemoto. If you use it please credit me, ideally with a link to http://www.mydomain.com" licencelicence." Or one might use a link to any of the creative commons licences.

2)  Does GIFT support the "description" format question? When it comes to sharing things with other people then e.g. in the case of a set of comprehension questions it would be nice to be able to include the text which learners must comprehend, as a link or the text itself. Or alternatively it might be nice to include some instructions on "how to use this quiz."  Even if these were not suppported by the quiz module, it would still be nice to put them in the GIFT file, as included but un-supported text. eg.

"commentcomment This is a quiz I use for testing X commentcomment"

Perhaps such a field is supported already? I mean if I just write something at the end of a GIFT file with no {} then perhaps it will be ignored and hence we have the potential to include licences, comprehension texts, and instructions for use already?

Just an idea.

I am enjoying your GIFT.

Tim 

PS how about recommedning a new file format with its own extension e.g. myquiz.gift?

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Re: Licence and other invisible fields in GIFT format please

by Paul Shew -
Glad to hear that the GIFT format is helpful!

Actually, I think that all of your suggestions can be implemented through comments. Take a look at the example file included through the documentation. You can write any kind of comment you want, including license or description.

I use comments on all of my GIFT files to include further information about the questions, and to make subheadings for question groups. For file-naming, I use this format: filename.gift.txt. This works well on UNIX/Linux/MacOSX, but I don't know how it would work on Windows.

Paul.
In reply to Paul Shew

by Timothy Takemoto -

Sorry Paul and thank you.

Comments...I thought that had seen comments somewhere in GIFT (perhaps in the Japanese documentation) and had a look through the documentation above but I did not see them in the last documentation posted above so I presumed (incorrectly) that they were not there. But, yes, there in the CVS I have found it. ( Comment lines start with // )

Thanks. I will use that for the licence and description.

It would also be nice to have either
1) the equivalent of <!--       -->  or
2) Ideally, some way of importing "description questions"
because I would like to include the reading passage upon which the rest of the comprehension questions are based. I am not sure that you will find time to create it though. 
I am still using windows. I don't think that Windows likes dots in filenames. I am going to associate the "gift" or perhaps gft format with my text editor. I am uploading stuff to the content exchage section of English for Language teachers.

How did your demostration of Moodle for language teaching go?

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Paul Shew -
I'll look into the possibility of the "description" question.

I made a presentation about Moodle to the ESL department head and he was impressed. But I changed schools as of April 1st (moved to Aoyama Gakuin) and am now just trying to keep my head above water adusting to the new job. I've got about 700 students this semester, and they keep me pretty busy!

Paul.