Progress Bar

Progress Bar

by Little geek -
Number of replies: 118

is there a Progress Bar available in Moodle. For example, if someone has to 8 modules, is there any way to show their progress through these modules.

Perhaps an idea for development?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Little geek

Re: Progress Bar

by Ger Tielemans -

Something the same:

If students get more self-control in a Moodle, they wish to get more progress cues like they get in a normal organiser, because Moodle becomes then their course-organiser.

Then it is also logic - to help them to keep the overview-  to split between trial quizzes and all kind of exercises and assignments in the exercise sections and a special final-assigmnet&test-section that teh can visit when the like and where they can choose the final test for that part of the course:

Would be nice to get visual ques like "traffic light cue" for every quizz or assignment in that section:

• no light on, not visit yet
  • green light: passed
  • orange light try again
  • red light failed no retry

Also, if you create a test in parts - so you can hussle the questions in some test-parts and in others not, you create separate test-entries next to each other in the same section: you wish a checkmark cue for the test parts you already finished

Teachers also complain that they cannot choose in a resource the icon to indicate what type of resource it is: external glossary, external quizz, document or website.....

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Henry Gaudet -
A check next to the lesson or assignment completed would be a great visual cue!
In reply to Henry Gaudet

by Sascha Beh -
I agree, yes, that would be a good starting point. But when do you get the check for the assignment? After uploading the assignment file or when the assignment has been graded? For the lesson it's easy, I guess...

Is something like this planned or even being developed?
In reply to Little geek

by Michael de Raadt -
Hi All,

This may seem like me blowing my own horn, but you might want to check out...

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?rid=2524

Michael;
In reply to Michael de Raadt

by David Schooley -
What about a global progress bar? Any chance on that working with this block?

If not, do you (creator) mind helping me to modify your block to work globally?

David
In reply to David Schooley

by Mike Algozzine -

I think we have the same request, although we may not have the same definition of "global progress bar." We need to show students some indication of their overall status in the course, which is derived from the status of certain activities and resources.

This may not make sense as an extension of the Progress Bar block, since the block is intended as a time management tool, not a performance management tool. It does seem similar though, at least in the sense that it would allow the user to select certain activities and resources to include in the calculation. It would also need to allow the user to specify how the overall status is determined, based on the items they selected. The easiest way to incorporate that into the Progress Bar block might be to specify how many overdue items constitute an overall overdue status - one, two, more than one, half, all, etc. It would still evaluate individual items the same way, but then do a simple count to get the overall status as specified in the settings.

Beyond that, it would probably involve "levels of completeness," which would be a major design change as far as the Progress Bar block is concerned. For example, minimum quiz scores or number of forum postings, instead of just completed or not completed.

by Frédéric Hoogstoel -

Hi all,

it would be fine to be able to choose the action to complete for each activity.

Exemple given, I would like to choose the action "add entry" for the database activty module.

To be perfect, it would be better if each activity module could offer a function allowing to test the completion of the activity by a participant. Seems not easy !

Is such improvement planned in future verisons of Moodle or database activity module ?

Thnak you.

by Deb Smith -

I would like to see if this is the block I am looking for, but I can't get it to show up in my blocks.  I uploaded the progress folder to the blocks folder, where all my other blocks are uploaded to, but when I follow the procedures that I have used successfully for uploading other blocks I get nothing.  (i.e., clicking notifications, going to the course and turning on editing and adding a block -- there is no Progress listed there among the blocks to add). It also isn't showing up in the Modules/blocks folder in the admin section.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

by Mark Fraser -

This looks like a terrific block - seems just what I've been looking for but I wanted to ask how it interacts with groups and groupings on a course. We have several groups who will follow a slightly different path through the course - the activities are only made available to each relevant group. Is that the case with the progress bar configuration page?

Could I configure a different progress bar for each group within a course? Would I only see the activities available to that group on the progress bar configuration page?

Many thanks

In reply to Little geek

by Mr Rymill -
Does anyone know how can I set it so that the Progress Bar updates / changes colour when myself (the teacher) marks the work and not just when the pupil uploads it. 

Basically can I change the permissions somehow to make only myself 'write' to it / change
it and then the pupils only see it / 'read only'?

Any ideas welcome - Thanks
In reply to Little geek

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi All,

I've just posted a long-overdue update for the Progress Bar. As well as fixing a number of reported bugs, I have simplified how the block is set up.

Now completion can be based on different actions, for example, an assignment can be considered complete when it is submitted or when it is marked; SCORM activities can be considered complete after an attempt, a passing mark or full completion.

This new set-up makes it easier to add modules and alternate actions for completion.

Selecting expected dates for activities is now also easier. Pre-exisiting deadlines are used where available. When a weekly course format is used, an activity is assumed to be completed by the end of the week it is located in, and for other formats, the end of the week is used. All of these assumptions can be overridden.

I hope this makes the Progress Bar block more useful for you. You can download it from the Modules and Plugins DB.

If you find bugs or have suggestions for improvement, please report these using the tracker.

Michael;

by Michael de Raadt -

As I've just committed changes to CVS, it will take up to a day before these changes are available as a zip download.

Michael;

by Barbara Lawrence -

Hi Michael

Sorry - I did try to create a tracker issue for this but it wouldn't let me!

Although you say the Progress Bar is not supposed to be an assessment tool our staff do use it as such and LOVE it.

I would like to see options included for deciding when a quiz is "completed", preferably allowing teachers to specify a pass mark. Currently a quiz will show as "attempted" even if the student only clicks on the "attempt quiz" button and then leaves the quiz without answering a single question.

Barbara

In reply to Barbara Lawrence

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure allowing a pass mark would work, but I could add "finished" (probably a better default than attempted) and "graded" (applicable to quizzes with manual marking).

What do you think?

Michael;

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Barb.

I've added "finished" and "graded" options for quizzes. Let me know if that works for you.

Michael;

by Barbara Lawrence -

Hi Michael

Thanks for that, I do think that is an improvement. But one of our teachers (who is wildly enthusiastic about your Progress Bar and thinks it's made a huge difference to the effectiveness of his course) requires that his students get 100% in all quizzes in order to complete the course. I added a hack to your previous version to achieve that here but obviously not all teachers will want this, so I would like to give them a choice if possible.

Barbara

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Barbara.

Yes, my intention in recent versions was to make it easier to hack and I'm happy for people to do that. Please take it as yours to change as you will.

Michael;

by Martín Martínez -

Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for your great contribution.

I normally use the Progress Bar in my courses and now I install the new version, but qhen I try to configure quizzes allways appear the "attempted" action to be monitored.

What can I do to change that action to "completed" for example?

Thanks again for your contribution.

Martin.

In reply to Martín Martínez

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Martin.

Now you can select the "finished" option from the list of quiz actions in the block's configuration. In fact, for new quizzes, this will be the default.

Let me know how that works for you.

Michael;

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Martín Martínez -

Hi Michael,

The diferent list options to configure the quiz actions doesn't appears in my progress bar configuration.

I append an image of my configuration screen.

I'm using the progress bar last version.

I download it on 02/02/2011.

Thanks for your help.

Attachment progress.jpg
In reply to Martín Martínez

by Joachim Vogelgesang -

Hi Martín,

when Michael gives the information about revised block with this new function one day after your download date (02/02/2011), surely you should download again newest version, because you seem not to have.wink

hth,

Joachim

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Michael,

This block looks fantastic! Very well done!

I was just wondering if you've got any plans to update it for Moodle 2?

EDIT: Just saw you answered this question in CONTRIB-2548. Looking forward to it, I'll certainly be suggesting it to my teaching staff smile

In reply to Mark Johnson

by Michelle Jackman -

Thanks for this block, Michael. It is ALMOST just what we were looking for. smile

Do you have any plans to modify it so that teachers can also see all students' progress at a glance?

In reply to Michelle Jackman

by Kevin Lawrence -

Are there any plans to have upgrade this block for Moodle 2.0

Thanks

Kevin

In reply to Kevin Lawrence

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Kevin.

It is ready to go for Moodle 2.0.

Enjoy!

Michael;

by Flotter Totte -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Michael,

I tried to install the progress bar for moodle 2 on our Moodle 2.0.2 installation but get an error message saying the plugin (progress) is outdated. Do you know what the reason could be?

Thanks a lot.

Thorsten

In reply to Flotter Totte

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Flotter.

Could you check that you have the version for Moodle 2.0 rather than the version for Moodle 1.9?

Here is the link to the latest version.

http://download.moodle.org/download.php/plugins/blocks/progress.zip

Michael;

by Flotter Totte -

Hi Michael,

thank you  very much for your reply.

I have dowloaded the progress bar plugin via your link but unfortunately the same error message appears after I inistall it in my moodel 2.0.2. The error message is as follows:

Plugin "mod_progress" is defective or outdated, can not continue, sorry.

More information about this error

Debug info: Missing version value in version.php
Stack trace:
  • line 449 of \lib\upgradelib.php: plugin_defective_exception thrown
  • line 265 of \lib\upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins_modules()
  • line 1426 of \lib\upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins()
  • line 290 of \admin\index.php: call to upgrade_noncore()

Best Regards,

Thorsten

by Flotter Totte -

Hi Michael,

thanks again for your support -  the problem was totally on my side.  We upuloaded the code ot /mod instead of /blocks...\

Thorsten

by Djalma Novais -

Michael, congratulations on the job.

I´m use moodle 1.9.  I'm not a programmer and do not understand about code, so the question:
My courses do not have start and end dates.The time begins when the student starts individually.
I need to have the Progress Bar to work with "number of days" from the student's start date instead of calendar dates?
That is, if he started the course on 01 August,the activity adds x days (eg 10 days) and the deadline is August 10. Another student who started on August 5 deadline 15 August.
is this  possible or feasible?
Thanks,

In reply to Djalma Novais

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Djalma.

I don't know of a way to have separate course time windows for indiviual students. I recommend ordering the activities you want a student to complete, with deadlines in the far future; that way they will appear in the Progress bar in the correct order. When you do this, uncheck the "Show NOW indicator" option in the block's configuration.

Michael;

by Djalma Novais -

Tks Michael,

I think this is a good solution for the control of activities. Is a pity that I can not make the time control.

Is there a way to not see the date when I move the mouse over it?

In reply to Djalma Novais

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Djama.

If you disable the Now indicator in the confuration, this will hide the display of dates in the mouse-over display.

Michael;

In reply to Michelle Jackman

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Michelle.

It is something I have considered. Something like a page of progress bars for each student, perhaps in some kind of sortable table. What do you think?

Michael;

by William Mair -

I think it is something that most lecturers would find really useful and does allow them to keep an eye on their students at a glance

by Joachim Vogelgesang -

Hi Michael,

an overview of all progress bars would be great!

Joachim

In reply to Joachim Vogelgesang

by Michael de Raadt -

How about something like what is shown in the image below (still a work-in-progress).

Michael;

Attachment Overview.jpg

by Joachim Vogelgesang -

That's it!

Cheers,

Joachim

by Martín Martínez -

That look very well.

Michael,

Are you thinking in something like this, but for all the modules of a particular student?

Thanks a lot for your great contribution.

Martin

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Joachim and all.

I have included a Teacher Overview in the latest update of the Progress Bar block.

I have now put the new version on CSV for Moodle 2, so it will be available from the M&P entry here.

I'm confident it is working well, but it could do with some testing, so please share your feedback with me here.

Michael;

by Joachim Vogelgesang -

Hi Michael,

have you also done a Teacher Overview for 1.9.x?

Regards,

Joachim

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Joachim.

No, and I don't think I will. It was actually a significant code restructure.

Consider it my small incentive to encourage people to upgrade.

Michael;

by Ray Lawrence -

I don't think the current block does this, but if it could be configured to collate information from all courses on a per user basis when displayed on the My Home page.... The ultimate dashboard.

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by David Anderson -

I think a traffic light based all course overview is needed.

This was available via Mark Tylers Progress Block but it seams to have stopped developmenet and I can only get it working partitialy on apache and Mysql not IIS and MS-SQL which my work use sad

An overall course summary DashBoard with progress please someone, I would do it but im not a programmer and dont know PHP sad

Cheers

by Javier Varas -

Hi Michael

thanks for your fantastic contribution! It has really made a difference in our school!

About the overall progress bar available for 2.0 so that you can see all students at a glance... have you changed your mind about a 1.9.x version...clown ? We can't really update to 2.0 right now... and we have absolutely no idea how to change the code sad

Thanks again for your all your work!

by Chris Brainerd -

New patch-

Progress Bar block ships without any functionality to obey the course's Groups setting, i.e. whether Groups is set to None, Separate or Visible, the Overview report always shows all users enrolled in a course.

I've hence created a basic patch which takes the current logged-in user's group membership into consideration when it is building the list of users to include in the report. i.e. if you are in 2 groups, you see only course users from those 2 groups.

It's got some holes in it - i.e. it always respects your groups because it doesn't check the course's group setting, and if you aren't a member of any groups, I don't think you will see any users - so it's provided as a starting place for the complete functionality which respects the course's Group setting and handles the user filtering properly. (In my case, all of my courses are all Separate Groups, and everyone is in a group, so it was enough for me.)

More at http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-3161

In reply to Little geek

Changing colors of progress bar

by Flotter Totte -

Hi Michael,

I have tried to change the colors (red, blue, green) by doing the following:

1. cretated 1 pixel pics: green.gif, red.gif, blue.gif
  2. overworte the existing ones in /pics
  3. Result: colors did not change
  4. Uninstalled and Re-installed the block (including the new pics in the /pics folder
  5. Result: colors did not change

Do you have any idea what could have went wrong?

Thanks a lot...

Thorsten

Re: Changing colors of progress bar

by Dominik Jeni -

Hi Thorsten,

You need to change the colour at the bottom of the file "block_progress.php" in your language directory (.../blocks/progress/lang/[YOUR LANGUAGE])

$string['attempted_colour'] = '#33CC00';
$string['notAttempted_colour'] = '#FF3300';
$string['futureNotAttempted_colour'] = '#3366FF';

//

By the way, I also have got a question - I recently wrote Michael an email, but I guess I'll explain it here again, maybe someone experienced the same problem...

I want to use the progress bar block beside the "theme - table" of a course. The theme table contains several tests I want to monitor, seperated by topics. I would now like to add more than one progress bar...(four to six bars, each monitoring different tests)..but only the first bar at the top is working. When I delete the first bar, the second one is working and so on. I guess, I only can use ONE bar for a course...but that would be too small and confusing for 16-30 tests...

Does anyone maybe have a solution for this problem?

Thanks for every input in advance!

Greetings,

Dominik

In reply to Dominik Jeni

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Dominik.

That multi-bar issue should now be resolved in the latest release. Please let me know if it's not.

Michael;

by John Samuel -

Hi Michael! i am having some issues with this amazing block. please look at the picture i have attached it shows the progress bad veeeeerrrry small infact i can't even see it hehe i am using moodle 1.9

Any ideas ?

Attachment Untitled.jpg
In reply to John Samuel

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, John.

First, try refreshing the page while holding the shift key to bypass the browser cache. Moodle 1.9 sets a long cache life on CSS and that has caused problems in the past.

If that doesn't work, email me (michaeld@moodle.com) the source of the page from your browser so I can see if it is generating the correct HTML.

Michael;

Problem when clicking on an activity on the Progress Bar. Moodle 2.0

by Jim Cook -

GREAT work BTW.

When I click on an activity on the Progress Bar I receive "Invalid course module ID." and of course no access to the activity.

Any thoughts?

Jim

In reply to Jim Cook

Re: Problem when clicking on an activity on the Progress Bar. Moodle 2.0

by Jim Cook -

To add:  When I hover and click on a particular course on the progress it takes me to http://lp.esi911.com/mod/scorm/view.php?id=45, when it shoudl take me to http://lp.esi911.com/mod/scorm/view.php?id=143.  It appears it is getting the ID number from the wrong table???  Now that I said that, let me see if I can fix it.  If anyone else finds the solution before I do please post.

Jim

In reply to Jim Cook

by Jim Cook -

I figured out that the hover-over information is displaying the INSTANCE field information from the course_modules table which does not bring up the proper page.  It needs to be pulling information from the ID field in the same table.  Not being a DBA I am having a hard time locating the offending line of code.

In reply to Jim Cook

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Jim.

Thanks for reporting that. I'll check it out.

Michael;

by Ali Hastie -

Hi Michael

Totally love this block!

When I click on a activity/resource link within the block and on the 'Overview of students' page I receive 'Invalid course module ID' error for all links within Moodle 2.0.2.

Also when I go to 'Configuring a progress bar' page I am presented with the Stop running this script prompt stating that a script on this page is causing your web browser to run slowly. and it does run slowly but gets there.

I have some questions/feature requests, apologies for posting here.

1. Is there any way we could provide a link for the student similar to the 'Overview of students' so that they can view their own progress overview page? Its mainly the progress percentage we would like them to view.
  2. Also within the 'Overview of students' page, could the colour coding coincide with their progress? for example, green, blue then red rather than staggered.
  3. Do you have plans to allow the students to include the block(s) within their 'My' Moodle area? Would be nice where the students could select which courses they can select to be included within their 'My' areas to track their progress.
  4. I know that when we go to 'Configuring a progress bar' page the activities/resources are within alphabetical order. Could it possibly be set up so that the Monitoring activities/resources be displayed as they are within the course?

Many thanks,

Ali

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Ali and Jim.

I've corrected the problem that was sending users to the wrong activity/resource. The new version has been added to CVS and should be available via the zip download within 24 hours.

Ali: thanks for commenting on the block and suggesting improvements.

Your note about the JavaScript taking a while to load is interesting. The block doesn't add any JS to the config page. I don't exerience any delay when I load this page. As the scripts are delay, can you see 1) none of the activities/resources, 2) activities/resources slowly appearing, or 3) all of the activities/resources?

It could be possible for students to be able see the overview page. At present the block shows the overview page link after checking the "moodle/course:update" capability. A new capability could be created for the block and then that capability could be overwritten in role permissions. Alternately, there could be an option in the block configuration that allows teachers to show the overview to their students. Feel free to try changing that, if you wish. I think I'd need to reflect on the wisdom of doing that before unleashing it on the world.

In terms of colour coding the percentage, how would you define the colours used to relate to overall progress?

The progress bar can only reside in a course page because the progress is measured in relation to the activities/resource use in a course.

Ordering the activities/resources by how they appear in the course page is a logical thing to do. I'll look into that.

Michael;

Problem with ordering the activities/resources on the progress bar

by Marco Dalostto -
Hi Michael!

First I wanna say that the progress block are fantastic!... Really helps a lot!

There's just one thing I could understand... The order of the activities/resources on the progress bar don't match with the sequence of my activities/resources on my structure's course. Why?!

Can you help me with this little problem?

Sorry about the bad english...

Thanks a lot!
In reply to Marco Dalostto

Re: Problem with ordering the activities/resources on the progress bar

by Daniel Wright -

Thanks for posting this Marco, as I was wondering the same thing.  I installed the Progress Bar block yesterday in my Moodle 2.0.2 instance and really like it overall.  I wondered how to arrange the sequence of the tracked items.

I also wonder if it is possible to make the "expected by" date on tracked items optional?  Many of my courses are self-paced, so the idea of an expected completion date is irrelevant for most of the items in a course, but I would still like to show the student his or her progress.

Thinking about these two requests together, if we make "expected by" optional, that would mean that we would need some other means of ordering the tracked items.

By the way Marco, I thought your English was quite good!

Thanks Michael for the great work on this block.

Dan

In reply to Daniel Wright

by Marco Dalostto -
Hi Daniel!
First... thanks for the "quite good"!...
This behavior of the progress bar is very stranger. I tried to do everything and didn't get the order made on the course list.
One thing must be confirmed: My progress bar puts the quizes first and the resourses after... for you are the same?!
Thanks!
Marco.
In reply to Marco Dalostto

by Daniel Wright -

Marco - yes, this is behavior I am seeing, with just one exception.  I have one "page" resource that is in among the quiz activities.  All of the "file" resources are after the quizzes.  I am not seeing any other pattern to the ordering.  All items are set to the same "Expected by" date.

Michael, your comment about ordering these as they appear in the course seems perfectly logical to me.

Thanks,

Dan

In reply to Daniel Wright

by Daniel Wright -

Michael - I see now that I can work around the date issue by setting the NOW arrow to "no" and setting expected completion dates far in the future.  Sorry I didn't pickup on that earlier.

One thing you might consider is integrating this with any expected completion dates that have been set in the Activity Completion settings for each resource/activity.

Also, I think your idea about ordering each item according to where it appears in the course makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks,
Dan

by Dominik Jeni -

Hi Michael,

thank you very much for your great work, it's now performing properly. But there's one last thing I would like to ask: The new version aligns the title (I've got long titles across two lines) always in "center" instead of "left", is it possible for me to change that easily (change a string or something like that)?

Have a nice and sunny weekend.

Dominik

In reply to Dominik Jeni

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Dominik.

Have a look in the CSS file in the block directory. You should be able to change the alignment there.

Michael;

by Dominik Jeni -

Hi Michael,

thanks for your hint, it was even the first entry... sometimes it's easier than you think wink

Dominik

by John Samuel -

Hi Michael,

Can we set the progress bar "expected by" to the course expiry date?

Thank you so much!

In reply to John Samuel

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, John.

You can do this manually in the block's configuration page.

One thing that I am currently changing is the display of the "expected by" date. If the NOW arrow is hidden, this date will no longer be displayed. This will help people using the progress bar in indefininte courses.

Michael;

by John Samuel -

is this task done yet? because i really think that i don't need the EXPECTED BY " part at all.

In reply to John Samuel

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, John.

Yes, that change is in the latest release.

Let me know if it fulfills your needs.

Michael;

by John Samuel -

Hi Michael, keep up the good work! thank you so much for this amazing job.

Did you finish that new update that you mentioned before which include getting rid of the "expected by" ?

In reply to John Samuel

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, John.

Yes, that functionality is in the latest release.

If you hide the NOW indicator, the "expected by" dates are also hidden.

Michael;

by John Samuel -

Wow Grea Job, just out of my curiosity ? is the latest release out yet ?

i tried the one posted on here for moodle 1.9 but getting rid of NOW doesn't get rid of the expected time yet. so i am assuming that this is not the latest release.

Oh Hey Let me thank you very much for this Wicked job Michael!

Greetings from Ontario

In reply to John Samuel

by John Samuel -

Hiding the option ' NOW' doesn't hide the EXPECTED :  part.

i am using 1.9.12  could anyone help please.

Thank you

In reply to Dominik Jeni

by Flotter Totte -

Hi Dominik,

thank you very much for this hint! I tried it and it works perfet! Sorry for my late reply!

Greetings,

Thorsten

by John Samuel -

I reallyyy help you can re-think of getting the teacher view done for moodle 1.9 or at least a report of all progress bars inside a coure and that would do it ! alot of people use 1.9 because of all the handy plugins 1.9 has and not moodle 2.

At the same time we all like your plugin so much !

so please decide ! hehe

In reply to John Samuel

by Patrick Bourne -

Hi All,

Not sure if this is an appropriate place to ask this, but I'm so close to getting the Progress Bar just the way I'd like it...

Running Moodle 1.9, I'd like the progress bar to monitor 9 SCORMS (2004), marking them as 'green' once they have been taken and the candidate has 66% or more. I have put this as the pass rate in the SCORM (Articulate Quiz), selected 'Passed' as the option in the Progress block - but it stays blue....

Also tried 'completed', getting 100% in the SCORM and as many variations as I can think of, but the only SCORM event that I can get it to register is 'Attempted'.

Any advice, suggestion or comment very much appreciated smile

Thanks smile

Patrick

In reply to Patrick Bourne

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Patrick.

Sorry, I missed your message earlier.

I think there was a change in the database structure related to the SCORM module and how it records completeness. This happened with one of the 1.9 releases. In my latests release I've tried to accommodate both the old and new structures based on what people have reported.

As I don't have much experience with SCORM myself, I'd appreciate feedback on these changes. The key to getting the status to change to completed is the list of queries in common.php (for 1.9) and now lib.php (in 2.X). Tweeking these allows you to customise the levels monitored by the Progress Bar block. I welcome suggestions for adding or altering queries to this list by email to michaeld@moodle.com.

Michael;

In reply to Little geek

by Flotter Totte -

Hi Michael,

I recently had the idea for an extension of your really great progress bar block: the idea is to provide the learner with a block, where the progress of all (own) courses can be seen. I would look similar like the overview for teachers...

... just that now the learner would get an overview of the progress of all own/ enrolled courses.

Where it would make sense to add such block is on the myMoodle page.

What do you think of this idea?

Greetings,

Thorsten

by Flotter Totte -

Hi all,

is someone interested in providing learnters an overview of all their courses, including the related progress? I mean a combination of the "course overview" block and the progress bar block. I could like this:

Thorsten

by Oguz Konya -

Flotter,

I was looking for something like that for a project of mine, so I started looking through the course overview block. I found out that this block uses a function in moodle\course\lib.php to output the course list. So that means, if you want to integrate progress bar to course overview, you need to change some core code. It would be OK, but with the next upgrade you would loose all the changes you have done.

Basically, it is not the easy or proper way to do. But there is still a solution: you can write your own course overview block which does not use a core function.

So now, I am going to start writing such block, because it is mandatory for my project. I will let you know the result, and if I can actually do it, I will post the block here.

In reply to Oguz Konya

by Flotter Totte -

Hi Oguz,

thanks for your reply.

Maybe the following is interesting for you: I have found another mod called "checklist" (http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=3582&filter=1 ).

For my purpose this mod fits even better as it can structure the progress bar based on the topic sections of a course.

This mod also lets such bars appear on the /my page while not changing core code ( I think).

In case you go on with this progress bar here, I am still very much interested in your development.

Thanks smile

Flotter

by Oguz Konya -

Well, this is not exactly what I look for. I need the block to keep track of activities in courses (which are all SCORM activities in our project) without assigning a checklist. I don't want the teacher or course manager to do the extra work, they should only upload SCORM packages and that's it.

For now, I am one step away from the solution, I copied the course overview block and wrote a new piece of code to show courses. I only have to implement the progress bar function to my new piece of code. I have changed some variables (such as $COURSE->id, because I don't use global $COURSE variable now, because the block is not in a course) and functions (so that they can use my own $courseid variable not $COURSE->id). But it still seems to have some problems. I don't know what I am missing, but I should look deeper.

edit: OK I at least got this for each course: No activities or resources are being monitored. Use config to set up monitoring. And more, I have found what I was missing: edit_form.php. I have been ignoring this php file because I was thinking that I could write one anyway, but then I figured; progress bar is configured for each course separately and it will require some work to convert it from one course configuration to multiple course configuration. I need to think more.

In reply to Oguz Konya

by Flotter Totte -

Hi,

First of all I would like to mention that my intention is not to stop you working on the progress bar and use instead the checklist mod (I want to mention this especially towards Michael). I really think the progress bar is great and I respect a lot the development and support work of Michael. Therefore I really  hope he does not dislike my comments here regarding progress bar vs. checklist. Maybe there is a way to combine these two mods in the future? (in terms of development/support).

Regarding the checklist mod, you wrote that "I don't want the teacher or course manager to do the extra work, they should only upload SCORM packages and that's it.".

Yes, this is possible with the checklist mod. You just must set the settings in the right way. Then the block will automatically update (and you can make the setting if either also students/teachers can update or if this shoudl happen 100% automatically).

If I understand it right there is a difference in the way how the two modules update: checklist needs the cron job and updates in the background, progress bar not.

Greetings,

Flotter.

by Oguz Konya -

I didn't want to mean that you are trying to make me stop working on progress bar, sorry about that if I made you think like thatsmile I just like progress bar and I want to make it work with course overview block. But I think it's a dead end, although it seems to work, I cannot configure it properly so that it keeps track of the progress.

That's way I am going to check that checklist block, I hope it works the way I need.

In reply to Oguz Konya

by Flotter Totte -

No, you did not make me think like that, on your side all fine smile

How did you proceed?

by Oguz Konya -

OK, I have spent this week combining progress bar with course overview, because checklist is not the thing I am looking for. But I have failed, so, I have written my own block. Basically it is the course overview block's itself, but I have modified it so it can print courses the way I want. Then I have put a colorful bar where the student can see their progress. It looks like something like this for now:

My own course overview block

Next step is improving this bad looking block and add more functionality. It can only show the completion percentage for now, but I will try to add Progress Bar's javascript to it. If I can't, well, you know the drill, I will write my ownsmile

by Oguz Konya -

OK, new screenshot:

Now it shows summary and quizzes if you have any. Completed activities are green, missed activities are red and activities that doesn't have "availableuntil" or completed yet are orange. I will try to improve it, but I am working on other projects (which are more important than this) and frankly, our tester said that this is enough, we don't need to improve it further more, so I might stop here. If you want it this way or want to improve it yourself, I attached a copy (it works with 2.1.1), but bewarned; coding is not at its best and block itself is not yet fully complete; it doesn't have javascript or configuration, and moreover it might cause problems. It is working fine on my development machine and the client's server, but still, it is not my responsibility if you blow up your Moodle.

In reply to Oguz Konya

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Oguz.

It looks like you are having fun developing this. Keep it up!

One minor observation is that there is not much contrast between red and orange and people with colour-blindness may require other cues to distinguish completion.

Michael;

by Luis Antonio Galindo Castro -

Sorry for the question, but...

Where are stored $this->config->{'monitor_'.$module.$event->id} and $this->config->{'action_'.$module.$event->id} in Moodle 1.9?

I mean, wanna pre-proccess that info, but i don't know where is stored.

by Oguz Konya -

Yeah, you are right. Well, you see, I am a programmer with very bad design skills and most of the time I can't see that kind of stuff smile. Thanks for the feedback, I will change the tone of orange.

In reply to Little geek

by Peter Müller -

First of all thanks for this fantastic plugin, I´m using it in all my courses. smile

Unfortunately the plugin stopped working. After importing a course with an activated progress-bar-block on a new server I keep getting this error message when trying to call the "Overview of students": Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: required_param() requires $parname and $type to be specified (parameter: id) Any idea how I can fix this? I already deleted the plugin an reinstalled it, but the error still persists. I´m using Moodle 2.2 (Build: 20111205)

In reply to Peter Müller

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Peter and all.

This issue has now been fixed, along with a few others.

Feel free to grab the latest version from...

http://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=block_progress

Michael d;

by llywelyn morgan -

Extremely useful block for our Welsh Baccalaureate course.

I know that this has already been discussed regarding quizzes but could it also be made possible for an assignment to be set as submitted/moderated/passed?  This would enable students who have submitted work know if they have to collect work that has been moderated and needs amending.

Secondly, could a group drop down menu be added to the overview page?

Thanks for the great work.  Much appreciated.

In reply to llywelyn morgan

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, llywelyn.

Thanks for your feedback.

At present assignents can be checked for being submitted or marked. Passed is always a relative idea that can't be measured objectively for everyone. I'm not sure how you would measure "moderated". I've tried to make adding and modifying queries for completion as easy as possible. You might want to look at the lib.php file in the block's directory and add a new query there. If you come up with something that may be of use to others, send it my way.

Adding group functionality would be useful. Can you please create an "Improvement" issue in the tracker to suggest this?

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB/component/10489

by llywelyn morgan -

Perhaps a dropdown menu could be placed which specifies what constitutes a passed piece of work e.g. percentages?

I have created an improvement tracker as requested.  Would be great if this could be achieved.

Thanks again Michael. smile

by Enosha Hettiarachchi -

Hi Michael,
First of all a great block and thank you very much for it smile

I recently came across this and installed it in my course and it works perfectly.

I want to add more functionally into it, mostly to benefit the students. Therefore I am wondering how this can be done. Here is what I want to achieve...

1. Just as "NOW", how can I add another placeholder to show the mean of the course (here what I want to show the average of the students in the course)

2. Another placeholder to show, where the particular student is in the course.

3. For the progress of the quizzes, when the student mouse over it to show the feedback they have obtained together with marks and time taken.

4. Overall progress with a percentage.

Any ideas are welcome smile

In reply to Enosha Hettiarachchi

by David Hoeffel -

Hi Michael and everybody,

The progress block is an awesome idea, and it really helps students and teachers out! Bravo Michael! smile

I'm about to implement this block on our Moodle, but I have some questions concerning issues I've had.

-----------------------------

Here are my "problems" :

-After we've added the progress bar block to a course, we need to configure it first for the activities to be 'followed' in the progress block. (can't we automate this step by default ?)

-When a teacher adds a new activity in a course after the progress block is already in function, he/she has to manually re-configure the block, say "followed = yes" (for the new activity) and press save.

-------------------------------

I was wondering if all that could be automated so that each time a teacher adds an activity, he/she doesn't need to reconfigure the progress block each time, to have an updated visual. That would be really time-saving!

I hope i'll get an answer on this. Big thanks for your help!

Cheers,

David

P.S. : If anybody knows where I can get the code behind the "save" button at the bottom of the progress bar block configuration page (when I click on "Configure") I'd be grateful =)

In reply to David Hoeffel

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, David.

I suppose it could be possible to automatically add items to be monitored. Could you add an issue in the tracker for this? If you'd like to help with the solution that would be good. I wonder if people would prefer this more than setting up the block manually? Perhaps instead of this the instructor could be given an option to add all activities in the course when the block is blank.

How would a new activitiy be distinguished from one that has been unselected from the block's configuration? Perhaps the configuration could include its modified time and look for activities/resources that have been created since then.

It's worth some thought.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by David Hoeffel -

Hi Michael and thanks for your quick answer.

Yes, it'd be interessting if all the course activities would be monitored by default, so that when we add the "progress bar block", the activities and the bar pop right up in the newly created block.

Block modification would still be available, to give the ability to manage followed activities or not. Another option like "follow all activities" and "stop following all activities" could be added in case the default presets are not fitting for the user. (for a global/quick modification if there are a lot of activities listed)

I also think it could be a good idea to include modified time for activities, and perhaps add a background color change for each recently added activity on the edit block view.

-------

I noticed something recently that I wanted to point out : some assignments can be marked in students' gradebooks without having a mark in the "mdl_assignment_submissions" table. (actually that's the case on the Moodle i'm working on http://moodle.cifad.ca/ - see screenshot below). Therefore I would privilege a check in the grade_grades table for the "marked" state. I made that modification for our Moodle, and it seems to be working ok .

Thanks again for this wonderful block,

Cheers,

David.

In reply to David Hoeffel

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, David.

Could you write your request up as in improvement issue? Could you report your bug also? It would be good to see your SQL change.

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Enosha.

Thanks for your interest in the block. Your ideas sound interesting and potentially useful. I'd like to see how you go with that.

The function that outputs a single progress bar is found in the block's lib.php file.

Calculating averages and relative positions might create a bit of load on Moodle, but it could be done.

To place multiple "NOW" indicators you might have to move away from the simple table based model I've used.

The block tries to be generic towards all activities it can recognise, but you could add additional output for specific activities.

Good luck with that.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the reply.

Can you please tell me what can I do to show the overall progress for each student in the block based on the activities they have completed (like it is dispalyed in the teachers view for overview page)

Also for each activity (eg: quiz), how to display the overall feedback they have obtained if they have attempted the quiz.

Thank you very much

Enosha

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Enosha.

Unfortunately this is not possible. Students will see their own progress in the block and so will the teacher. The Overview page is the only place a teacher can see their students progress bars.

Hi Michael,

At least is it possible to show the percentage based on the activities attempted, as a statement in the block for each student to see.

And what Boris Puhanic mentioned in his post seems interesting too.

Thank you

Enosha

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Enosha.

Displaying an overall percentage based on the number of activities in the bar is possible. Someone promised to create an issue in the tracker for that.

Hi Michael,

I looked into the tracker but couldn't find it. Is it possible to create a new tracker for this?

Thank you

In reply to Little geek

by Boris Puhanic -

I would like the Progress Bar block plugin to show the grade for each activity inside the little boxes.  I'm not a programmer and only know a little bit of PHP, so I can only simply guess that I'd need to extract the grades from the database somehow and then somehow echo them into the cells which make the boxes - how do I do this?

In reply to Boris Puhanic

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Boris.

Thanks for your suggestion.

If I were to do this, I would add a query to each module that supported grading in the lib.php file (separate to the one that checks for completion). When producing each progress bar cell, the code could check if the query is present for the current module and run it if it is, grabbing the result and printing it in the bar.

I'd imagine that the bar would become very cramped with this additional information, and I believe it would reduce the simplicity of the current bar. Perhaps instead of showing the grade in the bar cells, it could appear in the information shown when the user mouses over each cell.

by Saro S -

Hi Michael

Like everyone, I wanted to say a big thank you for the Progress block. It is a huge success in my course development. However I still have one query which I am unable to find a solution unless I am missing something..is there a way to to make the activities appear in the order it is given in the course topics or way to move them around in the Progress bar edit part to make a logical order?

Thanks

In reply to Boris Puhanic

Hi Boris,

Were you able to show the grade for each activity in the progress bar block?

Best Regards

by Boris Puhanic -

Hi Enosha,

haven't had time to look into it much, yet.  Soon maybe, though... within the next couple of weeks, I'll try to get something working.  But as I think I mentioned, I'm not an expert so I'm not sure how successful I'll be. I'll let you know.