Calendar, Reminders and Messages

Calendar, Reminders and Messages

by Mike Churchward -
Number of replies: 57
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I posted this in the General Developers forum, but I probably should have posted here.

Is there any plans (developments / already existing features) that would allow us to insert events into the calendar for a user/group/course with a reminder flag and period? The reminder would then use the messaging system (if available) or email to send the event reminder to the user(s).

Does it already exist?

mike
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Churchward

Re: Calendar, Reminders and Messages

by John Papaioannou -
Hi Mike,

First off, sorry for missing your earlier post on General Dev. mixed

To answer the question, there is currently no support for reminders (I 'm sure there is a feature request in the tracker somewhere that specifically asks for it though). And since I 'm on my way to boot camp, there are no plans either AFAIK.

Jon
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Mike Churchward -
Thanks Jon -

We're developing one for a client, so I wanted to make sure we weren't duplicating effort. I'll make sure we provide it when we're done.

mike
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Hi Mike,

I was wondering if there was any udate on this functionality.

Thanks
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Mike Churchward -
Hi Chardelle -

We have completed a code addition that allows for reminders to be set on calendar events and sent via the messaging system. I have to etxract it from some other code that was dones that was very specific, but I will try and get that available for you.

My apologies for not being very responsive - its been a very busy year!

mike

by Chardelle Busch -
That would be fantastic Mike.  I look forward to it.  And, I'm glad you've gotten soooo busy--congrats!

by Paul 'Fire' Preibisch -
I have used Moodle to set up a family website for my family, and having a reminder system for the calendar would be great!  Any progress on this?

Cheers!
In reply to Paul 'Fire' Preibisch

by Jason Hando -
Any progress on this?

I have set some deadlines for students to study by and would love a reminder to be sent via message or email one day before deadline.

Cheers,

Jason

by Marie Bowie -
Has there been any progress on this enhancement? I also would like to be able to send reminders. Thanks!
In reply to Marie Bowie

by Mike Churchward -
My apologies everyone...

I have finally placed our code in the CVS contrib. Note that this is a 'patch', meaning that core code of Moodle must be modified for this to work - in particular backup and restore libraries and calendar functions.

The version provided is for 1.7 and above. It is located on the HEAD and MOODLE_17_STABLE branch of the contrib CVS in 'contrib/patches/calendar_event_reminders'. There are also 'patch' files there for the technically proficient who would rather apply the changes we did to their own files. The patches are against the latest version of 1.7.1+ (2006101011).

A reminder that this is UNSUPPORTED code, and must be used at your own risk. I would highly recommend testing it on non-production servers before even considering using it on a production site.

I will also add this to the database of downloads.

mike

by Julian Ridden -

Thanks Mike. As always, brilliant stuff smile

I have prepared patched code for Moodle 1.8 as it has now been released. If you want to have this code in 1.8 just upload the following files into your moodle root.

Click here to download

Julian

In reply to Julian Ridden

by Mike Churchward -
Hi Julian -

I have placed your code in the MOODLE_18_STABLE branch of contrib and updated the database entry to have a link for it.

Thanks.

by Juan Marín -
In my 1.7 installation works perfectly.

Thanks.

In reply to Juan Marín

by Juan Marín -
And my small contribution (event_reminder.php in spanish)wink

(recomended to put inside your local data folder in moodledata/lang/)
In reply to Juan Marín

by Mike Churchward -
Added to CVS.

by Juan Marín -
but some advise must be added. (report a ¿bug?)

the event_reminder.php file would be instaled in moodle/lang/en_utf8. Otherwise it make crash all the mail notifcations of the server
For example, I edited a blank event.reminder.php in my moodledata/lang/es_es_utf8_local. After this, all the mail notifications -forums posts, events,...- failed. I solve the problem erasing the file in my local lang folder and putting it in moodle/lang -previously I renamed the english version to event_reminder_original.php -. This is a bad procedure because will be overwrited when I'll upgrade the system, but it was the only quick solution that i have found.

Pd: I add now a bit improved spanish version (line breaks like the original in english)
In reply to Juan Marín

by Mike Churchward -
Juan -

Shouldn't the language file be in '/lang/es_utf8' ?

by Juan Marín -
Probably... but I am afraid it may cause problems. In theory, it would be placed in any lang folder (either moodledata/lang/es_utf8 or moodledata/lang/es_utf8_local). But, in practice, I don't know the reason why if it is placed in moodledata/lang/es_utf_local the mail sending of the whole system crashes (maybe relative paths in any procedure where changed and the system hangs looking for the next file needed in the wrong path).
If I put it in moodle/lang/en_utf8 all performs perfect... Now i have only my production site with moodle 1.7.2 (my test system is now running with other version) so I don't want to make more proofs in the production site (if it doesn't work i would lost the mail for forum post during some time).

Summarizing:
  • using local language folders for event_reminder.php file--> don't work
  • Using official non-english languages folder (like es_utf8 in moodledat/lang) for the event_reminder.php file --> maybe works, maybe doesn't work . It would be tested (When I have a test system in 1.7 again, I would be test myself)
In reply to Juan Marín

by Mike Churchward -
Juan -

The official language folders must work. That's what they're designed for. I'm not sure why the local folders don't work, unless the code only checks for known language files. In any case, I've included it in the '/lang/es_utf8' folder in the download.

mike

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -

Hello Mike, you have:

Download latest version
Download for Moodle 1.8
Download for Moodle 1.7

Is the latest version tested with 1.8 or 1.9?

Thanks.

Tieku

by Scott Lewis -

I am confused which patch I download for version 1.8. I have loaded the patch 3 times from different links and each time I get the pesky blank screen when I try to create a New event. The patch in the database from the link for 1.8 has a readme file that refers to 1.5. Would someone please provide a link to a patch that has actually worked for them to add calendar reminders for version 1.8 ?

Thank you.

In reply to Scott Lewis

by Tara M -
I'm having the same problem with the blank screen. Does anybody have a solution?

by Juan Marín -
I have one doubt:

>The reminder would then use the messaging system (if available) or email to send the event reminder to the user(s).

I have the messaging system activate and the reminders are sended as messages. is possible to receive the reminders as emails? (¿for example, hiden the messages system in the server?).

moreover. I set my messages preferences to sen messages by email if i don't connect to the server in 30 minutes... (it worked in the past, but now, with remainder instaled, no messages are forwarded as email anymore)

problem with root mail account.Re: Calendar, Reminders and Messages

by Juan Marín -
I observed an undesirable behaviour in calendar-event-remainder.

Each event remainder is sent (via mail) to all the participants in the event/course. That is OK. But a mail is sending to a "root@smtp.domain" too.

"smtp.domain" is the smtp server of my moodle site, but I (the admin of moodle) am not the root /admin of the Smtp.domain).

The addres root@smtp.domain doesn't exist in my users database and seems to be added "automatically" by the event-reminder. The problem is that the mail adminsitrators of my university are receibing a bulk of menssages (Spam for them).

¿How could I dissable this address form the list of recipients?
In reply to Juan Marín

Re: problem with root mail account.Re: Calendar, Reminders and Messages

by Juan Marín -
Probably the problem arose because the moodle creates an guesst account with
the addres root@localhost. And this address is added to all the event-remainders mailed.

I found the addres editing the suscription to forums (this account appear in the list, of possible users to suscribe in the forums -but it couldn't be added to the forum suscribed list-)

This address is created automatically and I couldnt delete or change as admin in moodle (probably I could do it hacking the mysql tables)

by Robert Jones -

When I what to add an event all I receive is blank page, nothing shows.  My url in the address bar displays:

http://***/calendar/event.php?action=new&course=2

In reply to Robert Jones

by Chardelle Busch -
A couple of weeks ago, I added minutes to the reminder code (so reminders can be set to go out minutes before an event). I don't think Mike has added this to cvs, so if you want to test it, replace these two files of the reminder code. NOTE: these are 1.8 files.
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Michael Russell -
Thanks so much for those two files! They fixed my "blank new event" problem!
In reply to Michael Russell

Calendar Event Reminder on Moodle 1.8.3

by giacomo gensini -
hello,
I have a problem in Moodle 1.8.3 regarding Calendar Event Reminder.

I have read this forum but it is not clear to me which steps I have to do to have this "hack" working properly on my moodle. I've done this.
  1. downloaded the 1.8 version
  2. unzipped it on moodle root
  3. upgraded the tables

but

as I try to add an event It appears a black page...
I have read that this has happened to some of the participants of this thread but I can't find the solution.
I guess that this hack is working on some 1.8 moodle.
Can anyone give me some advices about this problem?
Thanks
smile
Giac

In reply to Robert Jones

by Sativa Huang -

When I click New Event, the webpage goes blank. Any idea? Thanks.

In reply to Sativa Huang

by kiran solanki -
I get the same problem. Try to add an event and error message: 'website can not display this page'
This is the link it goes to:
http://********/calendar/event.php?action=new&course=0&cal_m=12&cal_y=2007

Any resolutions, i am using moodle 1.8.3+

by Jeroen Kleijn -

I installed the files

get the following error

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare xmldb_block_calendar_upcoming_upgrade()

by Myrrh Lynn -
Has any progress been made on this? This should really be a standard feature on the moodle calendar just like on other online calendars such as google, yahoo, bravenet, etc.

I have 1.9+ and NEED this feature desperately.

Could someone check into this and make sure all the download links are up-to-date so those of us who are NOT tech-savvy can use it?

Thanks to all.

by Juan Marín -
The latest version semms to be for 1.8 (the files are from April/March 2007). It is hard to believe that it works fine in 1.9.1 (perhaps it works, but perhaps not. But I dont' want to risk and probe it, because this plug-in changes several core files).
Mike, Are you wrking on a 1.9.1 version?

Could we do anything to promote remainder to the CORE 2.0? (i think it is an essential feature)

by Jen Cole -
This plugin definitely does not work with 1.9+. We just tried it and got the following error:
Version mismatch: block calendar_upcoming can't downgrade 2007101509 -> 2004052601!

...And it totally broke the calendar. Thankfully we had been smart enough to make a snapshot just before testing.smile

by Michael Custer -

Any progress on this for 1.9 ???

In reply to Michael Custer

Changes For 1.9

by Douglas Hough -

Don't know if this helps but I have made some changes to some of the files in the 1.8 patch in an attempt to get this to work with version 1.9 over the last few months.  I don't have much programming knowledge and it is still not completely working but I have overcome the add event, edit event pages etc not working so they now behave normally and the the reminders entered seem to get written to my database fine.

The only problem I know of (though it is a big one) is that the reminders don't seem to get sent when the cron task is run hence they don't get sent out.  I don't know where this would need setting up in the moodle code or how to do it so if someone can solve that it should be running fine!

I have uploaded a zip containing all my current version of the root/calendar folder files to assist anyone.

In reply to Douglas Hough

Re: Changes For 1.9

by Douglas Hough -

Had a breakthrough and now it all seems to be working fine on my setup.  I have changed root/admin/cron.php to the file attached and now the reminders get mailed out fine.

Summary of how I got this working with version 1.9 (I'm sure someone who knows more than me can simplify this or publish a new release):

1. Install the calendar event reminder v1.8 files onto server.
  2. Install the original Moodle V1.9 versions of all files to overwrite those that occur in both installations.
  3. Overwrite the root/calendar folder with the files in the .zip file I previously uploaded (previous message).
  4. Overwrite root/admin/cron.php with the file attached to this message.

Good luck in using this really useful patch with version 1.9

by moodle user -
Isn't there an easier way to have a event-reminder-function for my moodle sites (1.8.6 and 1.9.2+)?

I have the same problem with the white new-event-pages as the other guys and I am not really lucky with your instructions. I don't won't to edit my whole moodle-site...

I hope the developers hear our cries for a reminder-function!
(As I saw in the forums: We are crying since 2004!!!)

WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!!

Greetings

by Robin Berthold -
I did everything you told...
I can see a very nice riminder field within the calender.
Unfortunately it isn't sent out per mail...nor per moodle message...
Why?
Have you got an idea?
Grretings from Berlin
Robin
In reply to Robin Berthold

by Steve Bilton -
Hi Guys,

This may help those of you that are having problems getting the event reminder to work properly.

If you replace the files event.php and reminderlib.php from Chardelle Busch's minute.zip patch the version for 1.8 works!!

Download and use this patch instead : http://moodle.org/file.php/5/moddata/forum/345/357022/minutes.zip

Thanks Chardelle!!
In reply to Steve Bilton

by alan murtagh -
Hi
I tried this and it almost works great but it just won't send out any emails
I'm using 1.93
Just wondering if anbody has managed to get this great feature to work in 1.93
Best
Alan
In reply to alan murtagh

by Robin Berthold -
I have the same problem:
everything looks fine, but no emails are sent out...

There are several steps discribed to manage this...perhaps some steps ars not required???
I don't know...
Best
Robin
In reply to Steve Bilton

by Steve Bilton -
I discovered that the restore function no longer works using this patch. ALL else works fine on a 1.8.4

I can't restore any courses to my moodle.

To get around the problem I simply restore the backup of restore.php, course restore fine.

I will test this on a 1.8.8 very shortly and update if I have any issues.

If the restore function does not work on the 1.8.8 I will look in the code and see if i can figure where it's all going wrong.

Steve
www.sheilds-elearning.co.uk

In reply to Steve Bilton

by Linda Erzah -

have you ever found the solution to this problem. i am looking for an event reminder when i saw this forum but I am not sure what to do at this point.

Please help!

In reply to Michael Custer

by Tomas Östling -

Hi al

A year since the last post, and I'm a bit curious if I could consider this solution  safe and sound?

Also, we need an expiration date on our certificates (12 oe 24 months). 30 or 690 days before a users certificate is expiring, I would like an automatic mail to be sent to the users reminding them to book a new course/exam.

Anyone?

wbr

/tomas

In reply to Tomas Östling

Re: Calendar Event Reminder System module - 1.9 version?

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi there (hopefully Mike!)

A question has been asked in another forum if a module is available to send email messages for calendar events. Is this patch available for 1.9 / 2.0?

Cheers
Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Susana Caixinha -

Hello,

Does anyone knows if this is working for 1.9??

Thanks a lot

Susana

In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by John Anderson -

Hi folks,

Yes, was wondering if this is ok for 1.9 as well? Anybody using it with 1.9?

In reply to John Anderson

by Mike Jackson -

I am also wondering if this works with 1.9.6 or 2.0?

In reply to Mike Jackson

by Giliane Marty -

Hi,

Does anyone knows if this is working for 1.9.10 ?

Thanks

Giliane

In reply to Tomas Östling

by jj v -

Tomas

I need the same thing you asked for badly!

...we need an expiration date on our certificates (12 oe 24 months). 30 or 690 days before a users certificate is expiring, I would like an automatic mail to be sent to the users reminding them to book a new course/exam...

Any news?

regards

JaapJan

by José Ángel Polo -

Any news about event calendar reminder for 1.9?

JA