Moodle and OpenCourseWare

Moodle and OpenCourseWare

by John Dehlin -
Number of replies: 18
My name is John Dehlin, and I am a member of the OpenCourseWare (OCW) consortium (along w/ MIT, Johns Hopkins, etc.).  For those of you who haven't heard, the OCW Consortium has been established to help promote the promulgation of OCW sites worldwide.  I currently word at Utah State University, in the Center for Open and Sustainable Learning.

Anyway, as an OCW evangelist, one of the most common requests I get from potential customers is that the ability to "do OCW" directly from within the LMS.  The functionality that this would likely entail within the LMS would include:
  • The ability to make a course fully open/public, not requiring a login of any kind on the part of the learner.
  • The ability to tag content with appropriate license or copyright information (think Creative Commons).
  • A "nice to have" would be the ability to make some parts of a course public (not requiring a login), and other parts of the course private (requiring a login).
Anyway, I guess I have a few questions for you Moodle folk.
  1. Does Moodle support any of these features today?  Any plans to support?
  2. Do you know of anyone doing, or interested in doing OCW from within Moodle?
  3. How interested would this community be in figuring out a way to support OCW from within Moodle?
  4. If we were willing to volunteer some developers to help enhance Moodle to support OCW, would this be possible?  If so, what are the steps?
Just so you all know, OCW has expanded beyond just MIT.  There are over 50 institutions worldwide doing OCW, including 6 universities in Japan, Johns Hopkins, Tufts university, Oops in Taiwan, and many others.

Anyway, I look forward to the responses, and hope that we can figure out a way to collaborate.  It seems to me like on open community like Moodle community would be a perfect place to help support/promote OCW (open LMS, open content).

Thanks for your time.

John Dehlin
Outreach Director
Center for Open and Sustainable Learning
Utah State University
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Dehlin

Re: Moodle and OpenCourseWare

by Richard Treves -
Hi John,

Someone else will hopefully jump in with some more detail to this answer but I thought I'd have a go as I'm just about to publish an open moodle course.

• The ability to make a course fully open/public, not requiring a login of any kind on the part of the learner.
You can allow guest access to a course, in fact you can pass this in the URL linking to the site so people can access the course without even going through the front page.  Guest access in moodle prevents you from posting to forums and I think doing quizzes/surveys but all content is accessible and you can read forum postings.

Of course this is OS so you can customise your moodle installation to allow total access if you wish.
  • The ability to tag content with appropriate license or copyright information (think Creative Commons).
If you mean is there a button you can click saying 'tag with CC' then not at the moment but I can't imagine its very hard to add, its just a link right?  You could set it up to have the link in the header when the page is viewed as this is editable in moodle.
  • A "nice to have" would be the ability to make some parts of a course public (not requiring a login), and other parts of the course private (requiring a login).
Not that I know, I can think of a couple of clutchy ways of doing this (having 2 courses or using groups and having guests login with one persons ID) but both have issues.

My open course is about using Google Earth, I work on GIS (geographic information systems) courses and we think bringing people in to use our resources on Google earth (effectively level zero) will help us attract students to our level 1 GIS courses.  A number of issues worry me, firstly I have no idea how big uptake will be, I've outsourced the big downloads (we're using video tutorials) to libsyn.com because I could see potential problems with our internal servers.  I'm also worried about the amount of support users will need which is why I'm going to leave the course open to guest access for a few weeks and then force users to sign up.  This will allow me to close access to new users if it all gets too much.  All of this is possible with moodle BTW.  I am completely confident in moodle as a VLE, I don't expect any problems from that end as we're not doing anything very complex and I've been happily using moodle for over a year now with very few problems.

Drop me a mail if this is of interest to what you're doing.

All the best

Rich

In reply to Richard Treves

by John Dehlin -
Hey Richard!

This is great info, and yes...we are very interested in what you are doing.  Let me know if you'd like to do a skype call or something to chat more.

Thanks!!!

John Dehlin
In reply to Richard Treves

by Thomas Pfeffer -
Hi Richard

You said: "You can allow guest access to a course, in fact you can pass this in the URL linking to the site so people can access the course without even going through the front page."

Do I understand correctly, there is a way to circumvent the request to login even as a guest? A way to guide somebody directly to a moodle-page or -item without being asked to push a login-button?

If this understanding is correct, how can this be done? Just setting a link to the respective page or item would still cause a request for login, wouldn't it?

What I am aiming at is to avoid login-requests for those parts of a course, which should be available for the general public, like a regular homepage.

many thanks in advance

thomas

In reply to John Dehlin

by Dirk Herr-Hoyman -
Hi John- I'm somewhat familar with OCW, but I think it might help if you'd say
just a bit more about what OCW is about and how it fits with other "open content"
initiatives. Here's a few questions that I think the answer to would help

1) How does OCW content fit within Moodle's features?
If we were talking about BB or Sakai or ??? same question applies.

2) How does one import/export OCW content into Moodle?
This is a bit more on the nuts and bolts.

3) Does OCW use any existing open standards, such as Content Packaging or
SCORM?

4) Is OCW considering the IMS Common Cartridge as a possible future direction?
IMS has a current project known as the "Common Cartridge" that is working
on a common format for "course content". The main participants are publishers
and LMS vendors. This will result in an XML based format, think of it as Content Packaging on steriods smile

In reply to Dirk Herr-Hoyman

by John Dehlin -
Hey Dirk!

Here's my best shot at a reply...
  1. How does OCW content fit within Moodle's features? Currently, pretty much all the OCW's live completely independent of their respective LMSs. In the OCW movement, we are finding this to be a problem, however, because many of the customers we speak with don't want to manage 2 systems, and multiple versions of a course.

For example, MIT uses a home-grown LMS called Stellar, and then uses Microsoft Content Management Server for their OCW. Here at USU, we use WebCT as an LMS, and use our own open source OCW management solution called eduCommons. It turns out to be quite expensive/difficult to ask professors to revisit a course already written, create an OCW-kosher version of it, and then manage 2 versions (or more) of the course, on 2 completely difference systems.

What do I mean by an OCW-kosher course? Mostly I mean 2 things....

• No content within the course violates copyright (OCW courses are not protected by "fair use"), and
    • All of the content is shareable with the world (no grade books, student rolls, private communications, etc. available to the outside).
      It is also worth mentioning that OCW courses are unique from regular university courses in that: 1) no credit is offered for them, and 2) no access is provided to the professors.

So the "holy grail" OCW scenario (from my perspective) would be the ability to:
    • Design a course from scratch within the LMS
    • Tag each piece of content with the appropriate license (creative commons, etc.)
    • Designate which items in the course are publicly viewable, and which are private
    • In design mode, provide a public and private view, so that the designer can see what the course looks like under each scenario
    • For all the content that is marked as private, provide some means to allow the designer to replace the hidden content with publicly viewable replacement content (i.e. if in the private course an mp3 is provided, and public version points to iTunes, where you can purchase the song, or if the private version of the course points you to a copyrighted PDF, the public version points you to the place to purchase the PDF).
    In other words, an OCW course is usually a subset of content of a full LMS course, with some stuff removed, and other stuff replaced (to respect copyright). I hope this makes at least some sense. smile

2. How does one import/export OCW content into Moodle? Since every OCW is using their own system, there is no standard today to do this. With our open source OCW management system called eduCommons we are supporting the import and export of SCORM-compliant IMS content packages. So if Moodle allows the exporting of IMS content packages, then eduCommons would import those packages...but currently only a few OCW sites are using eduCommons (though we're growing).

3. Does OCW use any existing open standards, such as Content Packaging or SCORM? Currently eduCommons supports the import/export of SCORM-based content packages, so I'd love to test that functionality between eduCommons and Moodle. Can you import and export courses in and out of Moodle? OCW as a movement is not really deciding any technical standards yet. Currently each OCW site is doing their own thing...with various LMSs and content management systems (or no CMS at all, and just web sites).

4. Is OCW considering the IMS Common Cartridge as a possible future direction? I don't think OCW is thinking about this yet formally, but eduCommons is totally open to incorporating CC as soon as it is stable and pervasive.

I do have one additional question--does Moodle support any workflow in the design and approval of a course?  Just curious.

Anyway, I hope some of this makes sense.  

Anyone out there interested in trying to do OCW within Moodle? We would love to collaborate with you.

John

In reply to John Dehlin

by Thomas Pfeffer -
My name is Thomas Pfeffer, I am working as a researcher in Higher Education and currently trying to implement an emulated version of OpenCourseWare (OCW) at my home institution, University of Klagenfurt. I am in the lucky situation to have been tremendously supported by John Dehlin allready.

So, I want to confirm my interest in trying to do OCW within Moodle. I have several reasons for that:
  • Academic Course Ware should be regarded as a specific type of Open Source. Similar mechanisms apply to CourseWare as they do to academic software: e.g. joint investments reduce costs for development, openess  as a pre-requisite for quality  controll, etc. Practically, there exists a trend towards "Open Educational Resources" that even goes beyond OCW, one of its most prominent examples.
  • Publishing is the most adequate form to share knowledge resources.
  • Due to this conceptual fit between open software and open content, Moodle should be deeply involved in the publication of educational resources.
  • It is important to distinguish between open and confidential (restricted) content of courses. Open, non-sensivitve content can be: syllabus, agenda, reading list, assignments, presentations, self-produced learning materials, etc. Confidential/restricted content is proprietarian content (with restricted licences), personal information, confidential discussions, etc.)
  • Open content can be shared with collegues and users beyond the enrolled participants in a course. Being made visible, OCW can help to coordinate and communicate about study programmes accross single courses.
  • OCW can additionally be used as promotion material for courses/study programmes. It can have positive educational effects to inform prospective students prior to the first contact.
  • OCW also is a means to increase the visibility of academics as teachers, a way to allocate credability and prestige.
These are some of the reasons, why I think it is usefull to make as much content as possible publicly available. (In case, somebody is interested, I can elaborate on this issue. For now, I try to  restrict myself not to bore you.)

However, there are different ways to publish course materials. I interpret the shining example of MIT's OCW as a post-teaching-publication, i.g. a seperate publication process distinct from the teaching process. This is fine for a rich institution with sufficient support staff, but not an option for smaller institutions. To make  OCW a  viable option  for smaller institutions, I think it is necessary to  integrate publishing and teaching by creating a public and a restricted side/view of a course, both being maintained simultanously.

"to make some parts of a course public (not requiring a login), and other parts of the course private (requiring a login)."
For me and my university it would be essential to have such a feature, since it seems to be the only way to publish parts of our materials without additional efforts. Every course should have a public homepage with general information and open materials, as well as a seperated, private workspace for registered participants only. Both spaces should be smoothly interrelated, e.g. by partly using the public area for the private space as well. So if anybody would have any suggestions for how to construct such a course with two different, but interrelated spaces (public/private), I would be very gratefull.

And my best regards to John. I promise to continue collaborating on how to realise OCW with Moodle.

Thomas
In reply to Thomas Pfeffer

by Richard Wyles -

An interesting thread and a huge area. My name is Richard Wyles and I'm the Project Leader for the NZVLE project - the team has been doing quite a lot of work with Moodle.

In parallel I also lead a Open Educational Resources project in New Zealand. At this stage we're intending to use the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license - please let me know if you think otherwise.

We have funding to develop 1200 hours of courseware, all of which will be SCORM compliant and given our focus with NZVLE then it'll all be used across the Moodle installations we're running (a large % of the NZ HE sector now uses Moodle). The real goal of the project is to establish proof of concept to continue to develop open courseware for the NZ curricula and beyond. We'll have an open repository available for federated search - we're doing some work with ePrints to have SSO with Moodle.

We'd be very happy to share thinking and learn from others active in the open education resources area. At this stage I don't have any particular views on Moodle functionality as it relates to partially protected courseware. One avenue would be to look at making a meta-course - with 2 course belonging to it. One would be open to guest access, the other would be password protected.

All the courseware we create will be open and comply with appropriate open standards for LMS interoperability. We're just getting underway - I'll let you know how we get on - we have 1 year of funding to get the ball rolling!

cheers

Richard

In reply to Richard Wyles

by Thomas Pfeffer -
Richard

that is exciting news to hear about your national Open Educational Resource (OER) Projekt in New Zealand and I am looking forward to learn more about it. I am very much interested in OER from a research perspective.

The CreativeCommons Licence is convincing for me. I do not know much about the individual autonomy of academics in New Zealand, but, given what I experienced in Higher Education in general, I would also recommend to leave copyrights with the authors, not forcing them to hand them over to the institution.

With respect to the editorial format of educational resources, John and I have been discussing MIT's OpenCourseWare (OCW) concept, trying to find ways for teachers/authors to develop materials while teaching. This is, where the idea of public/private spaces comes from.

Public
Private
  • Startpage
  • Syllabus
  • Calendar
  • Reading list
  • Materials
  • etc.

[It should be possible to post some selfproduced materials (presentations,
scripts, etc. in the public space, e.g. in the calender or in a list of materials.]

• Interaction (Chat, Forum, ...)
  • personal data (grades, contact information, ...)
  • unfinished materials (homework, ...)
  • proprietarian materials, restricted materials
  • etc.

The suggested solutions for distinguishing public/private sound promising to me and I will experiment with them as soon as possible.

many thanks

Tom
===

In reply to Thomas Pfeffer

by Richard Wyles -

Thanks Tom,

I guess what I'm getting confused with here is the distinction between an open course (i.e. free and openly accessible albeit with some private spaces) vs open courseware / educational resources that are freely accessible for a course creator to develop a course? The OER project is following the approach of building resources that will then be used in different course settings - so they'll be highly modular for ease of customisation.

Creating open courses within Moodle shouldn't be too hard with a combination of groups and guest access features.

cheers

Richard

by Thomas Pfeffer -

Thanks Richard,

given the perspective of your OER project, I understand some of the confusion my considerations might cause.  Therefore I try to discribe, how I came to my approach:

1) First there was MIT's OCW (OpenCourseWare) initiative. As an interested observer, I understand that MIT provides an editorial concept and support stuff for one goal: to make self produced course descriptions and learning materials available for free. In principle, these materials are produced by individual faculty for use in their own residential classroom teaching. It is learning material that has to be produced anyway. Publishing just adds value, since it raises visibility of the teacher and the institution, and the material might be of use for others (in not very specified ways). Just making things available, which are already there, with the least possible additional burden for the individual teacher.

MIT's OCW just gives away materials, but not credits, interaction, teaching, ect. This second part, the educational activities and services, are still separat.

2)  In principle, I want to follow the idea to keep OpenCourseWare seperated from educational services. OCW should be freely accessible, while educational services should be restricted to enrolled students.

My approach only differs with respect to the production process: As far as I understand, MIT has a large group of support staff that collects materials from faculty to edit and publish it, after the course is over. Therefore, I understand MIT's OCW as a post-teaching publication. Materials have to be transfered from any learning environment to the publishing environment of MIT's OCW.

In my opinion, this approach of developing and sharing learning materials is only viable for MIT or other institutions that can afford large support units. But many European institutions do not have these facilities and therefore have to rely on the work and the commitment of individual faculty members. My hypothesis is that they only will buy into OCW, if they can produce and publish materials on their own, while they are teaching the course. (After the term is over, they would not invest additional time for post-teaching-publication. The only chance I see is to ask faculty to publish, while they are teaching their course.)

I also want to make materials freely available and to restrict acces to educational services. But I want to link both spheres technically/logistically, so that the individual teacher can control and shift between both spheres without much additional help, making it easier to contribute to OCW without much additional work. The technical solution can/should be Moodle, by creating a public (freely accessible) and a private (restricted, for enrolled students only) area for the same course. (Thanks for your recommondations, I think, this is the way it could work.)

3) "The OER project is following the approach of building resources that will then be used in different course settings - so they'll be highly modular for ease of customisation."

As far as I understand your project, it significantly differs from MIT's approach to OpenCourseWare. I think, you are more concerned with the planning and the designing for possible re-uses of materials than MIT does.  One of the charming things about MIT's OCW approach is that it needs less coordination with possible users, and that it strongly supports the authorship of the individual lecturer. (I see an analogy to publishing a journal article: If I want to publish, I have to meet editorial standards and pass a peer review, but I do not have to pre-determine, which part of my text will have to be used by whom in what specific way.)

If your project primarely produces for a national context, I assume that is possible to influence (or: know about) some of the framework conditions for re-use, like national curricula, etc. I am really interested to know, if you have any mechanisms to influence re-use of materials, e.g. by setting up joint developer groups, creating obligations/committment for use of your materials, etc. There exist similar examples of national efforts for joint content production (e.g. Finnish Virtual University), which might be interesting for you.

Summing up, I think, Open Educational Ressources are an important issue for eLearning in general, and for the Moodle community specifically. MIT's OCW approach is one approach, the New Zealand Open Educational Ressources project is another. Personally, I think it is very interesting to compare the similarities and differences of these approaches, since they represent different ways to achieve the same goal: to share educational ressources.

cheers

Tom

by John Dehlin -
Hey Richard!

Thanks for the reply!!! It is very exciting to learn about what you're doing. Here are a few thoughts...
  • Currently, virtually all of the OCW schools are using the Creative Commons, Attribution, Non-commerical, Share Alike license found here.
  • Just so you know, an OCW consortium is being formed, where all the OCW schools network together, and help support each other, and work to spread/promote additional OCW's worldwide. Our current portal/wiki can be found here (though most of the content requires authentication). We're defining OCW as: "a free and open digital publication of high-quality teaching materials, organized as courses." Let me know if you (or anyone else) are interested in participating in the group (costs nothing). Also, there is an OCW conference planned for April in Japan. Attendance is limited, but if you are interested, I can look into procuring an invite.
  • We at USU have an NSF grant to build federated search across several repositories, including the OCW repositories...so this is all sounding very similar. Perhaps we should do a conference call or something just to sync up? I'd love to meet you (at least via audio), and have you meet David Wiley, Brandon Muramatsu, and maybe even the MIT folks.
  • You should know that we at USU host an annual conference on open education each year...which is sponsored by the Hewlett foundation. Here is a link to last year's conference. It seems like this is something you might be interested in for 2006. We would love to invite you to attend, and even speak at this conference...if you're interested. We will have more details soon, but hopefully you can tentatively pencil this in. Who knows...maybe Hewlett or Mellon or someone would be interested in what you are doing (if they aren't already). The link for next year's conference is here.
So anyway, it seems like there's a lot to talk about. Our primary interest w/ Moodle is in finding the best way to do OCW via Moodle..so we're very interested in collaborating w/ anyone who shares this goal--but we're also highly interested in anyone who is interested in doing OCW....so definitely let's get together.

I hope to talk soon!!!

John Dehlin
Outreach Director
Center for Open and Sustainable Learning
Utah State University
Logan, UT U.S.A.
In reply to John Dehlin

by Ger Tielemans -
  • Why not bring OCW right away to the next level of educational exchange?
  • You can setup an Open Moodle Server
  • you can restrict the rights of teachers to be only a tutor (no access to the course structure and the core resources but always able to add your own resources in shared forums, wiki's an glossaries.. (and the power of the shared my files block from Humbolt University)
  • you can create and publish UN/PW combination for teachers and students
  • then you can toy with any Moodle course as teacher and as student
OR... 
A typical Moodle course - if there is such a thing smile - will offer the students and their mentors an educational collab scenario/arrangment with many choices. 
Gathering and constructing rich knowledge is an activity you do best in a group, so on your open server you could invite volunteer experts to play the teacher/moderator role. Everyone else can sign-in for a group/course/class. When there are enough students, the course can roll and a new sign-in list for the next round can start.. teachers can test this way if this (new) course is something fore their own school or University..
 What a future for OCW, powered by Moodle. 

In reply to John Dehlin

by Richard Wyles -

Hi John,

Sorry for my tardiness, I've been on summer holiday at the beach! Thank-you for all the information in your post. There's a lot going on with OER/OCW now - & Commonwealth of Learning and UNESCO are supportive of this direction.

Wrt a non-commercial licence, is there any issue or grey area regarding the sale of education (i.e. access to a course) vs the content per se?

Thank-you for the news and invitation to your conference - I've pencilled it in, and I'd welcome a discussion and meet the team. My skype handle is richardwyles or perhaps we could arrange a conference call.

Regarding Moodle, we're working on further developing ePrints with SSO and search capability from within Moodle. My involvement with this is as leader of NZVLE and project managing the technical aspects of the OSLOR project. The idea is that the course creator can search (a federated search) repositories of materials, some of which (at least) will be open!

Regarding the OER project itself, we aim to have all materials SCORM 2004 compliant and use a standard schema, most likely DocBook for the written content. To that end, we'll configure some OpenOffice installs to have some standard exports - PDF, XHTML, & DocBook along with a couple of example style sheets. Alternatively we may use eXe as the authoring tool which has learning templates and can SCORM package on the fly.

Very happy to collaborate and swap ideas on any of this stuff.

I hope to talk more soon, again apologies for the slow response, holidays & now I'm back there's lots going on! 2006 will be another busy year!

cheers

Richard

by John Dehlin -
Welcome back, Richard!

Regarding your questions about CC non-commercial, check out this link, and let me know if it answers your questions.

I've added you as a Skype contact, so I'll look for you online. 

I hope we can pull off a conference call soon!!!!

John Dehlin

by david wiley -
You might also have a look at what the microformat folks are doing in this area. In short, they're working on a DocBook compatible microformat. There's still plenty of time to influence the direction it goes...

http://microformats.org/wiki/book-brainstorming

David
In reply to david wiley

by Jim Farmer -
This has been a productive thread. Thanks to all of you for the thoughtful responses.

Last week I had an interesting discussion with Paul Kirschner, Open University of the Netherlands and Utrecht University. He was talking about "open learning objects" and their relationship to "courses." A copy of my notes is at http://www.immagic.com/eLibrary/GENERAL/IMM/S060125F.pdf. I have shared these with John.

Paul relates open learning objects with the courses and the services provided for each. This answers one question: Yes you can charge for a course even when the learning objects are open. The value is sequence, assessments, and services not available for "open courseware".

He also is matching cost with value. Certification has a value; academic services that support learning has value; a program of courses and their learning objects have value because of broader scope and available learning sequences; and being a "student" in an institution has associations.

It is important that open courseware be interoperable if economies of scale are to be achieved. This moves beyond learning systems and the technology. Looking at the "customer base," publishers are more interested in Moodle than other systems. But if all systems used the same standards the economies and the diversity would be even greater. With the exception of the open universities and three or four community colleges in the U.S. the unit cost of course development remains the biggest cost barrier to on-line learning.