Moodle License

Re: Moodle License

by Andy Diament -
Number of replies: 3

Hi Tim, going off topic a little, I developed a very simple system for a cd we're giving away at the BETT show:

1. Install moodle on your local pc using Moodle for Windows, based on xampp (not a version based on easyPHP). OR
    use xampp / xampplite to create your own installation [which is what I did].
  2. All of the files needed should be in a single folder. When I did this with xampplite, the default is the folder C:\xampplite
  3. Add the courses you want to distribute to moodle, in the usual manner.
  4. Zip the file - I used 7zip to create a self expanding archive.

The resulting file can be distributed; when you launch it, it asks you where you want it installed - this needs to be the same location as it came from - I used C:\ as this is the path of least resistance. Eventually, I'll look into something more flexible.

I will post a copy of the file I did for the BETT show, but I was having ftp grief when I last tried!

Alternatively, there are versions based on live cd's: have a look at Maik Riecken's ideas at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=31311

I also experimented with PClinuxOS. This is a very very smooth livecd version of linux, designed for / containing a script to customise and distribute as your own live linux cd. Note, I never completed it due to time issues, so here's a challenge....

You basically install the linux to your pc and customise it until it does what you want, keeping the total size less than about 1.9 Gb (for a cd; you can make larger, live dvd's) and installing extras (e.g. the necessary servers and moodle); then run a script to create a cd iso image file; burn that to your disk, and voila, a live cd, potentially with moodle content. It's a nice version of linux for newcomers, too.

To install moodle with content, you would need to:

1. Do a fresh install of pclinux OS
  2. Customise linux and remove packages that are not relevant, e.g user applications, games, etc. [In my 1st attempt, I removed something that stopped X - Windows launching, so you may need to jump to step 7 and make a test live cd at this point - CD-RW's are a good idea here]
  3. Install and launch apache/mysql/php - again xampp is good for this.
  4. Do what configuration is needed to launch these when it boots. [Don't ask me though...]; alternatively rely on the user starting them themself.
  5. Install moodle and your course material; test it all.
  6. Now here's what foulled my last attempt. I installed xampp to /opt/lampp; in the live cd version, this becomes /union/opt/lampp, so you will need to edit moodle/config.php for the document root and data root to have the correct path name for these folders as they would appear in the live cd. Note, this is where I ran out of time, but I'm sure it can be done.
  7. Run mklivecd to create the iso file, burn to disk, boot your pc, launch a browser, and hopefully look at your moodle content in localhost.

Can anyone else make this one work? Would make a nice tool for distributing content or promoting moodle.

Andy D

In reply to Andy Diament

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Andy,

I made up a CD in the summer for promotional purposes. I used Uniserver for Apache, PHP etc.

I created a Windows friendly installer using http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php.
If I'd had more time and patience I probably could have made it quite nice.

The main problems were:

It's easy to ger mySQL/Apache running in a user friendly way but harder to get them to stop without having to find .bat files etc.

Uniserver creates a virtual "W" drive - this conflicts if you already have that letter mapped.

I gave everyone an instruction sheet (with the offer to a free demo acct on a server of mine if they wimped out). Also, I was careful to manage expectations.

I think live CDs have many advantages, but how many PCs/Laptops have "boot from CD" enabled by default? IMO having to find how to access the BIOS settings, find/enable the CD boot option is a bit off putting to many who would like to explore Moodle locally.

Best wishes in your quest......

Ray
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Andy Diament -
Hiya Ray,

I've also used uniserver - I like it's tiny size; but agree with the inflexibility problem of the W: drive; it's less forgiving than xampp if you don't shut it properly.

My original plan was to create a livecd with content, which also had an easy to instal windows version, with the same content. Didn't quite work out! Will return to this.

I agree that a really-really-easy-to-install version would be better for many users, e.g. for distributing material for home study, or for practitioners developing courses offline. I agree with your comments on the difficulty of booting from cd. Will also look at the link to see if I can make the installation flexible.

Cheers, Andy D
In reply to Andy Diament

by Ray Lawrence -
Great! There was alot of "I" in my post. To give credit where it's due, I got some great tips from Bill Burgos who had already done something similar. I don't know if Bill has refined his techniques since August.

Ray