Is there a guide to using the cloze format?

Is there a guide to using the cloze format?

by Robert Barone -
Number of replies: 17

I have been searching around the Forums, but I only get bits and pieces of information on the cloze question type. SInce there is no template, I would appreciate being pointed to some kind of general guide about wrting these questions -- if there is one. Hope it's not just under my nose and I haven't seen it.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Barone

Re: Is there a guide to using the cloze format?

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Robert,

As far as I know there are two ways....

1) Use the GIFT import format for the moodle quiz module like this, and {=remove, ~waste, ~toke, ~dip} one word from a text.

2)  Use the hotpotatoes cloze format in the normal way, and the Hotpotatoes Module to embed them in Moodle.

Tim

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
At first you can look on the help file while you try to create a cloze question type. But you will see it is not easy.

Here (http://moodle.de/mod/resource/view.php?id=1543) is a MS Word Macro for editing all types of questions in word and import them via gift-format.
And this (http://moodle.de/mod/resource/view.php?id=1542) is a small german tool from Andreas Grabs for editing cloze questions.

Ralf
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Ghassan Geara -

Hi,

I went here, following the link in MoodleDocs: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Cloze.

Ralf, you propose the MS Word Macro for editing all types of questions. This is a must for us. Can you provide us with this macro directly here or in MoodleDocs section: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Cloze ?

I tried to follow the link you provided: http://moodle.de/mod/resource/view.php?id=1543 but all is in German and i couldn't login to Moodle.de even as a guest.

Thanks for any help.

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Picture of Plugin developers
Robert,

Here's the link to the 'Embedded answers (Cloze)' type questions on this site:

http://moodle.org/help.php?module=quiz&file=multianswer.html

However, I suspect you've read this already. I found the best way to learn how to make the Cloze type questions was to copy the example in the above link, and then make small changes to the example until I broke it.

I have attached an example of a 'Cloze' type question I made. Note that there are two version of the same item. The first can be copied and pasted into the HTML editor, the second version should be pasted into the simple text editor (i.e. the HTML editor with the 'Toggle HTML Source' button 'on'. I have provided two versions since I have noticed when copying a cloze type question into the WYSIWYG HTML editor, line breaks tend to get added, which destroys the question.

Also, note that the GIFT import (last time I checked), whilst very good with other question types, can only import one cloze item at a time - one item may of course have lots of blanks or pull-down-menus.

Another point; the number appearing at the beginning of a 'blank' indicates the weighting for the question, and is nothing to do with the question number. So, in the example below the blank has been given a weight of '2'. So, if the blanks all have an equal weight, you don't need to type any number.

{2:SHORTANSWER:%100%CALL#Yes, that's it!~%0%?#What should I __ you? Either lower or UPPER case is OK.}

Finally, as mentioned above, if you have Hot Potatoes, the cloze type question in that is easier to make.
In reply to Peter Ruthven-Stuart

by Ortencia Sandoval -
Hello

ciould you give me some tips to use the close test?

Regards

Ortencia
In reply to Peter Ruthven-Stuart

by Grant Kerr -
Is it possible to have multiple responses to a question? I would like to ask questions in the following format: "List the three types of triangles based on the lengths of their sides: 1_____, 2_____, 3_____ ." The order of the responses is not important.

If the order is important then I could turn this into 3 embedded SHORTANSWER type questions, for example, 1 {:SA:~=equilateral}, 2 {:SA:~=isosceles}, 3 {:SA:~=scalene}.

In reply to Grant Kerr

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Grant,

Tim will confirm this, but the question you asked keeps cropping up in the Quiz forum, e.g. here. There certainly is a need for a type of question (Cloze or other) which would allow a set of answers which is correct regardless of the order of each individual answer. Maybe this will happen in moodle 2.1 (some time in 2011). Just be patient.wink

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It is more likely to happen if someone else makes this question type.

I have a todo list of things people at the OU want that will probably take more than a year to work through wink

There are several question types on that list - mainly different variants of drag-and-drop. Also a short-answer variant with improved answer matching, something we have developed over the years that is easier to understand than regex.

Also on the list, it seems they want a solution to the "Students failing to submit before the close date" problem. I guess that will make a lot of people here quite happy.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by ben reynolds -
Tim said:
There are several question types on that list - mainly different variants of drag-and-drop. Also a short-answer variant with improved answer matching, something we have developed over the years that is easier to understand than regex.

Tim, can you point to more info about this short-answer variant?
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Pierre Pichet -
I agree with Tim response about the length of his to-do list.

Mine is shorter but my speed is lower wink.

About question coding, let's first finish the new engine implementation for the already standard question types and we could discuss which variants of shortanswer are the more important to work on.

Pierre

In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Teresa Mackinnon -

Close questions are really useful in language teaching for assessing a range of skills - prediction, transformation, spelling etc. I am surprised there is still no WYSIWYG interface for their creation in Moodle 2 yet. Would it not be helpful to collaborate with hot potatoes or quia (both have big user commiunities) to make this happen?

In reply to Teresa Mackinnon

by Ray Lawrence -

Yes, that would be great. As far as I am aware Hot Potatoes is defunct and quia is a commercial offering so that wouldn't help core Moodle. Have you looked at the recently released OU questions?

Perhaps a university with an interest in language teaching could sponsor the  development of a WYSIYG onterface. smile

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Teresa Mackinnon -

Hi Ray, that is an interesting suggestion. I am not sure who would take it on though, I wonder if our subject centre LLAS would have contacts? There's very little funding around these days. I took a look at Gavin's vidoes of the latest OU assignements and they look good. Our IT centrally would probably prefer us to use QM perception.

by Ray Lawrence -

I forgot that you have QMP there. Is it available to you?

by Pierre Pichet -

There are some WYSIWYG interface editor available as add-ons.

The regular question edit forms were rebuilt in 1,8 with some restricitons about handling for disabled persons.

Their final actual form (i.e. multiple choice) is very cumbersome.

This was the main reason why we could not develop an official question edit form .

Peoples can put more than 10 multiple choice subquestions in a single cloze!!! 

In the roadmap for 2,3, there is a project to a more convivial question edit form.

http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Question_editing_form_improvements

Quiz forum thread

This could lead to a new cloze interface.

Pierre

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

There is a Cloze editor add-on for Moodle 1.9 and 2.x in the Moodle plugins database  that integrates with Moodle's existing HTML editor (HTMLArea in 1.9 and TinyMCE in 2.x) to support teachers in creating CLOZE (Embedded answers) questions in the GIFT syntax.

The integration (PHP/javascript) is essentially a new button in the HTML editor which brings up an interface that helps create CLOZE questions in the correct syntay. Works in all languages - uses Moodle's existing language strings mostly, except for four strings:

• for the 1.9 version, English/German/French/Spanish are included
  • for the Moodle 2.x version, translations are currently not included, so that these four strings will be displayed in English