Moodle & Elgg - Elgg finds it's learning landscape

Moodle & Elgg - Elgg finds it's learning landscape

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Number of replies: 14
Picture of Translators
Hi,

I have just seen an interesting news published on http://www.elgg.net today that Richard Wyles, Penny Leach, Patrick Li & Co. has 'delivered' an integreation of Elgg & Moodle.

That sounds very interesting.

Perhaps one you mentioned above could elaborate about your progress about this project?

Kind regards
Jens
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jens Gammelgaard

Re: Moodle & Elgg - Elgg finds it's learning landscape

by Miles Berry -
This is really exciting, although I think 'delivered' may be putting things a little strongly at the moment.

I've been running Elgg alongside moodle for the last term, and even as seperate systems they complement each other beautifully. Integration of the two will, I'm sure, produce a learning space greater than the sum of its parts.

Immediately appealing are the ideas of being able to set journal / assignment type activites in Moodle to be accomplished in Elgg, so that learners can share their reflections with their peers rather than just their teachers, and to bring Elgg's social tagging tools to Moodle resources and activities. Much as I love it, I don't think Moodle has really sussed the whole metadata tagging thing yet, and seeing this happen in a socially constructed way makes far more sense than the top-down vocabularies and taxonomies we're promised in the UK - have a glance over at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=33044#154803

It's also going to be interesting to see how this compliments the blogging tools we're promised for Moodle 1.6.

Their abstraction layer model opens up other interesting possibilites, like perhaps even integration between Moodle, Elgg and open source school management information systems.

by Martín Langhoff -
Hi Jens! We have had plans to work on Elgg for a while, and we will be starting soon. There are some general plans for Elgg improvements, and part of the plan is to make it straightforward to run an integrated Moodle - Elgg install.

(Not "delivering" anything until at least mid-January! Though there will be public development trees for programmers who know where to look...)

It is all part of the NZVLE project. There is a whole "stack" of complementary applications "in the works" if you look at the long term plans (drafted by Richard Wyles some 2 or 3 years ago). Moodle and Elgg have very central roles there. And don't forget the OSLOR project: it looks like we'll be hacking on EPrints (an already successful LOR) with a similar approach: enhance and integrate with Moodle.

In both cases (Elgg, EPrints) we are aiming to contribute net improvements to the core projects and to create good "pluggable" integration points which we will use with Moodle. And there is hope that other creative & motivated programmers will integrate other tools.

There's also a huge amount of cross-pollination of ideas and code waiting to happen, and we want to get it rolling. The three of them are GPL so the doors are open to exchange code freely. There's already been some of that between GForge and Moodle already (we hack quite a bit on the GForge codebase as Eduforge is a customized GForge).

It has been a hell of a fun time since we started working on the NZVLE project... and it is only getting better... big grin
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Martin,

I saw that elgg is prepared for working with moodle. What is the status of the moodle integration of elgg?

Ralf
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Richard Wyles -

Hi Ralf,

NZVLE project has been doing work in this area. It's a light integration that uses a block to interface with Elgg. We haven't written it up properly yet but promise to do so by the end of the week. In the meantime, you can see our test environment - details on the NZVLE wiki.

cheers

Richard

In reply to Richard Wyles

by A. T. Wyatt -
I did go visit.  I am also very interested in this block.  Please indulge me with some simple explanations!

1) I see that if you log in as a student, the block points to the login page for elgg.  I am assuming that the login page can be configured to the institutional instance of elgg?  We are planning to install this on our own servers in a few days.

2) If I, as an instructor, plan for all my students to have blogs on elgg, do I just use the elgg community tools to make sure I can access all their posts?  I am a little confused about how this is going to be used in a classroom situation.

Looking forward to your response!

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by A. T. Wyatt -
Found some of my own answers!  The configuration page looks very powerful.  I was particularly intrigued by the idea of being able to export files from moodle assignments to the portfolio!

I hope you will be making the block available soon.  I expect we will volunteer if you need more folks to help test. smile

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Miles Berry -
The block is out - see Dave Tosh's post.
In reply to Miles Berry

Ang: Re: Moodle & Elgg - Elgg finds it's learning landscape

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
The block is out for postgres7 database Moodle users in this writing moment. The MySql version should be under way smiler

Re: Ang: Re: Moodle & Elgg - Elgg finds it's learning landscape

by Martín Langhoff -
You mean you'll be sending me a patch adding MySQL support or know someone who'd doing that??? wink

Re: Ang: Re: Moodle & Elgg - Elgg finds it's learning landscape

by Martín Langhoff -
More discussion about this in the blocks forum ...

by Thomas Robb -
Here's a review article on Elgg that focuses on its possibilities for language learning.

http://tesl-ej.org/ej34/m1.html
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Dave Tosh -
It is worth pointing out that this review is out-of-date, most of it is no longer relevant.

Elgg version 0.4 is due out January 20th and some new reviews will be available shortly.