Creating Feedback on a Subject level in a Quiz

Creating Feedback on a Subject level in a Quiz

by frank weissman -
Number of replies: 12

Is there a possibility to create feedback on a subject level using quizes. Untill now I only was able to give feedback on question level.

The feedback on a subject level. Should be something like this

- Your score on subject a was ..... (sum of question scores within the subject), this score is ...... (poor, sufficient, good) We advise you to (..... study some more, go on to the next course ...... etc.)

If possible the feedback  should be automated on a score level

Frank Weissman

Average of ratings: -
In reply to frank weissman

Re: Creating Feedback on a Subject level in a Quiz

by Timothy Takemoto -
There is a hack somewhere. Here we go
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=13265&parent=63864
Tim
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by frank weissman -
TXS for this answer. It is one step in the good direction, but I am no yet completly happy. This hack creates a pass/fail dicision. Great also, but it does only give this feedback on a total score and not on a subject score. I can always make a workaround (make it 3 tests), but for now it is not my preference.

Frank

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Frank,
I do not understand what you mean by "feedback on a subject level using quizes". Could you give concrete examples?
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Timothy Takemoto -

Perhaps Frank means on categories? There was a hack posted recently that would probably be able to do that.

by frank weissman -

Yes Frank means categories.... But i have not found the hack yet what can do that....

Txs for the welcome semantic input

by frank weissman -

Here is an example

I am creating a quiz for students. This quiz contains 40 questions. ( Questions are all put in a Categorie ( This can be a subject, or a questiontype, or.... etc) In my system this will be a subject.

Subject can be something like .....

• Managing a project
  • Communication
  • Budgetting (?)
  • etc.

I have 5 questions about Categorie 1 (in my case a subject)

I want to give feedback on the total of the questions and not feedback on each question.

For instance I score 2 out of 5 points (or 40%) on the Category...... This score I would like to transelate in .... "Your score on category (subject) "Projectplanning" is to low. Please study this subject again.

etc.

by frank weissman -

Here is an example

I am creating a quiz for students. This quiz contains 40 questions. ( Questions are all put in a Categorie ( This can be a subject, or a questiontype, or.... etc) In my system this will be a subject.

Subject can be something like .....

• Managing a project
  • Communication
  • Budgetting (?)
  • etc.

I have 5 questions about Categorie 1 (in my case a subject)

I want to give feedback on the total of the questions and not feedback on each question.

For instance I score 2 out of 5 points (or 40%) on the Category...... This score I would like to transelate in .... "Your score on category (subject) "Projectplanning" is to low. Please study this subject again.

etc.

by Timothy Takemoto -

Frank,

I do not know of a hack that allows you to give feedback on a per-category basis but if you know php then it would not be very difficult to combine the overall feedback hack above with the hack provided by Paul Tero here
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=35637
which is to display the scores for each category in the results of a test.

You will have to check the category scores, stored in the array against
the scores you require the students to achieve.

Perhaps if you replace the line
array_push ($catperc, $category->name.': '.round ($categorygrade/$catmax[$categoryid]*100).'%');

With something like

$categorygradepercent = round ($categorygrade/$catmax[$categoryid]*100); // new variable for the %
if ($categorygradepercent < 50) {
     $feedbackmessage= "You failed on this category"; // new variable for the feedback
     } else {
       if ($categorygradepercent < 70) {
       $feedbackmessage = "You passed on this category, but you could do better";   
       } else {
          $feedbackmessage = "You did very well on this category.";

}
   }
}
//then put the feedback message after the % grade, seperated by a space
array_push ($catperc, $category->name.': '.$categorygradepercent.' '.$feedbackmessage.'%');

This is complete untested and I am not a php programmer. By the way the dots "." concatenate strings.

Tim

by frank weissman -

Txs for your effort.

I know a little of PHP.. The functions your describe are clear to me....

So we will try and make it work..

by frank weissman -

Thanks Timothy

I have implemented your script. The script works fine.  ( only the percentage "% " was at the wrong place.

I found  out another problem. When your feedback is a bit to long, it will break off, because the max. field size is 255. I had to alter it to Blob format. Now it is working great.

I have to finetune it, but that won't be a problem.

So Thanks again, for your PHP expertise

by Timothy Takemoto -
"PHP expertise"! Thanks. But it is you that is the expert.
Please can you post the working script? I am sure that others would like it too.
Tim

by frank weissman -
I will do.... but I need to do some cleaning up first