Quiz attempt not recorded

Quiz attempt not recorded

by James Depow -
Number of replies: 3
Hi,

I had a student attempt a quiz with a 30 minute timer.  It appears they ran out of time but when I look at their attempt it does not show the answer they submitted, therefore all questions get a zero grade.

Is there anywhere else I could find their response?

Also, the following screenshot is their log.  Not sure I understand it properly.  It appears they started the quiz at 1:57pm but did not attempt to submit it until 2:41pm, with various other activities in between.  The quiz was set up to allow only 1 attempt, so I am unsure how they could attempt to submit the quiz after they exited from it.  Any thought?

Jimquiz attempt
Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Depow

Re: Quiz attempt not recorded

by Timothy Takemoto -
Dear Jim

I think that the problem you are seeing here may be the same one as that which I and perhaps others are experiencing, as detailed here.
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=35874
I have posted a bug here, which I would be grateful if you would be so kind as to vote for (you will have to register yourself on the bug tracker)

The problem seems to occur when a student over-runs the time limit of a timed test.

As far as I know, when quizes time out the should submit the responses at the time the quiz times out automatically. This does not seem to be happening upon occasion, even though, it seems that the correct responses were recorded by moodle as per the screen shot that i append to the forum above.

I don't think that there is anything strange about your logs above. If the sutdent enters a quiz then they can still visit other pages in another browser window.

IF your problem is the same as mine then if you click on the attempt in the logs or in the report tab of the quiz module, then you may be able to see the students responses and score. Please let us know.

Since this MAY be a javascript problem, it may be a good idea to ask the student what browser they were using.

By the way, another thing that seems to be similar between our student's situations is that I think that my student submitted after the deadline too.

In other words, *perhaps,* when the quiz times out the responses at that point in time are being sent to moodle (and hence they are being recorded and marked as correct in the screen shot I show) but if the student then presses submit after the end of the quiz, *perhaps* this is treated as a form of cheating (submission after the end of the quiz) and the scores revert to zero??

Tim
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Re: Quiz attempt not recorded

by James Depow -

Hi Tim,

I have voted on the bug.  You wrote: IF your problem is the same as mine then if you click on the attempt in the logs or in the report tab of the quiz module, then you may be able to see the students responses and score. Please let us know.

When I view the student logs, I do not see where they answered any of the questions.  It is if they submitted the quiz without any answers.

Thanks,

Jim