Event publishing

Event publishing

by Scott Elliott -
Number of replies: 6
If I understand correctly, our current calendar setup will allow admins to create site events that are viewed by everyone.  This allows a top-down type of pushing of events by the site admins.  I have used this for maintenance/upgrade announcements, but I know it is also a great tool to announce campus/school wide events.

In an effort to spread the work load of creating site events, I'm wondering if a bottom-up (with approval by site admins) approach would also be of benefit to anyone.

An example where this may be useful:

A criminal justice course will be conducting a fundraiser to help raise money for local police departments.  Right now, the course instructor would need to submit a "manual" request to the admin of the moodle site to get the event posted on the entire site.

What if the course instructor were able to create the event in the calendar, but mark it as a requested site event?  The admin(s) would have a view of the calendar that would allow them to approve requested events.

There could also be "trusted" users who would have automatic approval of events.  This may help Mauri with a request for course admins to be able to add site events.  (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=35326)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Elliott

Re: Event publishing

by Melissa Fernandez -
Not sure i can be of much help in helping this come about but it would definetly be a wonderful feature.  I'd love the ability to give activity coordinators the flexibility of posting events for the entire school without also needing to give them site admin access.  It would greatly facilitate the transition to using Moodle for school wide calendaring.
In reply to Melissa Fernandez

by Scott Elliott -
I've placed a feature request into the "bug" tracker.  Here's a link if you would like to vote for it:

http://moodle.org/bugs/bug.php?op=show&bugid=4469&pos=1

Once our final exams are over, I'll dig around the code a little and see how much work this would be.

by Samuli Karevaara -
Scott, these forums have a magic touch, if you want to link to a Moodle bug, just write "b u g  # 4 4 6 9" without the spaces and it's turned to a link, like this: bug #4469. smile

by Rob Barreca -
I'm going to start working on this pretty soon.  Let me know if you have any suggestions, code, etc. to contribute.
In reply to Rob Barreca

by Rob Barreca -
I was thinking about something like this as it wouldn't require a change to the db.

Teachers who want to add global events would really be adding "user events" that have hidden = 1. Then, we'd allow "SITE teacher-edits" or maybe just "creators" to see any hidden user events and change their status to "visible, global events".

It's a little bit convoluted, let me know if that sounds okay.
In reply to Rob Barreca

by Viral Bhatt -
any progress on this bug? I like course editor to create global event and it's not possible at the moment.