HELP can't log in

HELP can't log in

by l taylor -
Number of replies: 4
An error message popped up at top of page and now cannot log in. How do I fix this and what does it mean.
Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/dharmaki/public_html/ecollege/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 2548
Average of ratings: -
In reply to l taylor

Re: HELP can't log in

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Picture of Plugin developers
l taylor

It's always a good idea in these situations to search moodle.org. If you search for 'adodb.inc.php' you'll find the following thread:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=27453

I had the same problem yesterday. My hosting company upgraded PHP to 4.4.1 (do you use Bluehost as well?), and the information in this thread seems to have provided the solution, which is:
  1. download the latest stable branch of moodle - or go to the CVS archive and download the adodb.inc.php file from there
  2. extract just the adodb.inc.php file from this package; you'll find it in moodle/lib/adodb/
  3. access your moodle directory on your server
  4. access the /lib/adodb/ directory
  5. rename the adodb.inc.php file to adodb.inc_old.php, just in case you need to revert back to the original
  6. upload the new adodb.inc.php file to the /lib/adodb/ directory
Note, I am not a programmer, so can't gurantee that this solution will not cause any other problems, however it has fixed the problem for the moment, and based on the information in the thread, this seems to be an acceptable solution.

Good luck!
In reply to Peter Ruthven-Stuart

by david parry -
Bluehost offers the following fix, which worked for me:

If you see this error, this is because the server you are on has been upgraded to PHP 4.4.1, and there is outdated code in Moodle that needs to be changed. In the file ~public_html/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php line 2689:

return $results;

change to:

$result = &$results;
return $result;

This will correct the problem within Moodle's Coding. If you are unsure about how to do this, please let us know and we can make the change for you.

Hope this helps others.
In reply to david parry

by Dave Parry -

Fantastic.

I copied the string from your message and pasted over the offending line and then went back to the site and refreshed the page - et voila! no error mesage, and all seems fine.

Thanks.

Dave (Another David Parry!)