Possible security exploit?

Possible security exploit?

by Brian Koontz -
Number of replies: 51
This was passed on to me by one of our Unix sysadmins...any word on whether or not this is a valid security concern?

http://www.milw0rm.com/id.php?id=1312

--Brian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Koontz

Re: Possible security exploit?

by Darren Smith -
It's probably not best to post security concerns in a public forum. Especially when there is  ......

http://security.moodle.org/
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Darren Smith

by Brian Koontz -
Hmm...the old "security through obscurity" argument.

Visited security.moodle.org.  Don't seem to have access.  The contact page requests details of "the problem."  I don't have a problem, just need to know if I'm about to have one.

This one's already out there, so I'm not posting an original security exploit.  It's simply a web link.

--Brian

In reply to Brian Koontz

by Darren Smith -
You couldn't have been trying hard enough.

I spotted the link after as soon as the page loaded and then clicked on the HUGE Report a security issue text and was taken to a web form. I admit I didn't submit anything as I have nothing to report. If it didn't work for you then perhaps you should send a message to martin or one of the team or post it on the bug tracker to let them know the form aint working.

You may not have posted something new but what you have done is promoted the (potential) exploit further and exploits become much more problematic when more people know about them.
In reply to Darren Smith

by Brian Koontz -
You're mistaken:  I've promoted nothing.  The problem exists.  Putting our fingers to our lips won't make it go away.

--Brian
In reply to Brian Koontz

by Penny Leach -
Nobody is suggesting it's going to 'go away' - as soon as issues (this includes potential issues) are reported on security.moodle, a developer will investigate and fix them.

However, a) promoting FUD and b) alerting the entirety of the people who read General Developer Forum of an exploit isn't the most productive way to alert the moodle developers of a potential problem.

Moodle doesn't have a closed door security policy. Security problems are fixed and are in the changelog.
In reply to Penny Leach

by Brian Koontz -
Promoting FUD? Hardly. Your enemy promotes FUD. I hardly think posting an already published exploit amounts to "promoting FUD."

Instead of attacking the messenger, maybe a little focus on the problem at hand would be more productive...
In reply to Brian Koontz

by Penny Leach -
> I hardly think posting an already published exploit amounts to
> "promoting FUD."

Sure it does. we don't need to panic the general moodle populace, most of whom don't read exploit announcements, until we have evaluated the problem to see if it's actually a real concern.

> Instead of attacking the messenger, maybe a little focus on the
> problem at hand would be more productive...

Of course. I am no security expert and as you see, Petr has already posted a patch. As Eloy points out, only a few hours after you alerted us to it.

We were merely trying to point out that there's a place to report these things and it's security.moodle.org. I'm sure everyone is very appreciative that you took the time to alert us to it. Thanks!

Perhaps I was a little snarky in my post, I apologise. But it grates that people might think that we would brush the problem under the carpet and hope it goes away, as Moodle is very security aware and active in trying to fix problems in an open and positive way.
In reply to Brian Koontz

by Darren Smith -
Judging by the other replies I don't seem to be wink Have a look at the first page of the URL I provided. No need to log in - right in the middle (depending upon resolution etc):

Today we discovered a potentially serious problem with a hidden utility script in Moodle that could allow a malicious user to delete ALL course files.

Hardly fingers on lips.

In reply to Brian Koontz

by Martín Langhoff -

No -- not security through obscurity. We'll leave that technique for others.

security.m.o gives bit of lead time for the core developers to look at security concerns (real or perceived), and a space to discuss and plan the best way to fix the real ones, and the best way to educate on the perceive ones.

We are looking at it.

In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The site is exploitable only when both are set:
  1. register_globals = on
  2. magic_quotes_gpc = off

I am working on a permanent fix now.
In any case I would recommend everybody to disable register_globals.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Two hours and 13 mins after Brian's initial post. Great job, Petr! cool

Using my fingers to put my cigar (with its obscure smoke) between my lips... (I've to leave that bad habit soon). tongueout clown big grin
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Patch prepared for review & testing at security.moodle.org, I will post it here after some more testing too...
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Petr Skoda -
Here is some preview of the patch, works on my test site but it needs a lot of testing. It does nothing on sites that are not affected by this bug.

Problems might be with some 3rd party extensions and mods if they are setting any variables before the inclusion of config.php... (edit: it does break mysql admin)

I would be glad if anybody suggested any better solution wink

Instructions: insert following code right at the beginning of lib/setup.php

function ini_get_bool2($ini_get_arg) {
$temp = ini_get($ini_get_arg); if ($temp == '1' or strtolower($temp) == 'on') {
return true; } return false; } function unregister_globals2() {
$REQUEST = $_REQUEST; $GET = $_GET; $POST = $_POST; $COOKIE = $_COOKIE; if (isset ( $_SESSION )) {
$SESSION = $_SESSION; } $FILES = $_FILES; $ENV = $_ENV; $SERVER = $_SERVER; foreach ($GLOBALS as $key => $value) {
if ( $key != 'GLOBALS' && $key != 'CFG' && $key != 'nomoodlecookie'
&& $key != 'lifetime' && $key != 'starttime') { //hacks for themes and cron unset ( $GLOBALS [ $key ] ); } } $_REQUEST = $REQUEST; $_GET = $GET; $_POST = $POST; $_COOKIE = $COOKIE; if (isset ( $SESSION )) {
$_SESSION = $SESSION; } $_FILES = $FILES; $_ENV = $ENV; $_SERVER = $SERVER; } if (!ini_get_bool2('magic_quotes_gpc') && ini_get_bool2('register_globals')) {
unregister_globals2(); }

In reply to Petr Skoda

by Petr Skoda -
Please do not use the patch above, instead fix your PHP settings. I do recommend setting both:
register_globals=off
magic_quotes_gpc=on

PHP settings can be changed by editing php.ini or .htaccess file in your Moodle directory.

skodak
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Andy Tagliani -
Hi all

It ist really not the right place for such a discussion. Every thing has a place, and here i think the most users in this thread go confirm, it is not a discussion for every ones eyes.

@Skodak
What u think do Moodleusers they have no serveraccess (shared hosting), or they have run beside moodle another cms and this one need register_globals on. Some serverconfiguration did not allow .htacess

What u can learn from this discussion is, the moodleusers need information, at the right time and on the right place. Thats all i think!

Bye Andy
In reply to Andy Tagliani

by Petr Skoda -
Hi Andy.

register_globals=on is evil. IMO no hosting company should enforce it. Please note that it is easy to emulate register_globals=on in PHP, so even old code can be made functional without much trouble.

skodak
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Brian Koontz -
Yet another outstanding testament to the benefits of open source...
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Steve Hyndman -

Forgive me if I'm being dense here, but it this a 1.6 issue only, or does this impact 1.5 users? Thanks.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Petr Skoda -
All versions are vulnerable if and only if the server has register_globals = on and magic_quotes_gpc = off both at the same time. Furtunately this is not a common case. I think that the affected site would have other "strange" problems before.

1. Are you affected? Check http://yoursite/admin/phpinfo.php.
  2. Protection is easy - disable register_globals!

The patch above could be useful if you can not change setting in php.ini or .htaccess, but I doubt any hosting company would have such a weird configuration and would not want to change it.

Back to the reporting of security bugs. I noticed the first report at security.moodle.org around 11:30 PM just when I was shutting down my computer in order to go to bed (thanks to reporters Miles Berry and Iñaki Arenaza Nuño!!!!!!) .

Brian posted here at 10:20 PM. I did not see it, I do not read messages from forums every hour, I guest I would notice it now.

Please next time report undisclosed problems only at security.moodle.org.
Before talking about public exploits please report them at least at security.moodle.org.

I have to go earn some money now, I will continue working on this later today in my free time wink

skodak
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Brian Koontz -
Finally, someone with a clue about the subject of this post...good to see someone thinking about the problem, instead of chastising the messenger. 

A personal thanks!

--Brian

by Brian Koontz -
security.m.o gives bit of lead time for the core developers to look at security concerns (real or perceived), and a space to discuss and plan the best way to fix the real ones, and the best way to educate on the perceive ones.

The argument works both ways...while core developers are discussing, users are left in the dark.  You believe in delayed disclosure, I believe in full disclosure (except in the case of a non-published exploit).  We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one...

--Brian
In reply to Brian Koontz

by Martín Langhoff -

Agreed on that we'll have to disagree.

Now, given that we are trying to help you and all the Moodle community... would you mind helping us? Report it first to security.m.o -- as you can imagine, we monitor that more closely than General Developer Forum (which is naturally "low urgency").

And then, if you really believe in full disclosure, post it to the community as well. Be aware, however, that most of the "security advisories" out there are quite bogus... the 'security experts' pushing them out are marketing themselves on top of people's fears, and will happily forget to mention that it only affects users with X, Y and Z settings.

That's why we call that FUD, although it's a different kind of FUD than your usual product vs product FUD. It's more like the antivirus industry scaremongering.

So... it's easy to overreact and claim that the world is about to end. Keep in mind that bugtraq is 80% marketing, 20% real stuff (I have followed bugtraq for years, only unsub'd about 2 years ago.) And that you can really damage the Moodle.org community just by echoing their FUD unchecked.

And that's exactly what they want!

security.m.o has an amazing turnaround record, mostly thanks to Skodak. It's much better to break the news an hour or two later (I'm sure you can cope with that) having double checked them, and publicizing them together with a fix or workaround. Hey, the fist thing to figure out is whether the exploit for real even. Many bugtraq reports are based on misconfiguring apache or php badly, and then claiming that a web app has a problem.

by Ger Tielemans -
The problem is not how fast you propose a repair, but how fast WE - THE USERS - implement that proposal: normally I get - as registered admin - an emergency email from the headquarter. Not this time, yet..
Misconfiguring Apache and PHP: Soon I know everything about that smile
...but that is the real world: If you use idiot-proof tools, also idiots will use it. Well, at least one. .This was alwyas the argument not to give the user access to the resources.
So I think that the direction Skoda is pointing is the right one:
(My humble idea:  ) As extension for the install script Moodle offers now - checking the paths etc. -  it should also do a server scan AND SUGGEST a repair proposal before it wants to install.
AND an automatic instaled cron script should repeat this scan on a daily base...
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Mark Stevens -
Ger-- great idea.  It could be made part of the Moodle Health Center http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=24996 and http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=18242, right?

by Brian Koontz -
And that you can really damage the Moodle.org community just by echoing their FUD unchecked.

Which is the very reason why I limited my query to a forum with a limited audience.  A query is not FUD, especially when a developer posts such a query on a developer forum.  It's simply a query. 

The responses in this thread indicate that there are several misconceptions about security and about how application security should be handled.  For those who really believe I've done some sort of disservice by posting a question about a published exploit, I'd suggest taking a page from the OpenBSD (widely recognized as an extremely secure OS) security philosophy, and do some real-world research to debunk some of the misguided beliefs you hold:

Like many readers of the BUGTRAQ mailing list, we believe in full disclosure of security problems. In the operating system arena, we were probably the first to embrace the concept. Many vendors, even of free software, still try to hide issues from their users.

Security information moves very fast in cracker circles. On the other hand, our experience is that coding and releasing of proper security fixes typically requires about an hour of work -- very fast fix turnaround is possible. Thus we think that full disclosure helps the people who really care about security. (http://www.openbsd.org/security.html)

--Brian

In reply to Brian Koontz

by N Hansen -
What good is such disclosure if it isn't accompanied by a solution? As a non-techie, the only disclosure that is of any assistance to me is one with a solution attached to it. The more sites to which the malicious code is posted, without a solution being available (or known), the more likely it is to fall into the hands of someone who might use it for malicious purposes. I don't care if those sites are intended to protect against security breaches. They aren't just open to honest people you know. Anyone, including crackers, can visit them and take the information available there and use it-for good, and for bad. If you've got some bored student who isn't too happy with their grades surfing around the internet, they are more likely to be able to figure out how to wipe out those grades if there are more sites that host this malicious code.

I don't get the impression anyone here is suggesting that the security flaws be hidden. I am not worried about FUD. Just that information about how to exploit them not be spread without an accompanying solution. As I said, I'm not a developer, but a user. I worry more if my system is actually insecure, NOT if it is just perceived to be insecure.
In reply to Brian Koontz

by N Hansen -
Brian-I'm not a developer, but logic tells me you made a serious mistake here. The dangerous assumption you are making is that by posting this here you are reaching Moodle admins whose sites might be affected in the fastest possible way so that they can do something to fix this. However, I would guess that the vast majority of Moodle site admins do not read this site on a daily basis, and many may not even bother to read this thread if they do.

What you did do was make it easy for anyone else other than the admins to find a way to exploit Moodle sites. You have no way of knowing that a hacker wouldn't find your link and use it on a particular site before its admin was even aware of the problem. If my php settings hadn't been secure already, I would be mighty angry at you right now for having put my site at risk in this manner.

There is a more effective and less dangerous mechanism in place to notify the people who need to know about these problems. A Moodle admin signs up for notifications of such issues by email when they register their Moodle site. If you had reported this to  the security  course, I'm sure the developers would have fixed it just as quickly and notified only the people who we would want (and who need) to know about it-the admins-by email about a patch.

And to whoever has teacher rights in this forum, don't you think it is high time to delete the link to the exploit in Brian's original post? There are probably many admins out there totally unaware of this problem and by leaving this link their sites are put at increased risk to some hacker finding this.

In reply to N Hansen

by Brian Koontz -
Brian-I'm not a developer, but logic tells me you made a serious mistake here. The dangerous assumption you are making is that by posting this here you are reaching Moodle admins whose sites might be affected in the fastest possible way so that they can do something to fix this. However, I would guess that the vast majority of Moodle site admins do not read this site on a daily basis, and many may not even bother to read this thread if they do.

Which is exactly the reason why I posted here: Minimum exposure to the problem without the appearance of spreading FUD, as a previous poster so succinctly put it.

Your assumption is incorrect. I posted this on the developer's forum for a very good reason: The audience for this forum would be, in fact, the primary source of information about the issue.

What you did do was make it easy for anyone else other than the admins to find a way to exploit Moodle sites.

If you really believe this, then you also need to take your argument up with the BUGTRAQ maintainers as well, seeing as how this exploit was published there.  Do you believe BUGTRAQ does a disservice to the community by posting exploits?  If not, then you're being hypocritical.

Your argument is non-sensical. Let's extend your line of argument by saying "What open source does, by exposing the underlying code, is to make it easy for anyone else other than the admins to find a way to exploit Moodle sites." Just as non-sensical. The myth of "security through obscurity" has long been debunked. You might want to do a bit of research on this topic before making such assertions.

You also seem to have missed a very important point: The exploit was already published. In fact, it was published in at least two forums known for showcasing (for good or bad -- doesn't matter) web-based exploits. Don't you think the script kiddies already know about these sites? Rest assured that they do.

Had this been an unpublished exploit, then your argument might hold some water. In fact, had this been an unpublished exploit, I would not have posted it in a public forum. Hypocritical? Hardly. They are two very different animals.

You have no way of knowing that a hacker wouldn't find your link and use it on a particular site before its admin was even aware of the problem.

Again, the exploit was already published. I don't need to know whether or not a hacker (actually, we're more concerned about the crackers here) would find my link, because the exploit was already out there.

If my php settings hadn't been secure already, I would be mighty angry at you right now for having put my site at risk in this manner.

Then your anger would have been demonstrably misdirected, because it wasn't me that cracked your site. In fact, anger in this situation is just wasted energy: There is no application that is secure from all attacks, and your energy would be better directed at ensuring an up-to-date, secure site.

There is a more effective and less dangerous mechanism in place to notify the people who need to know about these problems. A Moodle admin signs up for notifications of such issues by email when they register their Moodle site. If you had reported this to the security course, I'm sure the developers would have fixed it just as quickly and notified only the people who we would want (and who need) to know about it-the admins-by email about a patch.

You make the ungrounded assumption that in some way the question I posed was somehow "dangerous." You also make the assumption that every Moodle admin has registered their site (the last time I checked, registration was optional). Both assumptions are false. (In fact, I've registered my site, and have never received a security alert. Never.)

And to whoever has teacher rights in this forum, don't you think it is high time to delete the link to the exploit in Brian's original post? There are probably many admins out there totally unaware of this problem and by leaving this link their sites are put at increased risk to some hacker finding this.

So by obscuring the problem, it goes away? Cover your eyes, and the monster is gone? You still seem to miss the point: The problem is here and now. Censoring my post won't make the problem go away, it won't make your site or anyone else's site more secure, and it won't help the admins who are "totally unaware" of this problem.

Your diatribe is misdirected and off-base. I don't know your background, but I'd suggest some serious reading before making wild (and false) assertions.

--Brian

In reply to Brian Koontz

The practical and social aspects of vulnerability disclosures

by John Papaioannou -
Brian,

None of the developers suggested that you should not have posted news of this exploit at all. We merely offered you a better (in my personal view, at least) alternative: submit it over at security.moodle.org instead of the general developer forum.

Of the two arguments for this, one (less exposure to potential hackers) is perhaps not too valid because, as you said, these people would have already read about it on Bugtraq. However, you might possibly bring this to the attention of a hacker faster this way and in good faith, I cannot see how this (perhaps negligible) drawback would be offset.

The second and most serious argument though, is that the people who can and want to fix this vulnerability ASAP read security.moodle.org more often than the general developer forum. Hats off to Petr Skoda and the other developers for the tireless work they are doing to keep Moodle secure, including reading the security discussions and posting patches at hours when most people are soundly asleep. They do not do that with this forum.

Finally, a few "social extensions" to this disclosure: by posting a news item such as this, a certain percentage of Moodle users will be seriously alarmed and worried. Most of them needlessly, as this exploit only works on a very uncommon PHP configuration set. And most of them because of your posting, since they don't read Bugtraq.

To better see my point, please compare the two following hypothetical statements:

A: "A critical vulnerability exists in all known versions of Moodle which allows a remote attacker to blah blah blah"

B: "A critical vulnerability has been found that affects servers running Moodle that have a certain combination of configuration settings. If you have such a server and have these settings: ... then please take the following steps immediately to secure your site"

Emphasis mine. See the difference? Nicole would definitely sleep better if B was said instead of A. And for B to be said, we need to research the problem first. Which means that the post alerting us to the vulnerability cannot be A, since then the goal of saying B is defeated. Maybe being considerate to people like Nicole isn't first on the agenda of a security researcher, but why not do it if it's a free bonus?

To sum it up: I 'm not telling you that you were spreading FUD by posting this here; but next time, if your intention really is to see the vulnerability fixed as soon as possible, please post at security.moodle.org instead. As a bonus, you will also have fewer people sleeping uncomfortably that night.

Cheers,
Jon

[edit] PS: I see now that Martin Langhoff has said practically the same things in other words a few pages above. Great minds think alike? wink
In reply to John Papaioannou

Re: The practical and social aspects of vulnerability disclosures

by Martín Langhoff -
Definitely smile

I also wanted to mention that it is important to note that full disclosure is quite controversial. I definitely don't want to replay the (otherwise really interesting) debate on full disclosure. It's been argued before, and it's still controversial. As such it pays to be respectful of both sides, and understand that both sides have good points. Wikipedia has a brief writeup and links to very good papers supporting both sides: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_disclosure

At any rate, FD isn't the ideal approach for all the projects or software products. OpenBSD fits a particular niche where hyper-aggressive disclosure is what's expected, they welcome and encourage that. If you want to know what their userbase likes, run OpenBSD as your desktop for a week wink

Given that of both sides of the debate have strong points, informed people often report security bugs privately to developers, giving them a chance to study the issue, and, if it's a real bug that needs a fix, announce it together with a patch or workaround. And if the developer/vendor doesn't respond you can resort to full disclosure.

by Haruhiko Okumura -
On the other hand I'd like to thank Brian, for if he hadn't posted it I wouldn't have noticed the vulnerability at all. I confess I didn't know security.moodle.org. I hope the moodle.org home page carry announcements of this importance, or at least link to the security site. Disclosure doesn't hurt Moodle.
In reply to Haruhiko Okumura

by Timothy Takemoto -

I am grateful to Brian too. And of course still more to Petra Skodak for fixing it.

We do not seem to have reached closure here. Where will we, should we exchange security reports in future?

It is nice to have a forum where security issues can be report but some people would rather be part of that forum.

The disclose / not disclose issue thus partly depends upon whether one sees the community as being divided into "developers" and "the general moodle populace."

Whether there is a select group of developers that solve the security "problems" held by the rank and fine, or rather a more homogenuis community of users that share issues, which they see as both problematic and as things to solve simulaneously.

Incidentally, Brian developed one of the most important parts of my moodle.

Thank you Brian and Skodak

Timothy

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Martín Langhoff -

If you have a security concern, or have spotted something that looks like an exploit against Moodle, please report it via http://security.moodle.org . We usually have a fantastic turnaround time (mostly thanks to Skodak), and we'll have figured out whether it is for real, and what fixes and/or workarounds are needed, gotten back to you and made an announcement.

Posting things to security.moodle.org ensures that it gets to the eyes of the security team quickly (not everybody follows general developer forom closely). It also makes the work of the security team much easier, and prevents needless risks and panics.

Please, do this even if the vulnerability has already been posted somewhere on the internet. For real vulnerabilities, the actual risks during the exposure window depend a lot on how the information spreads. Ideally, it should spread fast among the developers who can help you, and we should not help its spread in, ahem, other communities wink

If you feel security.moodle.org does not address your concerns in a timely fashion, and trying to contact the core developers doesn't work (our email addresses are very public!), you can opt to discuss it in the forums. This is always risky -- if you find yourself in the unenviable position of having to discuss this in an open forum... be careful with what you post.

This approach is generally known as giving the 'vendor' (in this case the Moodle.org dev community) advance warning, and is what most people in the software and network security consider to be best practice.

For the record, the report to security.moodle.org was not made by Brian but by Miles Berry.

by Timothy Takemoto -
Dear Martin Langhoff

Thank you very much for putting your point of view very clearly. 

The only thing I am not sure about are the itallics in your last line. I guess that did not refer to my post. I did not mean to suggest that Brian reported the vulnerability to your security forum.

I guess you know that when I wrote
> Incidentally, Brian developed one of the most important parts of my moodle.
I was refering to the fact that Brian Koontz designed and developed the course date managert block that I use very extensively. As such, he might be called a devoloper, and as such he might be, or might expect to be privy to the latest in security issue information.

I would like to reiterate that there is more than one way of seeing the Moodle community as being:
A) one with  "vendor" (developers) that help, and the "general populace" of "users" that are helped
or
B) as being more homogenius wherein there are many people are to some extents, both users and developers, that to varying degrees, help and are helped.

The extent one exposes either (A) or (B) will also be a question of degree. And as such there is bound to be a lot of different takes on the issue. The more that one see things in terms of (A) above, the greater the advantages of mitigating full-disclosure, the greater that one sees the community in terms of (B) then the greater the chance that one would prefer full-disclosure.

Your reply seems to lean towards stance (A), which may be the truth, or largely the truth. And I may be mistaken in my interpretation. I merely wish to point out that there are other (possibly mistaken) views upon the situation.

Cheers,

Tim
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Martín Langhoff -

Tim,

I like the Moodle community particularly because it has a lot of variety of skills, interests and goals. Access to information is very homogeneous and open, and that's something that I like, and want to encourage.

It's always a matter of degree, but I lean towards B myself smile And still, full disclosure is probably not what you want -- there's a lot of debate on the matter, and I don't want to re-hash it here, feel free to follow the Wikipedia links. The debate has settled on a range of takes on 'responsible disclosure' -- and in an open source project, where there's no single vendor to speak of, you can argue that it is a matter of trust.

If you are running Moodle, you have at least some trust in the core team (and of course you can verify it by auditing code, but trust is the social mechanism to avoid that enormously costly endeavour). So hopefully it makes sense to trust them to have a go at dealing with the problem. Of course, if they drop the ball...

If nothing else, security.moodle.org is a means of making sure the core team jumps on it immediately. I am rather lazy reading general developer forum myself.

As to whether Brian is one of the core developers, I don't know really. He's got a space in /contrib and that's the best way to get into it smile

by Bill Burgos -
Martin,

I think that you seemed to have gotten to the point.

The issue is really that the the developers, the ones who are going to fix the problems, are asking for cooperation in knowing about the problem first through security.moodle.org. Simple enough.

As I have trusted the Security bunch to take care of problems up to now, I see no reason not to trust them with this request.

Why the resistance?

Fuzzy, Non-dual, Advaita, Communities and Security Forums

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Martin
> It's always a matter of degree, but I lean towards B myself.  
> And still, full disclosure is probably not what you want

I agree with you smile .

BTW I came to this thread because I was looking for the url of the security forum. Being incapable of curing security issues myself I am more than happy to have a "post your problems here" box. (Thanks again).

But bearing in mind the nature of the community, vectors such such as those between "core"/perifery, "trusted"/un-trusted, helpers/"helped", "developer"/"user", "vendor"/"user", "general-populace"/Pennysmile*, should be of a level of fuzziness, non-duality, advaita to reflects the homogeneity that we agree exists.  

Concretely, perhaps you might consider extending membership of the security forum to a wider subset of Moodle users?

Tim

*I am joking, and see Penny as definately 'non-general-populace'.

In reply to John Papaioannou

by Brian Koontz -
Save for one post (thanks, Haruhiko!), all I've gotten in return for posting a link to an exploit already disclosed (and later linked to on the front page of security.m.o, I might add) is lecture after lecture about how wrong I was. I can assure everyone that I'm well aware of both sides of the full disclosure argument, and after many years of dealing with this issue, I know exactly where I stand. So there's really no need to continue to chastise me.

Instead, each of you who took such great offense to my posting should instead consider the ramifications of trying to force the Moodle community to view Moodle through rose-colored glasses. "Nicole" might very well be quite upset should she learn that her Moodle installation was hacked, with not one mention of said threat having yet to appear in the Moodle forums.

So here we all are, in one big impasse. I believe I did nothing wrong. Some of you believe I'm guilty of fear-mongering and hysteria. So in the spirit of compromise, I'd like to offer a few suggestions of my own in an effort to break the impasse:

1. Create a forum on moodle.org dedicated to security alerts. Don't hide it away behind its own domain, hoping that those with the "need to know" are the only ones who happen upon it. It's my belief that every person who is involved in working with Moodle has a "need to know."

2. Stop jumping up and down if a security exploit that has already made the rounds on the Internet is brought up for discussion. Discussion is good. Don't insult the collective intelligence of Moodlers by trying to control what they see and hear about Moodle. If there's an exploit that's already been disclosed, better to discuss it here than have people learn about it the hard way.

3. Prominently post the link to report security issues on moodle.org. Acting like Moodle has no security issues is just setting up Moodle users who might not know better for a bigger fall. It all gives the appearance of being proactive about security, rather than reactive and secretive.

--Brian

In reply to Brian Koontz

by N Hansen -
Don't speak for me Brian. I would have been upset if after you had alerted the people at security.moodle.org, and they did nothing about it. You assume they would have hidden it, and you have no proof that they would have. I would have been happy to have been informed of the vulnerability, with instructions how to deal with it, without the code for hacking my site having been posted. I am aware of the problem not just because you posted it, but because I read these forums every day. Who's to say if I didn't do so that a hacker wouldn't have found this thread before I did?

Whether the code is out there already or not is not the point. The more places it is available, the more likely it is to be found. By posting a link to it here, you ensure that it will get into Google's database faster. You ensure that it will have a higher ranking in Google's search engine. There are small scale hackers out there who may not know all of the sites to get such codes from yet.

Some sensible reading is here. Especially the section on Full Disclosure and Resposibilty.
In reply to N Hansen

by Brian Koontz -
I've been reading what Bruce Schneier has had to say about security for years.  I find it ironic that you decided to link to this specific article.  Schneier has always been known for his stand against security through obscurity (and variants thereof), so I appreciate your indirect support of my position.

At any rate, no one is speaking for you, least of all me.  You and others are the ones who made the decision to make a federal case out of this.  You support your arguments with false assumptions and assertions that simply are not backed up by reliable evidence.  You state that "by posting a link to it here, you ensure that it will get into Google's database faster."  Yet you in no way attempt to substantiate this claim to be true.  You state "[I] ensure that it will have a higher ranking in Google's search engine."  Pardon me?  What proof do you have that Moodle's forums somehow rank higher than, say, Bugtraq postings?

I'll say it again:  Your anger is misdirected.  If anything, please read the link you yourself posted. Please read it carefully.  I think you'll find, if you really reflect on the issue, that Schneier's position about full disclosure is in line with my original post that started this thread.

If there is any FUD being spread about, it's irresponsible assertions like the ones you have made which will cause people to think twice about discussing security issues (whether here or elsewhere).  Stifling open discussion of security concerns is a far greater crime than posting an exploit that has already been released "in the wild."

--Brian
In reply to Brian Koontz

by Martín Langhoff -

If anything, please read the link you yourself posted. Please read it carefully. I think you'll find, if you really reflect on the issue, that Schneier's position about full disclosure is in line with my original post that started this thread.

Hmmm. I think you are reading Schneier with some preconceptions. As I mentioned earlier, the FD debate is complex, deep and mature. As such, any interesting and well explained position will support both sides: disclosure and non-disclosure. So yes, Bruce supports Nicole, and he supports your position too. But don't feel a winner just yet. He actually ends up arguing that the only sane thing to do is "responsible disclosure" (he doesn't use that term, though).

That's why it's an interesting debate, one that you have to read with both eyes open.

If you read Bruce's discussions on the window if exposure, it depends a lot on the flow of information -- who gets it and when. That is why we definitely prefer to get the information early in the hands of the developers who you trust and can help you -- even if it's been published somewhere. And then get out of their hair while they figure out whether the thread is real and provide a fix if needed.

That's all -- plain and simple.

Everything else is noise and gets in the way.

by Brian Koontz -
Everything else is noise and gets in the way.

It's too bad you and your inner circle view open discussion about Moodle security as "noise."  It's on par with the extremely patronizing attitude that's been on display here, that I've been an errant little schoolboy who needs to be taken to task for speaking my mind in class.

You have effectively insulted not only me, but also that segment of the Moodle community with the technical background capable of sustaining open dialog about security issues.  You and your group have certainly generated enough static in this discussion to have effectively masked any intelligent conversation about what type of security policies best suit the various interests of the Moodle community.  The party line has been made crystal clear to me and others:  We are to blindly put our faith and trust in your hands, and question nothing.

And that's a real shame, because it's obvious that all of us can learn quite a bit from one another.

In reply to Brian Koontz

by N Hansen -
It's on par with the extremely patronizing attitude that's been on display here, that I've been an errant little schoolboy who needs to be taken to task for speaking my mind in class.

You have effectively insulted not only me, but also that segment of the Moodle community with the technical background capable of sustaining open dialog about security issues.

Patronizing? Reread the way you responded to me...

You can engage in all of the dialog you want about the merits and drawbacks of full disclosure and what is done at other open source projects, and whether the developers should be patting eachother on the back or at eachother's throats. But at the end of the day, this shouldn't be about debating theory. What really is important to the actual users and the viability of Moodle itself is that our Moodle installations are secure. Frankly, I don't care who wins the debate in this thread or if anyone wins at all, I just want my site to be secure. Programmers and developers should serve their customers' needs, not their own egos and need to be right. And as a customer, I feel that the process that the developers have outlined for submitting reports on security matters is what serves us customers best.
In reply to Brian Koontz

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think the point is not about disclosing it, but also giving developers a chance to know about it and fix it (asap, I might add wink

Disclosing the vulnerability in some forum (moodle's or other) where developers in charge of moodle's security are not going to find it (because you don't know if they read it or not) isn't going to buy you anything useful, specially given that the exploit is already out there.

I'm all for full disclosure, but I'm even more for responsible full disclosure (as described in the URL linked to by N Hansen).

Saludos. Iñaki.

P.S. I agree with you that security.moodle.org is not widely known, and is not mentioned in the front page of moodle.org. I think this should be "fixed".

In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by D LA -

I read this post with great interest. Security is a great issue in todays arena.

I would have to give to Kudos to Martin D for replying to my email with in hours of my ticket asking for help with this possible issue.

I wish I could get that kind of service with all providers...

smile

I would have to say that the bigger Moodle gets the larger a target they become for hackers...

Kudos to Martin, Moodle and all of YOU who make this constructivist conversation possible.

In reply to Brian Koontz

by Rob Johnson -
The Google news feeds that show on the Moodle home page disclosed this problem on the same day as Brian.  It was on Moodle.org that I became aware of it, and then came upon this discussion.

Rob
In reply to Brian Koontz

by Mark Stevens -
Group hug smile  We are all on the same team, right?  We are all pulling together, right?

Martin has already thanked everyone for reporting the "bug":
http://security.moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=186
(and he has lamented that he wasn't told directly by the "bug's discoverer")

I'm sure we all have learned a lot from this thread, but can we relax and get back to Moodling? smile

Thanks to all for helping make this software and community the best on the planet smile
In reply to Brian Koontz

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'd just like to point out that security.moodle.org is definitely the official mechanism to report, solve and publish fixes for Moodle security problems (it now even says so on the Moodle front page).  Please use it and help our community work efficiently.  Even if you're just passing on a link to information elsewhere. 

If for some reason this existing process seems not to be working then please feel free to pursue other means of getting answers.