SCORM/Authorware/etc.

SCORM/Authorware/etc.

by Laura Black -
Number of replies: 11
Hey all!  Sorry if this is posted in the forum and I've stared right at it (perhaps even read it) and didn't get it.

I'm working on a project for doing e-learning for the Navy, who requires SCORM (2004 or better) compliancy.  We are already using Authorware as our primary builder, and do not have a copy of the Navy's LMS (apparantly it was once a COTS product, and then they "spruced it up" a bit)

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to do basic SCORM compliancy (e.g. I have an authorware file with pictures of my cats and their names, buttons are there, one even has a quiz question)  How do I go from there to saying "Haha!  This is SCORM Compliant!  These are the steps to follow to ensure our product complies and we get paid!"  I've downloaded the tools off of adlnet, and I'm driving myself crazy at this point.  Do i need to use a tool like Moodle (will Moodle help me be a happier human being, its opensource so using it should help karma-wise right?)  I've downloaded and installed Reload.

Any help would be very very appreciated, as I feel like I'm reading tons of material, without finding the ok, you have this, go do this, sorta guide.  (I would be happy to help put together one later on if people want to collaborate through IEEE or some other body).

thanks!

-l.
laura.j.black@saic.com
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Laura Black

Re: SCORM/Authorware/etc.

by Mike Close -

Laura,

I feel your pain. I spent the last two years hoping for such a solution, and the bottom line is that the solution only exists by pouring over the documentation on the ADLnet.org site. Here's the nutshell, but if you do a project for the navy with only this information, you will run into trouble. The best I can do for you is point you to ADLs "SCORM 2004 Conformance Requirements" pdf file and offer my consulting servicessmile I lived on the ADL product downloads page while I was learning to develop for the SCORM.

The gist: For a SCO to be SCORM 2004(versions 1.3 through 1.3.3) compliant, it must find the LMS API called "API_1484_11" (ADLnet.org has sample javascript for this that pretty-much-everyone uses), call the function "Initialize("")," and call the function "Terminate("")." A SCO that conforms to these minimum requirements doesn't actually communicate any data about the student to the LMS. It just starts communication and stops it. It sounds like you will want to go at least one step beyond this and utilize the "SetValue(cmi.score.raw,"variableThatHoldsYourScore")" somewhere in between Initialize() and Terminate() to record the results of the quiz.

*this only applies to the minimum requirements of the SCO, it doesn't address conformance requirements of the Content Package, Manifest or Metadata. There may be tools out there that can help you build these items, but I haven't looked for any SCORM2004 metadata generators. You can get "ManifestMaker" from the learning section of the Dreamweaver Exchange on Macromedia.com, which creates minimal SCORM 1.2 manifest files and grabs the XSD control files from the web, then use the ADL XML Transformer and the XSLT documents to convert it to a SCORM 2004 manifest.

Here are the XML tools from ADLnet.org:
ADL XML Transformer v 1.1
SCORM1.2 - 2004 Metadata XSLT v 1.1
SCORM1.2 - 2004 Manifest XSLT v 1.1

There is a new L5 SCORM Producer MXP on the Dreamweaver Exchange, but it is only for Dreamweaver 8, and it doesn't say what version(s) of SCORM it packages for. I'm still on MX2004, so I can't tell you anything about it. If anyone know anything about the new L5 SCORM Producer, let us know which versions it supports!

To answer your first question, no, Moodle won't help you in this endeavor. Moodle is not SCORM2004 conformant yet, and it seems to be unpredictable at times with SCORM courseware. If I were you I would download the ADL Test Suite and launch your courseware through it to test and to see if it meets minimum SCORM2004 requirements.

I hope this helps!

Mike Close
eLearning System Coordinator
Graduate Medical Education
Doctors Hospital, OhioHealth

In reply to Mike Close

by eva weber -
Hi Mike.

the L5 Scorm Producer MXP for Dreamweaver 8 package for Scorm 1.2 unfortunately.

Greets

Eva
In reply to Laura Black

by Andrew Hu -
Authorware does produce SCORM2004 compliant material out of the box. You can use the KO's or role your own. Check the Goodies folder on your Authorware disc for a complete examples. Andrew Chemey and AEC Consulting have a LMS emulator which allows you test for compliancy within Authorware (You don't need an LMS though I agree with Mike download the ADL test suite). We have converted some 300 Authorware programs to SCORM for the Australian Navy by adding a calculation icon at the start and end of the flow to handle all our SCORM comms and left the rest of Flowlinew.
In reply to Andrew Hu

by Mike Close -

Hey, wow, that sounds pretty easy!  I should start using Authorware again!

mike

In reply to Andrew Hu

by Hector Dominguez -
I have been developing some courses for the army and I have some problems passing the ADL test (the SCO part), I get a LMS initialize error. I added the LMS initialize KO, but I have not been able to move forward. Can you post what you add to the flowline?
In reply to Andrew Hu

by Cor van Dooren -
Hi all,

I am a developer for the Royal Netherlands Army.

I normally develop in Flash CS3 but have some legacy Authorware 7.02 wich now has to be published in Moodle.

I was wondering if someone can give me a clear and simpel example how to communicate with Moodel from Authorware and back?

I really only need to read and write to cmi.suspend_data.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Cor van Dooren

In reply to Cor van Dooren

by Theo Dekkers -

Cor we zijn er al uit hoor.

gewoon de suspend data gebruiken van scorm 1.2

theo

In reply to Andrew Hu

by William Peterson -

I think the solution could be easily done with any e-learning consultancy, becoz the SCORM compliance is not that simple as usually do.

By the way, Authorware is still not my choice as e-learning authoring tools, as Flash technology seems much superior on this. any SCORM  expects with certified for help?

William Peterson
http://www.sameshow.com/blog/

In reply to William Peterson

by Cor van Dooren -
I agree about the Flash choice.
But I have some legacy and there is no easy rebuilding it into Flash at this moment.
So I have to write/read some variables into Moodle from Authorware.

The KO's of Andrew Chemey won't do the job, so I need some custom code.

Anyone????

Thanks
Cor van Doroen
In reply to Cor van Dooren

by Ron Meske -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
It has been quite a long time since I have worked with Authorware and heard Andrew's name mentioned. I have created SCORM wrappers for a variety of courses created in a variety of ways. You can message me through my profile with specifics and contact information and we can determine what can be done.

Thanks,
Ron