Can't display correct answer when using shortanswer type in a cloze question.

Can't display correct answer when using shortanswer type in a cloze question.

by Alexander Kuo -
Number of replies: 16

After taking a quiz including a cloze question, students can't view the correct answer of a shortanswer type. However, the other types such as multichoice, numerical work well. Is this a bug? I use Moodle 1.5.2 + FreeBSD 5.3

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alexander Kuo

Re: Can't display correct answer when using shortanswer type in a cloze question.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Alexander,
When you say the students can't view the correct answer, do you mean they can't see the feedback message (if there is any)? If that is the case, then in cloze questions the feedback is displayed upon hovering the mouse over the answer box.
Could you post an example or a screen dump?
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Can't display correct answer when using shortanswer type in a cloze question.

by Alexander Kuo -
Joseph,
As the image below, it only tells the students where they go wrong by using red colors. Is it possible for students to know the correct answer they answered wrongly?  or does it have to use "feedback" to show the correct answer?
In reply to Alexander Kuo

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Exactly, the only way for the students to know what was the correct answer of a question they answered wrongly is through the feedback to their wrong answer(s) formulated by incorporating the correct answer.

Example

The capital of France is [ ].

expected correct answer: Paris

expected wrong student responses: London, Tokyo, dunno

analysis

The capital of France is {1:SHORTANSWER:.*#It is Paris, of course~=Paris#Congratulations~%50%Marseille#No, that is the second largest city in France (after Paris)}

response: Paris -> feedback = Congratulations

response: Marseille -> feedback = No, that is the second largest city in France (after Paris)

response: any other response -> feedback = It is Paris, of course

NOTES
  • the .* coding meaning "any character string" will not work in Moodle 1.5, due to a bug; it works in 1.5.2
  • by putting the correct answer in the feedback messages, you give away the answer; this means that you should limit attempts to one!
Hope this helps,
Joseph
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Orestes Mas -
Picture of Translators
Let me ask two simple questions:

1) Why the partially correct answer is getting a mark of 0.1, if it's set to 50%?

2) Do you know if the "partially correct" syntax works well when the question is of numerical type?

Thanks a lot

In reply to Orestes Mas

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Orestes,

The correction of my previous posted should answer your first question.

Since I never ever use numerical type questions, I cannot answer your second question. Sorry!

Joseph

by Joseph Rézeau -

Oopsblush!

Correction of my previous post.

Enter this code into the cloze question:

The capital of France is {1:SHORTANSWER:~=Paris#Congratulations!~%50%Marseille#No, that is the second largest city in France (after Paris).~%0%.*#Wrong answer. The capital of France is Paris, of course.}

(and set Penalty factor to zero)

Results: (see attached screen dump)

Careful: in order for the .* = any answer = wrong answer to work, it must be placed after the correct answers!

Looks like a certain number of regular users of the cloze format question in Moodle quiz lament the lack of a) proper documentation and b) ergonomic, user-friendly interface for entering questions. Should we file a "feature request" to ask for these improvements? Any takers?

Joseph

by Joseph Rézeau -

I've just noticed that the use of .* as a catchall for wrong answers only works in version 1.5.2

of Moodle (does not work in 1.5, 1.5.3 nor 1.6) !

Can someone please confirm (or infirm) this?

Joseph

by Guido van der Waals -

Dear Joseph,

Do you have already an answer or a solution?

Greetings Guido

In reply to Guido van der Waals

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Guido,

I am proposing a new, improved student answer analysis system in this post. You are welcome to test it on my test site (all details in my post).

I'm hoping my proposal will be incorporated into forthcoming Moodle version 1.6smile

All the best,

Joseph

by Guido van der Waals -

Hi Joseph,

I have downloaded moodle_regexp_JR_153.

On my site I have replaced the old questiontype.php in yours. But the feedback for the wrong answers doesn't work.

Could you give me a hint?

by Guido van der Waals -

Sorry Joseph,

I was forgotten to replace the questiontype.php in "multianswer".

Now it works fine.

thanks

by Guido van der Waals -

Joseph,

A new problem.

Try a question with an answer like: {1:SHORTANSWER:~=2/5}.

You get the next warning: preg_match(): Unknown modifier '5' in /home/.../questiontype.php on line 236.

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Guido,

There are two possibilities to make your "arithmetic" question work in my modified question types. It really should be entered as a NUMERICAL type of question. I have not touched this type of question in my modified files, because I have no use for such questions in my teaching.

Simplify this fraction: 4/10 (expected answer is 2/5)

• numerical type {1:NUMERICAL:~=2/5#Right!}.

• shortanswer type (with RegExp analysis) {1:SHORTANSWER:~=2\/5#Right!~.*#Sorry, try again}

Please note that if you enter your question as SHORTANSWER it automatically goes through my RegExp analysis system and must follow that system's rules. Here, the RegExp special character / (forward slash) must be escaped (i.e. preceded by \, backslash).

List of special characters which must be escaped: .^$*()[]+?|/

I have put your question on my test site, Topic 3, Miscellanous questions.

Joseph

by Jeff Forssell -
"in my modified question types"

Are you talking about a quiz module that is in the latest Moodle? Or is it some extra thing you have made that must be put in after installing Moodle or by modifying something in it?  (Hope I'll not exposing a shamefull amount of laziness. I haven't checked all the post in the thread)

The numerical part sounds very interesting for me (since I work mostly with math and physics).

by N Hansen -
.* as a catchall does work in 1.5.
In reply to N Hansen

by Joseph Rézeau -
Which brand of 1.5 ? which date?