My changes for attendance block

My changes for attendance block

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Number of replies: 15
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

I didn't attach new version because my customizations was change the database. I think the changes necessary but I want consult with main developers. ;o)

Changes:

1. Fields type "Date" and "DateTime" changed to Int(10) (as all other tables) and timestamp using now (database will automaticaly upgrade).
  2. Name of main index changed to "id". It's a good think for all time.
  3. New tab "Report" added. It show attendances of all past sessions for all students and calculate count of P, A, E, L.
  4. Leters P, A, E, L getting from lang file for possibility translation.
  5. Show all information about student attendances in student mode.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dmitry Pupinin

Re: My changes for attendance block

by A. T. Wyatt -
This all sounds very good!  I am anxious to see the attendance block be useful for all faculty, especially since we have so many different ways of doing things.  Does this integrate with the gradebook at all?  Many classes at our university include attendance as a percentage of the student's grade.

I hope we will have a new, improved version of attendance soon.  It is a feature that we will find very useful.

Thank you for your efforts!  And thanks to the Human Logic team and the rest of the developers as well!
atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Dmitry Pupinin -

Thanks!

Does this integrate with the gradebook at all?

I was assign this question to myself and main developers but I don't have an answer...

I have researched the source code and didn't find way that Blocks could be integrate in gradebook... so main developers should upgrade grading mechanism before (assigned as bug 4226).

by dorella dore -

I've done a little reserch myself and I agree: the better solution seems

- add to attendance block the choice of being evaluated or not (as it happens for forums)

- a simple but necessary change in gradebook

Thank you for your work.

In reply to dorella dore

by Dmitry Pupinin -
  • add to attendance block the choice of being evaluated or not (as it happens for forums)

Yes, of course.
I also think about different rating for P, A, E, L which teacher can adjust.

by Somaroy Gabbita -

The settings for PAEL are already present for the attendance block from previous release if some of you have missed it. These setting are provided in configuration > blocks settings. because these settings cannot be course based but are school based settings . so the administrator can set different names for P A E L and the way that tehy are evaluated through out their school.

Thanks.

by Adam Johnston -
Well as soon as you release I will try it out.  Sounds like just what I was wanting from this block.  Seeing as there hasn't been much action around on this block for a little bit now I would love to have a new version with new features smile
In reply to Adam Johnston

by Adam Johnston -
Just curious to know if you heard anything so I can know when you may be willing to let some of us at the new code.  Patiently waiting, but was kinda hoping to have it in place for our teachers next week so I figured I'd see what you were up to smile
In reply to Adam Johnston

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.

by Dmitry Pupinin -
OK. I'm ready for publish new version of Attendance block.

Be careful! This version is beta because many changes was implemented. Backup database before install!

Changes:
6. You can take attendances and view reports by groups.
7. Source code generaly modified with moodle's standarts.
8. Percents calculation modified (excused means present).

PS: To developers: Would you give me rights for update this block in CVS?

by Somaroy Gabbita -

Hi,

Thanks for the updates on the attendance block . Iam the lead developer from the Human Logic Development team for attance block. The attendance block which was submitted by you last time with minor changes in code standard was published in the CVS of moodle sometime ago. I would like to take a look at this block too , check for any bugs and think about any possible enhancements and release in the CVS. We are working on the block for further enhancements. Thanks.

by Somaroy Gabbita -

Dear Dmitry ,
                    This is Somaroy from Human Logic again .Your work towards the enhancement of the attendance block is greatly appreciated.But the block seems to be highly unstable . These are some of the bugs that I encountered once i installed the block : 

1. The settings link in the cofiguration>blocks which allows you to set the values for the variables used to denote present absent excused and late and their relevant calculation system in relation to the attendance calculation method has been completely ignored from the previous release . These are very essential settings for the block to make it really flexible for the users to have personal settings in the way that the block is used.

2. The block errors when it is shown on the home page of moodle which is course 0 which is not any particular course are not handled. It gives error message saying courseidwrong and when the continue button is pressed in that location it goes to a invalid URL saying Fatal error: Class 'block_base' not found in blocks\attendance\block_attendance.php on line 5.  ( These were handled properly displaying a message in the previous version released by Human Logic.)

3. If there are no students present in a course and when we click take attendance button it gives errors saying  Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in blocks\attendance\updateattendance.php on line 118 (These were handled properly displaying a message in the previous version released by Human Logic. )

4. The new report tab added works with proper url only when moodle is installed in the root of the webserver. Like www.domainname.com but does not work inside a folder. The URL generation variable has a problem.

5. After taking attendance in a course, updating attendance does not work. The attendance values which were previously selected for each student are messed up.

6. In taking attendance, default Absent in your release but selecting  Present by default is more appropriate as the number of students attending the class should be more than that of the ones being absent.(most of the time.)

7. In attendance home page, the title is coming like attendance, this is not defined in language file.

PS : I suggest that you follow the same pattern that the block is developed so that we dont loose upon features and end up with bugs as we progress.  We will incorporate the report tab properly and release it in the CVS once its ready and if you have any suggestion please post.

In reply to Somaroy Gabbita

by Tim Allen -
Hi Somaroy,

I haven't tried Dimitry's version of your block and so cannot comment on those bugs.  However, did you notice that there are some serious bugs in the second version of your block that you released recently?

I appreciate your team's work in enhancing Moodle, thanks a lot.  smile

Tim.
In reply to Tim Allen

by Somaroy Gabbita -

Hi Tim,

Those bugs were fixed and now moodle CVS daily build has the latest copy of attendance block which works fine. and anyways if you need that here is it which works fine and please do not hesitate to post any bugs you find in this so that we can fix them ASAP.

In reply to Somaroy Gabbita

by Dmitry Pupinin -
  1. The settings link in the cofiguration>blocks which allows you to set the values for the variables used to denote present absent excused and late and their relevant calculation system in relation to the attendance calculation method has been completely ignored from the previous release . These are very essential settings for the block to make it really flexible for the users to have personal settings in the way that the block is used.

Sorry, I was miss update of module... WHY MESSAGE ABOUT IT PUBLISHED IN "MESSAGES" FORUM (this about messaging system)???

by Dmitry Pupinin -

Important!

Please, don't apply version attendance_1.0.2_beta on your system! This version based on not the last version from Human Logic.

I didn't know about new version because it were present on other forum and I don't see it in CVS.

Within a few days I try to implement my changes in fresh version of block.