RSS feed problem

RSS feed problem

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi!

Using Moodle 1.5

a) on my home local installation : Windows XP, Apache/2.0.54 (Win32) PHP/5.0.4)

b) at my university: Linux Red Hat Internet access via a proxy

insertion of RSS threads works on my home server, NOT at university.

I know there is a bug in Moodle 1.5 which means that only an admin is allowed to add a news feed URL (see this thread)...

In the meantime, I have (as Admin on my local site) and I have asked admin at my university to add RSS URLS for the whole site.

And this is where the behavior of my local site and the university site differ: on my local site, I can add RSS URLS and, when I log in as teacher, see those URLs available for me to choose from, but on our university site, as teacher, I can only see empty boxes, no titles, and clicking blind on those boxes produces this error message:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /applis/Internet/moodle-1.5+/blocks/rss_client/block_rss_client.php on line 201

Why this problem? Our admin has enabled the proxy to accept those URLs, he has also tested the test recommended by Daryl Hawes on Tuesday, 28 June 2005, in this thread... all to no avail. We still can't enable RSS feeds sitewide. Any ideas anyone???

Thanks in advance,

Joseph

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: RSS feed problem

by Daryl Hawes -
"I know there is a bug in Moodle 1.5 which means that only an admin is allowed to add a news feed URL (see this thread)..."

You'll note at the bottom of that thread - the problem was fixed in 1.5.2+.

"Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /applis/Internet/moodle-1.5+/blocks/rss_client/block_rss_client.php on line 201"

This error you're seeing tells me you are not using the latest rss_client code as well - this was fixed in 1.5.2+.

If the block is working at home and not on a server behind a proxy what does that tell you? It tells me that the server behind the proxy cannot access the remote feed on its own. Remember that the client loading the page is not the one loading the remote RSS url. The server makes the request for the remote feed itself and therefore must be allowed to and verified to be able to.

Daryl
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Daryl,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I know the bug was fixed in 1.5.2+approve, but our admin does not want to upgrade to 1.5.2 yetsad.
Our admin says he set our university proxy to accept the remote feed(s), and that the proxy is not the problem.
Still in the dark.black eye
Thanks anyway,
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Daryl Hawes -
You do not need to update the entire distro to 1.5.2+. Just grab the rss_client block folder and overwrite the current one. You might want to ask your admin to do just this. It will suppress your foreach errors at least. Likely will do nothing about the ability to load the remote feeds though.
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Chris Blake -
We had the RSS feed problem. Moodle 1.9 with Apache on Win2003 server. We solved it by taking off the authentication on our ISA Proxy. This also allows Yoyu Tube stuff to be embedded. We just don't understand *why* this solved the problem. Something to do with a remote site passing through our firewall/proxy ? But we couldn't get RSS feeds from isnide our domain either. Changing the ISA settings fixed both RSS problems and the You Tube problem.  If someone could explain exactly why, I should be very grateful.