Respondus

Respondus

by Herman van Keulen -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

Is Respondus a handy tool to import exams in Moodle?

http://www.respondus.com/

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Herman van Keulen

Re: Respondus

by Timothy Takemoto -

I tried it out. Since it is client side, on your machine, it has speed and stability unmatched by an online line GUI (in Moodle, Blackbank or Web$T) . However, none of the other systems it supports seem to have the feedback option on each response (only one item of feedback for all answers). Since I like the feedback option I did not bother to save and upload to moodle. I asked respondus to suppport Moodle but they replied that they are surveying the use of the various EMS and will support Moodle when there is enough demand. I think that it is or could be a useful tool so I recommend that you get in touch with them, asking to support the moodle import format. Which is

This is a question. {~this is an incorrect answer.#and feedback on the incorrect answer. =This is the correct answer.#and feedback on the correct answer. ~30%This is a partially correct answer. #and feedback on the the partially correct answer}

But you knew this.

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just a slight correction, that format is the "Missing Word" format and is pretty specific to multiple choice questions with a missing word in the question.

It's not actually the "Moodle format". In fact, there is no Moodle format - I'd rather see Moodle use existing formats (IMS QTI, WebCT, Blackboard) than inventing a new proprietary one.

Note that, thanks to Scott, Moodle already supports Blackboard format so presumably Respondus questions can already be used.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Timothy Takemoto -

I am sorry Martin. You are of course, entirely right about that being the Missing word format, and that it would be better to be able to stick to existing standards. I did not mean to suggest the "question{=etc #etc ~etc}" format is important at all, and stand corrected.

However, it is sad that respondus does not support the format of moodle questions, which allow the teacher to give feedback on each and every responses individually. When I last tried Respondus, there did not seem to be a way of giving feedback each and every answer, and so since I like to give feedback on every answer, I decided not to use it. I see that Respondus supports Blackboard. They have that output selection. But when I set the outbput selection to Blackboard, and all the  other output modes, in none of them could I see a field for giving feedback on all questions.

I read here that the Blackboard format uses an Extensible Markup Language or something, so I would have thought that it would be extensible to include feedback on every answer, but from looking at Respondus it seems that it is not possible to do so. If indeed it is not possible to support feedback on all answers using the Blackboard file format, then as things stand it would be necessary to use the missing word format that I mentioned in my previous post. But, I have no particular fondness for the missing word format, only for the functionality that Moodle offers. I heartily wish that respondus supports that functionality it in the future.

For myself, I would rather like to enter data using M$ Excel saved to comma seperated variables file, since it would make it easier to see which fields I have yet to fill in.

Tim