WHY did you choose Moodle ?

WHY did you choose Moodle ?

by Fabian Schulz -
Number of replies: 22

It's not a real "problem" and it's a little off-topic, but I need to explain in my study-report *why* I choosed Moodle for my project here. I mean there are a bunch of other open source- eLearning systems on the market, so

"What do you think makes Moodle so special, that you decided to choose it for your situation?"

I really like to here other opinions ... wink

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fabian Schulz

Re: WHY did you choose Moodle ?

by Tony Ruggiero -

Fabian:

Well first and foremost in my mind is the support I was able to get from Martin and all the other developers out there. We tried another platform and failed to get answers to major issues that concerned us. These folks here are great and willing to put up with basic questions from newbie developers.

To quote one of my students "Moodle Rocks!" biggrin.gif

Just my humble opinion,

Tony

by Dixie Harrison -

Short and fast I'm afraid but the list goes: features, ease of installation and maintenance, the amount of control and features the instructors have in their classroom - and not the least of which, out of pocket costs.  We tried several and I assure you that the frustration level was high.  Several of the virtual classroom products made me wonder if the people writing them had anything to do with education or any idea that the instructors need intuitive controls.  Moodle is pretty intuitive (I'm _still_ explaining that you "add a resource" to "add a page"  *chuckle*  They'll get it one of these days though.) and most of my instructors say that the more they use it, the better they like it.

We like it too because it's open source - which means lots of input and good ideas to the designer.  I personally like open source because it is my belief that if the person sat down and accomplished it because they wanted to, vice they were told to do it, they tend to put more into it.  The dedication level shown by Martin is extremely high.

In the end, our instructors were given a choice of academic.com or on-site hosting with Moodle.  They still have that choice but by far and large their choice is Moodle for ease of use, on-site location (translates as: we know who to yell at when something goes wrong wink.gif ) and "customer support".

by steve ve -
There are several reasons why I chose Moodle.

The development community is active. There are many learning management systems out there and many seem to have low levels of activity regarding features and development. Moodle has serious momentum and is moving forward at a rapid pace.

Moodle is very stable and appears to be able to handle high loads.

Moodle is extensible. You can add the modules you require.

Moodle is customizable. There are many many options that can be adjusted to suit your needs.

There are many other reasons but these are my main ones.

by Bill Noyes -

There ARE other free e-learning systems?

Anyway, I'm trying it because my provider (rochenhost.com) includes it as an auto-install script. Bn

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Fabian

Herebelow is a review I sent to a mailing list recently. I would like to be able to explain the reasons for my choice more. There is a great comparison site posted some on the meetings/conferences forum I believe. Here it is, thanks to Jacob Romeyn

http://www.edutools.info/course/compare/index.jsp

here is my review/plug. I would be interested in other peoples Moodle raves. There is a "buzz" page on this site, of course.

Moodle and Constructivism

The Moodle software suite is particularly effective at: providing information (resources, documents, images etc), opportunities to discuss that information (e.g. one click creation of forums, and chat spaces), and cooperate in providing

information (eg. student uploaded resources, and wiki-style cooperatively produced archives). Thus, Moodle is  learner-centered, cooperative, interactive,

transparent, and geared towards developing intrinsic motivation through these means. Hence Moodle is "constructivist", and generally 'right-on'.

However, due to this emphasis on "constructivist" learning, earlier versions of Moodle were a little weak (compared to commercial systems such as Blackboard and WebCT) in the areas of teacher-centered control of the learning process such as triggering and testing.

Triggering refers to the concealment and controlled availability of recourses, such that, for example, a test only becomes available once students have viewed a particular resource, or a resource only becomes available when students have achieved a certain score in a test. Date triggered, and instructor triggered resource (de-) concealment has long been available in Moodle but the, "once you jump through the hoop" type triggered de-concealment functionality has been made available only very recently in additions to Moodle.  WebCT, on the other hand, has for some time
boasted a similar control option called "selective release."

While earlier versions of Moodle did have good, randomised, multi-format tests, (and the capability to import Blackboard and idirectly, WebCT format tests  since there are many defectors), it was only very recently that cheat-proof  timed "exams" were implemented using Moodle (with the addition of functions to disable ctrl-p, right click, the browswer back button, and include mulitple password protection, and auto submitting, etc.)  The latest Moodle tests are now so cheat-proof, that they are

used by a provider of online accreditation charging XXX$ to sit an exam. This sort of testing and 'learner-controlling' functionality is more suited to "make them memorise and test them afterwards," non-constructivist methodologies. I think that this is one of the areas in which the Methodology of Moodle may have (past tense) affected the range of pedagogies available to the Moodle user.

However, since Moodle is open source (you can see the source code, change it, add to it, and distribute it) and there are now thousands of educators using it and many  *contributing* to it, Moodle is growing at a pace that commercial software producers may find difficult to match. New activity modules (referring to things like Web Quest, dialogue, excercise, glossary, libary and journal modules) are being added weekly.

For this reason, the Moodle software suite has a functionality which now overflows the boundaries of the original creator's particular pedagogical proclivities. You can now use Moodle to put your students in an electronic straightjacket, jump through hoops, and make'em memorise, using a very non-constructivist pedagogy.

BlackBoard &. WebCT vs. Moodle

While the commercial systems may still have the edge in terms of number of institutions using their products, their popularity, in global terms, can be gauged in the number of languages into which they are translatied. How do these three systems rank in terms of number of language packs?

WebCT 16, Blackboard 23, Moodle 28*

(* Language pack survery Based on the information available at)
http://www.webct.com/intl/viewpage?name=intl_download_plugin http://www.blackboard.com/about/sitemap.htm (assuming there are separate language packs for all non-English speaking countries serviced) http://moodle.org/download/lang/ (not counting all versions of Spanish)
Perhaps someone can tell us about the advantages of using BlackB and WebC, as well as their approximate cost? These companies do not seem to like to mention the cost of their software on their web sites. And not surprisingly. There are some interesting documents on the web that indicate costs between 5000 - 50,000 USD per annum. About $30,000 a year seems typical.
http://alto.aber.ac.uk/Bb/Evaluation/commentstudent.asp
http://www.tacoma.ctc.edu/home/jmiller/faq.htm#cost
http://www.sau21.k12.nh.us/hajh/Web_Based_Learning.pdf
http://www.eberly.iup.edu/ABIT/proceedings%5CSharingTheKnowledge.pdf

The following document is particularly interesting, claiming a WebCT advantage over BlackBoard, and stressing learner control functions (such as "selective release") and the price of up to $44,000 to set up, and a mere $29,000 a year, as one of WebCT's strengths!
http://www.wit.ie/library/vles/WCTCompAdv.pdf
I notice no significant functionality that is not supported by Moodle. The only thing missing is the price tag, for the software. ( Full support, updating, and hosting comes at only $1000 per year.)

Moodle is mushrooming! Moodle is stable, powerful, fast, easy to use, and FREE. Please visit
http://www.moodle.org
or the forums at
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/index.php?id=5

Please note, the comments hereabove are my own opinions, *true only to the best of my knowledge*, and may have no relation to the those of Martin Dougmias,

the instigator of Moodle or the current situation of the commercial software about which I am largely unaware. I have no commercial interest in Moodle. I am merely a satisfied user. I am plugging Moodle because, the more of us that are using it, and improvining it, the better it will become.

BlackBoard is copyrigh of Blackboard Inc.
http://www.blackboard.com/
And WebCT is copyright WebCT In.
http://www.webct.com

Sincerely,

Timothy

Timothy Takemoto ne Williams
Associate Professor,
Yamaguchi University

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Fabian Schulz -

thanks for your replies! I really like to here more opinions, but I agree: a huge advantage from Moodle over other system is the great community ...

keep up the good work ...

PLEASE HELP ME SELL MOODLE!

by Timothy Takemoto -

Perhaps there should be a sepate forum for this.

I found out today that my university has a educational software research group that is pushing for the introduction of another EMS. I did not know that the research group even existed.

I need to make a presentation tomorrow after the professional presentation by the Intelect guy (aslo, strangely, a non-Japanese Japanophone).

Has anyone given any presentations of this type?

Tim

Re: PLEASE HELP ME SELL MOODLE!

by Jean-François Nadeau -

Hi!

I'm in a similar situation... The director of studies at my college chose a platform made in Canada, only available in French, very difficult to learn, free for now, but eventually for a price... The teachers had nothing to say about it... But since a few teachers were using Moodle, he decided to permit it's use. Moodle is gaining more and more users and it's not the case for the other one! smile

I did a demo to him and a few other persons wich consist of two part :

1. What Moodle can do.
  2. How easy teachers using Moodle can do it...

I didn't try to show everything Moodle can do because there too much for a short demo. Just the main things. I have used examples from real courses with students interactions.

Then I showed them how to create a few activity and add a few ressources... They agreed that it seems easy enough or at least accessible (for those without any knowledge of the Web).

With teachers, to show how easy Moodle is, to really give people  a feeling how easy it is to do things with Moodle, the best way I found was to have the people behind a computer and make them try a few tools (to put a document, to create a forum, ...). Again, only a few things... They come out from the experience saying how easy it is... They have the impression that they could master Moodle in no time... smile

I do not know if this helps... Best of luck to you!

Jean-François

by Dale Jones -
Tim, I sympathise completely! 
There might be a few useful pointers here
I was sure I'd seen a forum or resource somewhere with the focus being presentations on moodle, but I can't find it now.
Best of luck to you Tim

Dale Jones
In reply to Dale Jones

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
The presentations are at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=4333 if it helps.
In reply to Jon Bolton

by David Le Blanc -
I'm not sure if you put together these presentations Jon, but they are just great. I am presenting moodle at an upcoming conference in the British Columbia this April (BCEDOnline). I would like to borrow heavily from one of these powerpoint presentations. Do you know who I could refer to for permission?

Re: PLEASE HELP ME SELL MOODLE! - Top 10 and a summary on standards

by David Delgado -
Hi, Tim,

There are lots of reasons to use Moodle instead of any other e-learning platform (commercial or not). This is my "Top ten" (in no specific order):

1) About e-learning STANDARDS: there is already an SCORM module for Moodle (a contributed one). Moodle 1.2 can also import IMS QTI quizzes (and also WebCT and Blackboard ones). There is also a WebCT/IMS to Moodle conversion tool. You can also use external SCORM players and SCORM module creators (such as Reload). On the other hand, huge improvements in accesibility and e-learning standards are planned for Moodle 2.0 and 2.1 by the middle of this year.

2) It HAS EVERYTHING any e-learning platform has to have: good Forums, content managing (Resources), Quizzes with lots of different kind of questions and 9 more out-of-the-box activity modules (v1.2) (Assignment, Chat, Choice, Glossary, Journal, Label, Lesson, Survey and Workshop) and many other contributed ones (Appointment, Attendance, Dialogue, Excercise, Scheduller, Webwork, SCORM,...). It is so because Moodle is modular and can be easily extended creating activity modules.

3) It is VERY EASY to work with for teachers, students and admins. It is also easy to install and upgrade. It is even easy to develop new modules, since they are written in PHP, an easy script language.

4) It can be INTEGRATED with any corporate system via external database authentification. There is even a Postnuke plugin to integrate Moodle with it.

5) It was designed from the beginning by an unsatisfied WebCT admin, who has a degree in Computer Science and a Master in Education and wanted to make a much better system than WebCT (the best commercial one, in my opinion). So, its design involves both TECHNOLOGICAL AND PEDAGOGICAL thinking.

6) It is OPEN SOURCE. That means very fast development and bug fixing, and no tricks (you can see everything). Of course, it means also that it is free, and it has no license costs, so you can install as many servers as you want with no aditional cost. With commercial platforms, you get caught by closed technology and it is them who choose the prices. For example, WebCT grow a lot with low prices and then raised them a lot, when their customers had a large number of courses that were very difficult to move to another platform. They got lots of money with this policy, but now many WebCT ex-admins (as me) are moving towards other e-learning platforms. I have seen lots of WebCT and BlackBoard ex-admins in these forums that have moved their courses and users to Moodle.

7) It it TOPIC ORIENTED, instead of being funcion oriented as most of e-learning platforms are. This means that everything is organized around topics, wich have their own tools (such as forums, contents and quizzes). Most e-learning platforms are organized around tools: ALL the contents here, ALL the quizzes there, ALL the forums in another place,... Moodle approach is much more related to the modern concept of Learning Objects (though they are not really that)

8) Its main strenght: There is an AMAZING COMMUNITY of more than 1,200 very active people from all over the World working together in order to improve Moodle (Using Moodle). There are also a Documentation project, a Language teaching community, a place to Exchange Moodle courses, etc.

9) RELIABLE. It has been evolving since 1999 (since 2001 with the current architecture). 911 sites from 70 countries have registered their Moodle installation (that means that those are really serious production ones, since if they are not, they are rejected). The number of real Moodle installations is unknown, but there may be thousands. It is translated into 36 different languages. The biggest reported active site has 1,400 courses and about 17,000 students.

10) If you want, you can get COMMERCIAL SERVICES, such as inmediate support from Moodle developers, professional Moodle hosting and customized development for anything related to Moodle at: http://moodle.com . Anyway, you can develop your own Online training system without having to pay a single dollar for it.

I think it is enough to beat any other e-learning platform (and I know and have been working with many, including WebCT and Blackboard). Just use the facts and compare side by side with the commercial alternative and it would be very difficult for you to loose.

Hope this helps, and hope you and Moodle win another battle. smile
In reply to David Delgado

by Timothy Takemoto -

Thank you very much David Delgado, John Bolton, Jean-François Nadeau, and Dale Jones, particularly David for the Top 10.

1. I will base my presentation on David Delgado's top 10
  2. The power point presentation kindly pointed out by John and Dale and supplied by Martin Avery,
  3. Thomas Robb's Moodle for ESL article,
  4. the features list,
  5. Moodle Buzz
  6. and anything I can find on the forums, including the articles and suggestions above.  

If any other moodlers have any MORE TIPS ON MARKETING MOODLE then please post away.

I will ask some questions about specific points elsewere on the forums, once I have searched more thorooughly. The first thing that is confusing me is the SCORM module by Roberto Pinna. I have found the three main threads regarding the module but I am still confused about what it is. I will post there.

Open Office Org has a sort of marketing chapter or somesuch with a forum/mailing list and section of downloadable brochure type files. I can see the need.

Tim

by Françoise Blin -
Tim,

I don't know if this is useful, but you could also point out that a number of institutions have already made the decision to deploy Moodle university-wide after having tried other VLEs such as WebCT.

Here is a link to a recent press release from my own university (Dublin City University, Ireland).

Françoise
In reply to Françoise Blin

by Timothy Takemoto -
Thanks very much Francoise,
This is surely proof of the existance of synchronisity. I had just posted about the need to include this kind of data. But, at my present state of non-connection (igornance) Dublin City University is the only University that I know implements Moodle on a site wide basis. I should search the forums for more.
Tim

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Hi Tim,

The college I woked for until a month ago uses Moodle as the official (and the only one) e-learning platform. The numbers are quite small, though (28 courses, 350 users)
In reply to Françoise Blin

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Hi Françoise,

Could you possibly let us know how many users/courses are served at DCU?

Przemek
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Françoise Blin -
I don't know precisely (I will ask our moodle administrator) but from the information I can gather from the list of courses and the number of enrolled students, here are some figures: over 2000 users and about 130 courses.

I don't know how many of these courses are actually active (i.e. with real students taking real courses) but I did not count the "test courses" that many of us have had set up to experiment.

This is only the beginning however, as our second semester started only four weeks ago and Moodle was officially launched two weeks ago only. Some courses are also still running on WebCT until the end of this academic year. But after that, Moodle will be the only supported VLE.

We are very lucky to have a small but really dedicated and skilled team of people to support us (academics...) and to administrate Moodle. Without them, it would be impossible. The catch being that when you are working at an institution-wide scale, you just cannot upgrade every week and some flexibility is probably lost. What *I* want may be in contradiction with another colleague's requirements. But this is quite exciting as we have to find ways of accommodating different subjects and different approaches to teaching and learning.

Among many other things that attracted DCU to Moodle (such as the fact that it was Open Source and that WebCT had become far too expensive, not to mention the points cited in this discussion thread), one important factor, I think, was the possibilities for research and development that Moodle presents as well as its teaching and learning applications. Since Christmas, a number of cross faculties projects (Languages and Computing for instance) have been set up and funded. I think the research element was a significant factor in getting support from the university authorities.

Françoise

by Bill Click -

Well first of all we are a 6-8 middle school in central California.  I had been looking, for 3 years, for a testing package that would do the things that I wanted to do, at a cost we could afford.  September 2004 we discovered Moodle.  Since then I have built all quizzes that go along with our reading books into Moodle.  Our teachers love it.  Since then I have spoken with alot of other technology users at other sites about Moodle.  Everyone is quite amazed with what it can do.  A few of our teachers have gone off and created many new amazing things for their classes.  This is an amazing product.  You would think someone woud get the idea to sell this.  ;>}

Now I have math teachers asking about it.  Soon the science dept will discover what it can do for them.  Now if only history would come along, my work on earth would be done............

Anyway, please send our thanks to the team of developers for Moodle.  They are an amazingly talented bunch.

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

I can customise it by modifying the PHP code freely. Best of all, Moodle is free with no licensing fees. YAHOO!!!